Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭rubick

I wonder how much the list was influenced by the question, "Is this available on a streaming platform so we can get affiliate cashback?" given the handy link after each entry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

rubick wrote: »
    I wonder how much the list was influenced by the question, "Is this available on a streaming platform so we can get affiliate cashback?" given the handy link after each entry?

Eh... I dunno tbh.

How many widescale releases are not available on Spotify these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Rolling Stone 3rd best album of the 2000s. Pitchfork 4th and Paste 2nd best album of that decade.

A Ghost is Born - Grammy winner and again critically lauded.

Suggests that the 2010s were a much greater era if Wilco were excluded. Bah humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Rolling Stone 3rd best album of the 2000s. Pitchfork 4th and Paste 2nd best album of that decade.

A Ghost is Born - Grammy winner and again critically lauded.

Suggests that the 2010s were a much greater era if Wilco were excluded. Bah humbug!

Had to make room for all the beyonce

sweetie wrote: »
    Had to make room for all the beyonce

Lemonade is a stone cold classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Lemonade is a stone cold classic.

I've heard it's very good alright, not on Spotify unfortunately. I'm more of a Solange guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

sweetie wrote: »
    I've heard it's very good alright, not on Spotify unfortunately. I'm more of a Solange guy.

It's on Spotify just in case you wanted to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Davysulls86

System of a Down touring next year... I know its a non runner, but could you imagine the carnage if they played the EA on the Saturday night

System of a Down touring next year... I know its a non runner, but could you imagine the carnage if they played the EA on the Saturday night

Ireland really does lack an outlet for metal fans when it comes to festivals and big outdoor events, doesn't it?

I remember when I was a teenager, plenty of my friends heading to Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc in big outdoor shows. I know there are plenty of smaller shows and really active venues, promoters and bands in a pretty vibrant scene here, but there's a real gap (as far as I can see) when it comes to big outdoor shows, festivals, etc.

If System are just doing festivals next summer, as has been suggested, they'll likely miss out on Ireland entirely - it's hard to see Forbidden Fruit, Longitude, ATN or EP booking them!

But a well priced, one off show with a solid support bill in Kilmainham or Malahide or something would attract a crowd, I would think.

Download 2020 is taking place in June. There's surely 4/5 bands from that that an Irish promoter could slice off to package as a one-day festival in Dublin, right?

I mean, the 2019 bill has a heap of bands that you know would draw a crowd here - the Sunday alone had Tool, the Smashing Pumpkins, Lamb of God, Slayer, Dreamtheatre, etc.

I'm not too up to speed with modern metal but it looks like a no brainer if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Ireland really does lack an outlet for metal fans when it comes to festivals and big outdoor events, doesn't it?

I remember when I was a teenager, plenty of my friends heading to Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc in big outdoor shows. I know there are plenty of smaller shows and really active venues, promoters and bands in a pretty vibrant scene here, but there's a real gap (as far as I can see) when it comes to big outdoor shows, festivals, etc.

If System are just doing festivals next summer, as has been suggested, they'll likely miss out on Ireland entirely - it's hard to see Forbidden Fruit, Longitude, ATN or EP booking them!

But a well priced, one off show with a solid support bill in Kilmainham or Malahide or something would attract a crowd, I would think.

Download 2020 is taking place in June. There's surely 4/5 bands from that that an Irish promoter could slice off to package as a one-day festival in Dublin, right?

I mean, the 2019 bill has a heap of bands that you know would draw a crowd here - the Sunday alone had Tool, the Smashing Pumpkins, Lamb of God, Slayer, Dreamtheatre, etc.

I'm not too up to speed with modern metal but it looks like a no brainer if you ask me...

I hope they come, they usually skip Ireland.

Reckon kilmainham would be good size, had Green day in past.

• Advertisement

Don't think LCD are doing much at the moment so i'd rule them out.

Murphy has never spent three years away from EP before so I'm hoping that withdrawal symptoms are kicking in.

Murphy has never spent three years away from EP before so I'm hoping that withdrawal symptoms are kicking in.

This is the kind of stat that will get me through until next August.

This is the kind of stat that will get me through until next August.

Four LCD appearances, one Despacio, one DJ set with Pat Mahoney and I think two on his own. If I'm right he was never missing for two years never mind three. If touring then EP should be favourites to grab them.

Four LCD appearances, one Despacio, one DJ set with Pat Mahoney and I think two on his own. If I'm right he was never missing for two years never mind three. If touring then EP should be favourites to grab them.

Is there any hint that they are touring yet?

I know it's very early days.

