Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I waited for the UK version to avoid all this ****, but now I'm reading a thread on reddit that says its the same - transformer needed, etc. Is that right? Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

I waited for the UK version to avoid all this ****, but now I'm reading a thread on reddit that says its the same - transformer needed, etc. Is that right? Surely not?

Looks that way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

Why did you think it be any different? US uses 120v we use 230v.. Why would the euro version work on lower voltage?

Why did you think it be any different? US uses 120v we use 230v.. Why would the euro version work on lower voltage?

Because it's the UK version, being sold to the UK/European market?

Because it's the UK version, being sold to the UK/European market?

It's a low voltage device.. Always going to need a transformer

• Advertisement

It's a low voltage device.. Always going to need a transformer

There is nothing on Nest website or the box informing the customer that they need to purchase another 3rd party device to make it work (and this is the same market they are selling it into), what the device is, where to get it, etc etc. That's a problem, as is being highlighted by the numerous threads on Reddit and this extensive one, and one which will only grow now for Nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ring included a transformer with the ring pro, is this not the same no?

Cyrus wrote: »
    ring included a transformer with the ring pro, is this not the same no?

No nest don't supply the transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They added the heat link for the Euro market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I see it is available on the argos.ie website, more expensive alright but might be of interest if somebody wanted a local outlet to purchase from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Before you can buy the Hello from the Nest website, you have to check a box that says you understand the compatibility requirements. Anyone with the knowledge to carry out a self-install would be able to understand those requirement. If you don't understand them, you should get professional help to carry out the install.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Installed it , no probs, changed the transformer to the 24v 10va one and all is working fine, quick question - i have familiar faces recorded and named in the nest app from the hello but the google homes are just saying 'somebody' is at the front door, any ideas?

Moreilly wrote: »
    Installed it , no probs, changed the transformer to the 24v 10va one and all is working fine, quick question - i have familiar faces recorded and named in the nest app from the hello but the google homes are just saying 'somebody' is at the front door, any ideas?

Give it some time.. Mine behaved a little odd first day.. Also what are your Google voice language set to..

Give it some time.. Mine behaved a little odd first day.. Also what are your Google voice language set to..

Have you set on announcements

Have you set on announcements

announcements turned on and tried both us and uk voice, push notification to my phone shows the correct name of the person, but google homes are still saying 'somebody' is at the front door, tried removing and re-linking nest, no change. is it working for ye?

announcements turned on and tried both us and uk voice, push notification to my phone shows the correct name of the person, but google homes are still saying 'somebody' is at the front door, tried removing and re-linking nest, no change. is it working for ye?

Actually checked last night and it isn't. Definitely was at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

ordered then it was cancelled a few hours later. Waiting on support to get back to me. Anyone source a transformer here or all buying online from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Any point in getting this if your front door faces onto the street?

Will there be too much noise for it to be any use?

ordered then it was cancelled a few hours later. Waiting on support to get back to me. Anyone source a transformer here or all buying online from UK?
    i got 3 orders cancelled, triggered some fraud thing on my card, eventually used a different card and it got dispatched

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/pss10_230_24v/safety-transformers/breve-tufvassons/?brutto=1&currency=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtPYBRD6ARIsAKs1XJ5-hK3yZLmKkDB2S_wABqfrBqm_VRG4tpeaBswfzuph-pVPlXofPFIaArfbEALw_wcB for the transformer, had it in about 3 or 3 days, very fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Any point in getting this if your front door faces onto the street?

Will there be too much noise for it to be any use?

You can tailor the alerts. You can pick an area of the picture that it monitors for alerts. You can also turn off sound / dog barking alerts etc....

You can also zoom and move the picture so that it is more suitable.

It should be OK.

Anybody got this to cast the to a chromecast? have tried and seems not to work for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I stream it to a chromecast using a google home mini.

Hey Google stream front door camera to "chromecast name"

You can specify the chromecast if you have more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Thanks for that. Ordered it. also turns out MasterCard blocked my card so nest cancelled the order.

Thanks for that. Ordered it. also turns out MasterCard blocked my card so nest cancelled the order.
    i have about a 40ft cable run and the nest is showing 23.2 volts with it, working fine, easily swapped out the 8v one

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

So is there much point of this if you don't get the nest aware. What do you not get if you don't sign up? I really don't want another bill

nigwerwig wrote: »
    So is there much point of this if you don't get the nest aware. What do you not get if you don't sign up? I really don't want another bill

For convenience might be worth it. Without nest Aware not being able to see any history is a big loss.. I dont think it does face recognition without a subscription either

For convenience might be worth it. Without nest Aware not being able to see any history is a big loss.. I dont think it does face recognition without a subscription either
    +1 really think it wouldn't be much use without nest aware, im going to go for the new €5 a month plan when the trial runs out, i think it covers 5 day history which is plenty

+1 really think it wouldn't be much use without nest aware, im going to go for the new €5 a month plan when the trial runs out, i think it covers 5 day history which is plenty

Yep 5 day is what I went for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Got mine installed last week and so far I'm really happy with it.

One question for those who have it already installed. I've turned off the sound notifications as I was getting hundreds a day, mostly at dawn when the birds started singing!

However, I now don't seem to be able to have a 2-way chat with someone at the door after a bell ring. I can talk to them but I can't hear their responses. Any way to enable the 2-way chat after a bell ring while also not having the microphone on constantly?

Advertisement