Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Kenzothe wrote: »
    Jaysus they should bring in urinals for guide dogs next!

Yeah I was just thinking the exact same thing.......said no one else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Yes 2014.. I was lucky enough to be watching them in the flesh at Glastonbury, a real musical highlight. Would be a welcome return if touring.

Was standing somewhere alongside you. Excellent, weren't they? They were also supposed to have Lorde on to do Royals with them but her Dad forced her to have a rest. My last trip to Glasto, and given the demand it's maybe my last ever.

My wife has hidden my will and life insurance policy... Told me that I don't need them anymore

Draft new ones. All proceeds to be left to Boardsies for a wake at the Salty Dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/sep/16/john-squire-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw

Time to drop the Stone Roses from the wishlists then. John Squire confirms they called it quits in 2017 and that that's it. Ian Brown isn't invited to the opening of his art show either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/sep/16/john-squire-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw

Time to drop the Stone Roses from the wishlists then. John Squire confirms they called it quits in 2017 and that that's it. Ian Brown isn't invited to the opening of his art show either...

Just get Johnny Marr to step in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Davysulls86

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Draft new ones. All proceeds to be left to Boardsies for a wake at the Salty Dog.

There'd be a can of beer each, and maybe some chips

There'd be a can of beer each, and maybe some chips

Could you stretch to some mayo with the fries?

Could you stretch to some mayo with the fries?

Ye can get that from the counter of chunky chips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I used to keep my gig tickets inside the DVD Edition of 2001 A Space Odyssey that I have (nice book sized case with 70mm cell in it).

Switched a few years ago to inside the cover of David Byrne's How Music Works as it seemed far more appropriate.

Where do you keep the cattle prod and glitter!

Watching the Arcade Fire 2014 gig now. Sounding a bit special. Surely a chance of them and LCD next year if both on tour. ATN can't afford either so surely only dates or standalone shows would get in the way?

Getting that duo would soften the thud of Picture This grabbing the third slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Where do you keep the cattle prod and glitter!

It's Seathrun66 with the cattle prod fixation. I keep my glitter in my car boot emergency kit box like every normal man.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Watching the Arcade Fire 2014 gig now. Sounding a bit special. Surely a chance of them and LCD next year if both on tour. ATN can't afford either so surely only dates or standalone shows would get in the way?

Getting that duo would soften the thud of Picture This grabbing the third slot.

ATN could easily afford LCD. They had the National this year who would definitely be charging more.

It's Seathrun66 with the cattle prod fixation. I keep my glitter in my car boot emergency kit box like every normal man.

Ahem. Slanderous stuff. I'm the taser & glitter man.

sydthebeat has the cattle prod on standby.

ATN could easily afford LCD. They had the National this year who would definitely be charging more.

LCD are Coachella headliners and their last album was a US number one. I'd expect them to be a more expensive booking than The National who are slightly fading away in terms of sales though still a big draw. Didn't LCD wallop the EP budget for 2016 and restrict their outlay on acts according to some poster here with greater info on booking fees?

ATN may have their capacity reduced next year which would affect their ability to book big acts. Murphy also has a much stronger relationship with EP so I can't see it happening.

But if ATN manage to get LCD then I'll be very envious of all you heading there.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Don't think LCD are doing much at the moment so i'd rule them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭rubick

This is exactly what Lyn and I have been saying re: ATN - we'll not bother getting tickets yet but there will be at least one standout act that give us the FOMO and we'll be there again this year.

Also, great to miss a few days on the Board and suddenly LCD Soundsystem are being tipped, what a world lads!

Snarky Snark Snark

Ahem. Slanderous stuff. I'm the taser & glitter man.

sydthebeat has the cattle prod on standby.

Apologies, we need a listing of who prefers which electrical implement.

A top trumps of torture so to speak...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

Tame Impala would be more likely I'd say, their new album should eventually be out by next year (they've really toured the arse out of the last one).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

tickets arrived yesterday..

*starts to follow 2020 thread again*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Put me down for the toaster.

• Advertisement

In that case could I swap my taser for the Catherine Wheel in my Men's Shed? May need to enlist some boardsies to sneak it past security.

Snarky Snark Snark

In that case could I swap my taser for the Catherine Wheel in my Men's Shed?

you spin me right round baby right round....

Anyone see the Guardian list of the albums of this century thus far? Many have played EP, many omissions as per & some goodies but for me it's an impressively tatty list.

If there was a Top 100 list of absolutely fuc*ing awful lists this would make the top five.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/100-best-albums-of-the-21st-century

Anyone see the Guardian list of the albums of this century thus far? Many have played EP, many omissions as per & some goodies but for me it's an impressively tatty list.

If there was a Top 100 list of absolutely fuc*ing awful lists this would make the top five.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/100-best-albums-of-the-21st-century

Some good, some bad - no surprises in there. Lots missing that I'd have.

What would be on your list that didn't make the cut?

The methodology always leads to middle of the road stuff being ranked higher than it should be:
    This list was voted for by a panel of 45 Guardian music writers, who ranked their 20 favourite albums from 2000 to 2019 inclusive. Twenty points were allocated for a No 1 choice, down to one point for No 20. These points were totalled up, resulting in the following ranking. A total of 454 different albums were voted for.

Interesting thing I thought, though - there wasn't a single album from 2019 on there. Given that it's only covering a period of 20 years, you'd imagine something would have made it in and two 2019 films made the cut.

Bon Iver, James Blake, Thom Yorke, Julia Jacklin, Sharon Van Etten, the National and Vampire Weekend all made albums better than some on the list IMO, and Big Thief is a critical darling, even if I don't see the fuss myself!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

an awful lot of sh!te in the top 50 there...... much better albums in the 50 -100 list....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

sydthebeat wrote: »
    an awful lot of sh!te in the top 50 there...... much better albums in the 50 -100 list....

I'd go one further there and put it out that there are far better albums in 101-454!

None of mine are there

The methodology always leads to middle of the road stuff being ranked higher than it should be:

Interesting thing I thought, though - there wasn't a single album from 2019 on there. Given that it's only covering a period of 20 years, you'd imagine something would have made it in and two 2019 films made the cut.

Bon Iver, James Blake, Thom Yorke, Julia Jacklin, Sharon Van Etten, the National and Vampire Weekend all made albums better than some on the list IMO, and Big Thief is a critical darling, even if I don't see the fuss myself!

Hard to do a definitive list but off the top of my head missing from that list are Fever Ray, Kamasi Washington, TV on the Radio, The Good The Bad and the Queen, Blur, Gorillaz, MGMT, Grandaddy, Grizzly Bear, Sigur Ros, Sleaford Mods, Animal Collective, Wilco, Flaming Lips, Michael Kiwanuka, Midlake, Tame Impala, My Bloody Valentine, Libertines, Deerhunter and Caribou. It's entirely subjective but I'd have albums by all on my list.

Poorside wrote: »
    Put me down for the toaster.

I like blaring Westlife in their direction

And I'd also add in The Delines and Beck's Sea Change plus Bowie's Heathen. Father John Misty, Matthew E White, New Order last album and a couple dozen more I can't remember now.

• Advertisement

Hard to do a definitive list but off the top of my head missing from that list are Fever Ray, Kamasi Washington, TV on the Radio, The Good The Bad and the Queen, Blur, Gorillaz, MGMT, Grandaddy, Grizzly Bear, Sigur Ros, Sleaford Mods, Animal Collective, Wilco, Flaming Lips, Michael Kiwanuka, Midlake, Tame Impala, My Bloody Valentine, Libertines, Deerhunter and Caribou. It's entirely subjective but I'd have albums by all on my list.

Ah yeah, of course - I was just trying to come up some myself that I'd be adding in.

Most of the comments under it are broad (and fair) criticisms - not enough metal, not enough world music - but very light in suggestions. I'm never going to discover anything new if people don't point out specific albums. :P

I don't know you'd even go about narrowing a top 10.

Even if I limited myself to one album per band, I'd still be trying to cram in...

The National
    Bon Iver
    LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    Arctic Monkeys
    Mitski
    Radiohead
    The White Stripes
    Sufjan Stevens
    Wilco

And that's without getting to literally dozens of other bands I'd want in there. And the fact that most of those have at least 2 albums worthy of a spot in the top ten! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement