Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options
13468942

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭Penn


    kerplun k wrote: »
    Remind me again what they did in Wakanda with Vision. I know they tried to separate the Mindstone from him, I also remember Shuri doing something just before the Thanos army infiltrated the base. Was anything ever explained after that scene. Like what was the end result? Did they manage to copy him or anything? Or was it just assumed they couldn’t separate him in time before Thanos got to him and removed it.

    Shuri was trying to remove the mind stone from him but still leave him be able to be alive (he may have lost his powers but still been an android). But they were attacked before she could finish and Wanda destroyed the mind stone (but killing Vision in the process because it hadn't been separated from him) to stop Thanos getting it. Thanos reversed time using the time stone and then tore the mind stone from Vision's head, killing him again. Then he stayed dead until WandaVision so we don't know how he's back or whats going on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey


    I don't get how people think this is a 50s sitcom parody, the first episode ends with someone watching them from a control room which people surely would see that there's more going on than what we see

    Plus there's way more subtle hints that this isn't reality


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey


    Penn wrote: »
    Shuri was trying to remove the mind stone from him but still leave him be able to be alive (he may have lost his powers but still been an android). But they were attacked before she could finish and Wanda destroyed the mind stone (but killing Vision in the process because it hadn't been separated from him) to stop Thanos getting it. Thanos reversed time using the time stone and then tore the mind stone from Vision's head, killing him again. Then he stayed dead until WandaVision so we don't know how he's back or whats going on.

    Wanda's first line was saying something about vision having an indestructible head :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser


    RedRochey wrote: »
    I don't get how people think this is a 50s sitcom parody, the first episode ends with someone watching them from a control room which people surely would see that there's more going on than what we see

    Plus there's way more subtle hints that this isn't reality

    Sherlock, is that you??


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey


    Haha sorry, I'm just saying why are people giving out that this is a poor sitcom parody/filler when it's clear that's not what it's supposed to be

    Also loved the way the toaster in the ad made the same noise as iron man's repulsors, those tiny details are brilliant


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion


    RedRochey wrote: »
    Haha sorry, I'm just saying why are people giving out that this is a poor sitcom parody/filler when it's clear that's not what it's supposed to be

    Also loved the way the toaster in the ad made the same noise as iron man's repulsors, those tiny details are brilliant

    It's clear there is something else going on but that part of the show makes up only 5% of the run time. The other 95% is a really poor sitcom/parody.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18


    It's clear there is something else going on but that part of the show makes up only 5% of the run time. The other 95% is a really poor sitcom/parody.

    This comes back to point with all sitcoms though that humour is subjective, especially when you're aping a particular style. I thought some of the jokes were good in episode one were good, they were of the era, you could see the setups but they were done well and the magic show sequence in the second episode was great. As I mentioned earlier I don't think there's much parody in here. I'll be interested to see if and how people's opinions change as we get closer to the contemporary styles.


  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser


    It's clear there is something else going on but that part of the show makes up only 5% of the run time. The other 95% is a really poor sitcom/parody.

    This.

    It'd be like if Star Trek did an entire season of a holodeck plotline.

    95% to 5% is just too much. It needs more 'glitches' or maybe even a parallel real-world plotline.

    I'll stick with it because it's Marvel and I know they'll get there eventually. But being a fan does not blind me to the fact that the first two episodes are just not quality entertainment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor


    This.

    It'd be like if Star Trek did an entire season of a holodeck plotline.

    95% to 5% is just too much. It needs more 'glitches' or maybe even a parallel real-world plotline.

    I'll stick with it because it's Marvel and I know they'll get there eventually. But being a fan does not blind me to the fact that the first two episodes are just not quality entertainment.

    I'm giving th show the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

    I enjoyed the first two episodes enough, to be honest, but if the season is mostly this, then I will become more disappointed as we go.

    My hope is that the tv show reality becomes more and more broken, and we start to see the real world plot a lot more.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc



    My hope is that the tv show reality becomes more and more broken, and we start to see the real world plot a lot more.

    From what I heard online that's exactly the route the show is going, each episode peels back more and more of the mystery and the final 3 episodes abandon the sitcom thing completely.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor


    Loughc wrote: »
    From what I heard online that's exactly the route the show is going, each episode peels back more and more of the mystery and the final 3 episodes abandon the sitcom thing completely.

    but another 4 episodes of this could become an issue to even defenders of the show, never mind people who have already been put off by it in the first 2.

    IMO we need to see something big in the episode this week, and episode 4 will need to ratchet it up.

    I don't really want to watch a meaningless tv comedy here - I want the real world impacts to start impacting the tv show piece now, and have Wanda try to keep it together.


