Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

TheDriver wrote: »
    Yes bbc. No, VPN must be on for all the UK players AFAIK, except All4.

Ah right. Sorry I read your previous post incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

What VPN do people recommend? Any decent free ones available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭bassy

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    What VPN do people recommend? Any decent free ones available?

For anyone looking to try Keepsolid VPN there is a 6 months free offer going at the moment.

No CC card required. Create a username and login and then use the code on the page linked here

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/kee...h-code-3648104

The firestick app in on the ****** store.

Worked for BBC Iplayer

Ran a few speed tests for UK and US servers and they were better than what I get with Nord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭bassy

damn think the above deal over.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Ok think I f**ked up, I was logging onto Prime and it mentioned something about location. I picked Ireland in the stupid belief it would allow me to watch prime content on my Firestick in Ireland but now I get nothing. Even the stuff that should work. I get error PLR_PRS_CALL_FAILED

I guess this is because the Firestick isn't supported in Ireland? DO I have to get back onto them to switch me back to UK? Thanks

Don't try to run content via homescreen open primevideo app directly and should work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Don't try to run content via homescreen open primevideo app directly and should work

the pre-installed Prime app won't work with an Irish Prime account, you need to install the Prime for Smart TVs app from aptoide. If you want to use the built in app, you need a UK account and a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    At the moment the firesticks are on offer on amazon Italy, I only checked one Italian forwarding service but it was expensive.

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/firestick
    It just dawned on my you could possibly just buy firesticks from other EU countries, not via amazon (who will not deliver so you need a forwarding service). Like the french version of currys.

These have a lite one for €30

https://www.boulanger.com/c/carte-tv/brand~amazon

Dunno if they delivery here, its one of these nuisance sites that makes you sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

rubadub wrote: »
    It just dawned on my you could possibly just buy firesticks from other EU countries, not via amazon (who will not deliver so you need a forwarding service). Like the french version of currys.

These have a lite one for €30

https://www.boulanger.com/c/carte-tv/brand~amazon

Dunno if they delivery here, its one of these nuisance sites that makes you sign up.

There's not much info on delivery. Even using Google translate. Some of the links are a dead ends. That's not to say dont buy from them but it could work out well if it was an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GBX wrote: »
    There's not much info on delivery.

If you could find the equivalent of a "bargain alerts" forum for various EU sites it you could possibly find a decent offer. That was just the first example that cropped up. I would have spent more time if I was actually in the market for one right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Re VPNs

Stacksocial has KeepSolid (VPN Unlimted) for 5 devices for 40 USD for a "lifetime" sub.

There was a discount going "DN40" that brought the cost down to close to 20 USD. I got that a few weeks back.

Google discounts and see what you find or try that DN40 on stacksocial to see if it still works.

It seems to be a good enough service so far. I know people on here are using it
    and seem happy.

Works very well for US for Peacock and NBCSN. So far I have found it a bit patchy for Iplayer - but maybe I'm not picking right server.

Nord works out at about 30 euro per year, so KeepSolid lifetime sub for equivalent of 18 euro is worth a go as a backup or possible replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

lertsnim wrote: »
    You have to download a separate prime video app to access the Irish content on your firestick.

Wow, where do I find that?

glen123 got it working after they reset some settings

[QUOTE=glen123;116209481]Yes bbc. No, VPN must be on for all the UK players AFAIK, except All4.[/QUOTE]

glen123 Can you clarify please the steps needed to access bbc iplayer with no vpn?

boardtc wrote: »
    Wow, where do I find that?

glen123 got it working after they reset some settings

it's on Aptoide - https://prime-video-android-tv.en.aptoide.com/app
    glen123 Can you clarify please the steps needed to access bbc iplayer with no vpn?

I think you've misunderstood, you do need a VPN or Smart DNS for the iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

That poster was referring to amazon prime i believe.

They have only 4 posts on this thread and not 1 of them mention BBC iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

For anyone using Tanya's filelinked, the UK apps are very outdated. I changed my account to UK and there were big updates for most of my UK apps. Seems easy to periodically change country, do updates and change back.
    Before, the apps you got from the appstore would disappear when you changed country. Not any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Screen going black and staying like that when I try open apps like iPlayer and All4. If I delete cache it works sometimes. If I have my VPN Unlimited off it works sometimes but that’s not any use.

Any idea what’s happening?

IrlJidel wrote: »
    You don't need to sideload TG4 - it's in the Appstore and since update in Nov works perfect. For rte - use tanyas filelinked store linked in OP sticky - doesnt have live tv but has 0 ads

Thanks for this! I did a search like for a film and it leads to the screen to "get" it. Then it looks for my amazon prime pin, and it's looking for a 5 digit pin. I even went to the URL it mentions (well it says .com), amazon.co.uk/pin and reset my 4 digit pin, bizarre, so I can't install.... does anyone know what's going on?

