Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

In the settings page in the app, you can go to notifications and switch off "Sounds", then go to the "Microphone" section and switch on Microphone and Audio recording.

This will do what you want to do.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Moreilly wrote: »
    i have about a 40ft cable run and the nest is showing 23.2 volts with it, working fine, easily swapped out the 8v one

Quick question. Transformer arrived today, would it do harm to install it now before the Nest?

Nevermind, probably best I get expert advice. Just discovered the fire alarms are wired up to the same unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Quick question. Transformer arrived today, would it do harm to install it now before the Nest?

Nevermind, probably best I get expert advice. Just discovered the fire alarms are wired up to the same unit.
    you will probably end up having to add the new transformer to your consumer unit rather than replace the existing one if your smoke alarms are wired into the existing one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Finally got around to installing yesterday. I have two chimes, so was worried I'd have issues as the doorbell only comes with one chime connector. I installed that on the first chime down stairs and all seems to work fine. The most annoying thing is trying to get the cover back on the chime with all the additional wires!
    I had to also upgrade the bell transformer from 8v to 24v , used this one from Amazon from an earlier post and works without issues and fits exactly on the DIN rail as the previous one did.

Very happy with it overall, messing around with timelapse clips is fun.
    Next to try some IFTTT integration

Just got mine installled. First impressions are good. It works well.

Am I right in saying no IFTT integration yet. Would be nice to have a light come on when the bell is pressed.

Also would be nice to be able to record your own responses. Like when it sees the junk mail chap, tell him "no thanks" :)

• Advertisement

Just got mine installled. First impressions are good. It works well.

Am I right in saying no IFTT integration yet. Would be nice to have a light come on when the bell is pressed.

Also would be nice to be able to record your own responses. Like when it sees the junk mail chap, tell him "no thanks" :)

For IFTTT, it does have motion and sound triggers that work, but no bell push.
    I created one that turns lights on when it detects motion, but its a bit too loose.
    I use zones and would prefer to restrict it to specific zones + person detection otherwise its going off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nest-hello-smart-wi-fi-video-doorbell/6172796.p?skuId=6172796

After currency conversion and (Californian) sales tax, this works out at 187.37euro.... and comes with a free Google Home Mini which is worth about 50euro.

I just bought it and a colleague is bringing it back for me from the states. I'll sell the Google Home Mini for 40Euro... meaning I'll get the Doorbell fur just under 150 quid. Compared to 280 here it's a no-brainer if you can organise it.

Crazy the identical Nest Doorbell is 280Euro on it's own here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

dingding wrote: »
    Normally the transformer is fitted in the fuse board and it just clips out and the replacement clips in.

Your one is a bit different in that the transformer is included in the bell housing.

Also be careful as the brown wire on the bottom left may have an exposed live conductor. Hard to be clear from the picture.

It might be best to get it done professionally.

Electrician said he will fit a new one in fusboard instead of the current one in the door chime. I was talking to him on the phone about this.

It that a viable option before I buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

corvus4906 wrote: »
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nest-hello-smart-wi-fi-video-doorbell/6172796.p?skuId=6172796

After currency conversion and (Californian) sales tax, this works out at 187.37euro.... and comes with a free Google Home Mini which is worth about 50euro.

I just bought it and a colleague is bringing it back for me from the states. I'll sell the Google Home Mini for 40Euro... meaning I'll get the Doorbell fur just under 150 quid. Compared to 280 here it's a no-brainer if you can organise it.

Crazy the identical Nest Doorbell is 280Euro on it's own here in Ireland.

This is a 4th of July special offer I'd imagine in the US. The Nest Thermostat is also on offer over there. I'm right in saying that the thermostat over there is missing something to work here, right?

I'm hoping we'll see some offers this side of the pond from Google in the run up to Amazon Prime Day too.

I'm looking to pick up a doorbell and a thermostat. If there's no sign of an offer on the doorbell, I'm going to order in the US. Won't get it until later in the year though if I do as nobody is coming over until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Is there any difference between the US version and the EU version?
    Not a bad deal stateside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

Nedved85 wrote: »

For the doorbell no.. I bought mine from the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

For the doorbell no.. I bought mine from the US
    Damn, should have held off so - I bought my doorbell from Nest UK, came in at around 260€.
    Could have got one picked up in the states this week if I had held off, oh well :)

Damn, should have held off so - I bought my doorbell from Nest UK, came in at around 260€.
    Could have got one picked up in the states this week if I had held off, oh well :)

I bought mine at launch in the US.. The price of being an early adopter :)

I hope Nest roll out a feature soon whereby you can mute person alerts if you've marked them as a familiar face. Bit annoying getting alerts every day when I get home... I know its me!!

slayerking wrote: »
    I hope Nest roll out a feature soon whereby you can mute person alerts if you've marked them as a familiar face. Bit annoying getting alerts every day when I get home... I know its me!!

I kinda like the feature.. I'm more likely to answer the door to a familiar face :)

I kinda like the feature.. I'm more likely to answer the door to a familiar face :)

I assume they ring the door bell, which is fine. I'm talking about person detection of people walking in specific zones... i.e. when I, or my OH or someone else who is a daily occupier walks in or out of the house frequently each day, getting notifications 'Bla has been detected at the door' is annoying esp when its me!

get the odd time the camera goes offline for a couple of minutes, anybody else?

usually a connectivity issue. Is the light still on ?

Mine went offline completely on the first night. Had to repair it with wifi which worked. also changed the wifi channel and no issues now.

Did you upgrade your transformer to 24v? Some people had issues with disconnect when they didn't upgrade an older 8 or 12v transformer

Hi folks,
    Anyone having issues with nest hello? Mines gone offline about an hour. Still working fine as doorbell just no video.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement

Hi folks,
    Anyone having issues with nest hello? Mines gone offline about an hour. Still working fine as doorbell just no video.
    Thanks,
    Mick
    Back working again. Rebooted WiFi and reconnected camera

Anyone else having issues accessing the doorbell.
    Can log on but says problem connecting to the nest service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

slayerking wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues accessing the doorbell.
    Can log on but says problem connecting to the nest service.

Mine is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Set up and working perfectly?
    yep, no problems with it at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paddymacwacker

Can anyone recommend an installed for Dublin, around D5 area. After we did a extension and re-wire an number of years ago the doorbell was completely forgot and used wireless ones which are complete rubbish and broke. So I'm thinking of getting hello, fuse box is inside the frontdoor and will need to get a transformer and chime installed also so need somebody to look after it all.

Also does anyone know if the nest temperature sensors will work with the nest thermostat in Ireland yet ?

Can anyone recommend an installed for Dublin, around D5 area. After we did a extension and re-wire an number of years ago the doorbell was completely forgot and used wireless ones which are complete rubbish and broke. So I'm thinking of getting hello, fuse box is inside the frontdoor and will need to get a transformer and chime installed also so need somebody to look after it all.

Also does anyone know if the nest temperature sensors will work with the nest thermostat in Ireland yet ?
    The sensors don't work yet and its looking like they never will. Nest UK have said there's no plan to release in Europe. Shame as I have 3 under my bed! Re hello installation. Any electrician should be able to install for you. Sounds like your fusebox is close to the door so no long runs of cable

https://www.the-ambient.com/news/uk-launch-date-2019-nest-secure-614

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paddymacwacker

I have been quoted the below, which I am thinking is a bit steep but open to correction. Wiring and install in another €120 on top.

Supply of compatible Bell Transformer @ €50.00
    Supply of compatible basic Bell Chime @ €40.00

I have been quoted the below, which I am thinking is a bit steep but open to correction. Wiring and install in another €120 on top.

Supply of compatible Bell Transformer @ €50.00
    Supply of compatible basic Bell Chime @ €40.00
    Well the transformer you can order yourself from links in thread. Others have linked to a chime from woodies. My electrician charged 60 to fit. I supplied parts. Had existing chime and older transformer so he didnt have to run any wires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Can someone please repost the links to a transformer that works? and a decent bell?

I need both. We've a lower rated transformer and our current bell is crap... Too loose it doesn't ring and too tight it just thuds rather than rings - practically impossible to get it right and when I do one of the kids will inevitably adjust it for me :(

Advertisement