Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on in Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options
  • 23-05-2020 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

So I used boards for a number of years and stopped. Due to the recent Covid, in lockdown and said it would be interesting to review politics etc so have been posting for about a week in Current Affairs/IMHO. Now I know the mods have. hard job but what the hell is going on?

You have a clear pack of Sinn Fein supporters. All on message and trolling the entire forum. NOBODY can have a conversation without getting abuse. Put it back on them and you will soon be thread banned. My first thread ban was because I said sharing of Linkedin details on boards shouldn't be allowed. This was to do with a young FG person who put up a stupid tweet. The SF supporters had a social media watch and put any information they could find about him on boards. The guy is not even a politician or councillor. He was targetted because he was a young FG supporter. We even had posts from people saying it was ok to share 16 year old details around the web because they had become a member of Young FG. So I get banned?

Then on next forum, I have now been banned for been condescending. One of the SF people posted about a vulture fund. I asked the poster what it was and they didn't know. Then started to insult me. I said I didn't want to discuss as I could be seen as condescending and I get banned.....please note this is a view of the posts that days from the posters. Not a single one of them got a warning or banning.

Poster had directed the thread to a hashtag which was a group of racist

please note the same poster is going on about belligerent Unionist and insulting them at every chance at the United Ireland thread. Are unionist not allowed on boards?
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    So this is not racism?
    (person details removed)
    Shows what happens when you let a non irish person run Ireland #notmytaoiseach

If not then what would you call it?

Poster then continues to saying post above is not racist. Defending the post
    It's a lie. Do you not see that one as well? Concentrate on the 'non Irish person' bit.
    Leo is Irish.
    Leo is NOT a 'non Irish person' He is as Irish as you and me.

It is false/a lie to say any different.

Standard personal abuse.
    He said Sinn Fein should do something about it, He knows they CANT.

Are you that stupid that you dont know he was wrong or are you a troll?

I happened to mention on another thread I have a 16 year old. This is then repeated on nearly every post as a personal attack and try to get a reaction. These are just two examples
    Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Link.this tweet.....this could be like your imaginary 16 year old,the other day?

Ive read last 80 or so tweets and the top 30 or tweets.....this isnt the sentiment atal.....your misrepresenting,what is being said

(Twitter deosnt have a sort by controversial option)
    Imo....its like your imaginary 16 year old

Its not there,i didnt find a single tweet,of a racist nature that your describing under that hashtag.....tbh i was suprised,there wasnt any

Your blowing smoke mate

Poster just joins every so often, always insults and demeaning all posters.
    McMurphy wrote: »
    Listen, I'm not trying to "demean" you, if you think I am, report it to the mods, they'll deal with it.

You (again) have proven that you like to post about stuff you know the square root of shag all about.

As has been pointed out to you already, trending on twitter isn't a group, or something you sign up to, it is the amount of times something/one is mentioned on twitter, hence why both the #notmytaoiseach and #varadkar are trending, the "Varadkar" part most likely being synonymous with the former (as in someone has posted Leo's surname)

Read more about it here

You'll no doubt refuse to accept the advice/correction or whatever you want to call it, (you've form)

It is best to keep quiet about things you know nothing about, never mind try and turn it back and imply the other person is the idiot "for not understanding" how things work.

Wonder if #brainfart ever trended on twitter?

Do you rely solely on WhatsApp and meme's for your news sources?

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0420/1132623-coronavirus-education/

I thought earlier on that you were just being deliberately obtuse.
    I did read your post. I even reread it.

You are aware of certain newsworthy stories because of WhatsApp and meme's. Meanwhile are blissfully unaware of other high profile headlines.

You couldn't make this up.
    I'm not trying to demean anyone - however do not place aspersions on anyone's character, of if they're "ignorant" on anything

The other day you didn't know what a vulture fund was lest we forget.
    Ain't that an ironic post.

Sweet baby Jesus.

You also have this clowns going on about getting drunk. This is also a regular post from this user
    Im not quite sure....what a load of dots and forward slashs ending in euro signs signifies in FG land

But im pished,so il agree with you here

Really what exactly is going on? Maybe I am wrong, maybe this is what boards is now.

I know one thing, you should be putting an age warning on the site if this is the sort of crap that you want published on the website.

Maybe someone could explain? from looking over the history is anyone challenges this group of users they end up getting banned.

Its been pointed out by a number of posters they think the group are sponsored or paid for by Sinn Fein as they are all on message and if one gets caught out the other swoops in. The forum seems to be monitored 24x7 as well.

