Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

Brexit means it is now blocked in Ireland. You can watch primevideo.com on your laptop/tablet but not on your firestick. I spent a good bit of time with support trying to get them to enable it for me but they were having none of it.
    If you have sky it does work through your sky q box though for some reason. For now.

OMG, ffs,what a disaster, we have SKY alright but not on the 2nd TV which has the firestick :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Goose81

batistuta9 wrote: »
    They don't have 4k, there's FAQ on the website.

Another reason for the price is the sports shown, they're probably all niche there. a months pass for the Turkish league on bein sport is over 5 times more than a month ssport.
    Season pass is still 380 lira & it's half way through
    Trevord wrote: »
    I've got a 4k stick but don't have a 4k tv so can't say if it does 4k.

I'd be more concerned about buffering than picture quality and I can say that HD streams very well with no buffering. The fact that commentary is available in English for almost everything is also what makes it attractive.

As mentioned in another reply, the turkish lira collapsed in value against the euro and USD. It's only about 1/3 of its value compared to 5 years ago.

159 lira for the annual sub which is just shy of 18 euro right now. At exchange rates 5 years ago that would have been equivalent to about 50 euro.

Elsewhere on boards.ie you will see that people are subscribed to Netflix Turkey for similar reasons.

Thanks guys.

I got it sorted, 18 quid for a year.

In case its of any use to anyone here, I managed to get the official app on my tv (LG tv may not work for others)

I bought the sub through the phone then connected the TV through a Turkish VPN and changed my location on the TV to Turkey which allowed me to download the official app, changed the location store back to Ireland and app is still installed.

Works flawlessly but obviously has to be watched through a VPN at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There are two ways to get Amazon Prime Video: You can pay a monthly rate of $8.99 to access Amazon Prime Video as a standalone membership, according to a company spokesperson, or you can sign up for Prime, which costs $12.99 a month or $119 a year.Feb 26, 2019

This is a pretty good price when you see how weak Trump left the mighty dollar. Its less than 7.50 euro per month

first option is what i was thinking of - but did the spokesperson say it would work with a vpn on a firestick or does anyone else know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

If you have sky it does work through your sky q box though for some reason. For now.

just tried that - UK prime doesn't work for me on sky q

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

No me neither. You cannot change DNS settings or use a VPN on sky to the best of my knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

TheDriver wrote: »
    Some countries don't like paying for things, others like to be screwed. And companies price accordingly.
    e.g. the netflix trick. I told plenty yet not one did the move, even when I offered to help them. They just didn't mind paying Irish prices. Which is good for us as these companies don't care about a minute percentage of their clientele.

Ya the Netflix saving is very sizable. The Premium Plan is e17.99/month here and the equivalent of just e4.70 for the same plan in Turkey.

Ya the Netflix saving is very sizable. The Premium Plan is e17.99/month here and the equivalent of just e4.70 for the same plan in Turkey.

Is there any guides on here on how to sign-up to Turkish Netflix?

Goose81 wrote: »
    Is there any guides on here on how to sign-up to Turkish Netflix?

See Post # 1 at link below from bargain alerts section

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105093953

See Post # 1 at link below from bargain alerts section

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105093953

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ablelocks wrote:
    first option is what i was thinking of - but did the spokesperson say it would work with a vpn on a firestick or does anyone else know?

None of the streaming services want you to use VPNs. They definitely work. I'd suggest availing of amazon prime free trial on amazon.com /US. This gives you prime video US. During the trial period you can try different VPNs and smart dns. By the time you have to pay for prime video you will have your setup ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ebayissues

Anyone facing issues with firestick. I've not been able to connect to the internet over a day now. I've reset firestick, re-register Amazon account. Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

ebayissues wrote: »
    Anyone facing issues with firestick. I've not been able to connect to the internet over a day now. I've reset firestick, re-register Amazon account. Any ideas

Seen this before - people in this situation have had to buy a LAN adapter that allows you to plug it into a router or tp link.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ebayissues

Seen this before - people in this situation have had to buy a LAN adapter that allows you to plug it into a router or tp link.

I uninstalled by VPN and it worked. I use keepsolid.

Happy to hear.

Happy to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Having an issue installing ITV hub I. Ant get resolved. I can get it working on my phone but when I try and log in on firestick it's telling me the account is invalid. Using Nord VPN. Anyone having this issue?

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Having an issue installing it hub I. Ant get resolved. I can get it working on my phone but when I try and log in on firestick it's telling me the account is invalid. Using Nord VPN. Anyone having this issue?

Typos? I presume you mean ITV hub.

