Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting spoken sentences with 'so'

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Starting sentences with 'So' is an Americanism brought here via the corporate companies. I have being hearing it since the late nineties. Usually used by those who have totally sold their soul to the corporate culture, go-getters, career climbers, a***lickers and other names for middle management.

They use it to give out to you too don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I so don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

They use it to give out to you too don't they?

Yes they do. Usually though it's used to sound important and 'tuned into the company culture'. Whatever the f*** that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Interesting. I've only noticed it gaining traction on this side of the pond in the last year.
    I noticed it here about 5 or 6 years ago, but not really in widespread use.
    This last year or two it has spread like wildfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I first noticed it, since the Covid pandemic. Most of the panelists at the nightly DOH press conference would answer a questions by first saying 'So'.... (pause) and then give the answer. I noticed it so often, that I thought it must have been a PR response technique that they were all trained in - maybe to give them a few seconds thinking time.

I never noticed it before, particularly, but it is widespread now.
    So.... there :)

• Advertisement

I'm terrible for this. Always have been though, nothing new. So it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

The OP has gone very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Starting sentences with 'So' is an Americanism brought here via the corporate companies. I have been hearing it since the late nineties. Usually used by those who have totally sold their soul to the corporate culture, go-getters, career climbers, a***lickers and other names for middle management.

It is an 'old' phenomenon in Ireland at this stage. I was with an American shower here in the late 90s and there was a whole pile of words readily used by the bosses that we scoffed at. They called themselves team leads. A lead was something we thought you put on a dog. A person can lead (verb) but you can't be a lead. They brought us into meetings but then told us we were in a huddle. Maybe they were trying to make out the work was fun like basketball. They would raise their voices at the end of a sentence as though they were asking you a question.

I went on to work for companies from England and Germany and they were all the same: trying to pretend they were more important than they were and trying to pretend that what whey were doing is more important than it was. Ireland has drifted away from manufacturing and towards services. A whole lot of billoxology goes with that so we seemed doomed to suffer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It has replaced "Well...." as the first word in an interview or answering a question etc. The pause to gather your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭redoctober

topper75 wrote: »
    It is an 'old' phenomenon in Ireland at this stage. I was with an American shower here in the late 90s and there was a whole pile of words readily used by the bosses that we scoffed at. They called themselves team leads. A lead was something we thought you put on a dog. A person can lead (verb) but you can't be a lead. They brought us into meetings but then told us we were in a huddle. Maybe they were trying to make out the work was fun like basketball. They would raise their voices at the end of a sentence as though they were asking you a question.

I went on to work for companies from England and Germany and they were all the same: trying to pretend they were more important than they were and trying to pretend that what whey were doing is more important than it was. Ireland has drifted away from manufacturing and towards services. A whole lot of billoxology goes with that so we seemed doomed to suffer it.

So glad I found this thread. (pun intended) Corporate types and corporate speech go hand in hand don't they? Sadly it's everywhere.

What about the the whole california free spirited entrepreneurial thing that blossomed into huge controlling corporate behemoths all over the world - telling us how free we are as they monitor our every move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭redoctober

It's as bad as "lookit".

Does anyone else find it grating when people say "dya know?" instead of "you know?" with a faux west of Ireland accent...I've come across that a few times...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Going forward, I'd wish people didn't use this.

I'm dealing with a lad from from a potential supplier and he somehow manages to insert the phrase 'let's circle back' in to every email. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Normally associated with people concerned to stay 'on message', the 'so' being a way of pausing while the correct preprepared answer is selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

iamstop wrote: »
    I'm dealing with a lad from from a potential supplier and he somehow manages to insert the phrase 'let's circle back' in to every email. :eek:

Going forward, let's circle back?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

This thread is only so-so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yer man Dr Houlihan started the trend here at the beginning of lockdown with his daily briefings and it seems to have caught on. Doesn’t bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So, I was in Soho last night and it was only so-so so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i get bull**** question dodging politician vibes from it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 genius200iq

All the rage in Dalkey and Foxrock, if you don't know and use it you must be a pleb

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

Going forward, let's circle back?

...whilst stepping up to the plate!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

so lo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

All the rage in Dalkey and Foxrock, if you don't know and use it you must be a pleb

That's quite an imagination you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ah leave them alone, they're probably Happy Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Oh my days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

So there's this new thing creeping into the online lexicon of starting sentences with "I mean", it's highly irritating and seems to be mostly the preserve of yanks on reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

So....going forward I'm super excited and happy out that we'll be touching base.

So, yeah I have noticed it and I disapprove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ah, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patob

Yer man Dr Houlihan started the trend here at the beginning of lockdown with his daily briefings and it seems to have caught on. Doesn’t bother me.

Yep, I called him Dr So when he came on with his daily updates. Dr De Gascun and most other Irish medics in the media use this same American corporate dross. Gets on my goat a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

They can say whatever stupid things they want, just not in croaky voice. I can't stand the sound of a woman talking croaky voice.

Advertisement