Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

TheDriver wrote: »
    Should be on the regular UK app store but you'll need a UK VPN too

Ok. Thanks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but if I change my country of residence to the UK, I can get the UK apps, including TV player, but prime video won't work? And if I switch back to Ireland, I'll still have those UK apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,955 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Beanstalk wrote:
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but if I change my country of residence to the UK, I can get the UK apps, including TV player, but prime video won't work? And if I switch back to Ireland, I'll still have those UK apps?

Yes I think you should have. I changed to the US for HBO, Hulu etc and back to the UK. I didn't lose any apps

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Beanstalk wrote: »

Anyone care to offer a step by step on how to do this?

Tried to do this before on the website and it didn't seem for work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,955 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Trevord wrote: »
    Anyone care to offer a step by step on how to do this?

Tried to do this before on the website and it didn't seem for work for me.

Google is your friend :)

https://playmo.tv/2017/03/how-to-install-apps-from-different-regions-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

tonc76 wrote: »
    In expressvpn use the UK>Wembley server for iPlayer. Works the majority of the time for me but can buffer at times also (particularly when windy which makes no sense?!). Have been trying keepsolid vpn over the weekend and have had no such issues.

I’m using Surfshark and having the same buffering issues with the iPlayer. I’m also finding that the ITV player is now detecting that I’m not in the uk. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Try stv player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Try stv player

Perfect. Not an app on the firestick, but managed to watch the last episode of the Singapore Grip to find out what the "Grip" was.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I have a problem with my FireTV box in that sometimes when I open an app (and always when I open All4) that the screen goes black and stays like that. I have to restart the box and clear the app's cache and then it starts. I have about 1GB of space free. Anyone ever get anything like this?

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Thanks I tried following instructions from the web before but it didn't seem work for me, as I still couldn't find the the UK only apps in the amazon store. So clearly I was doing something wrong. I will give in another go when I get a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

chrisire wrote: »
    Didn't get that error but when my year was up I rang eir and signed another 12 month contract and the lad on the phone said to cancel my prime video and sign up again with them as its a new contract so now I'm on my 2nd free year of prime video.

chrisire, I rang up and was told in order to get free amazon prime again I needed to have eir TV as part of my package, that involved signing up with them to AppleTv for €15pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

boardtc wrote: »
    chrisire, I rang up and was told in order to get free amazon prime again I needed to have eir TV as part of my package, that involved signing up with them to AppleTv for €15pm!

Strange,i don't have eir tv,just broadband,,what he told me to do was to cancel prime in the my eir app which i did,then when the month was up and it was cancelled then i just went into the eir app again and signed up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Thanks I tried following instructions from the web before but it didn't seem work for me, as I still couldn't find the the UK only apps in the amazon store. So clearly I was doing something wrong. I will give in another go when I get a chance

UK prime doesn't work in Ireland unless you had a previous UK address set up prior to Brexit.

Not sure if it will still work.
    But you must assign a UK address to your amazon account and tell them you're a UK user resident abroad and would like to have access to the UK content when you return.
    Then you use the VPN or DNS to change your loactin the UK on the device and Prime UK should then work.

Sup08 wrote: »
    UK prime doesn't work in Ireland unless you had a previous UK address set up prior to Brexit.

Not sure if it will still work.
    But you must assign a UK address to your amazon account and tell them you're a UK user resident abroad and would like to have access to the UK content when you return.
    Then you use the VPN or DNS to change your loactin the UK on the device and Prime UK should then work.

Misunderstanding there. I was switching country to access UK only apps, wasn't looking to access prime.

I watched Tanya's "live" feature and I've realised that it still goes and opens the app from the guide. You'd be as handy to just open TVPlayer itself and watch TV from there?

I watched Tanya's "live" feature and I've realised that it still goes and opens the app from the guide. You'd be as handy to just open TVPlayer itself and watch TV from there?

Agreed. It's being over hyped like it's some new capability. All it is really is a new menu function.

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I tried this but I can't see device listed in my account. It only shows content. Doesn't even have a device tab when I click into the Content and Devices.

Any ideas?

I tried this but I can't see device listed in my account. It only shows content. Doesn't even have a device tab when I click into the Content and Devices.

Any ideas?

TIP - Add a UK address to your address book first.

Then from the HOMEPAGE

CLICK Accounts and List (top of home page)

SELECT Manage Your Contents and Devices (in the popup menu)

Now SELECT Preferences.

Then SELECT Change your country region

Pick the UK address you added to the address book.

Remember to switch it back when you are done

TIP - Add a UK address to your address book first.

Then from the HOMEPAGE

CLICK Accounts and List (top of home page)

SELECT Manage Your Contents and Devices (in the popup menu)

Now SELECT Preferences.

Then SELECT Change your country region

Pick the UK address you added to the address book.

Remember to switch it back when you are done

Thanks for the advice. Turns out my amazon account was registered on amazon.com.au and I had my device registered to that account. All good now. Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: One last question; is the "Switch it back" absolutely needed? Or is it more of a remember to switch it back if you're going to be ordering stuff to your home address?

• Advertisement

Just to say, TVplayer app is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Can anybody recommend a good remote control app for the firestick, if there is such a thing?

The search process or entering a web address using the firestick remote is painful. I'm just looking for one that can override that using the keyboard on my phone.

Thanks, great thread, so great in fact that I'm ditching sky TV and just going with broadband and a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

JCDUB wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a good remote control app for the firestick, if there is such a thing?

The search process or entering a web address using the firestick remote is painful. I'm just looking for one that can override that using the keyboard on my phone.

Thanks, great thread, so great in fact that I'm ditching sky TV and just going with broadband and a stick.

This works fine for me https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.storm.lightning.client.aosp&hl=en_IE&gl=US

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

What’s the story now with ordering firesticks from Amazon, says only delivers to UK address and also doesn’t accept parcel motel address as a UK option. How does one go about ordering a fire stick now or has the ship sailed? Try Amazon in a European location instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

Currys sell them, but I think people are having issues with deliveries.
    I am trying to decide on a 4k firestick or the fire cube myself. Not willing to buy from Done Deal and Currys seem to be the only place stocking the 4k or the cube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

JIdontknow wrote: »
    What’s the story now with ordering firesticks from Amazon, says only delivers to UK address and also doesn’t accept parcel motel address as a UK option. How does one go about ordering a fire stick now or has the ship sailed? Try Amazon in a European location instead?

Isn't parcel motel only a Dublin address now, no UK option?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Isn't parcel motel only a Dublin address now, no UK option?

I’m honestly not sure, haven’t used it in ages and just tried it to see if it was even feasible as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I’m honestly not sure, haven’t used it in ages and just tried it to see if it was even feasible as an option.

Just checked on line,
    UK virtual address service temporarily suspended. For more information, please refer to the support section,so no more cheaper UK delivery.

CAn't do the parcel motel trick unless you are willing to double pay VAT and admin charge. However if it's on sale on amazon, it might work out cheaper to use adresspal than buying off currys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,700 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Argos has the Lite version for €36 if that's any good for you...

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&searchTerms=firestick&authToken=-1002%252CTb6zd56kFOpztp1WPmC9rktuDxQ%253D

Advertisement