App is not working properly for me but I can get into it (using Nord). Plays programmes but then throws up error messages. It also loops back to the start at the ad break.

It's Tanya's Filelinked version I'm using 2.0.x.x_900000000. Could be that this version needs to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

boardtc wrote: »
    OMG, ffs,what a disaster, we have SKY alright but not on the 2nd TV which has the firestick :-(

Prime works fine on the Firestick if you're on the Irish version and install the smart TV app on the stick (as detailed further up this thread). There's not much difference between the UK and Irish prime catalogues other than the football.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Post COVID I presume you'll be able to buy these duty free if travelling through a UK airport.
    Alas, no. The UK has banned tax-free airport shopping. (Apart from duty-free alcohol & tobacco.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Having an issue installing ITV hub I. Ant get resolved. I can get it working on my phone but when I try and log in on firestick it's telling me the account is invalid. Using Nord VPN. Anyone having this issue?

Tanya's version works fine for me. Maybe go to settings and clear the data and cache for the app.
    I've found the ITV HUB has gone dreadful for the last few months, endless circling of ads. I started using STV player instead. You need mouse toggle and it's a big dodgy to pause things but when it is working, it's fine.

• Advertisement

Typos? I presume you mean ITV hub.

App is not working properly for me but I can get into it (using Nord). Plays programmes but then throws up error messages. It also loops back to the start at the ad break.

It's Tanya's Filelinked version I'm using 2.0.x.x_900000000. Could be that this version needs to be updated.

Aye sorry for typo. It works fine on my phone through browser but when i try an log into the firestick app it tells me that my login details are invalid or expired. I'm also not sure whether the field for username is your email address?

I'm not sure if i'm using Tanya's version? If anyone knows where I can get this could they pm me or link?

Aye sorry for typo. It works fine on my phone through browser but when i try an log into the firestick app it tells me that my login details are invalid or expired. I'm also not sure whether the field for username is your email address?

I'm not sure if i'm using Tanya's version? If anyone knows where I can get this could they pm me or link?

See op

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭batistuta9

afair you need to activate the app first with your account, you know them codes that show in some apps now. Did you do that?

btw latest version from amz store is 2.2.0

batistuta9 wrote: »
    afair you need to activate the app first with your account, you know them codes that show in some apps now. Did you do that?

btw latest version from amz store is 2.2.0

My firestick is US so I rely on Tanya but her version is 2.0.xxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i got a firestick lite for bedroom tv...one with the tv controls on remote.
    anyway...every time i go into it, speed upload and download is down to a crawl...speedtests show like 0.5 down and 0.02 or something upload...unusable.
    but a restart and its full speed...every time.
    its not the router as we've changed router recently and its same.
    wonder what causes that ?
    turning wifi on and off doesnt work, only restarting the stick.

i have a kill all background apps app too.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i got a firestick lite for bedroom tv...one with the tv controls on remote.
    anyway...every time i go into it, speed upload and download is down to a crawl...speedtests show like 0.5 down and 0.02 or somethingThat sound like weak wifi to me. It is behind the TV? upload...unusable.
    but a restart and its full speed...every time.
    its not the router as we've changed router recently and its same.
    wonder what causes that ?
    turning wifi on and off doesnt work, only restarting the stick.

i have a kill all background apps app too.

When you say "full speed" - what are those speeds? What speed do you get over wifi from other devices in the same spot as the tv?

For how long does it stay at full speed before it drops to the trickle you mentioned above?

Bring the tv near to the router if you can and run those test again. If the speeds are still the same then you'll have ruled out weak wifi as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

When you say "full speed" - what are those speeds? What speed do you get over wifi from other devices in the same spot as the tv?

For how long does it stay at full speed before it drops to the trickle you mentioned above?

Bring the tv near to the router if you can and run those test again. If the speeds are still the same then you'll have ruled out weak wifi as an issue.

its in range of router...firestick says "very good"
    full speed for us is 30meg
    when does it happen ?...i dunno....seems to be when its left doing nothing for a while, as it'll be perfect for a whole evening once connected correctly, but its either when it goes to sleep or isnt streaming data for a period.

My firestick can get 300 on wifi.

I've solved my UK apps issue. I went into my US amazon account, changed device location to UK. Turned on UK VPN too and hey presto, all the apps. Tanya's ones are quite out of date.
    Once finished, I changed my account back to US and the apps work perfectly with a UK VPN now.
    BTW, STV player is a lot better than ITV player.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    My firestick is US so I rely on Tanya but her version is 2.0.xxxxxxx

I got it sorted! I was looking at the YouTube links on the op which weren't working and then I realised the answer was staring me right in the face. Thanks folks!

Advertisement