Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

OK Cool Thanks,
    Would you happen to know the doorbell model you have in your hall? Just in case there are any issues with the one we are putting in. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Nedved85 wrote: »
    OK Cool Thanks,
    Would you happen to know the doorbell model you have in your hall? Just in case there are any issues with the one we are putting in. Thanks

The chime? I think it's freidland model from woodies a good few years ago

OK Cool Thanks,

The chime? I think it's freidland model from woodies a good few years ago
    Yup,
    The chime in the hall.
    Cheers for that.

Yup,
    The chime in the hall.
    Cheers for that.

If you check the installation pics on my earlier post you can see the chime wired

Perfect, Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Nest doorbell and 24v bell transformer ordered.
    We've actually got two wired chime boxes, one on ground floor and another upstairs.
    I assume the box only comes with one chime connector, are the absolutely needed or what do they do does anyone know?

slayerking wrote: »
    Nest doorbell and 24v bell transformer ordered.
    We've actually got two wired chime boxes, one on ground floor and another upstairs.
    I assume the box only comes with one chime connector, are the absolutely needed or what do they do does anyone know?

Yes I think they are needed. Without the connector the chime will always ring. The hello needs constant power so the circuit needs to be complete. You maybe need to disconnect the second chime or ask nest if they can supply a second extension. Might be wrong on that..

Yes I think they are needed. Without the connector the chime will always ring. The hello needs constant power so the circuit needs to be complete. You maybe need to disconnect the second chime or ask nest if they can supply a second extension. Might be wrong on that..

Cheers, I'll have to get on to nest to see what they recommend. I could live without one of them in any case if necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Looks like I have a problem. That’s the fuse box and there’s no doorbell nor room to add one.

We have a powered bell so it must be directly connected to something else.

OU812 wrote: »
    Looks like I have a problem. That’s the fuse box and there’s no doorbell nor room to add one.

We have a powered bell so it must be directly connected to something else.

What's the black box underneath the fuse box? Our bell transformer was separate to the fuse box.

• Advertisement

What's the black box underneath the fuse box? Our bell transformer was separate to the fuse box.

Seems to be a very old main trip. There was one of the old style fuseboxes installed prior to changing it for that one a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Anybody here who ordered from the nest Ireland website just get their order cancelled?

Moreilly wrote: »
    Anybody here who ordered from the nest Ireland website just get their order cancelled?

Mine still processing and hasn't cancelled (yet). My understanding is that they are starting to ship them out from today

I ordered via Nest UK, posting to Parcel Motel. Order is in status "processing".

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I chatted with a support technician yesterday because my Nest Aware subscription wasn't associated with my Nest Hello. He said that the demand in Europe was so high that the back-end systems couldn't keep up, hence the issue with my subscription. I imagine that demand that high will have an impact on their ability to fulfill orders.

R

Just saw that Nest took the money for my Nest Hello anyways so they must be shipping soon.

Mine shipped last night via DHL from Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Mine shipped as well now, have a 24v 10va transformer ready to install as well - just checked the chime, bog standard mechanical chime but it is 8v , wonder will i get away with supplying 24v to it...., if not has anybody seen any 24v chimes for sale anywhere?....

Moreilly wrote: »
    Mine shipped as well now, have a 24v 10va transformer ready to install as well - just checked the chime, bog standard mechanical chime but it is 8v , wonder will i get away with supplying 24v to it...., if not has anybody seen any 24v chimes for sale anywhere?....

Mine isnt a 24 volt chime and works fine. I think it's 16v

Dis you guys use the existing old bell wire or do a rewire job?

• Advertisement

Dis you guys use the existing old bell wire or do a rewire job?

Existing wire

Think it'd be any better with a higher gauge wire?

Mine was heavy gauge already... Don't know gauges but stiff copper wire core

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Probably not, it is the current that causes the voltage drop and issues with cable. As this is using a higher voltage transformer, the current should be lower and therefore the cable size should be fine.

The cable only powers the bell, so it should not have any impact.

Probably more important your wifi signal.

I was changing my wifi connection and I noticed there has been an update to the app. You can reconfigure the wifi network, without the previous procedure of disconnecting the camera, scanning the bar-code and resetting up the camera.

This is so much handier.

Note:- This only works for the Nest Hello, the other cameras need to scan the barcode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I want to contact you to report a loose cover on a water meter in my estate but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to do this on your site without having to wait a week for you to get back to me. I don't have an account with you so I can't contact via an account and it's not outside my own home. Had a nasty fall caused by this yesterday and if it's left the next person could have serious injuries. Who do I contact to have this repaired?

We will certainly follow up on this for you, if you can PM the following details:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are very sorry to hear you experienced this.

My feedback though, it might be worth adding a section to your website that allows people to contact on issues like this as I live in a rented apartment, I have no account with IW myself so hard to contact you for this via your website. Not everyone has twitter or a boards account. And something like this should obviously be repaired with priority.

It's an easy fix to wire the chime in but it will be beside your fuse board once it's out in the hall your laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Most transformers for doorbell are from 8 to 24v dc. And if the op needs a chime you could get any electrician to wire on beside your fuse board that's an easy fix

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teabot

I had no luck finding a chime at a suitable voltage in the UK so used a relay to trigger a different type of chime.

Anyone know if amazon are planning to sell the hello or is their purchase of ring going to stop that? Have a business account with them & could pick it up sans VAT which would be nice.

They seem to have no problem selli gmorber ring product competitors made by nest

• Advertisement

teabot wrote: »
    I had no luck finding a chime at a suitable voltage in the UK so used a relay to trigger a different type of chime.

I used a lower voltage chime and it was fine. I set the bell to ring it for one second.

Advertisement