Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ahh yeah - gave up on that after a few episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

A fillers episode in a dungeon and their only what 10eps in the season???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I dunno what this season is, but it's not star trek it's not even sci-fi at this point..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I didnt think they could do worse than season 1. I was wrong. The last 2 episodes of series 2 have made me angry at how bad Trek has become.

Season 3 can lick the spray of a skunk off roadkill for all I care. I wont be watching it no matter who is in it.

Someone having a nervous breakdown in present day setting is not SciFi. It's a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still stalled at episode 6. Usually for shows I'm only half invested in, I don't mind watching trailers for future episodes - just a thing I do to keep myself interested. For shows I'm stoked for its more of a blackout (so something like Snowpiercer I've been more intent to avoid spoilerage).

I say this because I watched a promo for episode 9 and wow, fúck this show with a rusty com badge. Nothing improves, the character writing seems to actually get worse - especially around the Borg Queen.

Oh, she's lonely, that's why she assimilates. All these hacks know is the shíttiest way to humanise villains.

Life's too short, and there's too much good TV out there to waste my time on this earth watching crap. Better to support some chipper Netflix show that needs my eyeballs than this nostalgic masturbation. And not even good masturbation; Stranger Things this is not. Just a parade of empty calories bookended by awful, amateur writing.

I have, genuinely,written better. Christ I've written better Boards posts than these scripts.

I hate time traveling tropes to the present day. I hate when a whole episode is in someones head. Cheap sets, and it's been done to death. Why not time travel into the future and have some escapism from present day problems....oh wait that IS SciFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

To be fair the spoilered thing has been established before. Seven even did it because she was lonely and scared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In isolation perhaps, but the execution is symptomatic of the shíte writing when it comes to character motivation or the emotionality of the cast. The René Picard is Depressed garbage the straw for this particular camel, this nonsense with the Borg Q icing on the cake of mixed metaphors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fair point.

I dunno what Discovery is. The ongoing nervous breakdown of Burnham or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I'm not what you might call choosy, not like some of the nuts who follow these things, I cant think of one Star Trek(told you, I'm simple) series I didn't enjoy UNTIL now.

Shocking, this series(2) is by far the worst attempt at Star Trek storytelling I have ever seen. Absolutely terrible

That award goes to Discovery (all of it) for me.

There's no strict rule as to what sci-fi is. "Old" Trek had plenty of duds as well. It's just we all have internet now to moan about it 😂

Oh I agree. I just don't like it.

Voyager in Ireland Fair Haven that's was quite something. Not quite Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Let's not forget that Janeway and Paris also had Salamander babies after traveling too fast in a shuttle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No, no, let's do exactly that. Forget about the Warp 10 experiment.

• Advertisement

Well Paris and Janeway seemed to have no problem never again mentioning their children and also leaving very "evolved" humans on an alien planet to wreck the ecosystem.

Would have been funny if the Discovery crew got to the 32nd century to find all the humans had "evolved"

Also where's Borg Baby.

That wasn't set in present day.

Unless your surroundings are very different to mine.

I thought we were just naming stupid episodes.

Farhaven wasn't present day either.

I can forgive a lot of magical science bollix - I wouldn't be a fan of Dr. Who if I couldn't - but bad character or tonal writing around it is a bridge too far. Who had fantastic characters and some really enjoyable dialogue and patter between them. Trek has had its own metric tonne of science nonsense but it was always surrounded by fun or charismatic characters you rooted for, or at the very least a competent committment to a particular goofy tone.

It might be trite and easy to say but I'd 100% take a Far Haven, Gangster Planet or warp 10 salamanders over the creative garbage fire this thin grool has produced. There are 21, Twenty One, executive producers for this show. 21 voices, none of them talented. Dear god.

I guess that's the issue. A bad episode is bag regardless of what's it's about. This season Picard's storyline is all over the place. The acting and the characters are fine. It just makes no sense thus far at least.

SNW is really going to make or break modern live action Star Trek. They've shown they can't do season long stories and if they can't do episodic either there's no hope.

All it needs to do is do some fun Space Adventures. I'm not expecting much but at least the trailers look like the show might be fun if nothing else; TOS more than TNG and sure at this stage that'll do. Picard and Discovery creak with such unending, obnoxious sincerity and self-seriousness I've forgotten what it's like to just have a Trek crew beam down to a planet and have a simple, A to B story. I suspect the quippy dialogue might drive me nuts mind you.

I'm certain it's gonna be disappointing to people who think it will be different to Disco. It's already full of call backs and canon mistakes just going by the trailers.It will be exactly more of the same.

I always knew Lower Decks was easier like because you don't have to take it seriously but I only realized a few days ago it's also the only Trek with a truly original crew and clean timeline. PIC/SNW/DIS/JJ are full of potential canon and backstory mistakes and have to change, disturb or rewrite established characters and that's before we get to Spock and his surprise girlfriends and family members.

Maybe clean unburdened Trek is the way to go which SNW is the exact opposite of.

Titles and one line synopses for the first five episodes were released earlier this week https://www.dailystartreknews.com/read/read-the-first-5-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-episode-synopses-courtesy-of-imdb Aside from episode 5, a comedy episode and overt reference in the title, it sounds like it could be good but then one line synopses for Discovery season one probably sounded interesting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

At least it looks like one episode stories and the synopsis sounds like they could be good

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

My big fear with 2 episodes left is Q gets his powers back, snaps his fingers and resolves the whole thing (just as all seems lost). Wouldn't put it past them.

