Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭cathy427

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Top Line deal was 189 euro for 0.89m3 of ash and oak mixed so that works out at 211 euro per cubic metre

The deal from Omegas local fuel merchant in Cork was 230 for 1.2m3 of oak which works out at 191 euro per cubic metre. So about a 10% price difference between the two.

At that price I am thinking the thortons eco blaze hardwood briquettes are a better option. 2 x 12 pack for €10. Put 2 on top on a bed of supertherm and crazy heat. Flame for about 30 mins and then red glow for another 90mins or so and still loads of heat after that. The supertherm has burnt to nothing the next morning - with ordinary blocks there is always bits left.

€150 euro would give you decent amount (30 packs) - downside is bit of plastic waste with the wrapping and have to collect them yourself or order larger load from somewhere like eco logs. Think their smallest order is 48 packs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

cathy427 wrote: »
    At that price I am thinking the thortons eco blaze hardwood briquettes are a better option. 2 x 12 pack for €10. Put 2 on top on a bed of supertherm and crazy heat. Flame for about 30 mins and then red glow for another 90mins or so and still loads of heat after that. The supertherm has burnt to nothing the next morning - with ordinary blocks there is always bits left.
    i used to use supertherm along with wood but i have ditched the supertherm now as the small ovoids from easy glow are just as good as supertherm, i got a ton delivered recently and its a big saving

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭cathy427

OmegaGene wrote: »
    i used to use supertherm along with wood but i have ditched the supertherm now as the small ovoids from easy glow are just as good as supertherm, i got a ton delivered recently and its a big saving

Thanks - a ton would last us around 3 winters and dont have the storage space hence why I went to the local 20kg bags. 10 in the first delivery and then a top-up of 5 or 6. depending on how spring is going

Edit as this is the firewood, was using local "seasoned" wood with the supertherm other years and it was hit and miss hence moving to the consistency of the eco logs. Stove glass is clean with one wipe after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you.

I am based in Limerick city.
    limnam wrote: »
    Have a read through the thread there's been a few deals mentioned recently

maybe add where you're based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

lenscap wrote: »
    The ones I recommend are the Rocket Blazers.

I have burned wood (and coal combination) in my stove since 2012. I have tried all the different type of sawdust logs I could buy and these rocket blazers are the best, IMO.

I have used timber logs from different guys and using a moisture meter but I gave up as the quality?moisture was inconsistent.

I tried kiln dried wood from a supplier in midlands and found it burned too quick, even with my stove controls.

For me the best value were the rocket blazers.

You can buy sample packs on the website and see for yourself.
    How do the Rocket Blaze and the All Night Long compare? Which would you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

I got another order of timber from surefire wood about 2 weeks ago. I went with 40 woven bags this time instead of 60 as I will be getting coal soon so need some storage room for that. The bags are handy for carrying into the shed. Says on the website the 40 bags equates to 1.1m3 stacked volume and 1.6m3 loose volume. The log size is a bit larger than last time at 10 inches but thats ok as using them in open fire. The wood is a mix of ash, beech, chestnut, and oak. Quality is top notch again, no wet logs and no softwood thrown in on the sly. 275 is definitely not the cheapest but I am satisfied considering the quality. Lighting the fire most nights now. I managed to fit 18 bags in my large log store beside the fire so the order will keep me going for the winter and on to the next. Another plus point is the timber is not imported its all locally sourced and processed in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Thinking of buying this, seems like good value.
    We have 2 wood burning stoves.

Any opinions on whether this is good value / reliable company?

https://www.buyfirewooddirect.ie/product/kiln-dried-ash-logs-large-crate/

Large Crate – Kiln Dried Ash Logs
    €114 / per m3
    In Stock
    €295.00

Kiln dried Ash 8-16 % moisture
    Crate ext. dim: 1.6 m (h) x 1.18m (w) x 0.88m (d)
    Approx. 2.5 Cu m loose vol.
    Cut to 25cm length
    Price incl. 13.5 % VAT & nationwide delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭TTTT

biebiebie wrote: »
    Thinking of buying this, seems like good value.
    We have 2 wood burning stoves.

Any opinions on whether this is good value / reliable company?

https://www.buyfirewooddirect.ie/product/kiln-dried-ash-logs-large-crate/

Large Crate – Kiln Dried Ash Logs
    €114 / per m3
    In Stock
    €295.00

Kiln dried Ash 8-16 % moisture
    Crate ext. dim: 1.6 m (h) x 1.18m (w) x 0.88m (d)
    Approx. 2.5 Cu m loose vol.
    Cut to 25cm length
    Price incl. 13.5 % VAT & nationwide delivery

1.6m x 1.18m x 0.88m = 1.66m³
    That's external dimensions so actually less.

