Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

stevek93 wrote: »
    Thanks Muahahaha but it appears your link is referring to the Leo scandal :D

haha here is the correct link
    https://surefirewood.ie/pages/comparison-guide

They are saying that their Super Jumbo Bag which is 1.6m3 translates to a stacked crate that has 1.1m3 of wood in it. So a 31% differential meaning just under a third of the bags contents is fresh air.

deisedav wrote: »
    I would be shocked if it even burned twice as long as the likes of oak. Some jokers those greenfuels lads

yeah olive burning three times longer than oak is quite the claim and looking at charts that state the various calorific values and BTUs of differing hardwoods I dont think the claim comes anywhere near to stacking up.

They're a wholesaler too and I noticed another fuel merchants in Dublin selling their olive wood who also have the same claim that it burns 3 times longer on their website. If that were true nobody would be burning oak or ash and we'd all be on the olive imported from South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah olive burning three times longer than oak is quite the claim and looking at charts that state the various calorific values and BTUs of differing hardwoods I dont think the claim comes anywhere near to stacking up.

They're a wholesaler too and I noticed another fuel merchants in Dublin selling their olive wood who also have the same claim that it burns 3 times longer on their website. If that were true nobody would be burning oak or ash and we'd all be on the olive imported from South Africa.

Wouldn't trust a word they say to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Complete unscientific, novice, simple comparision, know nothing of kW and moisture perentages etc, yet...

Tried the Rocket Blaze tonight. Very similar but different product to the Shimada. Rocket is a rougher log than the Shimada, coarser sawdust and more brittle. One broke when I was taking it from the shrink wrap. Don't know if that makes any difference. Difficult to make a performane comparison. They are very similiar in terms of heat and longevity but I thought the Shimada just shaded it.

I wouldn't keep them in the house - was planning a log rack for less trips to the garage - as there is a bit of a smell off them but not too strong. A bit like a grain store. Got used the smell after the couple of days but visitors asked what the smell was.

Ultimately, though they give off fantastic heat, they burn too quickly to be an only source of fuel for me. Too expensive for two stoves over the length of the winter. If you have money to burn (excuse the pun) these Pini Kay are the business.

I think I might be prepared to do with a bit less heat for a bit more longevity in the burning. Will try olive wood next, I am determined to get away from coal.

If you do find a bag of olive would be good to hear a report back on it.

This site has a good few indoor log stores, I have the one that is 150cm high and 50cm wide and it holds enough logs for about 6 or 7 fires which saves a lot of going in and out. I fill it up about every three weeks, its 10 minutes work and then you are sorted. It comes apart easy so you can flatpack it for storage in the summer. It also gives the logs a chance to dry further when they are indoors near to the fire. I found moisture dropping from 20% to around 12% after they had been indoors for 2 weeks before burning and as low as 8% if indoors for 3 weeks.

https://www.vidaxl.ie/catalogsearch/result?q=log%20store%20&sls=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Just looking at the olive wood. Greenfuels claim it burns 3 x longer that all other hardwood. Did you find that? Would we not all be buying it? 400kg pallet @ €230. Hard to compare with Rocket Blaze, weight v. units.

You could be right about the same product being sold by under different labels. I've found that in other industries too.

Is the log size, 15, 20, 25cm just for stove/fire size?

I bought both the compressed logs and the olive wood.
    I have a boiler stove and a smaller dry stove.
    I was not that impressed by the olive in the boiler, was testing it and didn't buy more
    I was impressed by the compressed logs in both stoves. It does expand but if you poke it, it will turn to dust

In the end I stick to good coal for the boiler, need the power to heat the rads, but I buy the compressed logs for the dry stove and am happy with them
    As for all night burning..no....

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry3

haha here is the correct link
    https://surefirewood.ie/pages/comparison-guide

They are saying that their Super Jumbo Bag which is 1.6m3 translates to a stacked crate that has 1.1m3 of wood in it. So a 31% differential meaning just under a third of the bags contents is fresh air.

Looking at their super jumbo bag, works out at 213 per m3 so not the best value...

Complete unscientific, novice, simple comparision, know nothing of kW and moisture perentages etc, yet...

Tried the Rocket Blaze tonight. Very similar but different product to the Shimada. Rocket is a rougher log than the Shimada, coarser sawdust and more brittle. One broke when I was taking it from the shrink wrap. Don't know if that makes any difference. Difficult to make a performane comparison. They are very similiar in terms of heat and longevity but I thought the Shimada just shaded it.

I wouldn't keep them in the house - was planning a log rack for less trips to the garage - as there is a bit of a smell off them but not too strong. A bit like a grain store. Got used the smell after the couple of days but visitors asked what the smell was.

Ultimately, though they give off fantastic heat, they burn too quickly to be an only source of fuel for me. Too expensive for two stoves over the length of the winter. If you have money to burn (excuse the pun) these Pini Kay are the business.

I think I might be prepared to do with a bit less heat for a bit more longevity in the burning. Will try olive wood next, I am determined to get away from coal.

Yeah, I am looking at getting away from coal too and comparing briquettes, air dried and kiln dried for the best bang for the buck and longevity of the fire. Interesting that you said it because when I had a load of them stacked besides the fireplace in the hottest room during the winter, some packs at the bottom started disentegrating, but then again we have an old house which suffers from dampness and mould issues. Olive could be the answer for us all.

Blowheads wrote: »
    I was not that impressed by the olive in the boiler, was testing it and didn't buy more
    I was impressed by the compressed logs in both stoves. It does expand but if you poke it, it will turn to dust

In the end I stick to good coal for the boiler, need the power to heat the rads, but I buy the compressed logs for the dry stove and am happy with them

So I found that too, burning wood by itself in the boiler stove is expensive no matter which wood you use, especially since I was going through 2 packs of Pini Kay briquettes at a minimum on a very cold night just to get the rads reasonably warm (level 2/3 on a TRV), with no overnight burning at all. The olive in your boiler could have burned too quickly, so again even the longest burning wood still doesn't cut it. The sitting room stove gives off massive heat that travels into the hallway overnight with just 1 pack of briquettes and half a bag (10kg) of coal.

Right everybody, I have looked around and the cheapest Kiln Dried Oak that I have found so far is from bioglow.ie at 355.20 for a 2.2m3 crate delivered or equates to 161.45 per m3. I have also spotted a 2m3 crate of Hornbeam (similar to Oak) for 290 euros collected from Coal Warehouse in Tyrone so may come in at 360 delivered which is also a great price.

https://www.bioglow.ie/kiln-dried-oak-logs

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Company/Coal-Warehouse-658154320965461/

• Advertisement

If you do find a bag of olive would be good to hear a report back on it.

This site has a good few indoor log stores, I have the one that is 150cm high and 50cm wide and it holds enough logs for about 6 or 7 fires which saves a lot of going in and out. I fill it up about every three weeks, its 10 minutes work and then you are sorted. It comes apart easy so you can flatpack it for storage in the summer. It also gives the logs a chance to dry further when they are indoors near to the fire. I found moisture dropping from 20% to around 12% after they had been indoors for 2 weeks before burning and as low as 8% if indoors for 3 weeks.

https://www.vidaxl.ie/catalogsearch/result?q=log%20store%20&sls=2
    Which particular one did you get? The link brings up all their log stores.

Where did the olive fall down for you? My two stoves are dry so will try the olive in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    Right everybody, I have looked around and the cheapest Kiln Dried Oak that I have found so far is from bioglow.ie at 355.20 for a 2.2m3 crate delivered or equates to 161.45 per m3. I have also spotted a 2m3 crate of Hornbeam (similar to Oak) for 290 euros collected from Coal Warehouse in Tyrone so may come in at 360 delivered which is also a great price.

https://www.bioglow.ie/kiln-dried-oak-logs

Ordered. :D

Edit: It appears they are coming via UK by courier but is says forklift required for unloading, it hardly means I need to have a forklift?

Which particular one did you get? The link brings up all their log stores.

This is the one I have here though there are various different sizes to fit different spaces. It is 0.18m3 so if you were ordering a 1.2m3 crate of logs you could fill it six times over the winter.

https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/8719883683027/vidaxl-firewood-rack-black-50x20x150-cm-steel

Its a okay price for what it is, i.e. softwood which burns a lot quicker than hardwood therefore you'll need a fair bit more of it to get the same heat However it doesnt say what species of wood it is, if it is kiln dried or air seasoned (if so for how long) or what moisture level it is all of which are important factors. There is a lot of these backyard sellers on Facebook, personally I think you're better off going with an established fuel merchants who will stand over the quality of the wood and be there winter after winter. You dont want to end up with wet wood that barely burns and produces little heat.

That aside in general I think you are better off buying and burning hardwood. Because softwood burns much quicker you need more of it which means more storage space and more work lugging it from outdoors to inside. Softwood is always cheaper but it can be a false economy imo.

This is the one I have here though there are various different sizes to fit different spaces. It is 0.18m3 so if you were ordering a 1.2m3 crate of logs you could fill it six times over the winter.

https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/8719883683027/vidaxl-firewood-rack-black-50x20x150-cm-steel
    That looks the business. Is 20cm deep OK?

Getting anxious to buy. Need to heat the place. Should have started researching this earlier.

Anyone who bought both say if kiln-dried logs burn any longer than the wood briquettes?

Would the 2.2m3 oak pallet from Bioglow posted by Chemistry and a pallet of Shimada get me through the winter? At a guess...

I have these two dry stoves,

Firefox, small stove

531937.jpg

Yeats, medium stove
    531936.jpg

Where did the olive fall down for you? My two stoves are dry so will try the olive in those.

What I was trying to say is that olive wood or and good kiln dried hard wood week be good for a dry stoves, but it you have Boiler stove heating rads you will need the power of good coal to do the job.
    Don't buy a load of wood expecting to heat a big boiler stove

Getting anxious to buy. Need to heat the place. Should have started researching this earlier.

Anyone who bought both say if kiln-dried logs burn any longer than the wood briquettes?

Would the 2.2m3 oak pallet from Bioglow posted by Chemistry and a pallet of Shimada get me through the winter? At a guess...

I have these two dry stoves,

Firefox, small stove

531937.jpg

Yeats, medium stove
    531936.jpg

That's a very open question. Are you lighting both, all day or evenings or weekends?
    Winter will be hard or mild
    House is insulated or drafty
    I'd find it hard to light two stoves every day.
    Why not buy a some local kiln dried wood and stone compressed logs from a supplier it Hardwear store (not a filling station) and test out how much will you burn through in a week

That's a very open question. Are you lighting both, all day or evenings or weekends?
    Winter will be hard or mild
    House is insulated or drafty
    I'd find it hard to light two stoves every day.
    Why not buy a some local kiln dried wood and stone compressed logs from a supplier it Hardwear store (not a filling station) and test out how much will you burn through in a week
    Would be lighting both most evenings, maybe 5 - 6 hours. Just want to get something in now but haven't bought wood before, and as long as I wouldn't be way off with 2.2m3 oak (or less of olive wood?) and 96 bales briquettes I'd be happy enough.

• Advertisement

stevek93 wrote: »
    Ordered. :D

Edit: It appears they are coming via UK by courier but is says forklift required for unloading, it hardly means I need to have a forklift?

That would be the driver that has a small forklift in the truck.

Would be lighting both most evenings, maybe 5 - 6 hours. Just want to get something in now but haven't bought wood before, and as long as I wouldn't be way off with 2.2m3 oak (or less of olive wood?) and 96 bales briquettes I'd be happy enough.

