Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Oops ...apoligies for the huge pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Obviously the xformer would have to be changed to 24V but otherwise it should work? I don't have a chime ...just a handset in the sitting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Obviously the xformer would have to be changed to 24V but otherwise it should work? I don't have a chime ...just a handset in the sitting room.

You'll need a 24v transformer and a chime/bell but it looks like the wiring is already in place (providing your happy to put a bell where the handset is or extend the wiring to a more suitable location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I have a Nest Hello and very happy with it.

One question though: When someone rings the doorbell, is there anyway to tell if someone has already answered it?

There has been situations where the post man rings, and both my OH and I answer, he can hear both of us, but we can't hear each other so we don't realise, and the poor post man gets awful confused.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I have a Nest Hello and very happy with it.

One question though: When someone rings the doorbell, is there anyway to tell if someone has already answered it?

There has been situations where the post man rings, and both my OH and I answer, he can hear both of us, but we can't hear each other so we don't realise, and the poor post man gets awful confused.

That's a good question, might be something that they build into future versions of the app i.e. if one person responds to the doorbell none of the other connected apps can.

I'd also like to see them implement an option to have your own canned messages similar to how you can send "I'll call you back" type pre-drafted messages if you reject a call on your phone. I can see the potential problems with such a system though :D

"Feck off, I don't want to switch my electricity supplier"

"See that big sign on the door saying "No Junk Mail", the crap in your hand is junk mail, don't even think about putting it through the letter box"

"No, I don't want my soul to be saved by jesus, I sold my soul to the devil years ago and would much rather go to hell where all my friends will be than heaven where all my rosary saying aunties will be."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Seasonal Halloween tone... only available in the US they (Google Nest) are saying.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9231819#doorbell_theme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Unfortunately it does seem to be US only.

They invented Halloween you see!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hi All

Considering going to get one of these today

Can you tell me is the attached transformer ok ?

Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Hi All

Considering going to get one of these today

Can you tell me is the attached transformer ok ?

Thanks !

That transformer looks good, however its not possible to tell which volt it is currently wired for. That transformer supports 8v, 12v and 24v so it will work, but you might need to re-wire so its running at 24v.

slayerking wrote: »
    That transformer looks good, however its not possible to tell which volt it is currently wired for. That transformer supports 8v, 12v and 24v so it will work, but you might need to re-wire so its running at 24v.

Is it easy enough to rewire ? I am presuming just putting a wire into a different terminal ?

• Advertisement

Is it easy enough to rewire ? I am presuming just putting a wire into a different terminal ?

Yes you're correct it's literally a 30 second job, like wiring a plug BUT messing around with your fuse box and live electricity is not to be taken lightly.

If you don't have much DIY experience, particularly in relation to electricity, you need to proceed very cautiously or preferably get someone qualified to do it for you.

54and56 wrote: »
    Yes you're correct it's literally a 30 second job, like wiring a plug BUT messing around with your fuse box and live electricity is not to be taken lightly.

If you don't have much DIY experience, particularly in relation to electricity, you need to proceed very cautiously or preferably get someone qualified to do it for you.

Grand, sure I will connect it up and if its too low a voltage I will get a pro in

Grand, sure I will connect it up and if its too low a voltage I will get a pro in

My concern isn't that you'll incorrectly wire the transformer, as long as you can read you'l get that part right, my concern is that if you aren't experienced in electrical DIY you may be taking a lot more risk than you appreciate and should get a pro in despite the fact it's only a 30 second job!!

My concern isn't that you'll incorrectly wire the transformer, as long as you can read you'l get that part right, my concern is that if you aren't experienced in electrical DIY you may be taking a lot more risk than you appreciate and should get a pro in despite the fact it's only a 30 second job!!

I get you, I mean I will connect the doorbell and if it says the voltage is too low ill call someone

Not gonna take any risk at the fuse box !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

If you do decide to try rewire it, just make sure you trip the relevant circuit so its not live, and if in doubt trip the entire fusebox while you do it (you might need a flash light!). And even then, have a phase tester to cross check its not live as a sanity check, they are cheap as chips. Point being, just be extremely careful when dealing with anything to do with mains electricity!

In any case, it's a straight forward job alright.

Shouldn't have worried, all worked with no issues !

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I was thinking of picking one of these up but I'm not too sure about installing it. Are there any companies that would do the installation in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I was thinking of picking one of these up but I'm not too sure about installing it. Are there any companies that would do the installation in the Dublin area?

An electrician should be able to do it for you. Rates vary. I was charged 60 euro but all wiring was existing and chime was there. I supplied transformer for circuit board...I knew the guy well though so I'd say 90 euro more reasonable price and then more depending on your existing bell setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Ring Pro discounted to £139 in the Amazon Black Friday sale.

Any sign of the Nest Hello getting a similar discount from Google? I've my fingers crossed as I want to buy one soon!!

Picked it up today along with Google home hub.