For anyone using Tanya's filelinked, the UK apps are very outdated. I changed my account to UK and there were big updates for most of my UK apps. Seems easy to periodically change country, do updates and change back.
    Before, the apps you got from the appstore would disappear when you changed country. Not any more

I downloaded filelinked and entered tanya's code...it comes up, but there is no store in sight? putting something in the search I can't get it to search, any tips?

Where do you change the country?

Trevord wrote: »
    Re VPNs

Stacksocial has KeepSolid (VPN Unlimted) for 5 devices for 40 USD for a "lifetime" sub.

There was a discount going "DN40" that brought the cost down to close to 20 USD. I got that a few weeks back.

Google discounts and see what you find or try that DN40 on stacksocial to see if it still works.

It seems to be a good enough service so far. I know people on here are using it
    and seem happy.

Works very well for US for Peacock and NBCSN. So far I have found it a bit patchy for Iplayer - but maybe I'm not picking right server.

Nord works out at about 30 euro per year, so KeepSolid lifetime sub for equivalent of 18 euro is worth a go as a backup or possible replacement.

It seems like there is no super smooth solution for iPlayer :-(
    I assume you have to keep swapping country in the vpn if you say want to watch rte player, is that a pain or easy to switch?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It's more an issue with specific apps rather than all sideloaded apps.

I tried a newer version of the rte player & it wouldn't open, just went back to the 101 version which works well

You could try tg4 with a browser, that's what I do for it & virgin. Wouldn't be bothered with mouse toggle etc.

Thanks for that. I tried the install of rteplayer from the OP http://joujoujou.com/images/rte.apk and it worked perfect.

TG4 is in the amazon appstore now, if you do a search it will show up, that said I am having issues installing it.

• Advertisement

glen123 wrote: »
    My account was set to UK and because I am physically in Ireland, a lot of content stopped working that should have worked for Irish customers (tennis, for example). It took me 2 chat attempts for Amazon (had to be transferred to Digital Team) to change some setting on my account back to Ireland before things started working. First chat kept quoting me Brexit and 1st of Jan :)

I tried chat again today and got quoted chapter and verse. "Due to licencing restrictions, if you have an Amazon device (Fire TV, Kindle, Echo, Fire Tablet, etc.) that was purchased from a specific Marketplace (in this case, Amazon.co.uk), then you can only use the Amazon apps (such as Prime Video, Amazon Music, etc.) if you are in the UK or Channel Islands. You can still use other streaming apps such as Netflix or YouTube, but not Prime Video."

They gave me this link, Ireland is not officially supported on the 4k firestick they say we have to get a Fire TV Stick Basic Edition
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201624360

Does anyone have Amazon prime video working in Ireland on the 4k firestick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I tried chat again today and got quoted chapter and verse. "Due to licencing restrictions, if you have an Amazon device (Fire TV, Kindle, Echo, Fire Tablet, etc.) that was purchased from a specific Marketplace (in this case, Amazon.co.uk), then you can only use the Amazon apps (such as Prime Video, Amazon Music, etc.) if you are in the UK or Channel Islands. You can still use other streaming apps such as Netflix or YouTube, but not Prime Video."

They gave me this link, Ireland is not officially supported on the 4k firestick they say we have to get a Fire TV Stick Basic Edition
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201624360

Does anyone have Amazon prime video working in Ireland on the 4k firestick?

Yea, you need to go to primevideo.com and ensure that region is set to Ireland. I can't play videos directly from the home screen but everything works as it should within the prime video app

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have a 4k firestick, also have Broadband with Eir, which gives me free Amazon Prime tv for a year. Could never get it working on the Firestick.

Out of the blue it works on my Firestick now, I didn't do anything recently that would have activated it but am enjoying it. When I go to settings to check my account and it mentioned 3rd party so I'm guessing that somehow it's connected to my Eir account.

It seems like there is no super smooth solution for iPlayer :-(
    I assume you have to keep swapping country in the vpn if you say want to watch rte player, is that a pain or easy to switch?

Smart DNS is the best solution, it will redirect iPlayer to a UK server, Hulu to the US etc while leaving the local apps alone. Many of the VPN services have a DNS-based option.

Are there any apps which will allow me to watch saorview channels on firestick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Are there any apps which will allow me to watch saorview channels on firestick?

Firestick doesn't do general live TV. But each app can. You can get live TV from RTE/VIRGIN media and all the UK ones as per the OP.

Firestick doesn't do general live TV. But each app can. You can get live TV from RTE/VIRGIN media and all the UK ones as per the OP.

I downloaded TV Player app and theirs no RTE or VM live TV on it or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

On a slightly different note I see Tesco UK is dropping the price of the 4K Firestick to £34.95 from midnight tonight which usually indicates a price drop from Amazon. Get in early before they are gone.

Advertisement