Never liked Q episodes for that reason. I realize some people find them funny though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’d say that’s pretty inevitable. How else would all the damage to the timeline get unfooked

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The timeline so far is probably no more damaged than it was in Time's Arrow, Future's End, Past Tense, Little Green Men, or The Voyage Home assuming none of this will turn out to have been a predestination paradox all along.

Its damaged my timeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭De Bhál

mine too, I was wondering would it be just better for TV producers leave Star Trek all together now. Friday night, I was thinking this as it was going down hill before my eyes. Season 01 was the same, good enough start that descended into a right mess.

Discovery is unwatchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭corkie

From The Star Trek Experience in Vegas (long gone).

Someone Already Targeted Picard's Ancestor Before Star Trek Picard

Major plot hole aside, going by comments that was an interesting and positive experience for most.

I know RLM isn't for everyone, and sometimes it's hard to know where their skits & bits stop ... but watching their latest on Picard, and specifically the end where Mike seems genuinely beaten and resigned that his love for Trek might be irredeemably corrupted, is actually kinda sad. He and Rich always seemed very genuine, honest Trekkies for whom the series was a foundational part of their formative years - no more than myself, I'm the person I am because I grew up watching Sci-Fi of all shapes and sizes. It speaks to just how bad this series has been that it has now retroactively stained TNG for someone.

They obviously don't seem that bothered about Lower Decks and never mention it - though they had Jack Quaid as a guess on a recent video so there's obviously some kind of link with the show. Also sounds like they're also done with Picard as a whole and won't be touching Season 3. I get that; if TNG is already feeling brittle why further ruin the memories watching Michael Dorn play some "wrong" version of Worf.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

They had Jack Quaid on Best of the Worst alright. Decent episode but they didn't mention Star Trek of any kind. Seemed a bit strange, considering.

Picard has gone down the Discovery route. I've lost faith with it.

• Advertisement

Meh. Trek has been getting "irredeemably corrupted" for people since The Motion Picture.

Trek is like soccer. Everyone looks back that what they remember as a child as being how it's "supposed to be done"

This season of Picard is poor but it doesn't taint or stain or any other hyperbole. If you don't like it just forget it exists. That's what I've done with Discovery and Spock's "sister"

Bad writing is bad writing. I take your point that someone is always unhappy. But there has been a lot of Star Trek that has well received since the The Motion Picture.

Most critical viewer of Picard in our house has no baggage. We've been slowly catching up, but maybe I shouldn't have started them with DS9. Thus far we've gone 2 of the new movies, DS9, Voyager, a good bit through TNG. In fairness though the ending of DS9 built up enough mental scars to allow them endure most bad episodes since then. We've only skipped a few TNG episodes now and then.

You can't un-watch something so bad sequels or bad endings can absolutely taint the good bits.

I don't know. I don't like TNG that much but I can understand the idea of something foundational to your cultural identity being corrupted, your existing sense of the thing twisted; and can be a little depressing to find yourself dwelling on where it all went wrong rather than the good stuff. I get the impression TNG was the formative part of Mike's youth, if you watch RLM long enough the guy seems to be a bit of a giddy fanboy, despite the grumpy cynical facade he does for the videos.

To Picard, I think the standard of writing and production is below Season 1 TNG, or Season 3 of TOS. Discovery can at least be dismissed as its own self-contained entity, bring shíte over there where nobody's looking. Picard is a continuation of Jean Luc's life and exists as part of the TNG continuity. It's a harder one to ignore; a coda making all the wrong swings

Maybe it's just me.

Highlander II never ruined the original and that's the worst sequel ever.

A bad ending to a TV show (GOT for example) is very different to a tacked on epilogue 20 years later. To me when I watch TNG Picard's mother will have died a happy old woman with a French accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I guess one thing about the likes of TNG and the TOS cast films is they got off to a rocky start but subsequently redeemed themselves. Looking back on TNG season 1, I can see why fans of the original hated it. It was trying to be a poor facsimile of the original. Then Season 3 came along and it became its own wonderful thing, surpassing its predecessor. Similarly the movies redeemed themselves with "The Wrath of Khan" and "The Voyage Home". Maybe there's still time for Nu-Trek to redeem itself but it's not there yet.

Redemption arguably already came through Lower Decks, while there's a small, small chance Strange New Worlds might recapture the simple pleasures of episodic space adventures. Neither though have been headline shows though, the former presumably dismissed by many as a mere silly cartoon.

The RLM video said it and I'd agree: this is a "vanity" project for Patrick Stewart. Maybe somewhere along the line the actor and character merged, the former assuming primacy over the latter... cos while I took Season 1's Picard as a man stuck in a malaise, the majority has been someone almost alien to the Picard we know from TNG. Again to quote the video, Picard doesn't even speak like the captain. It's like the Nemesis Dune Buggy scene writ large; sometimes it just isn't the man who captained the Enterprise.

I've come to realize these new shows are just not written for me. I lived in hope that "if only Discovery does this or that next season everything will be ok" but these shows seem to be connecting with people who's idea of TV bears no relation to mine.

I still do it with "if only Rios had his own show" but it would just be Discovery with a paint job.

Stewart, Ryan and memberberries were able to paper over season 1 but that only goes so far.

Lower Decks is a different entity and will probably remain so. We won't get a live action equivalent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Drama queens. It’s not that bad. It’s just not that good.

I’ll watch anything with Patrick Stewart in it. I’ll watch anything called “Star Trek”. So I’ll definitely continue to watch Picard.

Star Trek will take twists and turns, but it’s still great. Disco was the worst so far, but I watched it all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
Advertisement