Luckily I have a 8v-24v transformer already in my fuse box for bell. So just a matter of wiring it up

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jesh1

Hi all,
    Looking to install nest hello current set up is as follows in the attached image. Will my transformer suffice? Also anyone talk me through the installation. Not sure of it's clear in the photo. There is connection labelled 0,1,2,3
    Most tutorials online are two connection chimes.

• Advertisement

Jesh1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking to install nest hello current set up is as follows in the attached image. Will my transformer suffice? Also anyone talk me through the installation. Not sure of it's clear in the photo. There is connection labelled 0,1,2,3
    Most tutorials online are two connection chimes.

Transformer looks fine provided it's wired for 24v not 8v.

Can't help with the other challenge, waaaay beyond my DIY pay grade!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi

I just got my Nest Hello from google store.

What can I expect an electrician to charge to install it? I have a wired chime but probably need a new transformer.

Thanks

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi

I just got my Nest Hello from google store.

What can I expect an electrician to charge to install it? I have a wired chime but probably need a new transformer.

Thanks

Assuming its straightforward it'll likely take less than an hour providing you have advised the electrician in advance that you may need a new transformer.

Depending on where you live etc it could cost anywhere from €60 if you find a friendly local electrician to €90 + a call out charge (travel time isn't free) plus the cost of the transformer which wholesale is circa €15 IIRC.

Micks_address put it well - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111747145&postcount=469

The only other issue you may have to deal with is ensuring a strong WiFi signal at the Nest location. My signal was weak at the front door resulting in drop outs initially but I installed a range extender nearby and that solved the problem. Since them I've had 99% uptime with the odd drop out for a few minutes if there was a WiFi issue in the house generally or for some other unknown reason but it always comes back online itself fairly quickly.

Assuming its straightforward it'll likely take less than an hour providing you have advised the electrician in advance that you may need a new transformer.

Depending on where you live etc it could cost anywhere from €60 if you find a friendly local electrician to €90 + a call out charge (travel time isn't free) plus the cost of the transformer which wholesale is circa €15 IIRC.

Micks_address put it well - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111747145&postcount=469

The only other issue you may have to deal with is ensuring a strong WiFi signal at the Nest location. My signal was weak at the front door resulting in drop outs initially but I installed a range extender nearby and that solved the problem. Since them I've had 99% uptime with the odd drop out for a few minutes if there was a WiFi issue in the house generally or for some other unknown reason but it always comes back online itself fairly quickly.

Thanks very much for the detail.

I’m about to order the 24V transformer from amazon. However it seems most chimes here and UK are only 16V. Is this ok to use with a 24V transformer? I’m assuming that’s what everyone is doing but just wanted to make sure!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

nialldinho wrote: »
    I’m about to order the 24V transformer from amazon. However it seems most chimes here and UK are only 16V. Is this ok to use with a 24V transformer? I’m assuming that’s what everyone is doing but just wanted to make sure!

Thanks

Yeah my chine is 16v and no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Doorbell themes added to App today ... Christmas/New Year/Winter :)

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Doorbell themes added to App today ... Christmas/New Year/Winter :)

Just got that alert in the Nest app. Are they any good? How are you supposed to choose in the app if you can't hear the chime other than I guess selecting it and then ringing the doorbell. IMHO the app should work like choosing a ring tone for your phone, when you select one from the list the phone plays a sample.

Add the nest yesterday, added the Christmas chime. Picked up the nest hub also and very imprsssed at how quick the feed comes up.on it and the notifications appear, compared to the delay of 20sexs of the bilnk XT2 (still love the blink though).

Only problem is the wall beside my door frame is too much in the camera fame, so affecting night vision (glare) and also restricting view on the right. So gonna drill hole from at an angle from front wall to the door bell at the frame and bring the bell wire through the front making it a neater job. Or I could move the bell over to the right side of the door and completely bypass chime and just wire directly from transformer.

Any do this? I take it the bell just needs the power to it and wife and will notify us through the 4 Google homes we have plotted around the house instead of using the chime.

Can you at night time choose what Google home the chime comes on, i.e we have Google homes in the kids rooms and I wouldn't want to have them going off at night if door bell is rang, I would prefer to have that happen during the day u til 7pm and then after that if the bell is rang that the home hub in living room/kitchen will chime.

Was hoping that there was some sort of IFTTT or hue integration so that if the bell is rang the lights in the living room flash or something like that.

BobbyT28

• Advertisement

Have nest door connect now 24hrs. Still haven't received 30day nest aware trial. Anyone experience this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

BobbyT28 wrote: »

Any do this? I take it the bell just needs the power to it and wife and will notify us through the 4 Google homes we have plotted around the house instead of using the chime.

The only problem with that is that you won't get a chime if the internet connection or wifi is not working
    Can you at night time choose what Google home the chime comes on, i.e we have Google homes in the kids rooms and I wouldn't want to have them going off at night if door bell is rang, I would prefer to have that happen during the day u til 7pm and then after that if the bell is rang that the home hub in living room/kitchen will chime.

You can set a Do Not Disturb schedule on each device via the Google Home app.
    Was hoping that there was some sort of IFTTT or hue integration so that if the bell is rang the lights in the living room flash or something like that.

BobbyT28

Not any more, the had a falling out over the switch from "Works with Nest" to "Works with Google Assistant" programmes and the Nest applets in IFTTT no longer work.

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hey all,

Am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Nest Hello soon and wanted to confirm that I have understood all the workings and features of the device.

My assumptions so far:

I have a standard wired doorbell chime right now.

When I install the nest correctly and someone rings the bell my existing standard chime will sound as normal AND I'll get some notification / video stream on my phone / app (I don't have any Google Home speakers etc...)

If I enable the Do No Disturb mode and someone rings the bell, my existing standard chime will NOT sound but I will get a notification on my phone / app.

Lastly, if I have a chromecast enabled on my tv can the video stream be thrown up on the TV as part of the notification process.

Regards,

quazzy wrote: »
    Hey all,

Am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Nest Hello soon and wanted to confirm that I have understood all the workings and features of the device.

My assumptions so far:

I have a standard wired doorbell chime right now.

When I install the nest correctly and someone rings the bell my existing standard chime will sound as normal AND I'll get some notification / video stream on my phone / app (I don't have any Google Home speakers etc...)

Correct
    If I enable the Do No Disturb mode and someone rings the bell, my existing standard chime will NOT sound but I will get a notification on my phone / app.

Correct except in the app its an option called "Quiet Time" not "Do Not Disturb".
    Lastly, if I have a chromecast enabled on my tv can the video stream be thrown up on the TV as part of the notification process.

I don't use that functionality but I believe it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hey just want to double check that my doorbell transformer is compatible if anyone would be so kind? I believe it is as it seems to say it's 8V - 24V and 8VA.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Hey just want to double check that my doorbell transformer is compatible if anyone would be so kind? I believe it is as it seems to say it's 8V - 24V and 8VA.

Yep, just depends whether it's configured for 8v, 12v or 24v.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nice one, and how do I figure that out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Hey all,

Regards,

Yes, when just using the Nest Hello, and as the other poster said, it is called "Quiet Time" in the Nest app. The "Do Not Disturb" is was referring to is for the other devices, Google Home, Mini and Hub.

R

Probably the most pragmatic way is to install the Nest and see if it works. If it doesn't it might only be getting 8v.

Once installed you can see in the online settings what voltage they Nest is getting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

That's the one I installed works great . You need to pull the cover off the box and see, there is 3 wire spaces for the different voltage just make sure it's in the last ie the 24v .
    The Frist to left wire stays put

It will be live and might not even go dead with all the breaker's down I'd recommend so one that knows what there doing

Probably the most pragmatic way is to install the Nest and see if it works. If it doesn't it might only be getting 8v.

Once installed you can see in the online settings what voltage they Nest is getting etc.

Mine is working fine but says 0 volts in the settings !

• Advertisement

Mine is working grand. But showing the voltage as 0. One thing I have noticed in unable to scrub through video like on review videos. When your in the recordings looking at reviews your able to scrub through the timeline like a timelapse, mine fibre up blurred like it's trying to buffer.

Maybe a WiFi issue the high video capture I have the bell set to

Mine is working fine but says 0 volts in the settings !

Have you tried the settings online via a browser?

Have you tried the settings online via a browser?

Well scratch that i guess based on the support article.

It won't affect me so much as i was able to use the readings early on to establish I had the right voltage going to the Nest so once set up it's unlikely to change much.

But of a strange decision to drop the info though and to say that a couple of voltage readings are overwhelming Google's database capabilities!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Connect across the terminals on the extreme left and the extreme right for 24VAC (on the output side of the transformer).

This Nest Hello will work at lower voltages, but not as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yjbgfjb

I'm planning to install nest doorbell at my front door. But after reading reviews about delayed notifications I'm in doubt now. Is anybody have that issue with delayed notification? How many seconds it takes?

Yjbgfjb wrote: »
    I'm planning to install nest doorbell at my front door. But after reading reviews about delayed notifications I'm in doubt now. Is anybody have that issue with delayed notification? How many seconds it takes?

Have the Nest over a year, 99% of notifications arrive to my phone within a second or two. Those that don't arrive quickly are usually down to my phone having a poor data connection.

Yjbgfjb wrote: »

I have the nest a week now and I can't believe how quick the notifications come in on my phone and Google nest hub.

I can assure you, you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hi all,
    Nest Hello arrived yesterday.
    I noticed a usb port on the back of the unit.
    Just wondering if I could connect that to laptop and "see" the camera view options available before I start drilling / mounting.

I have 2 locations in mind for the position but ideally would like to know what the view would be like before any holes are made.

Cheers,

Hi

My nest is sending me notifications when it legitimately spots a person e.g. postman or one of us leaving. However when I check the still picture it takes in the app the person isn't captured. It’s like it’s too slow taking the picture.

Also the picture has a pink hue today which I believe is something to do with night vision not turning off properly..

Could this be because my transformer voltage is too low?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement