Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

What premier league matches are on, all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

I signed up for the year to s sports, seems good value for €17!

One thing I noticed though is the WWE wrestling has Turkish commentators and can't change to English unfortunately.

Also is there an app on the firestick that can be installed that would enable your VPN for specific apps only?
    I don't want the Turkish VPN on the whole time but it would be handy if I launched s sports that the VPN auto connected and then when I closed it the VPN was disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Technique wrote: »
    What premier league matches are on, all of them?

Seems to be all of them yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

reni10 wrote: »
    I signed up for the year to s sports, seems good value for €17!

One thing I noticed though is the WWE wrestling has Turkish commentators and can't change to English unfortunately.

Also is there an app on the firestick that can be installed that would enable your VPN for specific apps only?
    I don't want the Turkish VPN on the whole time but it would be handy if I launched s sports that the VPN auto connected and then when I closed it the VPN was disabled.

I have keepsolid and you can specify which apps don't use it which is handy e.g. RTE etc shouldnt ever try to use it. You can have keepsolid on automatically but have every other app ticked in the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

So I got sucked into this like something off the Bargain Alerts page.

Not entirely sure why I have subscribed, as I already have Peacock and NBCSN!

Word of note: Gmail sent the confirmation of sub email to spam folder.

Thanks to all for the instructions.

• Advertisement

Got the S Sports app onto my firestick, registered on my phone using a VPN. However, I can't seem to get to pay for a subscription. I've tried both the monthly and annual options, but I'm getting a message about Google play and can go no further. I've got my revolut card attached to Google Pay but I have other cards that I can use.

Did anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Do I need the vpn just to sign up or do I need it the whole time while streaming? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Do I need the vpn just to sign up or do I need it the whole time while streaming? Thanks

Both

Got the S Sports app onto my firestick, registered on my phone using a VPN. However, I can't seem to get to pay for a subscription. I've tried both the monthly and annual options, but I'm getting a message about Google play and can go no further. I've got my revolut card attached to Google Pay but I have other cards that I can use.

Logged into the app on my phone and it went through okay. Just signed up for a month to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Same happened me. You need to your revolut card in the play store too, it's not using Google pay.

Great find Lucas Hood ðŸ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

TheDriver wrote: »
    I have changed to using stv player instead, clunkier interface and requires mouse toggle but far less ads.
    Yes to keepsolid

Only really noticed it since after Xmas, but I thought it's more a KS issue, looks like it's making a new connection for each ad.

If your program is on virgin, you'll get it without ads on Firefox with turbo mode enabled.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Only really noticed it since after Xmas, but I thought it's more a KS issue, looks like it's making a new connection for each ad.

If your program is on virgin, you'll get it without ads on Firefox with turbo mode enabled.

Hadnt thought about virgin player, stv is a nicer player though and minimal ads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

Does it work in any other regions except turkey. Ive got ipvanish but turkish vpn not supported

Tryin out diff vpn, but packages they are offering me are in dollars as in 17.99 dollars a month, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Tryin out diff vpn, but packages they are offering me are in dollars as in 17.99 dollars a month, is that right?

Theres one posted in bargain alerts (so I cant take credit for the deal) for keepsolid, I used it last night and it was fine, its 40$ for a lifetime sub but use DN40 and you'll get it for 24$

https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

You are probably looking at short contracts. Take Nord as an example. The monthly charge drops dramatically if you go for a longer contract. e.g. on a 2 or 3 year contract you can get it for about €3 a month.

There are always deals going so watch out.

Some VPNs are better than others. Nord and Keepsolid get mentioned a lot here.

Beware of johnny noname VPNs. You could be reducing your security rather than increasing it with a dodgy VPN. Plus they are less likely to work with streaming services in other countries.

TIP: Avoid VAT by stating your country as US if asked during payment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Is there any way to get S Sports to work using Getflix? Works fine with Nord just keep forgetting to start Nord first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Trevord wrote: »

Beware of johnny noname VPNs. You could be reducing your security rather than increasing it with a dodgy VPN. Plus they are less likely to work with streaming services in other countries.

On the other hand there may be some gems out there who fly under the radar and are less affected by bans as they are not in the spotlight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

degsie wrote: »
    On the other hand there may be some gems out there who fly under the radar and are less affected by bans as they are not in the spotlight ;)

I've hunted and never been able to find one as reliable as Express VPN. I paid $100 for 15 months with them. Had been paying 12 quid a month for ages.

Works for everything - Peacock, ESPN+, Prime UK, Prime US, Tubi, Crackle, Netflix US etc. Others I've tried, like Getflix, Nord VPN and a couple more may work for a couple but not the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Just signed up for SSport+
    Looks great
    Thanks for the heads-up

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    I've hunted and never been able to find one as reliable as Express VPN. I paid $100 for 15 months with them. Had been paying 12 quid a month for ages.

Works for everything - Peacock, ESPN+, Prime UK, Prime US, Tubi, Crackle, Netflix US etc. Others I've tried, like Getflix, Nord VPN and a couple more may work for a couple but not the others.

I found keepsolid was inconsistent when.i first bought it in 2018 but it's very consistent for past 2 years and works with anything I've thrown at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

TheDriver wrote: »
    I found keepsolid was inconsistent when.i first bought it in 2018 but it's very consistent for past 2 years and works with anything I've thrown at it.

is there something in the settings that would enable prime uk? It worked for me for a couple of days, now it won't work at all with prime.

I need to log in to the Keep Solid app on my firestick regularly. Really annoying typing my email address and password using the firestick remote. Wish the had a remember me option.

ablelocks wrote: »
    is there something in the settings that would enable prime uk? It worked for me for a couple of days, now it won't work at all with prime.

Would also like to know about this too

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

If you have the fire TV app on your phone you can connect to the fire stick with it and type your log in details on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Have had these gizmos for a year or 2,great bit of kit.

Have an old MX box that has seen better days so looking to replace it with a second firestick, probably from Amazon. de.

A question tho, is the 4k version worth the extra bit? What does it bring to the party, considering I don't have a 4k TV in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Better everything. More storage, faster processor etc. Well worth the extra. Problem is they aren't supposed to be sold to the Irish Market. Amazon won't ship them to Ireland. Doesn't matter what Amazon you try. I believe Curry's in Ireland sell them and can be ordered from Donedeal but doubt you will get any heavily discounted ones like you can get from amazon

Edit: 51.75 euros on adverts with free p&p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Have an old MX box that has seen better days so looking to replace it with a second firestick, probably from Amazon. de.

A question tho, is the 4k version worth the extra bit? What does it bring to the party, considering I don't have a 4k TV in the house?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-with-alexa-voice-remote-10188019-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

100% worth it in my book. A bit of future proofing never hurt anyone. If one of your TVs packs in I'd be shocked if you didn't pick up a 4K TV this time round. Apart from 4K and being Dolby Vision compatible it has slightly more RAM too. The Lite isn't Dolby Atmos compatible in case you were eyeing up that one. Again, future proofing I'd imagine

At £29.99 it wasn't even a question for me but I know from chatting to people that not everybody would agree. You can compare models here: https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-comparison-table.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Better everything. More storage, faster processor etc. Well worth the extra. Problem is they aren't supposed to be sold to the Irish Market. Amazon won't ship them to Ireland. Doesn't matter what Amazon you try. I believe Curry's in Ireland sell them and can be ordered from Donedeal but doubt you will get any heavily discounted ones like you can get from amazon

Edit: 51.75 euros on adverts with free p&p

Is there any specific reason for this? Seems weird.

Advertisement