Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭rubick

Did Chase and Status ever play the Picnic? I think another one that evaded the radar.

Would they pull enough interest? I'd settle for a 1,000 person jungle/DnB tent somewhere on site - I refuse to believe that out of 60,000-odd punters there wouldn't be some interest in some late-night breakbeats.

See also: Fabio & Grooverider, DJ Randall, Slipmatt, Zinc, Bailey, Goldie and of course any number of Irish promoters that I'm sure would love to have a few sets in such a tent - in the north alone there's Crilli DnB, Step and Drumology.

Goldie's live show is good value too, caught him at the BBC's One Big Weekend show last year in Belfast. Was on at 1.30pm though, which is generally a lot more daylight that I care to throw shapes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

How many of you had the Tesco Shop as one of the 3 places you spent the most time at?

Odd that Freetown wasn't on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

rubick wrote: »
    Would they pull enough interest? I'd settle for a 1,000 person jungle/DnB tent somewhere on site - I refuse to believe that out of 60,000-odd punters there wouldn't be some interest in some late-night breakbeats.

See also: Fabio & Grooverider, DJ Randall, Slipmatt, Zinc, Bailey, Goldie and of course any number of Irish promoters that I'm sure would love to have a few sets in such a tent - in the north alone there's Crilli DnB, Step and Drumology.

Goldie's live show is good value too, caught him at the BBC's One Big Weekend show last year in Belfast. Was on at 1.30pm though, which is generally a lot more daylight that I care to throw shapes in.

Get Squarepusher booked!

T-SHIRT WATCH

I shall endeavour to update the Committee on any new Merchandising Opportunities throughout the coming year.

First up, Portishead. Mostly sold out though, which is really annoying.
    https://portishead-uk.myshopify.com/

MadYaker wrote: »
    Get Squarepusher booked!

Yuuuusssss! :D
    Did you catch him at The Glade this year?
    Holyee good god the night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Get Squarepusher booked!

Remember the last time he played, stupid timing schedules, he played 2012 in the Electric Arena to about 300 - 400 people whilst everyone else was at Orbital in the main stage, sadly he'll not get booked again because of that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I passed by Tesco twice and both times the queue was huge and barely moving didn't bother! Otherwise it was my top place ;)

M83 and Beck! Good call a few pages back! I put Tame Impala, Supergrass.

Freeform box would have been nice! my one main feedback point was the much narrower line up selection this year, heavily biased to the hozier- Gavin James type acts.

Freetown taken today I think.

69852197_10162411980010338_6806165340314140672_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkTtcuvIFkl8AQqFXQAKu0pNuwUEA60GFXVGNC8FbSGNkzbo3HivLOsveOexqscffdXgC-6LRoYq523zRshkH2f&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=38afaa6aec1bd2bee3b281c08992c793&oe=5E113BF5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Mucker46

69852197_10162411980010338_6806165340314140672_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkTtcuvIFkl8AQqFXQAKu0pNuwUEA60GFXVGNC8FbSGNkzbo3HivLOsveOexqscffdXgC-6LRoYq523zRshkH2f&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=38afaa6aec1bd2bee3b281c08992c793&oe=5E113BF5

Biggest crowd yet. There for the drum and baas

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Navan Man01

Looks more like electric arena.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Biggest crowd yet. There for the drum and baas

That’s more that was there when I went into Freetown tbh! Hit it at all the wrong times

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Navan Man01

Looks more like electric arena.....

rubick wrote: »
    Yuuuusssss! :D
    Did you catch him at The Glade this year?
    Holyee good god the night!

I did indeed, awful small crowd but he was mega, we probably saw each other!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I thought Lamb were in the Body and Soul main stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I thought Lamb were in the Body and Soul main stage?

I can’t believe I missed that opportunity

I must not be fully recovered post ep yet

I know what I'm gonna be doing at 10 PM tonight, watching the Aphex Twin stream from London. Woo Hoo! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I know what I'm gonna be doing at 10 PM tonight, watching the Aphex Twin stream from London. Woo Hoo! :)

I didnt know you liked Aphex Twin!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Excellent article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Stillill42

BD's mate, isn't it? I'd say that mirrors the views of most people in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stillill42 wrote: »
    BD's mate, isn't it? I'd say that mirrors the views of most people in here.

I'd say part of it does. Many good points as EP clearly has to improve security knowledge and crowd control as well as trying to stop the public urination and littering.

However, the central thrust of the first few paragraphs are that EP has long sold out and offers nothing new. An accusation that is yearly thrown at Glastonbury. For me that's lazy, inaccurate and shows a lack of understanding of all that is available at the fest. But will be applauded by the knockers.

If the business bottom line actually was the bottom line FR could easily dispense with the peripheral areas and make it music only a la Reading/Leeds. And they'd still sell out. No Mindfield, Salty Dog, Hazel Wood, Trailer Park, Gloval Green, Jerry Fish, etc. But they won't, and reactionary journalism like this bores me.

More toilets and a good PR campaign could help stop people pissing on the ground. Glasto have managed to mostly eliminate it but you're never more than a few minutes walk from toilets and they have stewards whose job it is to go around and abuse people for pissing on the land. This leads to some hilarious scenes as random punters join in with said abuse. Not sure if that would work at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

More toilets and a good PR campaign could help stop people pissing on the ground. Glasto have managed to mostly eliminate it but you're never more than a few minutes walk from toilets and they have stewards whose job it is to go around and abuse people for pissing on the land. This leads to some hilarious scenes as random punters join in with said abuse. Not sure if that would work at EP.

Enough toilets at EP I reckon. I never had more than 2/3 mins to walk and there are certainly more than in previous years. Queues were short, if at all. The urination on the land is a cultural not an organisational issue. Read back on the 2019 thread with posters bemoaning people pissing on the ground right beside the available urinals. Same goes for littering and leaving tents behind. Glasto took decades to stop the urination via an educational campaign, signs, security intervention and peer pressure. We need to do the same.

The article makes a few good points in regard to the useless stewards and security, and also the environmental impact of the fest which seems to be getting worse every year and will become a problem in the future if they don't get a handle on it. But this talk of selling out is nonsense and I don't mean to be harsh here but it generally comes from older people who want the fest to still be the little boutique gathering they attended in 2004 when they were in their 20s / 30s. You can't run a festival of this size without corporate sponsorship in some form or another. Maybe the organisers could have kept it small but that was never the vision I don't think, especially not after POD took over. He made points about how the fest is all about money now, thats clearly not true or they'd get rid of all the extra stuff that makes it special and do a Primavera style bunch of stages for music and fuk all else which I wouldn't like to see. There's always going to be one mammoth festival in this country and id take an EP / glasto style one over the reading and leeds / primavera format any day.

I'm in two minds about the whole eco "greenwashing" argument. I appreciate that it is more due to consumer demand than any actual desire to save the environment, and that the reality is that the only truly green festival is not having a festival at all, but I suppose it's better that they do something than nothing.

Also, this point was very relevant re the security:
    It would be far better if the EP organisers put as much effort into fan welfare and safety as they do into confiscating the odd can of beer being smuggled in, or needlessly forcing them to be binged down at a security point.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Davysulls86

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Enough toilets at EP I reckon. I never had more than 2/3 mins to walk and there are certainly more than in previous years. Queues were short, if at all. The urination on the land is a cultural not an organisational issue. Read back on the 2019 thread with posters bemoaning people pissing on the ground right beside the available urinals. Same goes for littering and leaving tents behind. Glasto took decades to stop the urination via an educational campaign, signs, security intervention and peer pressure. We need to do the same.

The jacks by the main stage is a disgrace for people urinating on the fence. I mean you've walked 90% of the way to the urinals. Use the f**King things!!
    Hendrix used to be brutal, but my therapist has told me not to go there anymore to avoid the Vietnam style flashbacks. Eco seems excellent for people playing by the rules, which screams culture. I find it's mostly teenage boys showing the world that the rules don't apply to them is the issue.

People are pissing on the fence because there's a queue for the urinals, that means they need more urinals if they want to stop people pissing on the land. Also they should bring in female urinals so the wimmins aren't forced to use the horrendous portaloos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Stillill42

People are pissing on the fence because there's a queue for the urinals, that means they need more urinals if they want to stop people pissing on the land. Also they should bring in female urinals so the wimmins aren't forced to use the horrendous portaloos.
    You would think that but I am certainly not the only person at ATN or EP who witnessed people actually in the toilet area, with urinals free, pissing on the fence. People are weird.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not at all.

The fence between the main stage and house is known as the pissing fence (and the big tree there known as the pissing tree) because guys are too lazy to walk up to the urinals just behind the bar.

Even then, a lot if guys who go to the bar toilets sooner piss against the fence there than wait the max 5 seconds to get a free spot......

Womens queues are always mad, but you don't see them pissing in public.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement