Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ridley wrote: »
    The gag where a doctor diagnoses a visibly pregnant woman as pregnant isn't supposed to be funny?

Very first scene, doctor has stethoscope on and says "mmm" and there's laugh track then he says "yep, definitely pregnant" and more laughing.

There was anything funny about it but I think they're deliberately adding the track as I think its an idealised version of a comedy but not real.

shawki wrote: »
    I think some people are just looking for sequel to endgame and are annoyed that isn't the case.

This show was always going to be a slow burn.

Agree with this, it's building up and setting the scene now.

I'm sure when complete that these will all make sense and then we'd appreciate them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I think some people are just looking for sequel to endgame and are annoyed that isn't the case.

This show was always going to be a slow burn.

Definitely not, as a stand alone show its even worse, certainly didn't expect anything like the film's, we all seen the trailers and knew what it was, just didn't realize that the trailer was all it was. It being part of marvel is probably the only reason I didn't turn it off after 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The 3rd episode was very good, big imrovement... almost Legion levels of nuts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

murpho999 wrote: »
    Very first scene, doctor has stethoscope on and says "mmm" and there's laugh track then he says "yep, definitely pregnant" and more laughing.

There was anything funny about it but I think they're deliberately adding the track as I think its an idealised version of a comedy but not real.

Pretty much its because all sitcoms do this; add laugh tracks to the almost every utterance from the characters, no matter how pointless or unfunny. And its not a new thing for shows to make fun of this trope, I have to say "Simpsons did it!" decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not feeling the love for this at all

The whole slapstick/comedy is putting me off - not something I would watch normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

Snotty wrote: »
    . It being part of marvel is probably the only reason I didn't turn it off after 5 minutes.

I don't get this argument. Isn't that the whole point? It's not aimed at an audience that don't know what the MCU is IMO. It's a marvel story with characters we know, leading to a larger setup in the MCU to come.

I'm enjoying the slow burn and the old sitcom callbacks etc The mystery is there and I'm looking forward to how it pans out. 30mins isn't much of a commitment either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

pah wrote: »
    I don't get this argument. Isn't that the whole point? It's not aimed at an audience that don't know what the MCU is IMO. It's a marvel story with characters we know, leading to a larger setup in the MCU to come.

I'm enjoying the slow burn and the old sitcom callbacks etc The mystery is there and I'm looking forward to how it pans out. 30mins isn't much of a commitment either.

Oddly I have very little interest in marvel, probably only saw 2/3 of the movies and whilst I found the first episode a bit of a slog there is an intrigue that has me interested. I enjoyed the third episode today and whilst I wouldn’t say it’s great or anything I’m very keen to see where it’s going.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thought this episode was better. The sitcom part wasn't as poor as the first 2 episodes but still pretty bad. Seeing more of the real world and mystery side of things also helped a lot. I really like the bit near the end where the two neighbours changed to their sitcom personas instantly. The black guy (can't remember his name) goes from looking borderline terrified to happy and jovial in a flash. 'Catch you on the flipside, Vision'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭shawki

Snotty wrote: »
    we all seen the trailers and knew what it was, just didn't realize that the trailer was all it was.

But that’s not all it is, there’s 6 episodes left. The trailers actually show there’s a hell of lot more to the story than what they’ve showed so far.

This isn’t a throwaway series for casual viewing,
    its been confirmed that it’s going to have ramifications for the next Spider-Man and Dr. Strange

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But that’s not all it is, there’s 6 episodes left. The trailers actually show there’s a hell of lot more to the story than what they’ve showed so far.

its been confirmed that it’s going to have ramifications for the next Spider-Man and Dr. Strange

We know there is a lot more going on and more of it will get unveiled but so far 95% of the runtime has been a poor sitcom. I didn't even watch the trailer (I avoid them nowadays, way too spoilery) but even I heard enough of it to know what it was going to be about. What I didn't know is that the sitcom parts would be so bad. Sure, it might be intentional that they aren't meant to be funny and maybe it is meant to be cheesy but that still doesn't make those parts of the show good.

Everyone understands that, no one is missing the short hints along the way, no need to be patting anyone on the back for realising its not "I Dream of Jeannie 2". The problem is making people sit through 20 minute of crap for that 1 minute.
    I thought I would get to see 3 this evening but alas no, but even if 3 is a masterpiece, doesn't change the rubbish that was 1 and 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭brevity

At first I didn’t really like it but now I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,371 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Pretty much its because all sitcoms do this; add laugh tracks to the almost every utterance from the characters, no matter how pointless or unfunny. And its not a new thing for shows to make fun of this trope, I have to say "Simpsons did it!" decades ago.

Exactly, it heightens the un-reality of the whole thing. I'm enjoying it anyway. It's...off. Olsen and Bettany are fantastic as well, and, jeez, the 70s style suited Ms. Olsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I actually didn't think that episode was as funny as the first two episodes ... It's almost like humour is completely subjective.

I still enjoyed it, a lot more going on and a lot more hints towards what's actually going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't see how anyone could find any of the episodes funny. Are they actually trying to make them funny? It feels more like parody to me

Episode 3 was much better though. Last ten minutes or so in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

siblers wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone could find any of the episodes funny. Are they actually trying to make them funny? It feels more like parody to me

I don’t think they are meant to be funny

They've ratcheted up the 'humour' to be more sinister. As in the 'residents', probably real people, not figments, are realising what's going on and will humour the almost all powerful being.

I'd really like Wanda to stop talking through her nose, but I think that's deliberate for the character she has invented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I won't spoil how but this episode has connections to Captain Marvel.

Nope, still don't have a clue WTF is going on.
    Interestingly I've been watching the last series of Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. on Disney+ (didn't bootleg it, last episode next Friday) and they had an interesting take on time jumps as well.

siblers wrote: »

Parodies by definition are meant to be funny though. I don't think it is parody though, I think it's closer to homage.

Some bits I thought were funny in the first episode; Vision panicking when his colleagues said he was like a super computer, Vision saying he has no skeleton when his boss asks remarks that he better not have any skeletons in his closet. I didn't guffaw but they raised a chuckle. I've already mentioned that the magic show is episode two was great, not necessarily the jokes but Paul Bettany's performance was fantastic (FLOURISH!) I did laugh when Wanda transformed the piano into a cardboard cutout and everyone was laughing except the guy who said "that was my grandmother's piano". There are definitely intentional jokes in this show, just because people don't find them funny doesn't mean they aren't there. The whole thing with Wanda trying to keep Geraldine from seeing first her pregnancy and then the stork is a classic sitcom trope, it's not one I particularly enjoy but even if I don't find it funny, they're at least finding ways to tie it into the narrative and not just doing it because it's a trope. The sitcom format bold move given the divisive nature of comedy, let's hope they don't do a Mrs Brown's Boys episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yeah, homage is more accurate than Parody.

One of the future episodes is meant to be based of off Modern Family, will be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Watched the 3rd episode, I mean I'll continue watching it but it's not very engaging and I'd mark it off as "sh*te" so far tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

I think an issue may be the drawing out of the episodes weekly. Hard to know for sure obviously before seeing the whole thing but I remember reading along the lines that these shows are almost seen as long form marvel movies to an extent.
    I get the feeling the show would sit better if binged in a few sittings, rather than 25 minutes a week. One poor or slow episode could be forgotten about quickly if you watch another 3 in a row straight after, but if it is the only new episode until next week, you dwell on it longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

Can't help but be reminded of that final part of Captain America the first avenger when he wakes up in 1940s but it's the 2000's ...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭setanta1000

So to offer a counterpoint to all the "Barry Norman's" on this thread :D I'm watching this with my 12 year old and he loves it.

He completely gets that it's some sort of world that Wanda has created for herself to keep herself safe, he doesn't get any of the references to old sitcoms and he doesn't care - he loves trying to spot what's "normal" sitcom and what is Marvel world trying to break in - so based on my scientific survey of one it looks like Marvel have hit their target audience.

I quite like it as well, i also liked the piano gag, and i thought the stork was a laugh - but I really like the sinister edge that is there - like the doc saying he'll never go on holidays because he can never leave......quite Hotel California...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You are not watching a sitcom this is a play within a play sphere that is going to evolve very fast as has been said the ending of ep3 and the symbolism seen so far is showing that this is not what it seems and the fact that sone characters are willing to just go for the ride in the car seems to me they're more self aware than others.

Funny thought on the hedge trimmer was the neighbour trying to break the 4th wall???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

You are not watching a sitcom this is a play within a play sphere that is going to evolve very fast as has been said the ending of ep3 and the symbolism seen so far is showing that this is not what it seems and the fact that sone characters are willing to just go for the ride in the car seems to me they're more self aware than others.

Funny thought on the hedge trimmer was the neighbour trying to break the 4th wall???

Was wondering that too, thought at first it was a glitch in the matrix since her powers started going haywire during the pregnancy, but he seemed perfectly aware of what he was doing. Unless it was a deliberate attempt to throw Vision off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Was wondering that too, thought at first it was a glitch in the matrix since her powers started going haywire during the pregnancy, but he seemed perfectly aware of what he was doing. Unless it was a deliberate attempt to throw Vision off?

The people are real, they're stuck in Wandas little world... They're trying to get out.

The people are real, they're stuck in Wandas little world... They're trying to get out.

Is Vision real? That is the question.

Of course not, she's holding onto him

• Advertisement

Of course not, she's holding onto him

He seems to be independent of her though. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd argue he's somewhat real , I mean they did copy alot of him in wakanda at the end of Infinity War

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think when it gets to the point that's in the trailer, where the neighbour asks
    am I dead?
    , that question will get answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

But on the radio the man was saying "who's doing this to you Wanda?" so I think Wanda created the world but someone might be trying to infiltrate it

Episode 3 slight better but feel like these 3 episodes should have really been condensed to 1

RedRochey wrote: »
    But on the radio the man was saying "who's doing this to you Wanda?" so I think Wanda created the world but someone might be trying to infiltrate it

We know SWORD are infiltrating it as Monica (Geraldine) got in, and then thrown back out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

E:3
    That final scene looked a bit like an anomalous zone. I’m thinking Wanda created an impenetrable bubble that both shield and hydra are trying to infiltrate. I think Vision is alive, but not the Vision that was killed in infinity war, I think this Vision was pulled from an alternative timeline that’s creating the anomaly/fantasy world that we are watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

First half of episode 3 was poor. I thought it picked up in the second half. My main concern with this storyline is I don't see how the payoff can be remotely worth it. It feels like a one episode idea (or at most a two-parter) that is being dragged out far too long.

There was enough timey wimey universe hopping going on for a Vision to come through

• Advertisement

I have a theory ... Or at least half a theory. I'm going to spolier tag it.
    Herb was about to say something in episode 3 "she came here because we're all ...", I think they're all dead. The sign for the town looked old and not well looked after, I wonder if maybe a small town got destroyed during the final battled in Endgame. Wanda is the Avenger who has experienced the most personal trauma and so to see this small innocent town completely obliterated combined with her grief for Vision, she's recreated the town and the people. I'm not sure why Agnes would be trying to hide it, maybe she's afraid they'll die again. I think maybe SWORD think someone is doing to Wanda, has trapped her and they're trying to infiltrate to save her, not knowing she's doing it to herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭joficeduns1

I'm not so sure about a alternate timeline Vision. I think she has essentially re-animated Visions dead body. He clearly is able to think independently and has all of his usual powers (phasing, computational, speed, strength etc.) I think she has assisted in giving him life, but if her reality is destroyed he'll go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Penn wrote: »
    Watched new episode this morning. I'm still enjoying it anyway. I think it's a good mix of utter cheese with sinister overtones in how the veil is slowly being lifted (more in this episode too). Maybe people would have found it more palatable if they'd combined the first two episodes into a 45 minute episode and cut out a bit of the fluff, but I'm enjoying the slow burn of it too.

I don't believe cutting 25% off the first 2 episodes would change a thing for the people who are complaining and it would have rushed us getting to understand the world they are in. Covering their home life, work, and building the relationships with the neighbors in 45 minutes would be extremely rushed. I believe the same people would still feel it dragged and wouldn't be unless the sitcom element was for about the first 5 minutes and then never seen again.

In episode 3 we're already getting a level of payoff from how the characters are now acting compared to the baseline we saw in the first and second episodes. It was another step up on the previous two episodes, if it can maintain that progression then we'll have a great tail end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

The length is right for each episode it's the week long wait in between them that is killing it for me.
    Not because I'm used to binge watching, but there is no hook yet, I don't know or care for any character!

I have not being told any information yet, with a binge watch you get there quicker.

This show in isolation would you have watched past ep1 probably not.
    Def half way through ep 3 I was alright enough with the we are looking at a sitcom from the 50's, 60's,70's!!
    Give me meat now I need to start getting a little pay off.
    Which they threw with the "I was a twin line"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There were a few "hooks" in ep 3...
    The neighbour cutting through the wall, the Vision rewind, the twins and "Ultron killed him" moment, "No one ever leaves", the scene with the two neighbours... "is Geraldine in there", and then Geraldine being evicted and we see the real world

Ep 3 ramped things up a notch. Odds are, ep 4 will continue to ramp it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bacchus wrote: »
    There were a few "hooks" in ep 3...
    The neighbour cutting through the wall, the Vision rewind, the twins and "Ultron killed him" moment, "No one ever leaves", the scene with the two neighbours... "is Geraldine in there", and then Geraldine being evicted and we see the real world

Ep 3 ramped things up a notch. Odds are, ep 4 will continue to ramp it up.

Agree - to me those were all 'pay off' moments that wouldn't have meant nearly as much if they happened in episode 1, before we spent some time getting to know where they are and the new characters.

For proper pay off for each of those moments there is an argument that it could have needed an even slower burn for the show - like getting to know the neighbours for longer. However, given the vocal reactions of some here to the pace they're going at now they probably pushed the slow burn as much as they could.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I have a theory ... Or at least half a theory. I'm going to spolier tag it.
    Herb was about to say something in episode 3 "she came here because we're all ...", I think they're all dead. The sign for the town looked old and not well looked after, I wonder if maybe a small town got destroyed during the final battled in Endgame. Wanda is the Avenger who has experienced the most personal trauma and so to see this small innocent town completely obliterated combined with her grief for Vision, she's recreated the town and the people. I'm not sure why Agnes would be trying to hide it, maybe she's afraid they'll die again. I think maybe SWORD think someone is doing to Wanda, has trapped her and they're trying to infiltrate to save her, not knowing she's doing it to herself.

Sorry but why do you need to spoiler a post for your own theory in a thread full of spoilers?

Spoiler tags are so annoying.

Sorry but why do you need to spoiler a post for your own theory in a thread full of spoilers?

Spoiler tags are so annoying.

Most of the spoilers you mention are for things that have already happened. I think anything that hasn't yet happened or is speculation should be spoilered as some people may only want to discuss episodes already aired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I lost any interest in this show. I got Disney + for this and not going to renew it when the month comes up. I'm sure the second half of this show will pick up but I find this show a failure of storytelling.
    You can say all you want about slow-paced, but they're just dragging things out. They have gone out of their way to recreate these classic American sitcoms which mean next to nothing to most foreign and younger audiences. I haven't laughed once at any of the attempts at comedy and there no attempt at moving the main story forward.
    I worried about the Dinsey+ going down the Marvel Netflix route, but at least the Marvel Netflix would start strong and then hit the brakes in the middle, Wanda-Vision is still in the car park.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Most of the spoilers you mention are for things that have already happened. I think anything that hasn't yet happened or is speculation should be spoilered as some people may only want to discuss episodes already aired.

I don't see the need to spoiler stuff that may never happen and people can scroll past what they don't want to read.

It makes page impossible to read on mobile devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I don't see the need to spoiler stuff that may never happen and people can scroll past what they don't want to read.

It makes page impossible to read on mobile devices.

The only theories people should maybe tag is ones related to the comics which I imagine a lot here haven't read, regular out of the air theories based on what we've seen MCU wise is a bit more clear imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement