Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

joujoujou wrote: »
    Hello everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

First off, thanks for providing links to bargains.

First one I bought - SureFirewood superjumbo bag (235 euro). Mixture of ash, oak, beech, alder, chestnut and some others I was unable to recognise. Average log's length - 20 to 22 cm. No photo (sorry), the remainder of the stuff can be seen in bottom right corner on photo #3.

The second one, purchased last week - Monahans kiln dried 2m crate of oak. 370 quid.

Great post, thanks for sharing.

Just on the Surefirewood order- how did you find the stacking of the logs inside the bag, was there a lot of fresh air in it or tightly stacked?

Also they say on their site that the Super Jumbo Bag is 1.6m3 loose in the bag and then 1.1m3 when hand stacked, would you say that was more or less accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

So whos the best option for a pallet of firewood to be delivered to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Heighway61 wrote: »
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on two pallets of the Rocket Blaze but this is my concern, how long-burning are they.

I came across these https://www.greenfuelireland.com/hardwood-briquettes/ . I wonder does the name "All Night Long" mean that they are long burning. Only available in single packs and I don't know about that web site.

I had burned those briquettes a few years ago. They were one of the best of the solid sawdust logs but they did expand and didn't hold their shape when burned. (the ones with the hole in the centre are the best I think)
    I also bought some olive wood from Greenfuelsireland, and it was like burning coal.

It was super hot and lasted long but it came in net sacks and I found it awkward to store and I didn't buy enough to make it economical. ( I was in my research phase) Maybe I didn't give it enough attention. In the mean time I bought the Blazers and was happy with them.

Before finding the blazers I had spent a few years researching these wood briquettes. There appear to be lots of different names for what appears to be a few different type of briquettes in the cylinder log type. In other words the same log may be packed under different names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

lenscap wrote: »
    I had burned those briquettes a few years ago. They were one of the best of the solid sawdust logs but they did expand and didn't hold their shape when burned. (the ones with the hole in the centre are the best I think)
    I also bought some olive wood from Greenfuelsireland, and it was like burning coal.

It was super hot and lasted long but it came in net sacks and I found it awkward to store and I didn't buy enough to make it economical. ( I was in my research phase) Maybe I didn't give it enough attention. In the mean time I bought the Blazers and was happy with them.

Before finding the blazers I had spent a few years researching these wood briquettes. There appear to be lots of different names for what appears to be a few different type of briquettes in the cylinder log type. In other words the same log may be packed under different names.
    Just looking at the olive wood. Greenfuels claim it burns 3 x longer that all other hardwood. Did you find that? Would we not all be buying it? 400kg pallet @ €230. Hard to compare with Rocket Blaze, weight v. units.

You could be right about the same product being sold by under different labels. I've found that in other industries too.

Is the log size, 15, 20, 25cm just for stove/fire size?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Muahahaha wrote: »
    [...]

Just on the Surefirewood order- how did you find the stacking of the logs inside the bag, was there a lot of fresh air in it or tightly stacked?
    They were just thrown into a bag without proper stacking, so yes, lot of air indeed. :)
    Also they say on their site that the Super Jumbo Bag is 1.6m3 loose in the bag and then 1.1m3 when hand stacked, would you say that was more or less accurate?
    Sorry, have no idea. Ms jou was very quick burning them in the fireplace I was unable to find that out. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

Do you mind me asking how much did they quote for a pallet (ton) of the Shimada and is delivery included?

Hi guys, long time lurker here too. First post so thanks for all previous advice and recommendations. I emailed Flamers last week as thinking of taking the plunge on a pallet of Premium logs or Shimada. Haven’t tried Shimada yet but was impressed by Premium ones. Have both standard stove & boiler stove. Here’s the pricing I got in the email. Hope it’s not against the Boards rules to share with you.

Flamers Premium Logs (96 Units Per Pallet) €385
    Flamers Shimada Logs (96 Units Per Pallet) €395
    Flamers Kiln Dried Logs (70 Units Per Pallet) €340

All Pricing Included VAT @ 13.5% And Delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry3

I'm close to pulling the trigger on two pallets of the Rocket Blaze but this is my concern, how long-burning are they.

I came across these https://www.greenfuelireland.com/hardwood-briquettes/ . I wonder does the name "All Night Long" mean that they are long burning. Only available in single packs and I don't know about that web site.

