Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Elizabeth Olsen looking amazing, appears on Jimmy Kimmel doing some promiotion... they look at a new clip and discuss some fan theoriers...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reviewers have gotten to see the first 3 episodes and well none spoiler reviews say it's weird as hell in a very good way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A clip released; certainly, if you're not even passingly familiar with old US sitcoms of the 50s a viewer might be incredibly confused :D

Starts with a double episode tomorrow.

Just be careful on social media as the embargo on spoiler reviews is lifted at 5pm our time.

That was so fun.

50's sitcom mixed with 60's The Prisoner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

That was a lot of fun, and fantastic to see the marvel opening crawl on new content after what feels like forever.

The show is as long as it could be per episode without getting lost in itself (30 mins) but I do wonder about releasing one episode per week going forward.

There's some very nice nods to the comic lore for the fans, the story seems (for now) to be pretty much what I expected.
    It might be one to wait until the series has aired (streamed?) and then binge the lot. A lot of reviewers online reckon it kicks up a gear in episode 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Really enjoyed this, the almost pitch perfect 50's sitcom
    where even when her husband is choking, Mrs Hart keeps playing her role and repeating the same line because this type of thing should never happens in such shows, and how he gets up and they walk out smiling after a great evening offering Vision a promotion....since thats how these "boss comes to dinner" episodes always play out

After the final minute of Ep2 though
    its looking more and more like we are in House of M territory, as Wanda had control to change the world so her idyllic life wouldn't be spoiled

Does make me wonder
    will we see Quicksilver back again? Maybe more when they have had the kids in the 80's/90s's periods and "Cool Uncle Pietro comes to town for an episode!"

As for some more in universe nods
    -the Stark toaster, could this be a reference to whats powering this "world" as we did see someone watching it, maybe its the augmented 3d world tech Stark used at the start of Civil War?

-the Struker watch, who ran the facility where Wanda/Pietro were given their powers, and the Hydra logo on it makes me think they have a hand in causing all this

-the helicopter and the "beekeeper", both have the SWORD logo on them, which was a division of SHIELD....I'm thinking it was a helicopter that tried to "breach" wherever this is and crashed, and the beekeeper could be someone in a hazmat suit but twisted to fit the visual reality everyone is trapped in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

My kids love Marvel stuff, but is there enough in this to keep them entertained or is it one for when they're in bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hurrache wrote: »
    My kids love Marvel stuff, but is there enough in this to keep them entertained or is it one for when they're in bed?

I watched the first episode and based on that, it's not one that will keep kids interested.

Weird start and wasn't expecting THAT much sitcom, does the second episode follow suit? I'm all for taking chances but at the end of the day we're here for one thing when it comes to the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

I watched the first episode and based on that, it's not one that will keep kids interested.

Weird start and wasn't expecting THAT much sitcom, does the second episode follow suit? I'm all for taking chances but at the end of the day we're here for one thing when it comes to the MCU.

The second episode is similar, yeah.

I'd gladly take a different sitcom decade every week but reality will have to set in eventually.

Surprised they actually used a live audience, nice to know they wanted jokes that actually land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Same. I was disappointed. I get that there'll be a big reveal episode somewhere down the line, but there just wasn't enough in there to keep me interested in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I see in the credits that it was produced with the support of incentives for the Irish film industry provided by the government of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Skerries wrote: »
    I see in the credits that it was produced with the support of incentives for the Irish film industry provided by the government of Ireland

why? it was filmed in the US, was there some post production in Ireland?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Second episode better.

Apparently some reviewer on Irish radio said this is good enough to stand on its own as a sitcom alone. Whoever he or she is they're having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Second episode better.

Apparently some reviewer on Irish radio said this is good enough to stand on its own as a sitcom alone. Whoever he or she is they're having a laugh.

It could stand alone as a sitcom in the era its aping, the 50/60's. The situations and humour were spot on from what I can remember of Bewitched , and I Dream of Jeanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's a bit like 1950s Faulty Towers so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Second episode better.

To be fair, as a parody it’s pretty good and the set up is excellent.

Enough little tidbits to keep the story/reveal going too

I’m on board

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's a bit like 1950s Faulty Towers so far
    That's being very unkind to Faulty Towers.. their episodes were / are still funnier than whoever wrote this.

It's bizarre.. it's going for an 'I Love Lucy' vibe in terms of style, but I can't place where the humour fits. It's obviously mainly jabs at sexism and how everything in the 50's was very politically incorrect. But it's not interesting enough or imminently watchable to warrant anything close to the positive reviews it's getting. I can only think the positive reviews are due to a) Marvel and b) it's VERY different to anything they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Second episode better.

God yeah, couldn't compete with classics like Mrs Brown or 2 Broke Girls or even Big Bang Theory.................

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just how memorable is "I Love Lucy" and that ilk nowadays anyway? Especially in America which would be the primary market. Think I said it already but I really do question how confused the average millennial would be watching this, if they weren't in some ways familiar with prehistoric TV from 70 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    As for some more in universe nods
    -the Stark toaster, could this be a reference to whats powering this "world" as we did see someone watching it, maybe its the augmented 3d world tech Stark used at the start of Civil War?

-the Struker watch, who ran the facility where Wanda/Pietro were given their powers, and the Hydra logo on it makes me think they have a hand in causing all this

-the helicopter and the "beekeeper", both have the SWORD logo on them, which was a division of SHIELD....I'm thinking it was a helicopter that tried to "breach" wherever this is and crashed, and the beekeeper could be someone in a hazmat suit but twisted to fit the visual reality everyone is trapped in
    Those ads are really what are intriguing me. Seems to be references to Wanda's history; in Sokovia where Stark weapons were used to bomb her town (she talked about her and Pietro being trapped in a building with a stark bomb not knowing if it would explode). Then they were taken by Strucker... Maybe the next ad will be a reference to Ultron

I really loved both episodes though, both for the comedy and performances and just the weirdness and uniqueness of it all, but also because of the intrigue in how it ties in with the MCU and what its leading to.

God yeah, couldn't compete with classics like Mrs Brown or 2 Broke Girls or even Big Bang Theory.................

I don't watch much sitcom.

Did you genuinely laugh at the antics in the first 2 episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I don't watch much sitcom.

Did you genuinely laugh at the antics in the first 2 episodes?

Thought it was okay, I'm just saying the bar is VERY low for what passes as a sitcom these days.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Captain Marvel's little friend all grown up as well.

How many of the other villagers are Superheros.

That's why it reminds me of The Prisoner the elaborate scheme of a Village trying find out what they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Let's face it..

.. if this didn't have the Marvel link, not a chance would this have been commissioned.

Who possibly could it be marketed at beside "Marvel head's" (and I include myself in that)?

Reminds me of when Mr Robot did that 20 minutes sitcom set in the 80's.. that was way more entertaining and funny than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Basq wrote: »
    Let's face it..

.. if this didn't have the Marvel link, not a chance would this have been commissioned.

Isn’t that a bit obvious though? As in it’s a specific Marvel story and not just a generic TV show.

It’s not a ‘link’, it’s a fully fledged part of marvel

It’s targeted at people who’d pay for Disney plus to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'll watch it anyway because Ms Olsen is just ridiculously beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That break of character scene at the dinner table very intriguing definitely more to that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kitty Forman was a welcome surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just how memorable is "I Love Lucy" and that ilk nowadays anyway? Especially in America which would be the primary market. Think I said it already but I really do question how confused the average millennial would be watching this, if they weren't in some ways familiar with prehistoric TV from 70 years ago!

Confused about what though? I was born in 1990 and I've never seen I Love Lucy, I don't think you have seen what's being parodied or even its ilk to be in on the joke. Sitcoms haven't really evolved much since the 50s, the boss coming for dinner, the big event where someone shows up drunk, the funny/annoying neighbour, these are fairly classic tropes.

Advertisement