Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

At least the app displays "scheduled" next to the expected time so you can draw the conclusion that it's not being real time tracked and thus unlikely to show. The RTPI displays at the bus stops display both scheduled and tracked with no distinction.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Poor form. I've been hearing of people being seen standing waiting at bus stops for buses that were never going to show.

The app is displaying departures as if tracking in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Transit is showing the same, so it looks like the data used by the API was never set up to account for no services on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Very weird alright . The rtpi signs on the 39a route were showing the "merry Christmas" message early today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Bsharp

The initial D&B tender consultation indicated they'd be happy to crack on with the first two. I'd agree with 2025 though; a lot of work, process and agreements to get through before work can start.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Clonmel probably have a leg up on everyone else tender-wise, they've done a pretty good job on the C2CC route so far.

After the Christmas Day shambles of the TFI app live-tracking non-existent buses, hopefully this is part of the solution:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I should perhaps note that Trapeze has been the supplier of AVL equipment on board Bus Eireann's (and by extension, the commuter branch of Go-Ahead) buses for a number of years now, certainly since 2015ish or so. I think they have done so as a continuation of the earlier Siemens system, as the same switch from Siemens to Trapeze took place in Kraków (PL).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sive60

I cycled the coastal cycle route from Blackrock to sandycove today.

I met no one else cycling bar two men in lycra on racing bikes.

This cycle lane is totally underutilised,I cycle it regularly so today isnt a one off.

It should most definitely be converted into a one way bus lane to allow some buses to avoid the traffic congestion in Monkstown.

Since the cycle lane was installed the traffic along the Blackrock by pass and Monkstown village is horrendous, so unpleasant.

The situation needs to be reviewed now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The depths of winter between Christmas and New Year's is probably not the time to be basing usage on.

By most other accounts, including the last official figures I saw, the cycle route there is well used, and perhaps more importantly, beloved by the locals.

Very slim chance of this being changed because of those two facts.

Its a very nice day today, for Dec, Dunlaoghaire very busy.

I cycled back too, met two men again on racing bikes, maybe the same two I saw at midday. One other man going way too fast on an electric bike, this is an absurd waste of space.

I cycle a lot on this route, its the same most days, its simply not used to the extent that its warranted particularly when the displaced traffic is causing congestion on nearby roads.

Allowing buses to access it from Temple Hill and onwards to Dunlaoghaire Town Centre makes much more sense.

I cycled on Georges street too, not impressed with the bus driver beeping at me, whats going to happen to cyclists if this street is pedestrianised, will bikes be banned.

Another daft proposal is removing buses from this street, its a dingy area at night town, taking buses and taxis off it at night wont help the cinema etc.

Where would I see the usage figures, I was presuming they arent available because it isnt utilised, as I said I usually meet very few people on it.

So glad the Sandymount cycle lane idea was shelved too, hopefully its not resurrected, we cant afford to give up another major road to a very tiny minority who want to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

They prefer to cycle on the footpath between the west pier and Seapoint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

tiny minority

I take it you don't cycle this during rush hour. Bike traffic jam at basically every light.

I remember reading about the report that was done on it, one of the universities did it, maybe TUD? UCD? One of them anyway. Said it was the best at maintaining the usage after the COVID cycling surge, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BusGuy

The F spine and the O spine are next in the phases. What's surprising is that Eamon Ryan is calling the chief of UCD and the NTA to speed up the process of rolling out the phases. I wonder if there's another plan map for the phases ahead? According to the Dublin City Council:

Phase 6 of the Bus Connects network redesign is currently being worked on, with several bus stops to be installed shortly ahead of launch. Phase 6 includes the orbital route O and the F spine. For current operations, the team has regular meetings with bus operators for traffic signal bus priority requirements.

Again, we did see the launch of the bus stop before Grounded at Bird Avenue on the S4, really annoying what they've done because there's no point in installing new bus stops if the next bus stop is across the road especially when the S4 is going to UCD! The stop in question is 7949: Roebuck Road, Windy Arbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No you have misread the article - the head of DCU was calling for the E Spine to be rolled out asap.

Let’s be honest, there’s not an awful lot that the Minister can do. The project can only be rolled out as the bus companies can hire and retain enough drivers to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Again, we did see the launch of the bus stop before Grounded at Bird Avenue on the S4, really annoying what they've done because there's no point in installing new bus stops if the next bus stop is across the road especially when the S4 is going to UCD! The stop in question is 7949: Roebuck Road, Windy Arbour.

I’m not sure what you are on about?