If you are getting sponsored by Sinn Fein then I think you should at least put a reference to that on the top of the page

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Seeing as we're playing the quote-the-poster game here, I would like to add some balance to the thread.
    What’s a vulture fund Bowie?
    #notmytaoiseach has 56 followers and less than 2500 tweets. How desperate is that?

Do you actually understand what trending means?
    If you can't work out the issue then that on you, not on me.
    Sorry, what would you like to call them?

If you go around promoting the hashtag that’s a little different. You understand the difference?
    Find it yourself....
    Keep digging Francie, maybe insult some unionist while your at it....who is your next target?
    How many will times will you post about an imaginary 16 year old?

You can’t even use the shift or caps lock key, or to type a comprehendible sentence. Finding a tweet was always going to be a task too far for you.
    Where in the charter does it say I have to provide a source?

It’s your hashtag, off you go!!!

That's just a small subset of posts and responses I pulled from the same area of the thread you are quoting in the OP. The point being, it isn't a one way conversation, there are a bunch of you in it, and frankly, you are being equally as abrasive and condescending as the posters you feel are doing the same to you.

I may not personally like the level the conversation drops to at times but forum shouldn't be conflated with the Politics forum. The purpose of CA/IMHO is to provide a venue where posters can express their opinion on a topic without necessarily having to back up every statement with a reputable source - a pub conversation, in other words. The mods try to strike a balance between allowing a certain amount of conversation and banter to flow (within limits), without it going over the top.

I will look into the posts you quoted in your opening post, but at a glance, they are no better or worse than quite a lot of your own, and I'll apply the same eye to your own posts in that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

^^
    I didn't say I shouldn't have got banned. The issue I am pointing out is the treatment of one set of posters v the rest.

Look across the SF/FF/FG threads and anyone that is not a Sinn Fein supporters are immediately targeted. Any post is ridiculed. Personally I was called idiot, liar, stupid etc. Majority of posts have snide comments in them. Even I let slip I have a son which meant this was constantly fired out to try get a reaction.

Any chance the response is to demean the person. It's not from one poster, it is all of them.

Now if that is the way the forum is supposed to work? great. Tell everyone in the charter. But I read the charter.

I reported some of the issues to give examples this morning and I just got a message warning me of a forum ban if I don't stop.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

First of all, you are not banned from any forum, as you imply in your opening post, you were banned from a singular thread for responding to just about everybody in the manner I highlighted above with a small subset of your posts.

The absolute majority of what you reported was not what you claimed it to be - myself and another forum moderator (admin) both agreed on that. Quite a few RPs read as if you yourself are being needlessly argumentative, and when someone responds to you in kind, you report the post for the mods to sort it out.

Incidentally, seeing as you brought reported posts into the conversation, what I did find though was you threatening in one, "I can do this all day long....I will report hundreds of posts." And then reporting 30 in under an hour. Which absolutely is an abuse of the system. The mod team aren't your on call service industry workers who you can browbeat into doing your bidding.

There is a common denominator here. Have you considered adjusting your own posting style and perhaps people's responses would meter themselves accordingly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

mike_ie wrote: »
    First of all, you are not banned from any forum, as you imply in your opening post, you were banned from a singular thread for responding to just about everybody in the manner I highlighted above with a small subset of your posts.

The absolute majority of what you reported was not what you claimed it to be - myself and another forum moderator (admin) both agreed on that. Quite a few RPs read as if you yourself are being needlessly argumentative, and when someone responds to you in kind, you report the post for the mods to sort it out.

Incidentally, seeing as you brought reported posts into the conversation, what I did find though was you threatening in one, "I can do this all day long....I will report hundreds of posts." And then reporting 30 in under an hour. Which absolutely is an abuse of the system. The mod team aren't your on call service industry workers who you can browbeat into doing your bidding.

There is a common denominator here. Have you considered adjusting your own posting style and perhaps people's responses would meter themselves accordingly?

The forum ban was in reference to the other mod, when I asked for clarification I was told to stop or I would get a forum ban.

I reported the post to give you an example of the posts which are been ignored.

I have yet to get an answer:
    Is constantly making reference to someone child against the charter?
    Is calling someone stupid against the charter?
    Is constantly calling someone a liar with nothing to back it up against the charter?
    Is calling someone a goldfish brain against the charter?

If not, if this is all ok could I suggest you update the charter to let people know what to expect when going into the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement