Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, any input on burning scrap wood at all? I'm talking scrap ply and the likes. Is it a no go because the layers would have been glued together and this makes it unsafe (for the air in the room, or for the chimney soot build up) or not environmentally friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Anyone any suggestions on making or buying a cheap log storage for a shed / garage? I don't need a roof on it, in fact I'd prefer a reasonably sturdy flat top that I could then use to place other things on like a shelf....

Am thinking ill have to make myself with some plywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

cormie wrote: »
    Folks, any input on burning scrap wood at all? I'm talking scrap ply and the likes. Is it a no go because the layers would have been glued together and this makes it unsafe (for the air in the room, or for the chimney soot build up) or not environmentally friendly?

I wouldn’t burn it for fear of build up in the flue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

cormie wrote: »

Apart from the damage you are going to do to your flue, more importantly the fumes will be carcinogenic and poisonous, same goes for chipboard unfortunately.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Firblog

Anyone any suggestions on making or buying a cheap log storage for a shed / garage? I don't need a roof on it, in fact I'd prefer a reasonably sturdy flat top that I could then use to place other things on like a shelf....

Am thinking ill have to make myself with some plywood?

Made one recently, 2 pallets on the base & one either side. used bits of an old shed for the back & roof, and the 2 shed half doors for the front. Cut two 2 X 3 lengths of wood to go across the top - screwed into the 2 side pallets to give strength to the sides; working fine so far :)

If you are putting it inside then you wouldn't need back or roof, or could use 2 more pallets to put on top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Looks like Monahans have all of their hardwood out of stock ATM.

Any other similar in terms of value per m^3 available for delivery to East Mayo/NW Roscommon?

Surefirewood have stock, but I treat them as a last resort. Mostly because they sell mixed hardwood in their loosely packed bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is story with firewood from UK now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

joujoujou wrote: »
    Looks like Monahans have all of their hardwood out of stock ATM.

Any other similar in terms of value per m^3 available for delivery to East Mayo/NW Roscommon?

Surefirewood have stock, but I treat them as a last resort. Mostly because they sell mixed hardwood in their loosely packed bags.

Don't be so afraid. They sell pallets that come in small bags too which is handy for carrying to the shed. Great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Firewood though?
    Not in the news, but there are some factories in Eastern Europe fully closed due to Covid.
    These factories are the main suppliers to Monaghan's and others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

john_doe. wrote: »
    Was wondering are these any good and which is the best value. All kiln dried and in Cork.

€199
    Hand Stacked Ash Hardwood. Comes In A Crate. 450kg. Crate dimensions: 1.2M (H) x 1.15M (W) x 0.85M (D)

€199
    Premium Oak Log 25cm Crate 1m (430KG)
    Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97 m. Volume of Firewood 0.80m

€199
    Kiln Dried Beech Logs 430kg.Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97M. Volume of Firewood 0.80M

€220
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Birch Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Ash Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

€230
    1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Oak Firewood Logs. H 49" x B 34" x W 46"

Can I ask where did you get these prices please? I'm.in cork and have enough logs til maybe end if February. I normally but two crates around march and leave them in the shed and dry away out until I go back lighting the stove in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im not sure which website those prices are from but in the Cork area Coughlans has been mentioned on this thread before as a good supplier. If you read back up the thread or do a search you'll find posts about them. From memory a poster here OmegaGene got 1.2m3 of kiln dried oak for 230 euro which is a decent price and he was happy with the quality of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im not sure which website those prices are from but in the Cork area Coughlans has been mentioned on this thread before as a good supplier. If you read back up the thread or do a search you'll find posts about them. From memory a poster here OmegaGene got 1.2m3 of kiln dried oak for 230 euro which is a decent price and he was happy with the quality of them.

I got a few crates from them too. Happy with them and the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Billydoc

A company near me offered me 1.2 cubic metre crate of kiln dry ash from Sweden. For €190. He states low ash abs moisture below 12%.

Is that reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Is this 1.2 cubic metres crate size or wood content?

On the crates there 3 or four inches lost on the bottom and maybe 1.5 to 2inches off the width and depth.

I try to judge each supplier by crate dimensions as they are all the same.

Billydoc wrote: »
    A company near me offered me 1.2 cubic metre crate of kiln dry ash from Sweden. For €190. He states low ash abs moisture below 12%.

Is that reasonable?

If that price includes delivery to your house and its 12% moisture then its very reasonable. Normal prices for a 1.2m3 crate of ash or oak would be 220-250. He's probably trying to clear stock so is discounting it.

If you get an order in you might share the company name so others here can benefit if they need a top up before winter is over.

bailey99 wrote: »
    Is this 1.2 cubic metres crate size or wood content?

On the crates there 3 or four inches lost on the bottom and maybe 1.5 to 2inches off the width and depth.

I try to judge each supplier by crate dimensions as they are all the same.

The 1.2m3 refers to crate size. You are correct to say with the inches lost on the sides and on the bottom it means the volume of wood is less than 1.2m3.

That said I have yet to see any company sell it by the internal dimension of the crate, they all seem to go by the external measurements. I still have a crate out the back and will measure it internally before I break it down just out of interest to find out the actual internal volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Just ordered my second Beech 1.2m pallet of the winter from tj omahony. €210 delivered. https://tjomahony.ie/88beech450-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 longvacation

How long is 1.2m2 hardwood lasting based on a nightly 5 hour fire?

• Advertisement

This is just a rough estimate but I would say if burning 7 nights a week 1.2m would last you about a month, maybe very slightly longer. If you're burning that much it makes sense to buy in the biggest bulk you can to save money, i.e. trailer loads rather than crates. Of course that means you need a lot of storage. But just consider that around 30-40 euro of every crate is a delivery cost inside it so it makes sense to have just one big delivery rather than paying multiple times by buying multiple crates. If you were buying 3, 4 or even 5 1.2m3 crates in one go make sure to haggle on the total price, I would try to get about 15% off the total. Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Billydoc

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If that price includes delivery to your house and its 12% moisture then its very reasonable. Normal prices for a 1.2m3 crate of ash or oak would be 220-250. He's probably trying to clear stock so is discounting it.

If you get an order in you might share the company name so others here can benefit if they need a top up before winter is over.

Aye, I presume it’s delivered to me. He only lives a few miles over the road. He’s only started selling wood recently. I could ask him for delivery prices to anywhere else if people are interested.

Aye, I presume it’s delivered to me. He only lives a few miles over the road. He’s only started selling wood recently. I could ask him for delivery prices to anywhere else if people are interested.

Yeh, maybe he can ship countrywide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

My 2.3m3 of oak I ordered in the middle of November is gone I didn't realise how quickly you can go through logs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

stevek93 wrote: »
    My 2.3m3 of oak I ordered in the middle of November is gone I didn't realise how quickly you can go through logs :eek:

Stove or open fire??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've found that the advertised external dimensions of the crates vs the internal can be significant e.g. I was recently stung with as it was sold as 0.8(h)x1.18(w)x0.88(d) so .83m3 including the pallet and crate but measuring 0.65(h)x 1.10(w)x 0.80(d) is .57m3 internally almost 40% less. So you may believe it was 2.3m3 but its a lot less in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Stove or open fire??

Stove.

https://www.bolgersagri.ie/collections/heating-plumbing/products/kiln-dried-hardwood-logs-350l-crate

This place is near Rosslare so I could get collected.
    Would it be value for money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

2forjoy wrote: »
    https://www.bolgersagri.ie/collections/heating-plumbing/products/kiln-dried-hardwood-logs-350l-crate

This place is near Rosslare so I could get collected.
    Would it be value for money ?

Alder lights real easy, gives good heat but burns quickly. Mixed with other woods it's great in a stove.
    I grow and use it myself and find it good in a mix.
    Is the above good value. Not so sure. It's split very small so burning on its own it will burn too fast.
    There's probably better value out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Off be interested if he's delivering to Dublin. Not sure where you are yourself

Advertisement