The next bus stop after stop 7949 on the S4 route is stop 878 further north along Clonskeagh Road, north of Wynnsward Drive.

They had to add a stop there to facilitate people going to Roebuck Road, which is no longer served by the orbital route.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi folks,

I see the W2 route run by go ahead is working away which is great news for a family member who lives in Clondalkin and we are due to meet her tomorrow in Tallaght- this would be quite regular so i have a couple of questions:

1) where do i see the full route timetable?

2) what app should i be using as i find the TFI app shocking and google maps keeps reverting to busses going into the CC and back out.

3) i notice there is also a bus going from the square towards my direction- the S6. If the family member got on the W2 at 16:13 (taking the timings off google maps), with the W2 due to take 16mins to get to the square (arrival 16:29) and an S6 due to leave at 16:32, would this just cost 2 EURO?

4) Can you take fold up bikes on busses nowadays?

thanks for any help folks?

• Advertisement

1) Here https://www.goaheadireland.ie/services/7778021/W2

2) Other apps available such as Next Bus Dublin. https://bustimes.org/ is also very good.

3) Yes all part of the 90 min fare

4) Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s great!

I didn’t know that about the bikes either. Bit of a game changer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sandymount is on the bay, a great cycle lane can be built by moving the wall at the beach back 5m and so ensuring that drivers, pedestrians and cyclists have their own space.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

It's within a Special Area of Conservation, Special Protection Area for birds and a UNESCO Biosphere. Whacking the wall back 5 meters from the road isn't just going to be a cake walk dig and go exercise. And that approach doesn't deal with the constrained spaces at either end of the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭p_haugh

In regards to point 2, another good app is Transit. Yes, it doesn't easily show the full timetables, but very nicely displays the bus locations by route/service and has a much nicer UI compared to TFI Live. It also has a journey planner built in that works quite well.

The free version is slightly limited (i.e. limits how many routes you can view near your location, limited trip options, etc.) but gets the job done for the most part. Also, the paid subscription has a 6 month trial period for those in Ireland, thanks to Dublin Commuter Coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

Are you sure the O spine will be rolled out with the F spine? My recollection was it would be when the E spine is rolled out (one reason being that the 46A would be gone, and with that service down the NCR toward Phoenix Park). I've been told that they hope to have the E routes running on 2024, but staffing isssues may push it out to 2025 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GRUF

I can't post the link as my account is too new but the conclusion of the report is of note:

CMR Walking & Cycling Overall, since the introduction of the CMR, there has been a large increase in cycling numbers along the route, with numbers still up c.115‐126% on pre‐pandemic times, while overall volumes of vehicle traffic and public transport passenger numbers are still down on pre‐pandemic levels. (Dated July 2022)

If you want to read the report, it is literally a google away. I would say you spent more time writing the comment than the time it takes to find it.

I am looking for current information, actually numbers cycling on the coastal mobility route.

Is there anyone monitoring the numbers on a daily or weekly basis.

Percentages mean very little really, ten people cycling it in an hour and then increasing to twenty is a big percentage increase, it doesnt actually mean there is a large increase in numbers cycling.

I know what my own eyes are seeing, huge congestion on adjacent roads, large numbers driving to Dalkey via Monkstown farm while Seapoint Ave is closed to traffic heading South.

Its an absurd waste of space especially with massive increases in population, apartments going up everywhere in DLR and very little road capacity.

I would be in favour of re opening it to traffic but thats probably not achievable.

It most definitely should cater for buses though.

To get people to use buses it has to be efficient snd cheap. I and many others dont want to sit wedged beside a stranger for long, I want the quickest route possible.

Buses stuck on Stillorgan park should be allowed to take a left turn onto Carysfort Ave into the cycle lane,that cycle lane is another absurd waste of space, very little usage again.

The bus then by passes traffic, joins the by pass again and takes a left turn and proceeds along Seapoint Ave to Dunlaoghaire.

When are we going to see common sense here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 GRUF

I'm struggling to find any reasoning here. Opening up the CMR or indeed the Carysfort Ave cycle track to buses would be pretty much nonsensical. Cyclists have shown time and time again that they don't feel comfortable sharing the road with vehicles, even if it is just a bus the odd time.

Regardless of that, there are no proposed bus routes along the CMR, and there is only 1 local bus proposed along Carysfort Ave.

You're complaining about congestion, which is almost entirely caused by single occupant vehicles, and you propose to help that even further by opening up more traffic lanes?

Either way, we are getting off topic. I only commented because you're being blatantly misinforming, and it's something I am against as a transport planner.

Advertisement