Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else enjoy being single?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Almost 30,Single and living on the bread line. So the thought of bankrupting myself to go on a date doesn't appeal.

Maybe down the line when things are financially better I might try one of the dating apps.

Loads of ways to go on a date without spending money,
    Best first date is to meet for a coffee won't cost ye the world plus if it isn't what you hoped for ye can leave fairly sharpish ,

Fro mthere you oculd go for a walk or whatever,

As a great man once said " if you want to get into the box you have to think outside the box "

Ps iv no idea who said that or if there is a gender fluid version :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

people with no personality tend to talk about their jobs a lot. they also take up "interesting" hobbies and talk about how "mad" they are. watch out for a lot of talk about all the travelling theyve done, red alert.

100 % you have had this crap too

Or their many pics of them on machu pichu lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,392 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Loads of ways to go on a date without spending money,
    Best first date is to meet for a coffee won't cost ye the world plus if it isn't what you hoped for ye can leave fairly sharpish

I can totally see where they're coming from, tbh. I was unemployed for a period in 2017 and I had less than zero interest in dating because of it. I simply didn't feel like I was the best version of myself at the time and really didn't want to get into a dating scenario where all we could ever do was, essentially, free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

100 % you have had this crap too

Or their many pics of them on machu pichu lol

Right so no talking about what they do for a living, any places they might have been to or hobbies. So what exactly are they supposed to talk about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Right so no talking about what they do for a living, any places they might have been to or hobbies. So what exactly are they supposed to talk about?!

Comes across as jealousy to me tbh. I've never found someone who has travelled all over the world boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Comes across as jealousy to me tbh. I've never found someone who has travelled all over the world boring.

I know one lad who went on his travels years ago and haven’t heard the end of it since. Give him any excuse and he’ll bang on and on about this place or that.

He even had a blog going at the time. Made for some boring reading.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I know one lad who went on his travels years ago and haven’t heard the end of it since. Give him any excuse and he’ll bang on and on about this place or that.

But you still read it though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Hardly jealousy when ive been to usa , australia , basecamp everest , europe , family holiday home in malaga , but i don’t bore people with these facts

Hardly jealousy when ive been to usa , australia , basecamp everest , europe , family holiday home in malaga , but i don’t bore people with these facts

You just bored me. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Bit more detail needed. Was he on a year working holiday visa staying on Bondi beach drinking in a local Irish bar with the rest of his pals from Navan or did he spend years in a Papua New Guinea rainforest studying some rare beetle with only a baboon to keep him company which he ended up making love to every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Bit more detail needed. Was he on a year working holiday visa staying on Bondi beach drinking in a local Irish bar with the rest of his pals from Navan or did he spend years in a Papua New Guinea rainforest studying some rare beetle with only a baboon to keep him company which he ended up making love to every so often.

This beats your last odd post hands down. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Maybe the way you talk about it is boring. Don't see how someone talking about exciting stuff they did and were passionate about could be boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Maybe the way you talk about it is boring. Don't see how someone talking about exciting stuff they did and were passionate about could be boring.

Have to agree here. I've a friend in work who has done an awful lot of travelling before she moved to Ireland. Even hearing her talk about her recent weekend in Kilkenny is fascinating to me because she's a wonderful story teller and gets really into the history of places she visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It's definitely possible to be fairly happy on your own, certainly for a man. But I think it's hard if you don't have a few good friends who are single also. Of course its still possible, but you're quite likely to be lonely.
    I don't think there's a thing in the world wrong with being single, but it's a bit depressing if people close themselves off from the possibility of having a relationship.

Not if that is what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There’s nothing wrong with someone talking about where they have travelled, it’s when they judge others and look down on someone for not being as travelled as them. Some people don’t have any interest in going off back packing doesn’t make them any less interesting than the person that has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I could probably get myself in a solid state of content being single, but every time I was happy beyond everything I was also coupled one way or another.
    Stumbled upon this article about a happiness recession (18-34 band) in America. Copying a paragraph from it here.

This analysis revealed that changes in sexual frequency can account for about one-third of the decline in happiness since 2012 and almost 100 percent of the decline in happiness since 2014. If Americans still had sex like they did in 2008, or even 2012, we might be a much happier country. Declines in marriage and religiosity have also played some role, but the effects are much smaller—with each factor only accounting for about a tenth of the decline in happiness. And, but for the rise in regular friend contact over the past few years, young men and women would be even less happy.
    In other words, Americans are offsetting some of the lost community and companionship of spouses and churches with closer ties to friends. But those friendships don’t give young Americans the sex life that made previous generations happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

fin12 wrote: »
    There’s nothing wrong with someone talking about where they have travelled, it’s when they judge others and look down on someone for not being as travelled as them. Some people don’t have any interest in going off back packing doesn’t make them any less interesting than the person that has.

This. If we all did the same things and only gravitated to people with the same life experiences it'd defeat the purpose of travelling or talking to new people ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I have been in 2 very ltr's and was made single all of a sudden almost 6 months ago. It was not my choice and I was devastated. I have not been single since i was 19. And now these past 2 months I feel great. People are commenting on how happy I look. I feel positive about my life. I am enjoying the freedom of doing things at the drop of a hat for the first time. I have zero interest in a relationship. I am happy to look out for me for once.

Of course I am in a different place than a lot of people here. I have a family and I definitely would not change that.

Daisy78 wrote: »

People who talk about interesting jobs and interesting hobbies and the interesting places they have been to are only boring in the alternative universe of AH.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Candie wrote: »
    People who talk about interesting jobs and interesting hobbies and the interesting places they have been to are only boring in the alternative universe of AH.

A bit sad, isn't it?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

A bit sad, isn't it?

Very. Smacks of insecurity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

relationships are overrated and marriage is a glorified business arrangement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

<<< likes a dark horse....

Jus' sayin'...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

relationships are overrated and marriage is a glorified business arrangement

I agree, I think money has got a lot to do with marriages and even why some people are still stuck together , people can’t even afford to break up now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Candie wrote: »

Eh, it all depends... If you go off on an monologue about any of these without letting anyone else contribute to the conversation or constantly turn the talk back to your interesting job, hobby or travel, then it can get tedious. Conversation should be a two way street.

Plus, what you might find interesting, others might find deathly dull so you have to be cognisant of the person you're talking to - for instance one of my hobbies would be to kick back and spend some time playing the PS4 and I find the games for the most part really interesting. I would almost never bring it up though because I know most people would find it completely boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Nobody wants to be single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Try to bear in mind that your view is not the same as everyone else's.

Nobody wants to be single *forever* (and not literally nobody because a tiny number do - more than likely due to an unusual situation like being asexual) but many perfectly well adjusted and attractive people need time alone on occasion, e.g. after a difficult break-up.

And people who cannot fathom life being single even for a temporary period, seem extremely needy.

Read the thread. Allow your mind to be open to other opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Nonsense, I know a number of people who have actively avoided relationships by choice in their lives and are now elderly and have no regrets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

....... wrote: »
    Nonsense, I know a number of people who have actively avoided relationships by choice in their lives and are now elderly and have no regrets.

And right arms that could crush steel.

Advertisement