Ok, that amount of stuff would bring you a long way. Don't know why you'd light two stoves as you can't be in two places at once but each to their own.
    Maybe get a few bags of coal at that will last a very long time in a small dry stove

Yeah should definitely see ya through the season seeing as it's 5-6hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    That would be the driver that has a small forklift in the truck.

Okay great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

This is on the smaller end of the scale ,
    Dairygold co-op are doing buy 5 ,get 1 free on hardwood logs ,( beech ), at e5,50 for a 10 kg bag ..
    If you reckon that there's about 400 /450 kg in a m3, then it works out the equivalent of around 180/200 Euros per m3 . ..(if I've done my sums right )
    But you can just buy a smaller quantity..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I tried an experiment with the Rocket Blazers and Flamers Shimada in my stove over 4 days.

The stove (16kw) has a boiler running 11 rads. Pump kicks in within 30 mins of fire started. House is well insulated.
    The fire was started at 16:00hr with last fueling at 21:00hr. each night.
    The number of wood briquettes used each night was 7 and the amount of coal ovoids (Ecobrite) was 4kg.
    I had a thermometer in the same room as the stove and in the hall.
    I also had an oven thermometer attached to the front of the stove.
    I took charge of the fires over the 4 days and didn’t tell my wife and son what I was doing (they know I am always messing at the fire) so I could ask their impartial opinion about the heat.

Day 1.
    16:00hr. Broke with a hand hatchet, 2 Shimada briquettes so use as kindling with a firelighter and some coal ovoids to start the fire.
    16:30hr. Added some more coal ovoids.
    17:00hr. Put 1 Shimada into the stove with some coal ovoids.
    18:00hr Put 1 Shimada into the stove with some coal ovoids.
    19:00hr Put 1 Shimada into the stove with some coal ovoids.
    20:00hr Put 1 Shimada into the stove.
    21:00hr Put 1 Shimada into the stove.

Day 2
    Did the same as above with Rocket Blazers

Day 3
    Did the same as above with Flamers Shimada

Day 4
    Did the same as above with Rocket Blazers.

Each night at each time above I noted the stove oven thermometer, the same room, and hall thermometer.

All 3 thermometers recorded the same individual temperature at the same time each night.

I asked my wife and son did they notice any difference in the heating over the last 4 nights and they said no.

So my conclusion is both Rocket Blazers and Flamers Shimada are very good briquettes but need to be used with coal ovoids in a boiler stove.

The only difference is the bale and pallet weight.
    Blazers bale 10kg, Shimada bale 7.5kg
    The pallet of each is 96 bales.

That means the Blazers win (for me) with 1152 logs per pallet (€399), compared to Shimada with 960 logs per pallet (€395).

Rocket Blazers Flamers Shimada
    1 log weight 0.83 kg 0.75 kg
    Bale weight 10 kg 7.5 kg
    Logs in a bale 12 10
    Bales per pallet 96 96
    Weight in pallet 960 kg 720 kg
    No. of logs in a pallet 1152 960
    Online price €399 €395

lenscap wrote: »
    I'm going to give the All Night Long a try, see how they are against the other two. And see how close they are to the 15.5 hours burn time Green Fuels claim! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

I'm going to give the All Night Long a try, see how they are against the other two. And see how close they are to the 15.5 hours burn time Green Fuels claim! :)
    15.5 hours, record breaking stuff mmmmm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭Glebee

Think ill chance a mini pallet of those rocker blaze to try them out.. They seem great. Using timber and briquettes in a double sized stove at the moment. Burning wet timber is just a complete waste of time. Better off to store it up for a few years and get really benefit out of it then. Anyone able to recommend a good hoover unit for removing ashes? had a few different ones over the years and they were all crap..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I love them.

They dont even need firelighters to light - I break one in 2, and use paper and small kindling.

Be aware that they burn with a high flame, and then glow for some time.
    They still give off a lot of heat while glowing, so you dont need to see a roaring fire to get the heat.

Advertisement