Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splatoon 2

Options
  • 17-01-2017 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Im super excited for this loved splatoon on my wiiu, im hoping they expand the single player version for this one, it seemed a little short, looking forward to the new weapons and specials, the duelies look amazing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

New Stage for splatoon 2 revealed looks deadly

C3K5Ou1VcAAG-2z.jpg
    http://wwg.com/2017/01/27/new-splatoon-2-stage-showcased-in-screenshots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

phzNrU4l.jpg

Voice chat confirmed.

...Via smart device...

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170201_2e.pdf page 19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I just can't see how you do Voice Chat on your smart device and have in-game audio - which is incredibly important in a game like Splatoon, if only so you can synchronize your Kid-Now / Squid-Now antics with your team... Some sort of proprietary headset that bluetooths to your phone and cables to your Switch and then blends the feeds?

But it sounds like it's going to be either/or, or figure-it-out-yourself. And normally you wait for someone to put their money down before you stick two fingers up at them and run away giggling with your filthy lucre.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, I can't see how that'll work, but I'll wait and see how they implement it before flinging dirt at their theoretical plans!

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    I just can't see how you do Voice Chat on your smart device and have in-game audio - which is incredibly important in a game like Splatoon, if only so you can synchronize your Kid-Now / Squid-Now antics with your team... Some sort of proprietary headset that bluetooths to your phone and cables to your Switch and then blends the feeds?

But it sounds like it's going to be either/or, or figure-it-out-yourself. And normally you wait for someone to put their money down before you stick two fingers up at them and run away giggling with your filthy lucre.

Audio streams to the phone obviously. Then you add in the voice over it. Or the audio streams to the switch along with the voice audio. Perfectly doable. This is Nintendo though who knows.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Audio streams to the phone obviously. Then you add in the voice over it. Or the audio streams to the switch along with the voice audio. Perfectly doable. This is Nintendo though who knows.

It's a bit of a weird decision though, I don't buy that rubbish from Reggie about having to carry around a 'bulky gamer headset'. And you'd wonder why nobody has ever done it this way before. What's wrong with using some form of headset with a mic?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It's a bit of a weird decision though, I don't buy that rubbish from Reggie about having to carry around a 'bulky gamer headset'. And you'd wonder why nobody has ever done it this way before. What's wrong with using some form of headset with a mic?

Yeah. It's a dumb decision if it's not on the console itself. Obtuse Nintendo being obtuse.

sligeach wrote: »

Thats disappointing if true, i would at least like the option of not using voice chat with strangers, but im still holding out for nintys offical online announcment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Well you say that, but what I'm struggling with is why the phone is needed at all. If you're streaming Switch audio to your phone, you're abdicating responsibility for audio fidelity to a 3rd party device that could be anything, and while that has some awesome repercussions if you have a bunch of Anker portable speakers dotted around the room, if you have a crappy Moto G gen 1 your Switch experience is not going to be all that impressive. If you're streaming audio from the phone to the switch, where's the benefit in involving the phone at all? It's just additional overhead. Having a separate UI? And if you're separating audio, relying on the phone for voice independently, then the phone's not adding much Nintendo-specific that you can't already do with 3rd party apps and a little organisation, and what you are relying on it to add I don't think i *would* rely on it being capable of given Ninty's patchy past with online offerings.

Anyway, let's wait and see :D

• Advertisement

It's probably because DeNA know how to make phone apps but not Nintendo apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

As soon as I heard you've to use a phone, I thought to myself this has something to do with kids. Nintendo are so, what's the word, paranoid, maybe that's not it, frightened of bad publicity or a scandal involving kids and the internet. This way, I think gives more protection and traceability should something go wrong. They can distance themselves and say it's a third party phone app separate from the Switch itself, perhaps. There must be some reason why they've made it more awkward and convoluted than it's previously been or needs to be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

As soon as I heard you've to use a phone, I thought to myself this has something to do with kids. Nintendo are so, what's the word, paranoid, maybe that's not it, frightened of bad publicity or a scandal involving kids and the internet. This way, I think gives more protection and traceability should something go wrong. They can distance themselves and say it's a third party phone app separate from the Switch itself, perhaps. There must be some reason why they've made it more awkward and convoluted than it's previously been or needs to be.

