Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was born in 1980, I seemed to be watching Bewitched and I dream of Genie all the time, they were always on TV during the day, the mornings mostly I think, when I was a kid. So all this is oh so familiar to me in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Thought it was okay, I'm just saying the bar is VERY low for what passes as a sitcom these days.

I mean it's cute but that's all I could call it. I think both episodes had like 5-6 minutes of credits as well within the runtime so if next week is the same we're veering into big time self indulgence. What they did here is a gimmick which to me isn't half as clever as they think it is.

Olsen and Bettany are having a ball it seems that's the main reason I would give these two episodes a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dodge wrote: »
    Isn’t that a bit obvious though? As in it’s a specific Marvel story and not just a generic TV show.

It’s not a ‘link’, it’s a fully fledged part of marvel

It’s targeted at people who’d pay for Disney plus to see it.
    Just because it's Marvel doesn't mean it should sacrifice quality simply because of a thriving fan-base.. if you sacrifice quality, you're basically DC.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that there needs to be more to this than the setup and what we've seen so far - which is retro kitsch 60's sitcom filler.

I'll keep watching but I'm hoping it doesn't just continue with this tired schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I hadn't seen the trailers so although I knew it was going to be different I wasn't sure what to expect. I found it full of lame jokes and not much seemed to happen. Legion I think did weird a bit better.
    It reminded me of the same plot in one of the fallout games where you are trapped in a 1950s VR simulation where some of the residents of the vault are being killed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, if this was the exact same show without the Marvel link, I'd have turned off and wouldn't be coming back.

Thought the first episode was very meh. Second was just meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I mean it's cute but that's all I could call it. I think both episodes had like 5-6 minutes of credits as well within the runtime so if next week is the same we're veering into big time self indulgence. What they did here is a gimmick which to me isn't half as clever as they think it is.

Olsen and Bettany are having a ball it seems that's the main reason I would give these two episodes a pass.

How is that self indulgent?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The credit scene is indicative of theres more to this than we are seeing at this time. The change in colour scheme is a ploy too I'm going to rewatch for symbols or logos in the credits as I think the credits are reality but the show is not

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well hopefully Ep 3 gets things started. Show still has potential and will likely pay off eventually but really feel those first two didn't tap into anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'll probably like it after seeing the overall picture but so far that was a bit crap and random

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

I enjoyed it, defo reminded me of watching bewitched on channel 4 growing up, I think they nailed the tone of it.

But as a marvel story, they should have released it all at once-I think being able to see the mystery unravel in a binge would be more rewarding than waiting every week for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The season is split into 2 parts. The first part is all sitcom based and the 2nd part is reality based apparently when it all kicks off it properly kicks off.

I think the series will benefit from a second viewing once all episodes are consumed.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    How is that self indulgent?

Just saying....first episode was like 31 mins long, within that is 5/6 minutes of credits. Is it really necessary for something that is essentially made for TV? We've been living with "prestige" TV for the last 20 years and I've never seen anything like it before. Disney must fancy themselves as the one's bringing Prestige TV to the next level.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just saying....first episode was like 31 mins long, within that is 5/6 minutes of credits. Is it really necessary for something that is essentially made for TV? We've been living with "prestige" TV for the last 20 years and I've never seen anything like it before. Disney must fancy themselves as the one's bringing Prestige TV to the next level.

The last 3 episodes are set to be 1 hour each. This is essentially padding. I’m going to judge it as a whole once the entire season has aired.

Loughc wrote: »
    The last 3 episodes are set to be 1 hour each. This is essentially padding. I’m going to judge it as a whole once the entire season has aired.

Grand and so will I probably, but that begs the question of if they've used the platform effectively. For something like this I do think Netflix's approach is better, but I get Netflix have the content muscle to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I just think it's a strange complaint when you don't have to watch them. I was watching with someone who wanted to skip them so I'm actually looking forward to watching them again and enjoying the music. Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Since Iron Man and the start of Marvel Cinematic Universe the credit scenes have held secrets it's worth watching everything to spot the little intricacies hiding I have many theories on what or where they could be going with this show as the potential for character development is endless given Wanda's connections to the marvel comics universe but I hope Disney keeps things simple rather than running away with plots and introductions l am hoping this show goes in a fun and engaging direction.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm liking the weird, mysterious shít that is happening but everything outside of that is rubbish. Unfortunately, the weird shít only makes up about 5% of the run time so it is not great watching. Hopefully, we start getting more of it and the show improves. I'll probably watch the whole thing regardless to see what it is all about but I really hope it starts picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only watched episode 1 so far.

