Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭micks_address

Robbie G wrote: »
    Just got it installed there. I’m impressed. I’ve got it working on a chromecast on a upstairs tv. But is there any way of getting in up on the tv without asking a home mini downstairs?

I have no mini’s upstairs at or near that tv.

You want it to automatically come on the Chromecast and tv to switch to that automatically when the doorbell is pressed?

The closest I can think of is the home hub. It automatically displays the doorbell stream when doorbell rings

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

You want it to automatically come on the Chromecast and tv to switch to that automatically when the doorbell is pressed?

The closest I can think of is the home hub. It automatically displays the doorbell stream when doorbell rings

Hi guys. I actually got it to display on the tv without using the mini via the chromecast.

I just use the Home app and say show me the front door and it works.

2011 wrote: »
    You could simply buy another GH mini. I would expect the price for the generation 1 mini to drop significantly as there are advertisements out already for the generation 2 minis. Not so long ago a gen 1 could be purchased for €35. A real bargain.

I got two of them a year ago at those prices. It was nice to get the Hello at £189 on the Google Store Uk. No problem with Parcel Motel both times. Don’t know how much Brexit will affect Uk purchases from next month tho.

I just bought a 5 day subscription package but I intend to get a proper cctv system in place in the near future.

Really happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi guys. I actually got it to display on the tv without using the mini via the chromecast.

I just use the Home app and say show me the front door and it works.

Can you elaborate on how that works for you particularly if your TV input is set to your Satellite/Cable box rather than your Chromecast?

ATM my Google Home announces there is someone at the door (and I receive an alert on my phone via the Nest app) but if I want to see who's at the door or want to interact with them I have to use my phone.

It'd be nice for the TV to "pop" with a view of the front door when the bell is rung but I can't see how to make that happen unless the TV input is on my NVIDIA Shield (which has built in Chromecast) rather than my Satellite box and 90% of the time it's on the Satellite box.

54and56 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on how that works for you particularly if your TV input is set to your Satellite/Cable box rather than your Chromecast?

ATM my Google Home announces there is someone at the door (and I receive an alert on my phone via the Nest app) but if I want to see who's at the door or want to interact with them I have to use my phone.

It'd be nice for the TV to "pop" with a view of the front door when the bell is rung but I can't see how to make that happen unless the TV input is on my NVIDIA Shield (which has built in Chromecast) rather than my Satellite box and 90% of the time it's on the Satellite box.

It’s just a very old LG tv with a chromecast plugged into the service port on it. I was surprised that chromecast worked on it two years ago and even more surprised the Nest Hello displays on it.

• Advertisement

It’s just a very old LG tv with a chromecast plugged into the service port on it. I was surprised that chromecast worked on it two years ago and even more surprised the Nest Hello displays on it.

So if you have your TV on watching BBC or whatever and you say "Show me the front door" to your Google Home your TV automatically switches input from whatever box is feeding your BBC signal to your Chromecast? You don't have to manually use your remote to change the input source?

54and56 wrote: »
    So if you have your TV on watching BBC or whatever and you say "Show me the front door" to your Google Home your TV automatically switches input from whatever box is feeding your BBC signal to your Chromecast? You don't have to manually use your remote to change the input source?

Correct but I’m doing that in the Home app via the microphone. It switches automatically to the hdmi port that the Chromecast is plugged into. It will work If I buy another mini upstairs to use for that tv and ask Netflix to put on season 2 or whatever show. That is telling the chromecast why to display.

YouTube it... works a treat

Edit:

Actually you need to manually select HDMI. The newer tv’s can automatically do it. My downstairs tv has the ability of turning on automatically once I turn on a Playstation 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Yes, With my TV, I can turn it on and off with a Hi Google command. I can also get it to stream a nest camera i.e. Hi Google, Stream Front Door Camera to Bedroom TV.

The functionality will of course depend on the HDMI signals supported by your TV, the newer the better. I think the TV I can turn and off is over 5 years old.

Anyone using it with a hub max? Worth it ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anyone using it with a hub max? Worth it ?

I’m doing it with the “normal” GH Hub. It works flawlessly, once someone presses the button on the doorbell the image & sound connect to it immediately. No doubt it will be the same for the max version of the hub.

• Advertisement

I’m doing it with the “normal” GH Hub. It works flawlessly, once someone presses the button on the doorbell the image & sound connect to it immediately. No doubt it will be the same for the max version of the hub.

Same... The max I think if you have space would be better...just a larger screen so you'd see person at door easier

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Same... The max I think if you have space would be better...just a larger screen so you'd see person at door easier

Definitely better, I would love one. They weren't available when I bought my hub.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Recently had a nest installed by an electrician as we were getting some other small jobs done on a new house.