I actually tried out something similar to the greenfuel briquettes...megatherm logs, and they expanded so it was very awkward to assemble a good few of them in a fire but they did seem to burn twice as long as the Blazers with a lower heat, just generally slower and not as intense. All nighters I would doubt, as 4-5hrs would be the max. Blazers with everything open and wanting intense/instant heat would be 2-3hrs but I was doing it to fire the radiators (only way to get them hot). I would imagine that the Blazers could easily do 4-5hrs in a patient fire. Looking at ordering 2 pallets of Blazers myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi all,

I got a stove installed over the weekend before I had an open fire that I just burned coal and the odd log, so I am a complete novice when it comes to fire wood. :o

What is the difference between the typical bag of logs and buying in bulk? I am not sure the average quantity of a bag nor the type of wood that would could in a bag, I am talking about the 3 euro bags of logs.

I just have a room heating stove 6khw.

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got a stove installed over the weekend before I had an open fire that I just burned coal and the odd log, so I am a complete novice when it comes to fire wood. :o

What is the difference between the typical bag of logs and buying in bulk? I am not sure the average quantity of a bag nor the type of wood that would could in a bag, I am talking about the 3 euro bags of logs.

I just have a room heating stove 6khw.

Wet logs (30-60%) would be the 3 euro types and won't give off much heat in a stove versus an open fire as the water needs to be evaporated, as well as not being good for your chimney. The wet logs will probably give off at least 30% less heat than the Kiln Dried. I got 30 bags delivered for 100 euro and they weren't super wet at all (about 30%) , so I used them in an already very hot 17kw stove but still took a good while to burn off the water. The kiln dried logs which can be 5-20% (6-8 euro per bag, but watch out for cheaper 8kg bags) are best but expensive here as they are very cheap in the US, and they get deliveries of 3.6m3 (a cord) for only a small bit more than what we pay here for our 1.2m3 crates, although their moisture may not be as good overall. We also give 0.8m3 crates or jumbo bags (quarter tonne), so we are heavily reliant on coal here. I had a 6kw to start off with, now have a 9kw and the wood logs fit in it better. Generally for the 6kw (which is fine for a room size up to 15sqm anyway), stay away from the wet logs and get smaller kiln dried wood or the wood briquettes that do not expand (one's with holes running through the center). Normal bags of logs can vary between 8-12kg (so have to be careful) whereas briquette packs are usually 10kg. Always better to buy in bulk if you can...full pallet of wood briquettes (5-10%) for 389-399 whereas the equivalent quality kiln dried logs by weight (5-15% moisture) can be had for 405-480, with both giving off equal heat and it is up to each person which they prefer. Or if you stick with the bags or packs in a shop, the 5/6 euro briquette packs (different manufacturers but the holed ones are best) and aim for the 2 for 12 log bags which are 10kg (not 8kg) and 8 euro per single 12kg bag.

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    Wet logs would be the 3 euro types and won't give much heat in a stove versus an open fire, as well as not being good for your chimney. I got 30 bags delivered for 100 euro and they weren't super wet at all, so I used them in the big 17kw stove but still took a good while to burn. The kiln dried logs (probably 6 euro if lucky) are best but expensive as they are cheap in the US, and they get deliveries of 3.6m3 ( a cord), here they can only start at 0.8m3...(or quarter tonne). I had a 6kw to start off with, now have a 9kw and the wood logs fit in those better. Generally for the 6kw (which is fine for a room size up to 15sqm anyway), stay away from the wet logs and get smaller kiln dried wood or the wood briquettes that do not expand.

Fantastic thanks, Yes the is the problem, last years logs has been drying out in the shed for this winter. Ill have a look back through the forum and find somewhere to order there is plenty of links here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Just looking at the olive wood. Greenfuels claim it burns 3 x longer that all other hardwood. Did you find that? Would we not all be buying it? 400kg pallet @ €230. Hard to compare with Rocket Blaze, weight v. units.

You could be right about the same product being sold by under different labels. I've found that in other industries too.

I don't know about olive wood burning 3 times longer but it did burn hot and for a long time. The pieces of olive wood were big and I found it difficult to split it even though I had a manual log splitter. Maybe if I could have split it smaller I would have been happier.

My stove will take a log up to 22 inches long but who needs a log that big and it doesn't burn that well when that big.

For me the Rocket Blazers did what I wanted them to do.

When I get a chance I will test out the Flamer Shimada logs and hopefull I can report back as to how they compare to the Rocket Blazers.

If any one else wants to try the Flamer Shimada they can buy a bale in Mr Price or Pet Stop and many more.

This is what you can look for.
    flamers-shimada-heat-logs.png

I don't know about olive wood burning 3 times longer but it did burn hot and for a long time. The pieces of olive wood were big and I found it difficult to split it even though I had a manual log splitter. Maybe if I could have split it smaller I would have been happier.