Well that was different.....for marvel at least, but I remember watching Bewitched and I Love Lucy...
    I have to say I love Kathryn Hahn in everything (she is especially good in Mrs Fletcher), she can definitely do comedy she steals every scene in parks and rec.
    Extremely intrigued to see where it goes, pretty audacious to say the least!

Yeah I forgot to mention Kathryn Hahn along with Olsen and Bettany. There's something so freakishly weird about her behaviour, and probably the main reason I kept watching.

Found her response to the
    devil being in the detail line
    quite interesting.

Yeah I forgot to mention Kathryn Hahn along with Olsen and Bettany. There's something so freakishly weird about her behaviour, and probably the main reason I kept watching.

Found her response to the
    devil being in the detail line
    quite interesting.

Yeah I’ve no doubt she’s actually
    Mephisto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Disney+ includes the credits for all the dubs in other languages. That adds on a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Episode 2.
    That animated sequence at the start was fantastic. Lots of brilliant little details, song was decent too lol. As were the little sections with Vision and the gum

The little off kilter parts are really interesting and escalating nicely.
    Even the small ones, like the change in tone of Olsen's voice or the way she looks at vision or off into the distance in an odd way, the part with Dotie, cutting her hand and the radio blaring ...excellent.
    The ads are great as well.

I have read quite a lot of marvel comics over the years and the beekeeper thing...is definitely a a clear reference to "something" not sure I should say?....
    Olsen and Bettany are excellent but Hahn is still the real standout for me.

I would guess pleasantville is almost as big an influence as bewitched or similar.

Yeah I am hooked.
    I can see why they released two episodes, second one definitely stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really enjoyed both episodes, looking forward to see where it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I thought it was excellent, different, and the right way to approach a mystery box. Those who are saying "its not funny", is it meant to be? It's a satire, someone (foreign or sokokovian) has an idea of how to just be happy in America and this warped reality is it. The jokes are meant to be tiresome, I presume that's why there are only 2eps the same style.

I personally am hooked, and have no idea of what is to come as I never read the comics. My only irritation is that it's so light that you really need a big season dump like Cobra Kai. It's not like game of thrones where each ep drop was like a mini movie you got ready for. This seems designed to be binged.. And they're not. But still, it justifies my drunken purchase of Disney for the year. Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Anya!

Disney plus came out and admitted they planned it weekly to keep monthly subscribers engaged and subscribed for longer. Even if you wait til March to binge watch the whole season Loki is releasing then.

You watch one episode of that or wait until May to binge that.

It’s a clever model and I don’t blame them for doing it. Parts of me wishes I waited to binge it but the genie is out of the bottle now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Loughc wrote: »

It’s a clever model and I don’t blame them for doing it. Parts of me wishes I waited to binge it but the genie is out of the bottle now.

To be honest, during lock down, it's kinda nice having something to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I was getting Pleasantville/Truman Show vibes as well as the old sitcoms.

9 episodes altogether.

Not sure why anyone cares how long the credits are considering the episodes are whatever length is needed. Be different if it was a standard network show which is about 43 minutes including credits. But since 1 episode could be 25 minutes and the next 40 minutes the credits aren't affecting the time needed.

Only watched the first trailer so happy going in pretty blind. Of course sites are putting spoilers for things that haven't been revealed yet in their headlines. I assume they're revealed in trailers or press releases.

Was wondering why Dottie looked familiar. Looked her up and surprised I didn't recognise Anya, aka Emma Caulfield.

But as for the episodes, I liked them. They're the right length as seems people would get fed up if the sitcom part would be dragged out for too long. liked how Vision was questioning what the company does.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    To be honest, during lock down, it's kinda nice having something to look forward to!

This is true! I’m looking forward to the longer episodes already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought it was excellent, different, and the right way to approach a mystery box. Those who are saying "its not funny", is it meant to be? It's a satire, someone (foreign or sokokovian) has an idea of how to just be happy in America and this warped reality is it. The jokes are meant to be tiresome, I presume that's why there are only 2eps the same style.

All that is probably true but does it matter? The style, the acting, the mannerisms, the tired "jokes" might all be intentional but it still makes for terrible TV. The 50's/60's comedy show parts are frankly rubbish and if you stripped out all the other stuff it would be terrible show. I'm hoping they start showing us more of what is actually going on soon.
    I personally am hooked, and have no idea of what is to come as I never read the comics. My only irritation is that it's so light that you really need a big season dump like Cobra Kai. It's not like game of thrones where each ep drop was like a mini movie you got ready for. This seems designed to be binged.. And they're not. But still, it justifies my drunken purchase of Disney for the year. Good job.

I agree, this would be great for a binge watch. Although it is cool seeing all the little things people online are pointing out that you miss. A binge would make that aspect not as good but still think binge watching would be better overall.

Advertisement