It works perfectly except you can hardly hear the door bell itself when you are inside so if you are away from your phone or hub you do not see any alerts.

The existing door bell that was in place before the nest had a decent volume on it. Have tried to increase the volume in the nest app but can't find a way of doing it - does anyone know how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The existing door bell that was in place before the nest had a decent volume on it. Have tried to increase the volume in the nest app but can't find a way of doing it - does anyone know how to do this?

I havent noticed any issues with volume in my case. Do you know what rating your bell transformer is? The only thing I can think of that might be affecting volume could be that the Nest is taking all the juice leaving less for the chime.

You can change the chime duration via the app, but that doesnt change volume, only the amount of seconds between the ding and the dong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Im actually looking forward to this feature just for the fun of it, hope we get it over here in time.

Google adds seasonal Nest doorbell ringers in time for Halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

slayerking wrote: »
    Im actually looking forward to this feature just for the fun of it, hope we get it over here in time.

Google adds seasonal Nest doorbell ringers in time for Halloween

Sounds like we won't get Halloween, but we might get winter sounds.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9231819

R

I notice a new option in the Settings of the Nest App to "Migrate to a Google Account".

Anyone know what this is about and what the benefits of doing so, if any, are?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

54and56 wrote:

Well two things

Show me the front door only works if you've Google home set up with your rooms set up with the chrome cast in that room and the speaker in that same room. Then it assumes you want it on the screen in the room you are in as that speaker picked it up

Or you have a TV with chromecast and assistant built in

Otherwise you have to name the screen

So

Ok Google show the "front door" on "TV1"

Is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi guys

Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the thread already but I’m having trouble searching it.

I’m interested in getting the Nedt Hello but have no idea if it will fit in with our existing chime and transformer.

Can you tell from these pics what I’d need to do?

Pics attached of chime, transformer and bell.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi guys

Sorry if this is covered somewhere in the thread already but I’m having trouble searching it.

I’m interested in getting the Nedt Hello but have no idea if it will fit in with our existing chime and transformer.

Thanks!

The transformer should work. 12v for the transformer is sufficient, you may need to rewire the transformer to operate at 12v. I cant make out the writing on the chime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Hi guys

Thanks!

I had to replace the transformer with a 24v one to get the Nest Hello to work reliably and maintain a connection. Here's what I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J2NWYC4/ref=dp_cerb_1

The chime looks OK. The space where the bell looks a bit tight. The Nest Hello is about twice as wide as the old doorbell button. You should also check how much play you have in the wire behind the bell. I had very little and it was a pain to fit, especially as I was using the wedge to point it at an angle.

R

The transformer should work. 12v for the transformer is sufficient, you may need to rewire the transformer to operate at 12v. I cant make out the writing on the chime.

Thanks a mil.

I think chime says:
    8-16V
    6V ——
    Max 15W
    Friedland
    TYPE 4
    NOM-ANCE

If I needed a higher voltage transformer is it as simple as taking that one out and popping a new one in?

RunDMC wrote: »
    I had to replace the transformer with a 24v one to get the Nest Hello to work reliably and maintain a connection. Here's what I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J2NWYC4/ref=dp_cerb_1

The chime looks OK. The space where the bell looks a bit tight. The Nest Hello is about twice as wide as the old doorbell button. You should also check how much play you have in the wire behind the bell. I had very little and it was a pain to fit, especially as I was using the wedge to point it at an angle.

R

Thanks!

Yeah, I’ve no idea what’s behind the bell as yet. I was going to use the wedge too as the bell is on the wall perpendicular to the front door

As above although a 12V transformer will work a 24V transformer is best for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

As above although a 12V transformer will work a 24V transformer is best for reliability.

The transformer is cheap so might as well replace it if you need to rewire it.

Is the version that Littlewoods are selling an older model? Seems a lot cheaper than everywhere else at €210...

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/nest-hello-video-doorbellnbsp/1600273023.prd?itemAdded=true&_requestid=11301

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Is the version that Littlewoods are selling an older model? Seems a lot cheaper than everywhere else at €210...

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/nest-hello-video-doorbellnbsp/1600273023.prd?itemAdded=true&_requestid=11301

There is only one model at the moment so not a bad price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Very interested in getting one of these doorbells. When the button is pressed on the outside door ringer does the image come up on the phone straight away and can this be setup on multiple phones for all family members?

Very interested in getting one of these doorbells. When the button is pressed on the outside door ringer does the image come up on the phone straight away and can this be setup on multiple phones for all family members?

it comes up on the nest app - whoever has the app installed and you have added them as family members they will get the notification.. its no instant.. probably takes less than a second to appear..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I've the following system installed which i do like but i love the idea of the video cam on the nest ....

trAgAm3.jpg
    NeJJaVD.jpg
    Xhh79Ge.jpg

Advertisement