Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Might be a stupid question, but if I pick this up in a few months, would it be possible to load the HTC sense OS onto it or at the very least download a theme with the HTC sense clock widget etc?

I hate the Samsung Galaxy OS, hence the question... (I know both run Android underneath)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Once its rooted you will be able to load custom ROMS if your willing to root your device... personally I think HTC sense is **** I pulled it off my desire ages ago...

You can get the Beautiful Widgets Clock widget which looks as good or better then HTC's resource heavy b1tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I've decided on the Galaxy II as my next handset but I'm really not liking the rumours of a June launch. I'm chomping at the bit for a new handset too as I'm using currently using a standard handset that really needs to be retired at this stage. I can't wait to see how amazing the Super AMOLED Plus screen looks in person as, from what I've been reading, it will be the best screen on any handset ever!

Hopefully Ireland will be unaffected by the delay, well see early next month I guess!

As for the Super AMOLED as much as it pains me to say that the apple retina display is the best about mobile wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The iPhone 4 might have a higher resolution, but the Galaxy S II will have more accurate colour reproduction, much better outdoor visibility, better contrast ratio and better viewing angles. Either way, both handsets' screens have great strengths and we'll hopefully find out soon which looks better in every day use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

I don't think any release dates are ever met so maybe June/July might be a more realistic date.

It's showing on the "coming soon" page on vodafone UK
    http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/coming-soon/mobile-phones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Some sites reported that the 32GB version might cost 1100 :eek::eek::eek::eek: if that confirms true than Samsung lost their damn mind

@Loggie They are tweeting and enforcing that its on track for a April / May release.

@Evolutionqy7 Edit: Sorry I see what you mean but if you look at the iphone 4 32gb its 934euro and that phone is a year old: http://www.expansys.ie/apple-iphone-4-eu-black-32gb-200804/

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

In the three store yesterday and asked about a release date for this phone and was told its planned for release roughly the same time as the iPhone 5 around August - yes - August :eek:

Total rubbish, shop staff no nothing, they are told nothing... I learned this a long time ago. They feed rubbish to sound intelligble... its the same reason they regurgitate the rubbish about "Make sure you charge your phone for 12 hours before using it" Outdated mumbo jumbo.

It will be out in May whether early or late May that is the question, i questioned samsung on FB and they suggested it was on track for an early May release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

fionny wrote: »
    It will be out in May whether early or late May that is the question, i questioned samsung on FB and they suggested it was on track for an early May release.

Sim free for a top dollar price....again any of the phone operators have it sorted for release it will be at least June I reckon...

We'll see I doubt it, I reckon we will have it in May sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Looks like May 1st for the UK [linky]
    Can't be much later here.
    Press release confirms Andorid 2.3 and 1.2Ghz dual core.

Ya I hope it might even get a simultaneous launch in Ireland, probably not though, we'll prob get it mid may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

£500 for the 16GB version on play at the moment... Extremely tempted!

Sure who needs a holiday when you've got an awesome phone anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

tman wrote: »

I'm always surprised to see people are willing to fork out such large sums for an unlocked phone. Does it really make sense?

I got my Galaxy S last July for €99, on a 12 month €35 contract with meteor, which includes more minutes/texts/MB's than I ever use. I think meteor have the same bundle on a rolling monthly contract for €25 a month, so you can say that I will have paid €219 for the handset by the time my contract is up (€99 + (12*€10)). I don't know how much I would have paid at the time for an unlocked galaxy s, but on play.com at the moment they have them for £349.99.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the S II "in the flesh", and come July when my contract is up, I may well go for it (depending on the price).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I detest the thought of being tied into a contract for 24 months and also using the same phone for that 24 months (I live in London and any decent phone out there has a 24 month contract)

The Desire HD for example can be got for £400 sim free, whereas if I were to pick up a 24 month contract with Vodafone I'd have to pay £100 and then a tenner per month more than I'm paying for my sim only contract at the moment.

For the sake of an extra £60, I'd rather just pay upfront and own the damn thing!
    I would be amazed if the Galaxy S II is available for just £30 a month, and might even consider getting one on contract then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i have the samsung galaxy.i have it rooted on darkys etc.
    can you do that with the samsung galaxy II ?
    im just curious,id be a bit reluctant to do it this time id leave it alone for as long as i could.
    just wondering if you can?

well done play.com your milking the profits there.£500 DOES NOT equate to 624 euros.
    £500 at the moment is 564 euros.bloody robbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i have the samsung galaxy.i have it rooted on darkys etc.
    can you do that with the samsung galaxy II ?
    im just curious,id be a bit reluctant to do it this time id leave it alone for as long as i could.
    just wondering if you can?

It is very likely that the galaxy S II will be rooted within a month or two of availability, but the big reason for rooting galaxy S was for the lagfix, which may not be a necessity for S II as the native file system is rumoured to be EXT4 and not RFS.

Of course, rooting does permit many other hacks, optimizations and customizations in terms of the kernel, framework and rom, but out of the box performance of S II should be pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

well done play.com your milking the profits there.£500 DOES NOT equate to 624 euros.

Expansys have it listed for preorder at €574.99 which appears reasonable, but its not clear if the availability would be early May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

Have you considered what effect different VAT rates might have in different countries, different minimum wages and wage structures, and different business overheads such as rent and rates?

I had to make an online purchase this week. I bought it from company in the UK
    which charges me £204. I checked with the same company in Ireland, and they would have charged me €600 for the same product. The product is barcodes. Now that is a real rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Are Play shipping electronics to Ireland now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

O2 Ireland gave a loose statement of end of May/June for it's release with them (on their forum) - prob worth holding out to see what kind of subsidised deals they offer.

Interesting fact, o2 are now the most expensive network in Ireland after surpassing vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

fionny wrote: »
    Interesting fact, o2 are now the most expensive network in Ireland after surpassing vodafone.

I'd be more interested in the fact about who is cheapest?!!

That's easy, emobile, meteor, three in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

edwinkane wrote: »
    Have you considered what effect different VAT rates might have in different countries, different minimum wages and wage structures, and different business overheads such as rent and rates?

I had to make an online purchase this week. I bought it from company in the UK
    which charges me £204. I checked with the same company in Ireland, and they would have charged me €600 for the same product. The product is barcodes. Now that is a real rip off!

It should make no difference at all in plays case, they haven't any minimum wages or rent and rates differnces to worry about they still ship from the same places, the only difference is he clicked the euro symbol.
    Play have always had dodgy exchange rates and they'll only let you pay their euro price from Ireland.
    Not that it matters in this case as they still won't ship electronics outside the UK.

dloob wrote: »
    It should make no difference at all in plays case, they haven't any minimum wages or rent and rates differnces to worry about they still ship from the same places, the only difference is he clicked the euro symbol.
    Play have always had dodgy exchange rates and they'll only let you pay their euro price from Ireland.
    Not that it matters in this case as they still won't ship electronics outside the UK.

Play's exchange rate is an utter joke and that why I now buy from Amazon.co.uk instead... its still free postage if over 25GBP very quick delivery and their customer service is second to none... also they do ship all their electronics to ireland.

• Advertisement

dloob wrote: »

is there a reason for that?seeing as amazon do it why not play?im sure this q has been answered before but im not going to look for it :)

Advertisement