€295 ÷ 1.66m³ = €177.50 per m³

Some seriously misleading advertising on that site.

Anyone else use wood briquettes? How did you find them? Are they ok on their own, i.e., no coal mix? Want to get away from coal.

Kiln Dried Hardwood (100% Kiln Dried Ash)
    Hand Stacked Volume 1/4m3
    Net Weight 100KG
    Moisture Level Below 15%
    Log Length 25cm, Diameter 7cm - 14cm
    Bag Dimensions 45cm x 45cm x 90cm
    Hand Packed In A Bag For Better Value

Price = €75 /-

I am a first time buyer. Is it good price?
    Based in Limerick city.
    I have Vitae Stove 6kw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kiln Dried Hardwood (100% Kiln Dried Ash)
    Hand Stacked Volume 1/4m3
    Net Weight 100KG
    Moisture Level Below 15%
    Log Length 25cm, Diameter 7cm - 14cm
    Bag Dimensions 45cm x 45cm x 90cm
    Hand Packed In A Bag For Better Value

Price = €75 /-

I am a first time buyer. Is it good price?
    I have Vitae Stove 6kw.

That is just 0.18m3 of wood, it is a very small volume that would last perhaps a month if burning 2 fires a week. And at 75 euro it is very expensive, a cubic metre of it would cost almost 400 euro whereas you can get the same volume in a crate for around 200-250. So no not a good price really. Where is it from?

It's from ecofuel.ie

Thank you for taking your time and explaining how wood prices are at present.

Can you recommend a seller please? It's a semi D house and hoping to light fire twice a week.

Also, we don't have garden shed. Is it safe to store them up in utility room?
    That is just 0.18m3 of wood, it is a very small volume that would last perhaps a month if burning 2 fires a week. And at 75 euro it is very expensive, a cubic metre of it would cost almost 400 euro whereas you can get the same volume in a crate for around 200-250. So no not a good price really. Where is it from?

It's from ecofuel.ie

Thank you for taking your time and explaining how wood prices are at present.

Can you recommend a seller please? It's a semi D house and hoping to light fire twice a week.

Also, we don't have garden shed. Is it safe to store them up in utility room?

If lighting 2 fires a week (like myself) then Id say you need a crate of at least 1m3 and better 1.2m3 to get you through till March. The 0.9m3 crate of oak on that Ecofuel website is 275 whereas you can get 1.2m3 of oak delivered from Monahans in Straffan for 270. Other suppliers to check are Co-op, Surefirewood and your local fuel merchants.

If you know you're going to be burning firewood every winter then an outdoor log store or garden shed is a good investment. You could store in your utility room but I would imagine logs stacked up against a wall are going to scratch and mark the paintwork. Its also a lot of heavy wood so if you have children around it might not be the best idea.

If lighting 2 fires a week (like myself) then Id say you need a crate of at least 1m3 and better 1.2m3 to get you through till March. The 0.9m3 crate of oak on that Ecofuel website is 275 whereas you can get 1.2m3 of oak delivered from Monahans in Straffan for 270. Other suppliers to check are Co-op, Surefirewood and your local fuel merchants.

If you know you're going to be burning firewood every winter then an outdoor log store or garden shed is a good investment. You could store in your utility room but I would imagine logs stacked up against a wall are going to scratch and mark the paintwork. Its also a lot of heavy wood so if you have children around it might not be the best idea.
    Would you hazard a guess how much wood briquettes it would take for the winter if lighting the fire every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Would you hazard a guess how much wood briquettes it would take for the winter if lighting the fire every day?

Impossible to answer that without knowing what sort of fire or what 'every day' constitutes.

I honestly couldnt as Ive never used them. You could buy a few bags from your local garden centre and burn a couple of fires to work it out, from now to the end of March is around 150 days. It also depends on how many hours per day you have the fire burning as well. Obviously garden centres tend to have the highest prices so if buying in bulk for the whole winter then definitely shop around the fuel merchants as it wouldnt be economical getting them from a garden centre.

Thanks a million.

I looked at Monahans and found Birch wood bit cheaper. Is it due to the amount of heat produced by birch wood? It's for 250€ for 1.2 m3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Birch is a hardwood, but will burn faster than ash or oak as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

For anyone around Galway direction got 1 cubic metre
    of kiln dried ash from connolly sawmills in turloughmore for €130. They will deliver around co Galway region if taking minimum 2 metres for €260. It's the finest of wood and near half the price of what ecofuels charge.

Thanks a million.

I looked at Monahans and found Birch wood bit cheaper. Is it due to the amount of heat produced by birch wood? It's for 250€ for 1.2 m3.

yeah as the other poster said birch will burn quicker than ask or oak so you get less heat overall. Also silver birch can be sparky with little pops and explosions when the bark burns, which is probably not good for stove glass doors in the long term.

If you're spending 250 on a supply for the winter its worth spending the extra 20 quid to get oak or ash IMO. Have a google around, you might find some other supplier that is doing 1.2m3 of oak or ash for 250, they were last year but prices seem to have crept up somewhat this year. Just make sure they are advertising it as kiln dried to less than 20% moisture.

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

I am completely new into this area of woods and I will get the Ashwood so. But before that I need to buy a garden storage.

How's this garden box?
    https://www.diy.com/departments/keter-store-it-out-ultra-wood-effect-plastic-bike-store/7290106922471_BQ.prd

yeah as the other poster said birch will burn quicker than ask or oak so you get less heat overall. Also silver birch can be sparky with little pops and explosions when the bark burns, which is probably not good for stove glass doors in the long term.

If you're spending 250 on a supply for the winter its worth spending the extra 20 quid to get oak or ash IMO. Have a google around, you might find some other supplier that is doing 1.2m3 of oak or ash for 250, they were last year but prices seem to have crept up somewhat this year. Just make sure they are advertising it as kiln dried to less than 20% moisture.

Thanks all.

I am completely new into this area of woods and I will get the Ashwood so. But before that I need to buy a garden storage.

How's this garden box?
    https://www.diy.com/departments/keter-store-it-out-ultra-wood-effect-plastic-bike-store/7290106922471_BQ.prd

That’s big money

Knock up a few pallets and some tarp
    Or get a wooden storage unit like I linked the other day, they can be purchased on eBay quite cheaply

The bike store you linked is 2.6m3 so more than enough room to hold 1.2m3 of logs. But agree its pretty expensive at £262, would likely be about 300 euro in B&Q here.

This is the log store I have, it holds exactly 1.2m3 in two rows stacked well. iirc I paid 179 for it last year, it came flatpacked and took about 30 minutes to put together. Its open on one side but thats fine so long as you face it away from prevailing winds and rain. The bottom outside row of logs gets a bit wet with rain splashes hitting the ground and bouncing back up but its not a big deal.
    https://www.woodford.ie/product/log-store/

Otherwise this company sells a lot of logstores.
    https://www.vidaxl.ie/catalogsearch/result?q=log&sls=2
    I have an indoor one by them which is great but cant comment on the outdoor ones or how long they would last in Irish weather. Ive my own one varnished and weather sealed and will top that up every 2-3 years.

Whatever you're going for just make sure to calculate the cubic metres of it so you know the 1.2m3 of ash logs will fully fit inside it. Better to over spec it than under.

I have a big attic with loads of empty space.

Is it safe to store firewoods up in the attic?

You could but I wouldnt advise it at all. That amount of wood is going to weigh 400kigs+ and I doubt rafters in an attic are designed for withstanding those kind of loads, you dont want to be lying in bed and 400kg of logs comes crashing through the ceiling. It would probably also make your house insurance void from a fire safety point of view as there would be electrical cables running nearby. Also getting that amount of logs up and down attic steps would be a pain and you'll have dust and wood splinters dropping on the carpets below. No way would I do it myself, its asking for trouble from several different directions.

Its the one downside of burning logs compared to coal or briquettes. Logs are very bulky so need a fair bit of storage outside if you are buying them in bulk like a 1.2m3 crate. A log store or garden shed is definitely needed to store them, there lots of videos on Youtube of how to make them DIY for cheap if you want to go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

I built this easily enough from some 2x4, materials came in under 70 euro. There are lots of videos on Youtube with ideas.

I got the 189 euro pallet of ash and oak from Topline

530546.jpg

Good job Double C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Anyone else use wood briquettes? How did you find them? Are they ok on their own, i.e., no coal mix? Want to get away from coal.

Love them.

Huge heat output, hardly any ash to deal with.

You're right to get away from coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

Anyone managed to get their hands on the topline crate in the Dublin region? What store did you deal with?

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Love them.

Huge heat output, hardly any ash to deal with.

You're right to get away from coal.
    Thanks. Which ones do you use?

Never having bought wood before I've no idea how much to get . Will order a pallet and see how I get on then know for next year.

Just to decide which one to get. I've seen Rocket Blaze and All Night Long mentioned, so probably one of those.

Advertisement