Is there any hint that they are touring yet?

I know it's very early days.

None at all. Nor for Arcade Fire or Tame Impala. All due a Stradbally return. If any are touring in late Summer then EP must surely be faves to pick up at least one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I would love if despacio came back

None at all. Nor for Arcade Fire or Tame Impala. All due a Stradbally return. If any are touring in late Summer then EP must surely be faves to pick up at least one of them.

I expected an Arcade Fire tour announcement around now. It was the 15th anniversary of the release of Funeral last weekend and they teased it a bit beforehand. So far, it's just been archival footage and pictures so maybe there's no immediate plan to tour.

Tame Impala, I'd have expected to release the new album by now too. We've had two singles and a tour already so not sure what the delay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Stillill42

More importantly, next year marks the 15th anniversary of Arcade Fire's legendary EP performance. The music Gods will surely acknowledge that a return visit in 2020 is simply the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

So hands up who was there at that Arcade Fire EP gig in 2005? 😊 Anseo

What a performance. I was front middle about 5 rowa back from barrier. I'll never ever forget them lining up for Wake Up as their opening tune and then the crowds reaction when they started. It was the definition of a heaving tent. Crowd were swaying unontrollably it was so packed. Condensation dripping from the tent roof. Great times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

So hands up who was there at that Arcade Fire EP gig in 2005? �� Anseo

What a performance. I was front middle about 5 rowa back from barrier. I'll never ever forget them lining up for Wake Up as their opening tune and then the crowds reaction when they started. It was the definition of a heaving tent. Crowd were swaying unontrollably it was so packed. Condensation dripping from the tent roof. Great times

I was about 10 people back on the left of the stage. Remember little of the show but I do remember the tent heaving. It was an insane atmosphere. If them and Elbow play next year I will kick myself SO HARD for not getting tickets. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Stillill42

My brother was at it. I was not. The big regret of my gig-going life. He still talks about in hushed tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Rfrip wrote: »

You Misspelled Robyn there Rfrip! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Fatfrog wrote: »
    You Misspelled Robyn there Rfrip! ;)

Very true....I’m doing reverse psychology on Robyn for next year though!!!!

Rfrip wrote: »

Ah, what a tent to dip in and out of. The amount of 12" records on the table at the front for the start of the set was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Davysulls86

I'm not a metal head by any stretch of the imagination, but in saying that, I do enjoy a potentially lethal mosh pit from time to time. Who doesn't?! Rage Against the Machine at Oxegen are still my top 5 festival sets of all time... I still get aches and pains thinking about it.
    I would like if a few "heavier" bands played EP, but I'm also realistic enough to know that the demographic isn't there for organisers to justify booking them.

Was on the left about fifteen rows back. My pal turned around after they'd started with Wake Up and asked whether they'd blown it by peaking too early. Not a chance. They looked dumbfounded as the crowd were roaring back every lyric to every track. They'd had great audiences throughout Europe but that looked like the moment they knew they'd made it. They played a couple of tracks from their EP that I didn't know but everybody else did. Every track was astonishing and I don't think anyone equalled them until the Cure in 2012.

I've caught them a few times since but nothing ever matched that intensity, though pals who went to the first night of the Neon Bible tour at the Olympia in 2007 said that it was as good as the EP show. I think they arrived very late off a flight, apologised and then blew the roof off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Aaaargh ... I was with a bunch of mates and we dropped in for the start .. I was all "this is going to be good, let's stay here" ... I was outvoted and we went to see something on the main stage ... one of my biggest regrets is not saying "nah, I will catch you all up later, I am staying here". Since then I have a different (aka selfish) strategy when it comes to this sort of thing.

This is all before my festival-going career started - always assumed Arcade Fire were on the Main Stage - I take it they were in the Electric Arena? Glad to see staunch Boardsie Representation for such a momentous event!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ah yes what a set that was. I there were a couple of technical issues early on in the set and the crowd got so pissed off, I was afraid they would riot for a second. Luckily they sorted it out, I remember the opening riff for "sleep now in the fire" so vividly. Tom Morello was fantastic. I also distinctly remember hearing "love is in the air" played over the PA once the set was over to calm the crowd down. It worked! I found myself and many others singing along, it was surreal!

• Advertisement

This is all before my festival-going career started - always assumed Arcade Fire were on the Main Stage - I take it they were in the Electric Arena? Glad to see staunch Boardsie Representation for such a momentous event!

Yeah, about 6pm. Preceded by Goldfrapp and followed by Royksopp and Kraftwerk. That tent never had it so good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement