Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MysticMe

Hi Everyone and congratulations!
    Still don't quite believe my positive test this week, was a faint positive so testing again but look like I'll be due with baby no2 11th July 2019.

I have a 16 month old so things are going to be busy next year! Had my first public in the Coombe but going to go for the Rotunda this time. Also plan to do an early scan around 8 weeks. Anyone have symptoms yet? I had implantation bleeding which I didn't have on my first, other than that just the odd twinge in the uterus area!
    Congratulations! I had my test yesterday too, still cannot fully believe it's real:) I have some tenderness in the breast area, other than that nothing. My due date is around the 17th July, it's probably too early for sickness? I didn't have any with my first btw.

markc1184 wrote: »
    My partner had her first doctors appointment yesterday. Due 3rd of July. It's our first and has taken the guts of 2 years to get here. Elated is an understatement. Both her mother and sister suffered from bad morning sickness in their pregnancies so she is preparing for the same although has been well to this point.

Can I ask here what is the difference between going public or private. The option for private is available but unsure which option to go for.

There are three options: public, semi-private and private. DO you have a health insurance? As without it you won't get accepted to the semi-private and private.
    These two differs - with private you have a private consultant who takes care of everything, you have no waiting time and scan at every appointment. You'll have a private room after delivery (not always though, depends on how busy they are) It's costly though, roughly 3-5K nowadays. You will be able to get some back (around 20%, I think) with Med 1 form.
    Semi-private is another scheme, where you see the same consultant every time you have an appointment, as well as a team of midwives. Also "Visits will alternate with your GP under the combined care scheme and your GP will see you for your six-week postnatal check-up unless you have been requested to attend the hospital." You will have a semi-private room in the hospital (5-6 people, usually). The cost is about €1000.
    I hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

MysticMe wrote: »
    Thank you for support, it means a lot now. Yes, will be going public, a colleague was also happy with public care, so be it!
    What hospital were you with, if you don't mind me asking?
    I went to GP today to get a referral letter, so everything is official now :)

I was with Sligo last time. The midwives were exceptional. Got private scans done in Castlebar at 8 weeks and 12. Had check in appointment in hospital at 16 weeks with consultant, anomaly scan at around 20 and then was between gp and midwives clinic for the remainder of the pregnancy. Baby was delivered by midwives too but they were in constant contact with the consultant and her team so always working under her guidance. The team also popped in and out to check how everything was going throughout. Everything was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

There are three options: public, semi-private and private. DO you have a health insurance? As without it you won't get accepted to the semi-private and private.
    These two differs - with private you have a private consultant who takes care of everything, you have no waiting time and scan at every appointment. You'll have a private room after delivery (not always though, depends on how busy they are) It's costly though, roughly 3-5K nowadays. You will be able to get some back (around 20%, I think) with Med 1 form.
    Semi-private is another scheme, where you see the same consultant every time you have an appointment, as well as a team of midwives. Also "Visits will alternate with your GP under the combined care scheme and your GP will see you for your six-week postnatal check-up unless you have been requested to attend the hospital." You will have a semi-private room in the hospital (5-6 people, usually). The cost is about €1000.
    I hope this helps:)

Thank you. Yes there is VHI coverage. Something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mubre

I went to the GP on Wednesday, and she said she would refer me to Holla Street. Do I just wait for the hospital to contact me? How long should I expect till I hear from them. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Journey12345

Can anyone tell me what days/times are the antenatal classes in the Coombe.
    How long do they usually last?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Minnie2017

Can anyone tell me what days/times are the antenatal classes in the Coombe.
    How long do they usually last?

From memory, I think they give you options. We did ours in 1 day on a Saturday last time, but some friends done them one morning a week for a few weeks.

The physio classes used be on a weds morning but that was 2 years ago.

I’d defo book early if you want the Saturdays or the hypno birthing class as they book out quickly

Mubre wrote: »
    I went to the GP on Wednesday, and she said she would refer me to Holla Street. Do I just wait for the hospital to contact me? How long should I expect till I hear from them. Thanks.

I think I called the Holles Str myself with my first pregnancy. Yes, just looked at their website:
    You can book online to register with any of the Public Care Options below (apart from the Community Midwives) or alternatively, call the Central Booking Office: Monday to Friday: 08.30 - 16.00hrs. Tel: (01) 637 3288. You can also email cb at nmh.ie with any booking queries you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was with Sligo last time. The midwives were exceptional. Got private scans done in Castlebar at 8 weeks and 12. Had check in appointment in hospital at 16 weeks with consultant, anomaly scan at around 20 and then was between gp and midwives clinic for the remainder of the pregnancy. Baby was delivered by midwives too but they were in constant contact with the consultant and her team so always working under her guidance. The team also popped in and out to check how everything was going throughout. Everything was grand.

Hi.

I am wondering if they do 12 week scans in sligo hospital? I had my first baby in uk and they always do 12 week scans but online here I keep seeing just 20 week scans?

If you're a higher risk public patient, like over a certain age etc. they'll do it. It definitely isn't standard but everyone gets the anomaly scan at around 20 weeks in Sligo. Think some hospitals don't even do that! We are getting an 8 week and hopefully 12 week scan in Innervision in Castlebar. They're about €100 a pop and they're absolutely lovely there.

Hope everyone is doing OK. Have been struck down by a nasty case of gastroenteritis as well as the morning sickness. Never vomited so much in my life!!

• Advertisement

Hope everyone is doing OK. Have been struck down by a nasty case of gastroenteritis as well as the morning sickness. Never vomited so much in my life!!

Sorry to her this :( I'd be worried about dehydration, do you take much fluid during the day? I have some cramps in the upper abdominal after I eat something, I didn't have this before. I'm also nauseas (no vomiting though) and also feel very irritable all the time!
    I have to stop practicing yoga up until 14 weeks (teacher told me this) which is heartbreaking, as it's something I really enjoy. So, I'm jogging at a slow pace few times a week instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Hi all

So I have lovely nausea of late and a urine infection- I am complaining so much at work- the girls will cop it eventually. bought ginger biscuits but that is a huge give away

Hey ladies,

7.5 wks here now and the tiredness has hit big time. It’s coupled with some nights of ****ty sleep coz little man was sick too so I’m a ray of sunshine this week ha

Sorry to her this :( I'd be worried about dehydration, do you take much fluid during the day? I have some cramps in the upper abdominal after I eat something, I didn't have this before. I'm also nauseas (no vomiting though) and also feel very irritable all the time!
    I have to stop practicing yoga up until 14 weeks (teacher told me this) which is heartbreaking, as it's something I really enjoy. So, I'm jogging at a slow pace few times a week instead.

Went into gp and he gave me an anti nausea tablet to get through it so hopefully dehydration won't happen! Def need to get more water in though. Ah having to give up yoga is a pain. We'll all just have to take it easy I suppose!

Went into gp and he gave me an anti nausea tablet to get through it so hopefully dehydration won't happen! Def need to get more water in though. Ah having to give up yoga is a pain. We'll all just have to take it easy I suppose!

I just read another thread about cariban, some people are taking it for the whole pregnancy apparently! You should get better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Is there room for one more? I’m due my 4th baby early in July! Went to GP yesterday, so will be waiting to be called for my first opd appointment!

jlm29 wrote: »
    Is there room for one more? I’m due my 4th baby early in July! Went to GP yesterday, so will be waiting to be called for my first opd appointment!
    Hi jilm29, welcome! I'm due mid-July (according to the app I have:) ) and it's my second. How are you feeling?

Hi Jilm and welcome aboard :)

Hi jilm29, welcome! I'm due mid-July (according to the app I have:) ) and it's my second. How are you feeling?

I’ve been grand! A bit tired, but that could be because the children I already have are bad sleepers! July seems like so so long away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Just got a faint positive.. we only started trying this month, my son was one this weekend so it's all go! Delighted but a bit terrified as I lost my first pregnancy at 7 weeks.

• Advertisement

Just got a faint positive.. we only started trying this month, my son was one this weekend so it's all go! Delighted but a bit terrified as I lost my first pregnancy at 7 weeks.

It’s such a nervous time! Think all the positive thoughts!

And congratulations!

Welcome loveinapril, here’s hoping it all works out for you.

How’s all the ladies doing this week?

I have had heartburn for a few days and my boobs are starting to get tender. I had no sickness but permanent thrush for the last three months of my last pregnancy so am kind of okay with sore boobs and heartburn!

Minnie2017 wrote: »
    Welcome loveinapril, here’s hoping it all works out for you.

How’s all the ladies doing this week?

I'm a bit breathless. Also very tender in the chest area, got a new non-wired bra the last weekend - it feels so good!
    Refused to see a friend :) who has a flu. Still not telling anyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Hi all

so totally exhausted... heading to bed early most nights. I am still combination feeding my 13 month old she is sucking the life out of me- seriously need to wean her as the nausea, dehydration is wrecking me. So mommys any suggestions

Still not telling anyone though.

I have my work Chrisrmas do next week. I am the world's worst liar so I have already put the idea out there that I won't be drinking by telling one person that my husband has a night out that night and he rarely gets put so I will stay sober as my mam can't take my one year old for the whole night. Phew!! Probably overkill but I would die if it was insinuated on the night. For a wine lover, this is the worst time of the year to be newly pregnant!

dove2011 wrote: »
    Hi all

so totally exhausted... heading to bed early most nights. I am still combination feeding my 13 month old she is sucking the life out of me- seriously need to wean her as the nausea, dehydration is wrecking me. So mommys any suggestions

You'd better wean her for definite, I read about an oxytocin being released during the breastfeeding. I think it causes the womb to contract - this is probably nothing as I knew a few who were breastfeeding during pregnancy. The main thing is that you get tired((

I have my work Chrisrmas do next week. I am the world's worst liar so I have already put the idea out there that I won't be drinking by telling one person that my husband has a night out that night and he rarely gets put so I will stay sober as my mam can't take my one year old for the whole night. Phew!! Probably overkill but I would die if it was insinuated on the night. For a wine lover, this is the worst time of the year to be newly pregnant!
    Yes, I was thinking of a Christmas dinner, will probably lie as well. "On antibiotics now" works really well, actually ;)
    I have a bottle of Shiraz at home looking at me :) I'm not a huge drinker, but I was dying to have a glass for the last two weeks!
    I decided to have a tiny amount on New Years eve.

• Advertisement

I'm fine with the idea of not drinking, but others will definitely notice! I think I will just continously use my husband as an excuse, saying it's his turn to drink while I drive/ mammy.

Advertisement