My stove will take a log up to 22 inches long but who needs a log that big and it doesn't burn that well when that big.

For me the Rocket Blazers did what I wanted them to do.

When I get a chance I will test out the Flamer Shimada logs and hopefull I can report back as to how they compare to the Rocket Blazers.

If any one else wants to try the Flamer Shimada they can buy a bale in Mr Price or Pet Stop and many more.

This is what you can look for.
    flamers-shimada-heat-logs.png
    Cheers. No stockists anywhere near me listed on Green Fuels but we do have a Mr. Price. I've ordered a sample from Ecologs, can do a comparison now.

From what I am reading here, it seems 1m3 should be 190-200e right? Is there much difference in the 1.2m3? 270 in the link below.

http://www.monahans.ie/kiln-dried-logs.php

Edit:

I a wrong kinda, for this link it is 146.88 m3 https://surefirewood.ie/collections/premium-kiln-dried-firewood-bulk-bags-and-pallets-delivered-to-your-door/products/premium-hardwood-1?variant=31150936096822#jumptosection but then is a mix of wood.

199e here for oak m3 https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Crates-Of-Firewood-And-Pallet-Deals/Premium-Oak-Log-25cm-Crate-1m-430kg-0051926

190e here for ash https://lawlessfuel.ie/product/574/

Is oak the better one being the most expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I'm not sure if there's much value in this but may suit someone not burning too often

https://www.build4less.ie/home-fire-logs-10-for-50-euro.html 10 x 9kg bags for €50, I think most local builders providers or even coops may stock the deal

Tried the Shimada tonight. Unreal heat, but they burn fast. I lit four, burned for about half an hour then closed off the stove. Over the next 3.5 hours I added the rest 2 at a time as the previous ones burned down to red and nearly out. Expensive heat for the winter at that rate. No expansion.

Rocket Blaze sample on the way. Will see how they preform.

Is it 10 briquettes of Shimasa for 5.50 which got you approx four hours of fire? If so it sounds like it could work out quite expensive across the whole winter

Is it 10 briquettes of Shimasa for 5.50 which got you approx four hours of fire? If so it sounds like it could work out quite expensive across the whole winter

The 4hrs for one pack of 10 is similar to the Blazers performance also that I had. I used to go through 2 packs (24 logs) for a long cold night (5-3am), so that sounds about right. I was okay with spending 8 euros a day, but others may view it as expensive as this equates to using 20-24kg (bulk savings) of kiln dried wood in one evening.

From what I am reading here, it seems 1m3 should be 190-200e right? Is there much difference in the 1.2m3? 270 in the link below.

http://www.monahans.ie/kiln-dried-logs.php

Edit:

I a wrong kinda, for this link it is 146.88 m3 https://surefirewood.ie/collections/premium-kiln-dried-firewood-bulk-bags-and-pallets-delivered-to-your-door/products/premium-hardwood-1?variant=31150936096822#jumptosection but then is a mix of wood.

199e here for oak m3 https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Crates-Of-Firewood-And-Pallet-Deals/Premium-Oak-Log-25cm-Crate-1m-430kg-0051926

190e here for ash https://lawlessfuel.ie/product/574/

Is oak the better one being the most expensive?

Oak and Ash are quite similar and usually bunched together also, with oak being worth the extra money as it will burn longer. The 199 offer is still a very good price. Mixed woods can give off various amounts of heat and may have different moisture levels but watch out for various softwoods being tossed in which can make it hard to calculate the bang for your buck.

5500 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there's much value in this but may suit someone not burning too often

https://www.build4less.ie/home-fire-logs-10-for-50-euro.html 10 x 9kg bags for €50, I think most local builders providers or even coops may stock the deal

Yeah def good value, as the 2 for 12 offer that I have seen in shops for 10kg bags would work out at 54 euro for 10*9kg bags, a saving of 4 euro.

Olive firewood has the highest calorific value from what I am reading, about 10-15% higher than Oak and burns 1.5 times longer, so a 400kg pallet for that price is near the middle of what one would pay for good quality firewood. Well worth a punt I would say.

• Advertisement

Oak and Ash are quite similar and usually bunched together also, with oak being worth the extra money as it can give you an extra 10%. The 199 offer is still a very good price. Mixed woods can give off various amounts of heat and may have different moisture levels but watch out for various softwoods being tossed in which can make it hard to calculate the bang for your buck.

I have ordered a ton bag of dried ash <20% moisture air dried not klin for 130e arriving tomorrow. I couldn’t get hold of anyone else this morning, one lad mentioned his delivery eta is 3 weeks :eek:

I have ordered a ton bag of dried ash <20% moisture air dried not klin for 130e arriving tomorrow. I couldn’t get hold of anyone else this morning, one lad mentioned his delivery eta is 3 weeks :eek:

20% is still good to use and at least it is Ash which won't burn as fast as Birch, have to look into the more affordable air dried woods myself as an alternative to wet logs. The ones I had (30*12kg bags for 100) would probably match the value in those air dried jumbo bags as I put them at about 125, taking into account the loss of heat versus air dried wood. For 130 euro, it is still good value as it is just 10% over what the maximum good rate for Kiln Dried is (1m3+ bulk orders).

Olive firewood has the highest calorific value from what I am reading, about 10-15% more output than Oak, so a 400kg pallet for that price is near the middle of what one would pay for good quality firewood. Well worth a punt I would say.

Ive also read that olive burns with a nice smell (as does pine but thats a softwood). However the claim by that company Green Fuels who sell the olive wood that it burns 3 times longer than any other hard wood sounds very dubious to me. It is a slighly denser hardwood for sure but not that much more dense so Im not getting how it could ever burn 3 times longer than ash or oak. That said I wouldnt mind buying one of their smaller net bags of it just to give it a try out.

20% is still good to use and at least it is Ash which won't burn as fast as Birch, have to look into the more affordable air dried woods myself as an alternative to wet logs. The ones I had (30*12kg bags for 100) probably would match the value in those air dried jumbo bags as I put them at about 125, taking into account the loss of heat versus air dried wood. For 130 euro, it is still good value as it is just 10% over what the maximum good rate for Kiln Dried is (1m3+ bulk orders).

Yes I have birch it burns out ridiculously quick blink and its gone basically. The jumbo bags or the ton bags are loosely packed instead of stacked am I right? If stacked you could probably increase the quantity by 40% maybe?

Yes I have birch it burns out ridiculously quick blink and its gone basically. The jumbo bags or the ton bags are loosely packed instead of stacked am I right? If stacked you could probably increase the quantity by 40% maybe?

I dont think birch is worth burning, or at least not as a single wood.

This page gives comparisons of wood in bags to wood that is stacked in a crate
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40075016.html

They say a 1m3 bag would stack into 0.65m3 in a crate so about a 35% loss to fresh air in the bag.

Also important to remember that crates have fresh air too, the triangular shaped logs stack tightly but you're always going to have round and semi-round logs that dont stack well. I would guess that crates consist of about 10% fresh air as a result.

They say a 1m3 bag would stack into 0.65m3 in a crate so about a 35% loss to fresh air in the bag.

Also important to remember that crates have fresh air too, the triangular shaped logs stack tightly but you're always going to have round and semi-round logs that dont stack well. I would guess that crates consist of about 10% fresh air as a result.

Thanks Muahahaha but it appears your link is referring to the Leo scandal :D

Ive also read that olive burns with a nice smell (as does pine but thats a softwood). However the claim by that company Green Fuels who sell the olive wood that it burns 3 times longer than any other hard wood sounds very dubious to me. It is a slighly denser hardwood for sure but not that much more dense so Im not getting how it could ever burn 3 times longer than ash or oak. That said I wouldnt mind buying one of their smaller net bags of it just to give it a try out.

Yeah was thinking the same and may try a sample, just like the "all night long" briquettes from the same place (greenfuelireland.com) which def points to them pushing it on both fronts as they also mention elsewhere that they are the best in the world....I saw in the US that Olive can burn for about 1.5 times longer than the cheapest Kiln Dried Oak (they have a huge range of quality Oak) and that the smell is a love/hate thing for some of them who are picky but it's supposed to give off a lovely aroma that fills the house. 3 times is pushing it alright :).

Yeah you are right there as when some say 430kg/450kg for 1m3 crates, it could really be closer to 400kg (which I usually use in my calculations). I have seen some places that double stack crates and you end up getting as low as 375kg per m3 when you compute it(could be losing 15 vs 10%). I read it as well that the loosely packed bags (jumbo/tonne bags) can go as low as 0.6-0.65m3...have to take that into account when ordering those and Beech is better than Birch alright, with Ash, Oak and Olive being next in line.

Ash arrived today, there is some difference in weight between the logs I have now. Not to sure actually what I had previously I think Birch but not sure they are rubbish in anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

I would be shocked if it even burned twice as long as the likes of oak. Some jokers those greenfuels lads

Advertisement