Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

'Twas I who posted many of the ideas there!

My war against magpies goes way back;)

Now in this new place I have to start all over again of course. But wee dog is mustard...Bounces up and down barking her little head off.
    snaps wrote: »
    Check out the nature/bird watching forum, you'll get some good hints on how to keep those buggers from your feeders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Supercell wrote: »
    Last February was slushy wet snow. This is different, is powder snow, far better to drive on.

With black ice underneath it!!!!

take care on the roads....saw a few cars and 4x4's in the ditch allready today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

I thought people were saying there was no grit up there ? Sure there giving it out for free to people and have loads as the bloke from Donegal CC said.

RTE even had pics of a lad up with a trailer filling him up because they wont get to his area .

He's full of crap if all the roads are passable why are so many schools closed till Monday! No one told us we could have free salt/grit we are a mile and a half down a country lane and the Co Council yard is on our road and they don't even grit this road they wait to get to the main road to turn on the gritters so I don't believe him for a minute:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well had to leave this thread as the snow evading here was too much :D

Luckily we got that Thunder Hail/Snow for around 15 minutes which coated us with about 2cms of hail.

The footpaths and roads around here are now lethal, you can't walk on the footpaths, literal ice rinks, so ya got to walk on the grass!

Roads icing over.

Its a proper freeze this but pity we coudn't of gotten 2 or 3 inches of snow out of that great crop of showers that grew in the Irish sea earlier.

This thread is huge but i will leave it open for another little while and open a fresh one later tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jeez, -1.8c outside already!

Really, did TV3 have a news crew in Roundwood?, would love to see that.
    11pm tonight.

-1.1c here now and freezing like the bollix.
    You'd want to be brave taking a car out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Havent seen the ECM myself yet. Snow event still on for the weekend then?

Hard to tell until we get the Precip charts Maq but according to the 6PM Radio Broadcast the potential is certainly increasing. Broadcast from Joan Blackburn.. The 6.50PM TV Broadcast will be telling on this one..

Must say also HIRLAM was very accurate this morning with it's predictions for today. With that in mind it is currently suggesting renewed snow showers developing into Eastern and Southeastern areas much later on Friday..

Definitely one to watch.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Well had to leave this thread as the snow evading here was too much :D

Luckily we got that Thunder Hail/Snow for around 15 minutes which coated us with about 2cms of hail.

The footpaths and roads around here are now lethal, you can't walk on the footpaths, literal ice rinks, so ya got to walk on the grass!

Roads icing over.

Its a proper freeze this but pity we coudn't of gotten 2 or 3 inches of snow out of that great crop of showers that grew in the Irish sea earlier.

so is that it till Sunday for the next chance of snow??

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I think its gas, a bit of bad weather and the entire country nearly shuts down. You'd think it was a blizzard here or something. Im on the northside of Dublin (supposedly one of the worst hit areas) right beside the coast in Raheny and there was no proper snow stuck, not enough to make a pea sized snowball!.

I mean judging by the reports it sounds like inches and inches fell. How many inches have been recorded at Dublin Airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Heh, and Dublin Fire Brigade were taking the micky out of Dublin Civil Defence after they acquired a second hand snow plow last year. It could come in useful yet!

Source please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Graces7 wrote: »
    'Twas I who posted many of the ideas there!

My war against magpies goes way back;)

Now in this new place I have to start all over again of course. But wee dog is mustard...Bounces up and down barking her little head off.

Fair play and thanks for your ideas then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Aoife9 wrote: »
    He's full of crap if all the roads are passable why are so many schools closed till Monday! No one told us we could have free salt/grit we are a mile and a half down a country lane and the Co Council yard is on our road and they don't even grit this road they wait to get to the main road to turn on the gritters so I don't believe him for a minute:(

I had a bit of a giggle when I looked at there (gritter's) two boys on the back of the truck lobbing it out with shovels !

Usual PR crap then, saying there giving it out to who ever needs it .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

11pm tonight.

-1.1c here now and freezing like the bollix.
    You'd want to be brave taking a car out tonight.

Same here :D
    Think I might get a record low tonight, its -2.7°C and dropping like a stone still.
    I wish I could be an eejit in a car sliding about, would be great craic..but i reckon i couldn't move at all , oh well...tis beautiful stuff.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone have a link to the HIRLAM output other than met.ie's 3-hour one? For the next few days, rather?

apeking wrote: »
    so is that it till Sunday for the next chance of snow??

Well no.

It looks like snow showers could again start affecting the East, Southeast from Friday evening.

And a bash of snow rain on the west coast is to push down the west tomorrow.

And then a low pushing up against the cold air towards Sunday/Monday/Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

A few snaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

bassy wrote: »
    Just listening to kcr radio and forecast is for 6 cm of snow to south and southeast Kilkenny tonite :)
    did they mention carlow? there is a good 1 1/2" here. But I hear in Borris, Myshall, Ballon and Bunclody there is anything from 3-6 inches.

Did anyone see the sky news long range forecast for sunday? I hope it comes through!!!!

Typical...A dreadful way to die trapped under ice.

"cats" are trendy here ...

ie yes they are....
    df1985 wrote: »
    people driving quads on frozen lakes in donegal??????? are they out of their minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thin covering of snow (maybe 1 cm) here in Grantstown/Ardkeen now! First time there's been any proper snow in my estate! Waterford usually misses out.

As soon as it fell, you could hear the sound of doors opening, and children in their winter woolies coming out to play!

The funniest thing is that I had forgotten the sound that fresh, untrod snow makes underfoot when you walk on it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Snowman10 wrote: »
    did they mention carlow? there is a good 1 1/2" here. But I hear in Borris, Myshall, Ballon and Bunclody there is anything from 3-6 inches.

Did anyone see the sky news long range forecast for sunday? I hope it comes through!!!!

Kclr weather?!! :D.......ermm......6cm of snow thats over 2", I dont think KCLR really know what they're talking about. I think it'll be mostly clear tonight with a harsh frost setting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Hehe, dont mention Feb 2009 to the Dubs :D

It wasnt spectacular unless you were a bit inland or at elevation..

Wrong there. We had over 6 inches or 15 cm of lying snow for most of that week in Blanchardstown/ Castleknock in Dublin suburbs.:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

temps plummeting in Newbridge ,

Temps -3.4

DP -5.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

-2c here already, setting up for - double figure temps

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow over for the night, time to chill..

1830.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Snowman10 wrote: »

What did they say???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

fricatus wrote: »
    Thin covering of snow (maybe 1 cm) here in Grantstown/Ardkeen now! First time there's been any proper snow in my estate! Waterford usually misses out.

As soon as it fell, you could hear the sound of doors opening, and children in their winter woolies coming out to play!

The funniest thing is that I had forgotten the sound that fresh, untrod snow makes underfoot when you walk on it! :D

Delighted for the Children. I really am. I did not think it would ever snow down there.

There was a lad with a trailer up here a while back; no idea how to use it..

It was probably him again..

and the man who tried to get me home that day I ventured out had a bucketful in the boot.

As did the ones who finally managed it.

ie total chaos.. would love to see that but cannot get videos or youtube.

Now if i could borrow a "cat"....

Only just read your edit!!!!

Only in Ireland!!!
    I thought people were saying there was no grit up there ? Sure there giving it out for free to people and have loads as the bloke from Donegal CC said.

RTE even had pics of a lad up with a trailer filling him up because they wont get to his area .

EDIT : As posted all ready , the reason they prob wont get to his area is because he is from Northern Ireland , the cheeky fecker .

Good spot on the yellow reg

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Just took me nearly 3 hours to get from Dublin Dame St to Finglas.

Never seen road conditions like it before in my life, cars slipping and sliding all over the place, couldnt make it up Whitworth rd. A number of cars had it blocked in their failed attempts..

Take care out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement