Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Was reading the Greenfields article in the FJ this week. They have 7% and according to them this is the national average.

Seems quite high I would have thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

It could be 7%this year and nothing next year . Everyone has good and bad years.

Miname wrote: »
    It could be 7%this year and nothing next year . Everyone has good and bad years.

I get that all right but I would of thought the national would be a lot lower than 7%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

trixi2011 wrote: »
    I get that all right but I would of thought the national would be a lot lower than 7%

No I'd say its not bad 7 out if 100. Considering slipped calves 1 or 2 as well as an odd leg back middle of the night, wouldn't be long adding up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Percent alive at weaning would be a more relevant figure

No I'd say its not bad 7 out if 100. Considering slipped calves 1 or 2 as well as an odd leg back middle of the night, wouldn't be long adding up
    never thought about slips and the like have been looking over some of the kpi s for calving results on farms I worked on in nz but sure we didn't even factor bull calves never mind slips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Percent alive at weaning would be a more relevant figure

That's when we count our heifer bull ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

That's when we count our heifer bull ratio

But the Bulls are long gone at weaning? Surely heifer/bull ratio is decided by what comes out of the cow dead or alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Im going buying a few calves off a neighbour. He has 6 AA bulls looking for €220 out of holstiens and 3 heifers all around 3 weeks old and 4 fr bull calves.. what sort of money are they making now and does the price sound reasonable or a bit on the steep side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Im going buying a few calves off a neighbour. He has 6 AA bulls looking for €220 out of holstiens and 3 heifers all around 3 weeks old and 4 fr bull calves.. what sort of money are they making now and does the price sound reasonable or a bit on the steep side
    220 sounds about right, a bit less for the heifers, whats he looking for the fr what age are the fr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

anyone know of anywhere i can buy cheap milk replacer my coop quoting me 550 euro for ten bags n i think this too dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

marathon wrote: »
    anyone know of anywhere i can buy cheap milk replacer my coop quoting me 550 euro for ten bags n i think this too dear

Cheapest is not always best.
    find out how many litres it makes.
    Usually costs about 26/27c/l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Cheapest is not always best.
    find out how many litres it makes.
    Usually costs about 26/27c/l

Defo agree with that
    I found most brands were crap compaired to an old tried and trusted one that had great adverts onvtv when I wAs a kid

what are best brands then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

whelan2 wrote: »
    220 sounds about right, a bit less for the heifers, whats he looking for the fr what age are the fr?

I think 150 for 4 week old fr bulls i think 160 for the aa heifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

epfff wrote: »
    Defo agree with that
    I found most brands were crap compaired to an old tried and trusted one that had great adverts onvtv when I wAs a kid

Maverick?
    Will be going back to milk replacer here from April first.
    Getting 36c fir milk and replacer is 27c and tbh don't see much difference in this springs calves to other yrs that were on powder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

what are best brands then

I use Volac Olympian, can be got for a euro or 2 less than Maverick per bag but as good if not better.
    You should test both as it can also depend on the water hardness in your area as to how well each one will mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Maverick?
    Will be going back to milk replacer here from April first.
    Getting 36c fir milk and replacer is 27c and tbh don't see much difference in this springs calves to other yrs that were on powder
    Yep always found aaa the best
    It mixed easiest
    Smelled best
    And calves had best coat of hair on it

have a fr bull calf will be 6 weeks on saturday , what would he be worth, he is nothing spectacular but has been on a cow since he was born

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Whelan. He is probably worth 150 problem with him he maybe a bit to strong to train up to teat feeder. Hardship at best of times. Would only ever consider doing that with continental calf from continental cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

have a fr bull calf will be 6 weeks on saturday , what would he be worth, he is nothing spectacular but has been on a cow since he was born

From what the father was saying in Kilmallock the good ones seem to all make around the 120€ mark but I'd guess they were probably younger. More average/poor types hit the 70€ about. Seems to be a set price for them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Anything 6 weeks we've sold has ranged from 150 to 185 for a very strong one

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

This might sound like a stupid question, but am I right in saying that a 3-4 week old Fr Bull calf being sold in the mart should be dehorned beforehand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

This might sound like a stupid question, but am I right in saying that a 3-4 week old Fr Bull calf being sold in the mart should be dehorned beforehand?

You would be lucky if he was ever fed never mind dehorned. Not a danger!

AP2014 wrote: »
    you love to stir ****

• Advertisement

you love to stir ****

It's the truth though and you know it. Not a danger of them being dehorned. Sure suckler guys don't wean now either before selling in marts. You see some animals in awful states. I just bought a few last week, just freshly skulled and squeezed.

They were rough for a few days and just coming around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I do not see how the above posts have anything to do with calf prices.
    We've had enough discussion about welfare in this thread already.

Keep to the topic at hand please.

Kovu wrote: »
    I do not see how the above posts have anything to do with calf prices.
    We've had enough discussion about welfare in this thread already.

Keep to the topic at hand please.

