Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've been on them in HK, I had to take up two seats because my legs couldnt slot into the 10cms of leg room. the same capacity wouldn't apply in Ireland because of the seat configuration. The average male adult height is 180cm here and that is accommodated in the seat layout.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some upstairs seats cannot take me at 193cm as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

Also, they absolutely eat the rear tyres as the single rear axle is in the wrong position and doesn't steer. It should be behind the double wheeled axle as with other tri-axle vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Interestingly enough, the new EWs have 2 rows of seats upstairs in the area in front of the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Weren’t older buses like that too? Maybe not the AXs but the older ones with the sideways seats? Open to correction…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

The PAs certainly brought the concept back, yes, although I remember being told that destinations in the back were a thing in the half-cab rear-entrance days! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Quite understandable they had them on the routemasters as people would be boarding them at the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Mercifully things have moved on from the view taken by Jack Higgins, former General Manager of CIE back in the 1980s, who was responsible for ensuring that the Bombardier KC and KD fleets had no rear number displays.

His expressed view was "no one wanted to know the number of the bus they had just missed".

A most extraordinary and retrograde approach.

The Olympians had two rows of seats in front of the stairs yes, one of which was very cramped.

Try most rows on a Dublin Bus EV - that model of bus was designed for midgets!

• Advertisement

I can't for the life of me understand why DB bought the EVs with bench seats which died out with most operators in the late 90s. Must be the only Enviro 400 models to be built with bench. Even the 05 VTs had bucket seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I seem to remember the Bombardier types were built without any route display on the side either, but were retrofitted with a reduced size scroll mounted inside a lower saloon window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

They tried to squeeze the same capacity of an AV/X into a shorter vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

We didn't have Routemasters here (for normal bus operations) but rear displays used to give more information than just the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

With the exception of the first 18/20 which downstairs have no barrier up for the wheelchair/ buggy area and have metres of leg room. There are a few knocking around on the 42 / 130 still.

My sincere apologies yes you are correct. I always used routemaster as the generic term for a rear entrance front engined bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I always find it funny when people lay all the blame at the NTA’s feet!

The VT class were introduced in 2006, the NTA wasn’t created until December 2009 and even then DB continued to be the ones buying buses for at least next 5 years or so, I think it was the GT class in 2018 when the NTA took over fleet purchasing.

So for more than 10 years, DB themselves decided not to buy anymore VT class buses, returning to dual axle after their experience with the VT’s. Which would suggest to me that DB themselves weren’t particularly happy with them. I would guess some combination of higher up front cost, very high fuel cost, going through tires quickly and poor dwell time made them unattractive for DB too.

You can easily see that from how much DB themselves avoided using them as much as possible, only using them at peak times for many years, etc.

Yes, now come 2021 or so, it is time to replace the VT class and this is now the NTA’s decision, but I suggest it isn’t straight forward decision now.

First of all, the NTA have rightfully made the decision that any new buses bought must be zero emission. There are very few triaxle EV buses, the only one I’m aware of is the Enviro500 and the NTA haven’t seemed to be impressed with the Enviro400.

But more broadly, tri-axles buses seem to have largely disappeared for the right hand drive market, even diesel ones. As far as I know, London Bus doesn’t have any tri-axle buses, they trialled a hybrid prototype back in 2018, but apparently it was a disaster, very unreliable and they didn’t buy any more.

Interestingly in Hong Kong, they have just introduced a new hydrogen powered triaxle and ADL have just a few months ago delivered the first Enviro500EV to the HK market. So it seems not all hope is lost.

But I do think it would be a much more difficult decision than people here realise. Tri-axles just aren’t popular in this part of the world and there just aren’t many options. Right hand drive double deckers are already a pretty unique niche market, zero emission tri-axles is like a super niche market, a niche of a niche. If they were to buy them, they would likely be a relatively small bespoke order and thus very expensive, while being high risk.

I don’t think it s a case that we will never get more, specially with the driver shortages, they are more needed then ever, however it certainly isn’t a simple question.

I was really referring to the replacement of the VT by SG Class buses which was 100% an NTA decision.

They didn’t increase frequency on the Blanchardstown corridor when they did that (unlike the N11 which had the 155 added), which has meant a real capacity reduction on the corridor.

That corridor in particular is crying out for tri-axle double decks.

They aren’t suitable for every corridor, but that is one where they certainly are beneficial, given the extra seats and the extended journey time to points beyond the Blanchardstown Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

All this talk about leg room reminds me of the old Yellow and Red IMPS which served some routes in Dublin. They were definitely designed for smaller folk. I still have indentation marks on my knees from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But the person you replied too didn't ask that. They specifically asked why they didn't buy more VT's:

Can anyone shed any light on why Dublin Bus never purchased any more VT buses? (the tri axle ones that can hold 120 people)

It was a DB decision not to buy more VT's, nothing to do with the NTA. While the VT's had more capacity, there are a difficult and very expensive bus for DB to operate and even DB management doesn't seem to really like them.

Now it is a totally different question to ask why the NTA hasn't replaced the VT class with a modern tri-axle.

And the answer to that is pretty obvious. Only this year are we starting to see zero emission tri-axles be slowly introduced in Hong Kong. So yes, they could potentially buy some now, but it would likely be extremely expensive.

Question for you, if tri-axles are so great, why doesn't London Bus have any? Why so few amongst operators in the UK? Why did DB dislike the VT's so much?

Maybe they aren't all what some make them out to be.

Yes, of course we have capacity issues that need sorting. Some new tri-axles might help with that, but they aren't the only option. Increase frequency of regular Double Deckers, BRT buses (should have never scrapped Swiftway plan) and of course more long term plans for Luas/Metro/etc.

I'm not saying we won't get more tri-axles, but it is a much more complicated issue then just buying some extra buses.

Most people outside of here would think it was DB that ordered the buses and not the NTA. I just took it that they meant replacements.

Well to explicitly answer that, 70 of them were enough to cover most of the 39, 39a, 46a and 145, which operate along corridors suitable for them - not every corridor is. They also provided enough cover for peak extras on some other routes.

As for London, most bus routes there are shorter than those in Dublin, and people generally use the bus for shorter journeys or to feed into or out of the rail and tube networks. The bus service plays a far smaller role than it does in Dublin in terms of longer distance commuting into the city centre.

With commutes of well over an hour by bus in Dublin for many (certainly for those living in Ongar and the Blanchardstown/Clonsilla estates), I would suggest that increased seating capacity is important. Standing on a train is one thing, but for that length of commute on a bus, a seat is important.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Also, it is worth also noting that the Department of Transport blocked Dublin Bus from operating the tri-axles on the Lucan corridor (due to the fear of legal action from Morton’s), despite the demand warranting it.

I suspect that the same would have been the case on the Swords corridor, so that would have precluded more purchases.

As you say, things are generally a lot more complicated than some people seem to think.

With commutes of well over an hour by bus in Dublin for many (certainly for those living in Ongar and the Blanchardstown/Clonsilla estates), I would suggest that increased seating capacity is important. Standing on a train is one thing, but for that length of commute on a bus, a seat is important.

This is an interesting point, which sort of points to some of the overlapping weirdness between DB and BE.

These longer routes feel more like commuter routes, which should really be covered by BE (or GAI) commuter services, which of course have double decker tri-axles coaches, which would be more suited to folks sitting for an hour or more.

Having these long routes using city buses designed for lots of standing and then them having lots of frequent stops along the way and then trying to squeeze city tri-axles onto them with their very poor dwell times is all a recipe for a poor service IMO.

These sort of commuter towns would be better served by an actual commuter service, double decker coaches and express routes with very limited stopping. But as you say that runs into disagreements with other operators.

As an aside, DB could of course also start operating commuter like coaches and buses, like GAI have, both city buses and commuter ones.

These services are also in areas closer to the city centre where coach services don't usually pick up. Coaches don't take standing passengers, can't take wheelchairs or prams as easily and are generally unsuitable for routes with lot's of stops. I don't really see the argument about seating if your travelling further out 9/10 times the bus empty out you won't be standing for a full hour.

For example on the 145/155 if your travelling out to Bray/Shankill from the city centre seats will usually become available once the bus passes UCD. I wouldn't really describe Ongar/Clonsilla as a commuter town they're suburbs of Dublin. Even the 103 with BE uses double deck city buses as opposed to coaches. Xpresso routes at peak times exist for this reason. They should really look into 3 door 2 staircase tri axles buses similar to Berlin. That would solve the dwell time issues these buses have.

The GAI commuter routes are former BE routes that GAI won the tender for they've no connection to the GAI city services. CIE companies I presume have the sensible decision made the decision not to compete with each other for tenders.

LMAO some one needs to tell BE they can't have standing passengers on coaches, because I've definitely been on BE coaches with people standing, for instance the coach from Cork to Killarney! It is the wild west outside Dublin.

BTW I just checked the legislation, it seems it isn't a bus/coach divide, rather if you have standing passengers or not. Even a coach can have standing passengers as long as it keeps the speed under 65km/h

Also Double Decker (and overdecker) coaches tend to have plenty of space for wheelchairs and prams on the lower deck, it isn't an issue for them.

Yes I understand why DB and BE don't compete, but I don't think that leads to the best outcome for the travelling public.

You are partially correct to carry standing passenger a bus/coach must also be plated to carry standing passengers. I'm not aware of any BE coaches that are plated to carry standing passengers (I stand to be corrected) if the coach was involved in an accident then it becomes an issue as per usual with these scenarios.

Wouldn't the pram have to be folded up on the likes of the LF and the VB. I know the likes of LF and VB with BE and GAI are low floor which makes it easier for a wheelchair to get on but the wheelchair user still has to be strapped in by the driver.

I don't how BE and DB competing would improve things for the travelling public. If anything I could probably see the two companies merging together in order to be better able to compete for future tenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was on an S8 this afternoon. Boarded in Dun Laoghaire and was heading for Sandyford. The route takes the bus straight through Monkstown, all the way up Monkstown Road to the 'T' junction where it meets the Rock Road at the top of Temple Hill. It then does a sharp left into Temple Hill, quickly followed by a right turn at the bottom of Newtownpark Ave. It then climbs the full length of Newtownpark Ave., through White's Cross and on to Sandyford.

The fun started when the driver had to do the left turn at the Temple Hill end of Monkstown Road. He drove forward very gingerly, came to a stop, reversed, drove forward, reversed and then took the turn. In other words, he did a five point turn. Where there was no obstruction or roadworks, the road was completely clear and he had the full width of the road to play with. If there was a truck or another bus behind him and on his tail, things could have gotten very interesting as, if he been unable to reverse, his manoeuvre had the capability of blocking the left lane of Monkstown Road and the outbound lane of Temple Hill, until the space behind him was cleared to give him room to reverse.

Was it just my (Go Ahead) driver and do TFI expect every driver on this new route to be able to take this turn in one go?

Edit: Corrected the route number.

I'm guessing you mean the S8 not the L25. Sounds like the driver didn't take the turn wide enough should've taken up the up the two lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Another couple of things to remember about Tri-axles is that once the recession hit the need for higher capacity vehicles reduced quite a bit. Also the company was practically broke. Indeed, there no new orders at all for 4 years, never mind just tri-axles.

Advertisement