Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting spoken sentences with 'so'

Options
  • 30-08-2020 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else notice an increase in this? Hearing it a lot on radio, podcasts etc

It seems to be the new trendy speech 'tick'...it's the new 'like'.

It's usually in response to a question, the 'so' indicating to the listener that they are about to receive a condescending education on something.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So what...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

So?

A lot of people have just become a performance..

What really wrecks my head is the emphatic hand movements..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

that's it, geddit outa yer system

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Going forward, I'd wish people didn't use this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Here in Canuckistan, listening to radio, both Canadian and American, I noticed it about 3 years ago. I hadn't noticed it before that time and it sort of blossomed into current speech and found it odd. I also find it annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Here in Canuckistan, listening to radio, both Canadian and American, I noticed it about 3 years ago. I hadn't noticed it before that time and it sort of blossomed into current speech and found it odd. I also find it annoying.

Interesting. I've only noticed it gaining traction on this side of the pond in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

You think initial 'So' is bad. What about the Mid-Atlantic Interrogative Intonation beloved of 'Irish' people:

https://youtu.be/yDZYCagHeqQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

So what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, no. Have/haven't noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The first recorded use of “so” as a sentence opener is in Chaucer's “Troilus and Criseyde”, published in the 1380s.

Looking forward to the posts complaining about this “new trend” of using the word staycation in about 650 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Em.

Bu-temmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

Can someone explain the "so" at the end of a sentence?
    Eg. I'm going to town, so.

markest wrote: »

...so.

I think that’s fairly self explanatory, is it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is a definite or indefinite article.

So so has’nt logged in since 2014

I trust he’s still so so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's as bad as "lookit".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So, a needle pulling thread
    La, a note to follow So

That second line is the lamest ever, very much in the 'If you can't say something nice...'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

So...
    So Dublin City Council has finally started to evict tenants who are in arrears and refuse to pay. OVER HALF of all their tenants are in arrears totalling €33m.
    so I was at party last weekend...
    so people with EU licenses (except uk) pay higher premiums.
    So i took the aircoach to dublin airport today
    So my neighbors are airbnbing out a spare room in the apartment next to us.
    so India is gonna send a mission to Mars.
    So a woman was visiting her husband in Castlrea prison, due to what I imagine was a mix up in communication, proceeds to pull down her jeans and knickers while going through the metal detector.
    So a study from the University of Amsterdamdraws a link between constant praise and narcissism in children.
    So a study says 70%+ of voices on Irish radio are male and it is suggested that radio producers do not look at gender balance.
    So if I book a taxi to the office for 14:00 and i get caught finishing a piece of work and only jump into the taxi at 14:10, invariably the meter will have been running for 10 minutes.
    So it seems that Saturdays in July are the most dangerous time to go outside as your likelihood of falling over and suiting someone are much higher.
    So this new act comes into force today, we now all have a legal right to defend our homes against intruders. About time!
    So the majority of street names on Google Maps are in Irish. Unfortunately I cant read Irish, making this once handy app pretty useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

L0usy so-and-so :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

So many people today are critical of the way others speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

An abbreviated version of so I am, so it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It Ain’t What You Don’t Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It’s What You Know for Sure That Just Ain’t So.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

A child's got more bones than a grown ups got. Dem bones dem bones need,
    Calcium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'm sooooooooooo like ye know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I do it a fair bit in work, usually cutting into someones convoluted bs excuse of why they didn't/couldn't follow simple procedures: "I was doing it it just like it said and...."
    "So, if you refer back to the documentation, work sample and previous instruction provided, there shouldn't be an issue".

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

I do it a fair bit in work, usually cutting into someones convoluted bs excuse of why they didn't/couldn't follow simple procedures: "I was doing it it just like it said and...."
    "So, if you refer back to the documentation, work sample and previous instruction provided, there shouldn't be an issue".

Why not use, 'But' or 'You need to understand' to start the sentence here.
    Using 'so' to start a sentence makes you sound like a corporate dick-sucker and a bit of a twat

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Starting sentences with 'So' is an Americanism brought here via the corporate companies. I have been hearing it since the late nineties. Usually used by those who have totally sold their soul to the corporate culture, go-getters, career climbers, a***lickers and other names for middle management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

If it's just the usual vacuous whinge or mental excretion of a Silicon Docklands Dub or wannabes down the country, then it's heinous. And they should be disappeared or dropped from helicopters like somewhere super focking grotty and deep like Dublin Bay ok?
    But if it's like setting the scene like an anally retentive Germanic Blofeld type before they elaborate on their mental machinations, well then it's just mega.

Example:

So. (Shortest position piece ever).

I don't expect you to talk Mr Bond, I expect you to die!!

Or some such bombastic technical treatise all heavily visualised prior to proceedings.

Advertisement