Fair enough but hurling_lad has a valid question, while not directly a cost Kovu, indirectly it is. The hassle and time spent dehorning is a pain or even more expensive if you need Vet in to skull later. I know lads that buy angus for this reason.

Back on calf prices directly, neighbour said poor quality ones are definitely falling. He is paying €120 for types that cost him €150 a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

It was indeed a valid question, but your reply to hurling_lad did nothing but imply that the calves are not looked after properly before sale. This was discussed last week and does not benefit the thread.

Kovu wrote: »
    It was indeed a valid question, but your reply to hurling_lad did nothing but imply that the calves are not looked after properly before sale. This was discussed last week and does not benefit the thread.

Ok that is fair enough I missed last weeks debate will have a gander over it later. Hurling_lad seems naive to think these calves would be dehorned. We all know here that there is pretty much zero chance of that. It may not benefit the thread but I have no doubt most fr bull calves wouldn't be as well looked after as other calves, so hopefully it benefits hurling_lad to keep the eyes open.

• Advertisement

Ok that is fair enough I missed last weeks debate will have a gander over it later. Hurling_lad seems naive to think these calves would be dehorned. We all know here that there is pretty much zero chance of that. It may not benefit the thread but I have no doubt most fr bull calves wouldn't be as well looked after as other calves, so hopefully it benefits hurling_lad to keep the eyes open.

Only calves I've ever bought de-horned were from suckler stock. Prices coming back all right thankfully. I bought all mine before christmas for smallish money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

What sort of dung are ya spouting now. Id say ya know a lot about rearing calves. Sure your not even able to buy your own few cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

mf240 wrote: »
    What sort of dung are ya spouting now. Id say ya know a lot about rearing calves. Sure your not even able to buy your own few cattle.

Attack the post not the poster.
    Just spent the day dehorning heifers calfs. He is right! The bull calfs weren't touched and why would they be when they'll be getting the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

How much is a 2-3 week old bbxfr heifer calf be worth, will be going to lad thaf is meant to have good sqr calfs so hoping to have a guideline wastinkin 330e ,correct me if im wrong

How much is a 2-3 week old bbxfr heifer calf be worth, will be going to lad thaf is meant to have good sqr calfs so hoping to have a guideline wastinkin 330e ,correct me if im wrong
    wouldnt be too far off at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If quality good 400 plus.calf and cattle trade is fairly hot atm.sold 2 dbz bb heifers just shy of 3 weeks old out of yard earlier in week for 400 earlier in week.nice calves out of hol fr cows and vaccinated with bovipast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wouldnt be too far off at that

Thanks i wasnt fully sure

mf240 wrote: »

Unfortunately can't get my hands on any dung or slurry so stuck with expensive fert. :(

I know abit about rearing calves as my backround was a suckler herd for 20 years. We also bought white heads of local dairy man and reared about 3 per cow. Profitable but hard work, will admit out of it a few years now.

I am probably able to buy my own cattle but choose not to as I work in a professional job and haven't the time to spend days at a mart with my elbows on the ring like fellows like yourself. It's not economical so I make that choice as I only buy 20/25 a year. I would struggle to compete with regulars so I have this guy who gets me really good deals, we call him a dealer. I pay him but it's cheaper than me wasting time.

As feckthis said attack my posts not me. What I have said is true and backed up by fellows like feckthis who are in the game. You are obsessed with my farming practices and stalking my posts, usually on p&k. At this stage and after a post like that, I am getting embarrassed for ya, but admit kinda like having someone stalk me :D

Need to keep this on thread or Kovu will shoot me. Prices not back as much as I thought. Neighbour got 5 white head bulls for €220 2/3 weeks old. Seems crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

Thanks for the replies.

I should have been clearer: I'm actually going to be selling these calves, not buying them. Upping cow numbers so don't have capacity to finish all calves as we usually do. I have been farming for three years but have yet to darken the door of a mart!

Will report back with prices.

how much should i get roughly for 2 belgian bluex fr yearling heifers 355 kgs gin mart at weekend

• Advertisement

how much should i get roughly for 2 belgian bluex fr yearling heifers 355 kgs gin mart at weekend

Is there a first prize? 845 each.

Anyone know a price for jan/feb ai breed heifer calves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Friesians ?

Base price wrote: »
    Friesians ?

Friesian / xbreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Friesian / xbreed
    €250 - €350 depending on ebi's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Anywhere between €300 to €450 but all depends on the quality

any recent prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

any recent prices?
    3 week old fr bulls 95 out of the shed. Square calves off heifers so a bit on the small side.

4 week old frx (25% je) 60 out of the shed. Not great shape on 2 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

3 week old fr bulls 95 out of the shed. Square calves off heifers so a bit on the small side.

4 week old frx (25% je) 60 out of the shed. Not great shape on 2 of them.

Similar stuff and prices here outta the shed, but getting €100 for fr and €70 for jex lads. Low €200's for HE and AA bulls and heifers, all calves between 10 and 20 days old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

€100 and €120 for friesian bulls,2 to 3 weeks old out of the yard.

Advertisement