  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser


    IMO we need to see something big in the episode this week, and episode 4 will need to ratchet it up.

    I have hope for episode 3. When reviewers were sent early preview copies, they were sent 3 episodes, not 2, and many of them commented that it clicked into gear by ep 3.


  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E


    I really disliked the first half of the first episode. It didn't click with me at all.
    Glad I stuck with it though. When strange things started happening, I really got into it.
    By the end of the second episode I was hooked.

    I wonder if this is a one season show?


  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭joficeduns1


    Mr E wrote: »
    I really disliked the first half of the first episode. It didn't click with me at all.
    Glad I stuck with it though. When strange things started happening, I really got into it.
    By the end of the second episode I was hooked.

    I wonder if this is a one season show?

    I'd expect it is, given the expectation that it (i.e. the illusion/reality that Wanda has created) falls apart by the end.

    I'm enjoying it anyway. It's the first MCU content in TV format, so it's definitely changing pace. Yes, there is very little shown about the "outside" reality, but I think we'll get more and more of that week on week.

    What else have we to be doing other than waiting for weekly episodes anyway. I'm enjoying reading comments and speculation through the week now, and have plenty more to look forward to with all the shows coming this year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol


    but another 4 episodes of this could become an issue to even defenders of the show, never mind people who have already been put off by it in the first 2.

    IMO we need to see something big in the episode this week, and episode 4 will need to ratchet it up.

    I don't really want to watch a meaningless tv comedy here - I want the real world impacts to start impacting the tv show piece now, and have Wanda try to keep it together.

    People you describe that have been put off by the first 2 episodes because it hasn't ratcheted up already just have no patience. There is no payoff if we don't spend some time with the characters in this reality. Sure if it was like the first episode for another 4 you'd have a point but we've already seen things escalate in the second episode.

    To me it seems people are struggling moving from the relatively tight movie format to a TV show, there were the same complaints about the Mandalorian season 1 not ramping up fast enough. Now looking back it wouldn't have been nearly as impactful season 2 if they'd gone the route these fans were demanding.


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion


    Foxtrol wrote: »
    People you describe that have been put off by the first 2 episodes because it hasn't ratcheted up already just have no patience. There is no payoff if we don't spend some time with the characters in this reality. Sure if it was like the first episode for another 4 you'd have a point but we've already seen things escalate in the second episode.

    To me it seems people are struggling moving from the relatively tight movie format to a TV show, there were the same complaints about the Mandalorian season 1 not ramping up fast enough. Now looking back it wouldn't have been nearly as impactful season 2 if they'd gone the route these fans were demanding.

    I disagree there. It's not because the episodes started slow but the parts of the episodes not dealing with the weird shít are more or less completely rubbish. There are plenty of shows that start off slow and build to something but the episodes/shows are still good. In the case of Wandavision, the first 2 episodes were mostly rubbish with a small part of the episode showing us something interesting that might lead to something good.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine


    I disagree there. It's not because the episodes started slow but the parts of the episodes not dealing with the weird shít are more or less completely rubbish. There are plenty of shows that start off slow and build to something but the episodes/shows are still good. In the case of Wandavision, the first 2 episodes were mostly rubbish with a small part of the episode showing us something interesting that might lead to something good.

    I think that's probably the best summation of the show I've seen so far


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin


    Im jumping in late!
    Can see alot of people not enjoying this no instant action will turn alot of fans, no big obvious badguy.

    I enjoyed it the nod to strucker and stark in the midpoint adverts as her original enemies in AOU.
    The bizarre uncomfortable laughter track.

    Its building, I would have preferred a pay off maybe if this had being 2- 1 hour episodes to get the ball really rolling so you have a better idea what your dealing with.

    However if this was not marvel or connected to anything I would be gone and not really coming back!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey


    Mr E wrote: »
    I wonder if this is a one season show?

    Think it all depends on how they handle
    the fact that Vision is actually dead, but I guess that could all change with the introduction multiverse/time travelling now

    Does that need spoilers? The movie came out 3 years ago but maybe there's people watching now that haven't seen the movies?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi


    RedRochey wrote: »
    Think it all depends on how they handle
    the fact that Vision is actually dead, but I guess that could all change with the introduction multiverse/time travelling now

    Does that need spoilers? The movie came out 3 years ago but maybe there's people watching now that haven't seen the movies?

