Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i must have being in a different enniscorthy mart yesterday than larry miller,a serious trade for all types bar the small very soft calf and the the jersey cross,
    the dealers bought most of the calves out of it yesterday, heifers calves were a crazy trade with any type of a heifer 350 to 450 and the same calves bought last year for 220 to 320.
    :eek: think i may up my prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

i must have being in a different enniscorthy mart yesterday than larry miller,a serious trade for all types bar the small very soft calf and the the jersey cross,
    the dealers bought most of the calves out of it yesterday, heifers calves were a crazy trade with any type of a heifer 350 to 450 and the same calves bought last year for 220 to 320.
    I seen one go For 560 trade eased off as the day went on. Last few batches were very cheap. But the crowd left and price eased

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I seen one go For 560 trade eased off as the day went on. Last few batches were very cheap. But the crowd left and price eased

Its always the way. The couple of high prices always get quoted and remembered. Just like the back of the comic

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Gman1987

The arse has fallen out if the young fr market. This is the first time that there was only 1 bidder.

We will only have a few more bull calves at this stage so my weekly visit to the mart is over for this year. A place I hate.

Will keep all male calves till Sept and sell off land for €400 in Sept. did it last yr and was happy

What mart was that at? What were prices like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭High bike

Wasn't there myself but heard calves were back a good bit in my local mart on monday,maybe was because of paddys day and lads were away or whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

The arse has fallen out if the young fr market. This is the first time that there was only 1 bidder.

We will only have a few more bull calves at this stage so my weekly visit to the mart is over for this year. A place I hate.

Will keep all male calves till Sept and sell off land for €400 in Sept. did it last yr and was happy

Had an exporter on to me yesterday looking for fr bull calves, reckons they're getting scarce and he won't be able to get any nxt wk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Had an exporter on to me yesterday looking for fr bull calves, reckons they're getting scarce and he won't be able to get any nxt wk!

Had one here €60 3-4 wks old, he can go shyte. What your guy offerin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

The lad with the red truck? He hasn't dug to deep into the pocket this year yet. Took a load of je bulls 3 weeks old for €20 they should have been shot at birth.

The lad with the red truck? He hasn't dug to deep into the pocket this year yet. Took a load of je bulls 3 weeks old for €20 they should have been shot at birth.
    They'r lucky they weren't born in Australia or that's exactly what would have happened :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

High bike wrote: »
    They'r lucky they weren't born in Australia or that's exactly what would have happened :pac:

Anything born in Australia should be shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

We must be starting to get known around here now 2 dealers in yard this week and I wasn't at home at the time.
    and where do they go straight to? The bloody calf shed.
    Go and fcukin knock on the house door and don't go walking around my yard

We must be starting to get known around here now 2 dealers in yard this week and I wasn't at home at the time.

That's not a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Put up a sign directing all visitors to the office. Standard practice.

Interestingly I've noticed that Irish visitors here are the only ones with the "cheek" to go a wandering...

€120 for the strong bulls, €80/€100 for two wks old. This guys an agent for an exporting crowd from the southeast. I sell all my calves to another lad who will take everything, and had done for the last few yrs, will continue with him.

Not sure who the lad with the red truck is, my guy has a white truck with red trim, I think, and his initials are TC. Which doesn't stand for Top Cat!

whelan2 wrote: »
    :eek: think i may up my prices

The most I'm getting for herefords and Angus' is €250, which I think is ok. Dropped off bvd samples in Skibbereen mart last wk and watched calves for a bit, didn't see too many making more than €250, with a lot of them bought at €200ish

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭einn32

Do fellas buy them jerseys to feed dogs or something? It costs money to shoot an animal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

einn32 wrote: »
    Do fellas buy them jerseys to feed dogs or something? It costs money to shoot an animal now.

Same price as you pay for a dead calf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Same price as you pay for a dead calf

how much is that?

I said wrote: »
    Anything born in Australia should be shot
    Very harsh shiela:eek:

• Advertisement

If your from Australia ya may start running :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Sad to see calves being shot when your doing your best to keep your own few alive but i suppose some lads dont mind. It would take the good out of the job for me if i had to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I like shielas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I would consider some of them JEX's better value than some AA calves, have had some bad experiences with AA's that come off easy calving bulls.

However at present FRX are better value to buy if finishing as bullocks. On the other hand you could stock a farm with JEx's for 1K. It is all relative. If you do them right they will kill about 280DW averaging O- at 26-27 months. Disadvantage is that you cann finish out of a shed.

If I need to stock a farm in the morning I would not turn my nose up at them. Also they are supposed to be more profitable than friesians to finish as bulls under 16 months.

mf240 wrote: »
    Sad to see calves being shot when your doing your best to keep your own few alive but i suppose some lads dont mind. It would take the good out of the job for me if i had to do it.

A kiwi farmer told the father last year that the Irish farmer goes around mourning for a few days if a calf dies! We sold a jersey bull for a fiver last week, it was hard to know what to do with him. Another week you might get nothing for him. I felt like Tony Soprano for a while discussing what to do with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

A kiwi farmer told the father last year!!

Does he farm a lot of kiwis? Or does he grow other fruits. ?

mf240 wrote: »

Every calf treated the same here, be it a jx bull or bb bull, all fed beastings and penned together until sale. Got €70 each 3/4 bred jex bulls this morning, €90 for friesan Bulls, €200 for hereford heifers and €260 for Hereford Bulls, all under 2 wks old bar 3 Hereford Bulls(3 wks old). Starving or ill treating any calves is not my style, and I have given away jx Bulls in the past for free, but that's life.

mf240 wrote:
    Does he farm a lot of kiwis? Or does he grow other fruits. ?

No milking cows.

I couldn't shoot a perfectly healthy calf anyway but I just wondered how the je is treated after being sold.. All animals here are treated the same to the best of our ability.

No milking cows.

I couldn't shoot a perfectly healthy calf anyway but I just wondered how the je is treated after being sold.. All animals here are treated the same to the best of our ability.

Can't understand why any animal is abused or starved in any way at this day and age but you'll always have the bad apples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    Can't understand why any animal is abused or starved in any way at this day and age but you'll always have the bad apples
    In my experience the bigger the operation (not in all cases) the worse they treat the by product :mad:

Advertisement