Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hi folks.

The ratio in my firestick has suddenly gone off the TV screen.

Its now smaller in width as in its not fully on the screen.

I've tried all the tips etc online to do with screen magnifier etc.

Anyone have the same issue?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Hi folks.

Thanks.

When this happened me it was the actual tv I needed to set the size on

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

TheDriver wrote: »
    My firestick can get 300 on wifi.

I've solved my UK apps issue. I went into my US amazon account, changed device location to UK. Turned on UK VPN too and hey presto, all the apps. Tanya's ones are quite out of date.
    Once finished, I changed my account back to US and the apps work perfectly with a UK VPN now.
    BTW, STV player is a lot better than ITV player.

If you don't have access to the UK Amazon store, STV player apk is available through Aptoide TV. There is a notice about compatibility after installation, but it seems to work OK with Mouse Toggle.

More straight forward to install also than ITV Hub - no pairing codes. Just remember you need to input a Scottish postcode during registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Trevord wrote: »
    If you don't have access to the UK Amazon store, STV player apk is available through Aptoide TV. There is a notice about compatibility after installation, but it seems to work OK with Mouse Toggle.

More straight forward to install also than ITV Hub - no pairing codes. Just remember you need to input a Scottish postcode during registration.

I had that stv player but the firestick one is far better, no need for toggle. I'll be using it before itv hub in future. I did have to register and pair but I find it handier as I've 2 sticks.
    I use itv, stv, C4, BBC, C5, UKTV

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

Not sure if there are many USA residents reading this thread,,,,,

To get RTE, BBC, ITV,, etc in the USA.

I have a Firestick 4k and use PrivateVPN.

The best app is IBOX.IE its only 3 Euros a month and you can watch TV for the previous 7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

mightyreds wrote: »
    When this happened me it was the actual tv I needed to set the size on

Tried that to no avail.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion though, appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Hi folks.

Thanks.

In settings you can spread your firestick screen.
    Pretty easy, helped a mate do it the last night. In display if I remember right. Onoy a few options should be easy locate.

If you have trouble pm and I will post a vid here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Poolboy19

Any advice on how to get Netflix US working on the fire stick? I have nordvpn and getflix and neither work. Is there a specific server I should be loading or are neither suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Poolboy19 wrote: »
    Any advice on how to get Netflix US working on the fire stick? I have nordvpn and getflix and neither work. Is there a specific server I should be loading or are neither suitable?

expressvpn dns settings work.
    look for their mediaserver instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Poolboy19 wrote: »

How do you know they don’t work. The catalogues are very similar. I just flicked on Nord on the phone and it works there. I’ll try the stick later on today. I know I’m on the US Netflix because Supernatural is there but Hey Duggee isn’t :pac: Actually it shows me the top 10 lists for the US too

Try killing the Netflix app before you switch to the US VPN and then open Netflix again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

L'prof wrote:
    How do you know they don’t work. The catalogues are very similar. I just flicked on Nord on the phone and it works there. I’ll try the stick later on today. I know I’m on the US Netflix because Supernatural is there but Hey Duggee isn’t Actually it shows me the top 10 lists for the US too

If memory serves, US Netflix does not work with nord on TVs. I think its only PC, tablet & phone

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If memory serves, US Netflix does not work with nord on TVs. I think its only PC, tablet & phone

Interesting. Just confirming here now, it takes me off the Irish Netflix because there’s no Duggee but I’m not on the American one because there’s no Supernatural either

L'prof wrote: »
    Interesting. Just confirming here now, it takes me off the Irish Netflix because there’s no Duggee but I’m not on the American one because there’s no Supernatural either

If you scroll down it should give you the top 10 programs for the country you are on

I'm definitely on US Netflix now & searched for Hey Duggee & it's not there. Are you sure it's on US Netflix?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If you scroll down it should give you the top 10 programs for the country you are on

I scrolled all the way down and ended up back at the start. That list isn’t there on the tv while using Nord

Like you said it seems to work on the phone but not the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Hey guys,

I've tried using NordVPN to get BBC iPlayer working but no joy. Is there a specific UK vpn that should be used in NordVPN to get this working?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

deco72 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've tried using NordVPN to get BBC iPlayer working but no joy. Is there a specific UK vpn that should be used in NordVPN to get this working?

Thanks

I have iPlayer working but via ExpressVPN and I had to install their app on the Firestick itself

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have iPlayer working but via ExpressVPN and I had to install their app on the Firestick itself

Yeah I have the app on the firestick but iPlayer has never worked. Other apps like ITV/My5 have worked but not this for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Hey guys,

Thanks

it works ok for me. sometimes you have to disconnect and re-connect to another GB server to find one that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

In expressvpn use the UK>Wembley server for iPlayer. Works the majority of the time for me but can buffer at times also (particularly when windy which makes no sense?!). Have been trying keepsolid vpn over the weekend and have had no such issues.

• Advertisement

Indiana Jones is my usual tell for US working

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Hey guys,

Thanks

Nord claim that all their UK servers work for IPlayer, which is not the case in my experience.

The list of iPlayer compatible servers for DOWNLOAD is on the Nord website. In my experience these are the ones that actually work for STREAMING.

https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/SmartPlay/1047407672/How-to-securely-watch-BBC-with-NordVPN.htm

Nord's Firestick app is not very intuitive when it comes to server selection. It's much more obvious how to find a particular server in their standard android app.

For the firestick app type the server number in the search box WITHOUT the country prefix (ie don't type UK and the server number, just type the server number only).

I saw a video from Tanya's site that went out yesterday mentioning how Amazon were rolling out the live tv option to their firesticks. I've seen this already with a firestick integrated tv in Ireland (JVC) and it seemed very useful! if this is updated on new firesticks, including 4k it would be fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭mossie

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I saw a video from Tanya's site that went out yesterday mentioning how Amazon were rolling out the live tv option to their firesticks. I've seen this already with a firestick integrated tv in Ireland (JVC) and it seemed very useful! if this is updated on new firesticks, including 4k it would be fantastic!

It's showing on mine but seems to be only Channel 5 channels that are on there.

mossie wrote: »
    It's showing on mine but seems to be only Channel 5 channels that are on there.

The one i saw on the integrated JVC tv Irish and UK main channels. I'm not sure whether it was integrated aerial or through internet tho...

It was a very tidy guide regardless

I have it on mine for some US stuff. TVPlayer app is another handy one for decent UK live TV rather than going into each app to get a certain channel

Trevord wrote: »
    Nord claim that all their UK servers work for IPlayer, which is not the case in my experience.

The list of iPlayer compatible servers for DOWNLOAD is on the Nord website. In my experience these are the ones that actually work for STREAMING.

https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/SmartPlay/1047407672/How-to-securely-watch-BBC-with-NordVPN.htm

Nord's Firestick app is not very intuitive when it comes to server selection. It's much more obvious how to find a particular server in their standard android app.

For the firestick app type the server number in the search box WITHOUT the country prefix (ie don't type UK and the server number, just type the server number only).

Thanks that worked perfect. Appreciate the advice.

When are 4k getting the update? Tanya is vague on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

TheDriver wrote: »
    I have it on mine for some US stuff. TVPlayer app is another handy one for decent UK live TV rather than going into each app to get a certain channel

Where can I get TVplayer app from?

• Advertisement

Should be on the regular UK app store but you'll need a UK VPN too

Advertisement