Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else enjoy being single?

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I bet all the women ever say is hello as well:pac:

Youd be surprised how many don't and after s while, you won't bother with the ones who make no effort with their intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

does bumble tend to attract women who may not be so successful on pof and tinder? because of their looks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

does bumble tend to attract women who may not be so successful on pof and tinder? because of their looks

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm about to be single after 14 years of marriage and three kids under 10...f***it, I'm going to try to have fun even though dating apps weren't around when I was dating and I've generally no idea how to approach this.
    Any particular dating app suited to single parents?

smokingman wrote: »
    I'm about to be single after 14 years of marriage and three kids under 10...f***it, I'm going to try to have fun even though dating apps weren't around when I was dating and I've generally no idea how to approach this.
    Any particular dating app suited to single parents?

A friend of mine was in the same position and found great "empathy" at the school gates, got lots of phone numbers and offers of help lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

i prefer meeting women in real life to be honest. never really liked internet dating.

The problem is almost all the single women in real life are also already doing online dating so it's a real disadvantage if your not online

Greyfox wrote: »
    The problem is almost all the single women in real life are also already doing online dating so it's a real disadvantage if your not online

im not sure about that, i have seen a lot of women who are on pof for years, it mustn't be that good if they are still on it after a few years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This is it wrote:
    Lady's message first on Bumble, you can't message them until they message you.

That's a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's a bit odd.

No it isn't. It's the whole premise of the platform.

The idea was that it would stop both the experiences of women who get loads of 1 liner copy/paste messages and the idea that men have to do all the groundwork.

I think though that it has evolved in to something where women think they have to be very in to someone to send a message and maybe a lot of men think if they get a message that she must be very keen.

A friend of mine was in the same position and found great "empathy" at the school gates, got lots of phone numbers and offers of help lol.

I know one or two ladies in the same boat as me now at the school gates. Don't know if I'd have the courage yet to approach them tbh. Going to head into this slowly though. Not really looking for a quick shag, more of a friend going through the same thing kinda thing. In saying that, I wouldn't say no if the opportunity presented itself though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No it isn't. It's the whole premise of the platform.

Strange platform in that case.

Imagine going to a social gathering where you could only speak to someone after they spoke to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Imagine going to a social gathering where you could only speak to someone after they spoke to you.

I suspect that if you were getting messages from several different people containing pictures of richard or cheesy one-liners or simply, 'DTF??', you might see how there could be a desire for such a function.

As I said, I'm not sure it is working as intended.

I kinda like that idea tbh. At least you wouldn't have as many time wasters I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yep, all the while expecting the guy to write a witty and original essay. I might try that Taken monologue though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Bit young though, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What do people think about the online dating sites that u have to pay? I’m on one at that moment that u have to pay for otherwise u can’t read any messages u receive. It doesn’t seem much different to the unpaid ones but my friends were saying that if people are paying ur prob more likely to find someone looking for a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

fin12 wrote: »
    What do people think about the online dating sites that u have to pay? I’m on one at that moment that u have to pay for otherwise u can’t read any messages u receive. It doesn’t seem much different to the unpaid ones but my friends were saying that if people are paying ur prob more likely to find someone looking for a relationship.

I suppose it weeds out the people who are only doing it out of boredom.

I find a lot of people online don't actually want to meet up with anyone, in fact some will say they're just looking for "texting fun". Ah fcuk off, I've better people to be texting. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Someone sent me this on an tinder earlier on, I thought it was pretty funny.

‘I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a hook up , I can tell you thats not what I’m here for.
    But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a long career. Skills that make me a delight for a gorgeous woman like you.
    If you hate my ice breaker, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do, then I’d love to buy you a drink sometime!’

I know it’s a bit cringe and he probably sends it to every woman he matches with but it was a good ice breaker I think :pac:

It's very cringy but how could it not work!!! Almost guaranteed to get a response - now there's a man who gets results!

When is your first date?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Someone sent me this on an tinder earlier on, I thought it was pretty funny.

‘I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a hook up , I can tell you thats not what I’m here for.
    But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a long career. Skills that make me a delight for a gorgeous woman like you.
    If you hate my ice breaker, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do, then I’d love to buy you a drink sometime!’

I know it’s a bit cringe and he probably sends it to every woman he matches with but it was a good ice breaker I think :pac:

That's 'Aongus Von Bismark' talk, that's what that is.

Ask him hows the Frankfurt stock exchange going and if he's got any vienetta

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

“Anyone else enjoy being single” thread title turns into a discussion on how good or useless online dating is...some of those that are most vocal about how good it is to be single throwing their tuppence worth in too :):):)

• Advertisement

TomasMacR wrote: »
    “Anyone else enjoy being single” thread title turns into a discussion on how good or useless online dating is...some of those that are most vocal about how good it is to be single throwing their tuppence worth in too :):):)

you can date but still remain single by choice. it isn't just a relationship people on dating sites are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Online dating is for the majority pen pal city.

Eh, I used to just say hi... worked fine for the most part for me. If they didnt reply so what flock em. I'm expected to do tricks as a hello?? Ahh stop...

I'm just a basic bloke.

If its really nice girl id ask if she knew anything about ouboard boat engines or something. Always got a response to find out what was wrong, got me a few dates.��

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have enjoyed being single AND being in a relationship. Both have their merits and drawbacks.

Currently I’m in a relationship which is long term and open. I enjoy the companionship of another, but I do agree it’s bad to be in a relationship just for the sake of it because one can’t bear the thought of being alone. Toxic relationships are a soul-destroying experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

This is it wrote: »
    Lady's message first on Bumble, you can't message them until they message you.

Maybe they just smile and expect you to talk back :)

Advertisement