I don't think that's the case. It's not a 3rd party app, it'll be an official Nintendo companion app, remember you're paying for it with your yearly sub. No chance they could distance themselves from it. But I don't think they need to worry about that kind of thing - the welfare of kids online is the responsibility of parents, not Nintendo, especially if you allow your child to have a mobile phone.

It's awkward and convoluted because they're thinking when it comes to online is backwards.

If that was true surely they'd let us talk to strangers in game, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If that was true surely they'd let us talk to strangers in game, right?

It's Nintendo, of course they won't. Everything with them is baby steps. Remember how they said there was no need for voicechat in Splatoon?

"We want everyone to play this game from the same point, so that all players – those who haven't played shooters before, as well as those who have – can enjoy the game. Getting to this though meant going through a selection process for all features that should appear in the game, and as part of this process we decided to leave out voice chat.

We think there are two reasons for wanting to use it: to play strategically, and to know what you opponent is feeling. We designed the game so that it's still possible to play strategically, while also giving due consideration so that there is no extreme advantage one way or the other. In terms of knowing what your opponent is feeling, we really do understand the fun that can be had with this, but we hope that you will also understand that it can also have a negative effect too."
    - Splatoon producer Hisashi Nogami.

Funny how they've changed their tune and it's o.k. now for some people to have an advantage.

Interview with splatoon 2 producer
    Japanese website 4Gamer put up a new interview with Splatoon 2 producer Hisashi Nogami today. Nogami touched on a variety of topics, including the setting, weapons / stages, gear, single-player campaign, amiibo, online, and quite a bit more.

We now have a pretty in-depth summary of what Nogami shared. Continue on below for our translation.

Weapon types and stages

Nogami still can’t say much, but Nintendo wants to bring about the same type of enjoyment as the first title by introducing weapon updates in a similar kind of way. Also, for players who already decided on using a particular weapon type, Nintendo will prepare more variation so that they become interested in wanting to use other types.

Four stages were shown in the trailer. Three of them are new while the other one has been refreshed from the original game with new gimmicks. Nogami says other stages will be returning as well, but with new elements.

On the setting

Just like in the real world, two years have passed in Splatoon 2’s world. Music in the last game sounded like pure rock. Since two years had passed, tastes have changed, and young residents of the squid world now tend to listen music that’s a bit more advanced and with a twisted feel, which is featured in the game itself.

Gear

Some gear will be carried over from the original, but the developers will add in a lot of new content here. There are completely new designs, and just like sneakers in our world, even if the shape is the same, coloring trends tend to change. That kind of thing is reflected in Splatoon 2. Nogami also basically seems to talk about how in the ’90s, high-tech Nike sneakers may have been hip, but it was later outdated and wearing more low-cut sneakers would be popular. The same kind of thing is happening in the squid world.

About different user interface from Wii U to Switch

The team purposely tried keeping the same game properties and main controls from Wii U. Even on Wii U, you can’t see two different displays at once. When playing on that console, you were moving your gaze back and forth. Nintendo essentially replaced that with button controls.

New map display system

Nintendo came up with the current system after plenty of trial and error. In Splatoon 2, players can still control their character while displaying the map. The map was fixed in a bird’s-eye view on Wii U, but if you move with gyro controls, the map also moves. Nintendo wants the map to be viewed in a 3D sense. That way you can more easily recognize where enemies are or where areas have been painted (and maybe how much your team / the opposition has painted in terms of percentage).

Super Jump

Nogami was asked about touch controls for Super Jump. Nintendo experimented in various ways, but ultimately decided to only use buttons.

Single-player campaign

Splatoon 2 will of course have a single-player campaign just like the original. The Squid Research Lab is still “researching” it, but it is planned to have the same volume of content as the first title. Also, like the last game, Nintendo wants the campaign to serve as a way of players to become familiar with the controls if they’re hesitant to jump right into the competitive scene. They also want to show the depth of the squid world similar to what had done with Sunken Scroll.

amiibo

Since fans bought the amiibo and feel attached to them, he will make sure that they can be used in Splatoon 2. Nogami asks fans to keep the figures with them.

Online service / subscription

Splatoon 2 will naturally be a part of Switch’s overall online service / subscription. Nogami talks about how if you post something like, “Does someone want to battle?” on social media, you can get together with others and create a nice temporal community. Then you can battle while communicating via voice chat, and when it’s finished, you can dissolve the community. Nintendo is planning on building a system so players can do things like this easily.

