Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

TuneIn Radio is free and many times better than the FM radio app on the Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

ongarite wrote: »

yes, but you are using data and need to be in a 3g area for good coverage, which is not always the case if you were commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ongarite wrote: »

I use tunein on average for two hours a day. It's this reason that I won't buy another phone without fm radio. It uses data it's a battery hog and it's absolutely useless if you're trying to listening to commentary at a sporting event. It does have it uses but for local and national radio it's a poor substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I think the phone looks too big, It is impressive but a bit too large and that would put me off the phone to be honest.

I use tune in radio quite a bit, I use it on my way to and from work and no major issues with it. I never use the FM Radio on the Galaxy S (as I need to use the earphones that came with the phone and they are shocking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

Panic over - LED flash and RDS FM radio included...

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9100_galaxy_s_ii-3621.php#

Some lineup....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Race is on for the networks to stock it... I hope they dont do the usual lark of getting it late...

See Nexus S only being announced by Vodafone and O2 now when its been outdated already.

Sim free all the way - saves money in the long run not having to sign up to a 'Smart Phone' plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Yeah, I agree, but get in quick Clove price gone up to £528 since yesterday (-I'm sure they can still change this after you pre-order it, mind you)

I disagree, the cost simfree is madness where as there is a lucrative re-sale value on smartphones.

Example, I currently own a HTC Desire bought for 180euro on 1 year contract with Meteor... my contract is nearly up in time to buy a Galaxy S2 from probably around 200euro on another 12 month contract.

I can get my desire unlocked and sell its second hand on ebay for around 290 euro... rinse and repeat...

I already did the same thing when I owned an iPhone 3g...

fionny wrote: »
    I disagree, the cost simfree is madness where as there is a lucrative re-sale value on smartphones.

Example, I currently own a HTC Desire bought for 180euro on 1 year contract with Meteor... my contract is nearly up in time to buy a Galaxy S2 from probably around 200euro on another 12 month contract.

I can get my desire unlocked and sell its second hand on ebay for around 290 euro... rinse and repeat...

I already did the same thing when I owned an iPhone 3g...

Minimum o2 Smartphone rates of €45/month for 150 minutes - i use 1000+ minutes per month and my bill is around €40-50 / month - happy to buy simfree and also not wait until Christmas for this phone...!!

• Advertisement

Fair enough if your a heavy heavy user I use meteor at the moment as they are the best value by a long shot and am on the 35euro Tarrif.

If i I had 500GBP spare id buy the phone now but alas like most people these days im fecken broke.

Fair enough if your a heavy heavy user I use meteor at the moment as they are the best value by a long shot and am on the 35euro Tarrif.

If i I had 500GBP spare id buy the phone now but alas like most people these days im fecken broke.

o2 Clear (€24.90) - Unlimited calls to O2 & Irish Landline works out very well for me i also add GPRS 250mb (i think for around €7.50/month) - might be worth a look... http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/plans/

Ohh I need a gig data minimum for my smartphone plan's

Ohh I need a gig data minimum for my smartphone plan's

Do you really use that much data each month on your phone...?

I regularly use 300-400 megs a month and sometimes up to 700megs,

never been over the gig mark though. Dont see the point in having a smartphone if your cant have push emails, facebook feeds, regular browsing and app downloads and maybe the occasional song too safely.

I regularly use 300-400 megs a month and sometimes up to 700megs,

never been over the gig mark though. Dont see the point in having a smartphone if your cant have push emails, facebook feeds, regular browsing and app downloads and maybe the occasional song too safely.

Fair enough - i use my phone (N97) for email browsing ect and have great difficulty using 50meg - i do use the wireless in the house & office but only automatically download the headers for each email so i can select which ones i want to read in full... suppose each to their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Youtube, streaming music, installing\updating apps....wouldn't be long going through the mb's over the space of a month.....

1gb should be a minimum, most people will never go over it, but at least you don't have to skimp or wonder how many mb's this or that will use....

I only over 1gb easily over the course of a month, if you believe people only use 250mb, you are listening to the tripe of O2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Most I've managed is 3 GB and that was downloading a couple of podcasts every day.

I'm on Meteor Bill Pay Lite so €10 plan + €15 for 10 GB :)

Ill leave meteor if 3 gets the Galaxy S2 first, in some ways im hoping they do as Im getting a bit tired of Meteors lack of 3g coverage, although im not looking forward to the awful indian call centres 3 use.

I really hope the networks bulldoze on fast with this.

• Advertisement

Ill leave meteor if 3 gets the Galaxy S2 first, in some ways im hoping they do as Im getting a bit tired of Meteors lack of 3g coverage, although im not looking forward to the awful indian call centres 3 use.

I really hope the networks bulldoze on fast with this.

I mostly use the 3 forum now on boards to get things resolved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I regularly use 1GB plus of my 2GB allowance every month.

Buddy of mine has an iPhone on PAYG with no data package, never has data services switched on, may as well have a Nokia 3210 at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm liking the look of that battery an awful lot. :D

Extra screen size will eat that up. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually performs worse than SGS1. Only 150 extra milliamp for about an extra square inch of screen. 4.3" is a lot of screen to light up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Scotty # wrote: »
    Extra screen size will eat that up. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually performs worse than SGS1. Only 150 extra milliamp for about an extra square inch of screen. 4.3" is a lot of screen to light up!
    Supposedly the new screen is more efficient. I'm not really worried about it being no better than the SGS1, if the new battery allows it to equal it then job done IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Getting fed up with my DHD so will be using it as a second phone and just pre ordered the sgsII from clove, hopefully its not a let down!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

The Samsung Galaxy SII is listed for €844.99 on expansys.ie with a likely shipping date of 18-Apr-2011! :eek:

Will be interesting to see what the prices on contract are likely to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Jayzuz, thats stupid money. surely thats not going to be the actual retail on these things. its double that of the 1st galaxy s.

Nah they are probably putting a "safety" price on it, I reckon it will be around 200 with a 12month contract on meteor anyway *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I got my Galaxy S in the carphone warehouse last year and I don't think any of the networks had it at that point (open to correction) so maybe that'll happen again with this phone? My current contract isn't up til July so I'm not in a massive rush. I paid €99 up front for the S on a 12 month contract at €35 a month with meteor so hopefully the S2 won't be more than €200 up front.

• Advertisement

Cool beans ill keep an eye on the Carphone Warehouse for it then!

Advertisement