    On the whole issue of spoilers, I have seen all the movies, have a general awareness of the comics, but not on the micro level. So when people throw around terms like
    grim reaper, sword etc
    I find that a bit spoilery


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab


    Didn’t enjoy the first episode but watched the second today and it felt a bit better. I’ll be sticking with it for as like a lot I’d say I want to see where it’s going. Life on Mars vibe off the radio talking to her I thought
    It’s the intrigue that will keep people watching so the end better be worth it and not be remembered like lost.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson


    Mr E wrote: »
    I really disliked the first half of the first episode. It didn't click with me at all.
    Glad I stuck with it though. When strange things started happening, I really got into it.
    By the end of the second episode I was hooked.

    I wonder if this is a one season show?

    Vision did have a very popular solo comic series where he had an android family all in the same mold as him.

    Some are speculating about Marvel planning a Young Avengers TV Series so a kinda second series of this could introduce Visions Android family. (His daughter became a hero)

    Obviously the Wanda bit would be irrelevant but yeah I guess Vision could carry a second/continuation series.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol


    I disagree there. It's not because the episodes started slow but the parts of the episodes not dealing with the weird shít are more or less completely rubbish. There are plenty of shows that start off slow and build to something but the episodes/shows are still good. In the case of Wandavision, the first 2 episodes were mostly rubbish with a small part of the episode showing us something interesting that might lead to something good.

    No, there are clearly two big types of complaints so far.

    Firstly, what I noted in my post - those complaining about the speed the show is progressing, including posters wanting more already and the topic of how it is released weekly rather than allowing a binge.

    Secondly, there is what you're talking about - the content. As I said already, I've never enjoyed a 'dream scene' or 'dream episode' in any show or movie and add to that I'm also not a fan of old school sitcoms. I obviously haven't been over the moon with this show so far but having said that I think it has done a decent job of dealing with both of those and it is exactly what Wandavision was heavily advertised as being before it started. I've gone in eyes open and I'm judging it based off that, even though I personally hope it pivots to the 'real world' sooner rather than later. I feel complaining about not liking this being set in a sitcom format is like the posters that always complain about the Avengers movies having big a set piece battle - it is what you've signed up for (especially ridiculous in the case of Wandavision where we've had what one ninth of the season).

    Now there is an argument that if the content was really good there would be no complaints about the speed of the show or the weekly format but evidence points to that simply not being true. We saw with the first season of the Mandalorian how there was plenty of posters complaining about the lack of progression of the overarching story and the weekly format despite how finding the show to be good. There are a group of people that seem to have been destroyed by binging and can't seem to deal with not having the power to consume as much as they want, especially when they aren't provided instant gratification.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad


    I hope it gets better , the first episode was a parody of 50s sitcom, the boss comes to dinner, I cant remember one funny line.
    i think wanda and the vision have great chemistry as actors.
    a sitcom thats not funny is what ?
    an old episode of the dick van dyke show on youtube is free and actually has a few good jokes.
    the office was not always very funny but it had a great cast and
    each episode had a story to tell.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost


    Foxtrol wrote: »
    No, there are clearly two big types of complaints so far.


    it is exactly what Wandavision was heavily advertised as being before it started. I've gone in eyes open


    yeah the amount of advertising they done for this show, they were putting out new ads everyday for weeks online, showing you that the show would go beyond the sitcom.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol


    yeah the amount of advertising they done for this show, they were putting out new ads everyday for weeks online, showing you that the show would go beyond the sitcom.

    We're apparently at most one sixth of the way through the series (other sources say we aren't even that far). All signs point to the black and white elements being over now and the second episode was already a big step away from the basic sitcom format that we saw in the first.

    What you're saying is akin to complaining that the ads in the run up for a 2 hour movie showed the characters in space and then giving out that they haven't left earth after the first 20 minutes.

    You're entitled to your opinion but it just seems there is a complete lack of patience


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭adaminho


    I've watched it twice, I actually liked it knowing that it moves on and that I can relate to the old sitcoms. Anyone else get
    A Rik Mayall buzz from Paul Bettany in the second episode?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill


    So, I have watch the first 2 episodes, what a pile of sh1te.
    By all means develop characters, but those episodes were absolutely terrible.
    If they wanted to do a 1950's American suburb sit-com as an intro, 5 mins is all they needed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭Penn


    Watched new episode this morning. I'm still enjoying it anyway. I think it's a good mix of utter cheese with sinister overtones in how the veil is slowly being lifted (more in this episode too). Maybe people would have found it more palatable if they'd combined the first two episodes into a 45 minute episode and cut out a bit of the fluff, but I'm enjoying the slow burn of it too.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG


    Watched the third episode there and overall I'm finding the series brilliant. When you understand what's happening, you enjoy it a lot more. It's dealing with Wandas PTSD and her alternate reality which is very obvious from the very first scene of the first episode.


Advertisement