Splatfests

The Squid Research Lab is “researching” this, but would like to host regular events which players can look forward to.

About no Miiverse

Miiverse posts worked especially well during Splatfests. As an example, when there was the “Cat vs. Dog” competition, a lot of player posts were sort of like memes. It was almost like a call and response between developers and players. There is no Miiverse on Switch, but Nogami wants to create a similar feature which will generate the same kind of excitement which is created by the interaction between developers and players.

Lag

Dealing with lag is difficult, but Nintendo is considering various ways of dealing with it. The transmission data size has been decreased thanks to some optimization, meaning connection errors will happen less than in the first Splatoon. Also, Nintendo will be trying to match players who are closer together or on a similar communication quality as much as possible. Various improvements from the last game are being implemented in Splatoon 2 as well.

4Gamer asked if players will be matched together based on similar bandwidth usability. Nogami responds that a person’s internet connection quality can’t just be judged by throughput, since various elements need to be considered, so Nintendo isn’t just measuring with one regulation. Nogami also said Nintendo is trying to improve various layers of communication quality issues.

New players

Splatoon was a new IP on Wii U, so everyone could begin from the same starting point. But with Splatoon 2, there are those who played the last one and others who will be coming in completely new. Nogami wants both types of players to be satisfied. In order to strike a balance, Nintendo is putting an emphasis on making Splatoon 2 fun to control and play above all else. Strategy comes comes after that. Nogami points out how if you don’t feel enjoyment when you kick a ball, you won’t want to continue playing soccer. He thinks strategy will be built by players gradually, and wants to grow the environment together with players. If Nintendo adds new weapons and stages at once, some players will be left behind, so content will be added by carefully watching how players interact with the game.

http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-2-producer-on-the-setting-weapons-stages-gear-single-player-campaign-amiibo-online-more/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Same volume of single player content? Was hoping for a lot more.

If music tastes have changed, doe sthat mean they've moved on from Callie and Mari? Or hve they gone in a new directon?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Same volume of single player content? Was hoping for a lot more.

If music tastes have changed, doe sthat mean they've moved on from Callie and Mari? Or hve they gone in a new directon?

And its another tutorial for the controls again, which i understand is needed, but they could do the tutorial the same way they did the controls when you first start splatoon with popping the balloons and an option to do it over again from the plaza , id love if they would do a long non turtorial campaign instead.

Funny how they've changed their tune and it's o.k. now for some people to have an advantage.

Kimishima said at the investors thingymagig that they added it "for western fans".

Splatoon 2 to feature spectator mode:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/830265306702508033

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Global test fire coming late March. They did the same for the Wii U version and it really sold me on the game...

http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-2-global-testfire-announced-for-late-march/

March 24

12-12:59 p.m. PT / 3-3:59 p.m. ET
    8-8:59 p.m. PT / 11-11:59 p.m. ET

March 25

4-4:59 a.m. PT / 7-7:59 a.m. ET

March 26

Mr E wrote: »
    Global test fire coming late March. They did the same for the Wii U version and it really sold me on the game...

http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-2-global-testfire-announced-for-late-march/

March 24

March 25

March 26

Proper times for proper people:

March 24

8pm - 9pm / 20:00 - 20:59
    4am - 5am / 04:00 - 04:59

March 25

12 noon - 1pm / 12:00 - 12:59

March 26

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well thats nice. Wonder what the file size is.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/158440174834/were-happy-to-report-that-the-upcoming-global

We’re happy to report that the upcoming Global Testfire will include two stages to battle on: The Reef & Musselforge Fitness.
    These stages will be randomly chosen throughout the event.

tumblr_omtjyfMwOT1u3akyno2_540.jpg

tumblr_omtjyfMwOT1u3akyno1_540.jpg

So the kids have moved on from Callie and Marie. Meet their new faves, Wet Floor

Proper times for proper people:

March 24

March 25

March 26

Just seeing the times in the eShop thread made me realise these times aren't right either. Easy mistake to make but the US time changed a couple weeks ago so they're an hour less behind us until Sunday morning.

So they should be

March 24

7pm - 8pm / 19:00 - 19:59
    3am - 4am / 03:00 - 03:59

March 25

11am - 12 noon / 11:00 - 11:59
    7pm - 8pm / 19:00 - 19:59

March 26

• Advertisement

So looks like I'll miss tomorrow. Will try and get the 11 Saturday morning one

Advertisement