Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Who in their right mind would get the meandering route to the Airport when there's already quicker, more frequent options (16, 41 or A spine whenever that launches), other than the odd tourist not paying attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I suspect that the councillor is referring to buses towards the city and not in the other direction.

While the article is clearly scaremongering with the 2024 local elections in mind, if the A4 isn’t routed via the airport when the A-Spine launches, then with a 50% cut in PSO services via the R132 serving the airport, people might well choose whatever comes first!

But that’s a long way off with the E-Spine launch being well ahead of the A-Spine changes.

He is clearly playing on people’s natural fear of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

I agree you'd be mad (or more likely clueless) to get the 19 or particularly the 24 between the city centre and airport. The 24 will be great for people living in Finglas and Glasnevin to get to the airport though.

The 16 with its Beaumont detour is scheduled to take about 45/50 minutes off peak/peak to O'Connell Street.

The 83 from Harristown to Bachelor's Walk takes 50/60 minutes off peak/peak according to the timetable (which is too optimistic). I could easily see the 24 taking 1 hour 30 minutes from the airport to the city centre at peak times. Church Street can be extremely slow.

EDIT: 24 not 23

Post edited by VG31 on

A small correction. It’s actually the 24 that will service the Airport.

The 23 will only go to Charlestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I think the intent is that the Swords-bound buses aren't losing capacity to Airport-bound passengers.

Although what they really should do is double the frequency of the A2; and turn the 22 into an A5 instead, since it's already earmarked to run at the same frequency as the A-spine.

• Advertisement

I understand what the intent was - but it’s not an acceptable solution to cut the Airport to city via the R132 PSO service by 50%. In fact it’s pure bonkers considering that the 16 and 41 are having loading issues at the Airport as it is.

Doubling the A2 would be overkill on the southern half of the Spine but perhaps operating a similar level of service on another radial route from the Airport as far as Merrion Square via the R132 might be a better idea.

Calling the 22 an A5 wouldn’t be a good idea. The whole idea of the Spine concept is that every “A” bus will cover the entire common part of the Spine, in this case from Whitehall Church to Terenure.

You have to remember that the A Spine serves south Dublin too!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I know I've said it previously, but this issue arises because there isn't a dedicated PSO airport service. The really should be some sort of AX service, PSO service direct to the airport via the port tunnel (and yes yes I know!).

Direct tourists to the AX/Airlink/Aircoach/DublinExpress, the other services are for locals/employees getting to and from the airport.

If via the Port Tunnel gets blocked, then perhaps a limited stop service, Airport -> Drumcondra Train Station -> City.

If that still isn't "acceptable" then an A2C or AC as you mention LXFlyer, operating all A2 stops into the city.

This mess exists because of this obvious gap in the network to one of the most important locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

A4 would be better through Glen Ellan Road North and then via Murrough Road and then via the Airport. I would scrap new BC 22 and make A5 from terminus via Glen Ellan Road West, Rathbeale Road, River Valley Road to follow BC 22 and then in the South take the BC 80 route. 80 could instead go to North as bus BC 10. BC 80 and BC 10 frequency is nearly the same, just need to match BC 80 to BC 10 Mon-Fri 7am and 4pm frequency. Then BC 10 can be scrapped. That, of course, would require more drivers and buses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW just thinking about this a bit more. Maybe a semi stopping PSO airport route with just the following stops:

• Airport
    • Down the M1 no stops, skip Santry
    • Collins Avenue stop to interchange with the N4
    • Griffith Avenue stop to interchange with N2
    • Drumcondra Train station stop
    • North Circular Road stop to interchange with O route
    • City Center

Thinking about it, it would make for a great route, with lots of great interchanges on the €2 90 minute fare. It would also help boost use of the orbital routes.

While perhaps just being a little bit slower and different enough from Airlink/Aircoach/DublinExpress to avoid problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

>You have to remember that the A Spine serves south Dublin too!

From the complaints I've already been reading on reddit already from those on the southside, I'm sure there's an area that can be served by an A5.

Similar to what's been suggested above by Citrus, convert the northside BC22 and the southside BC80 into an A5 — with the one change being leave the A5 on the spine route along Rathgar Road, and put the BC81 along Rathmines Road Upper and Highfield Road.

>Doubling the A2 would be overkill on the southern half of the Spine but perhaps operating a similar level of service on another radial route from the Airport as far as Merrion Square via the R132 might be a better idea.

Maybe it would be overkill, but I think it's far easier to have a single route that's known to be incredibly frequent that people know they can use to get to the airport. Also doubling is probably the only easy way to increase the frequency on the A2 without having to mess with the frequency of the rest of the spine to remain in sync with the clockface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I almost ejaculated with joy upon seeing this news. The commenters are straight in with "but cyclists!" too which is the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

It's definitely a positive move but red light cameras would be even better. The red light running is getting more and more blatant.

Yeah but I think the bus lane enforcement is more important for BusConnects to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Looking forward to the people who refuse to drive and park legally calling into Joe Duffy about their fine. Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

No detail yet but I really hope bus lane enforcement is in the form of bus "dashcams", that way the entire network would be under constant surveillance. Fixed position cameras would achieve little as once past one it will be open season on that stretch. The cameras wouldn't have to be mounted on every bus, even having them on 10% of the fleet coupled with serious fines would be enough to keep the vast majority of people honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Come again?

Cars accidentally straying into bus lanes (usually because the driver isn't able to handle the increased width of the SUV that they didn't need in the first place) is at least as big a problem as deliberate bus lane use. If a car has one wheel in a bus lane, and has driven too close to the car in front, then the bus is stuck there until traffic moves off. Some kind of rumble strips might help, without causing any inconvenience or danger to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭p_haugh

If I recall, the Dublin Bus CEO (might have been Ray Coyne, not Billy Hann) said that the cameras at the front of the bus would already work, and only a software update would be required to be able to utilize them for bus lane enforcement purposes. Can't remember where I read it, unfortunately.

The MTA in New York have already trialled bus lane enforcement through this method and it supposedly works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It would surely be a combination of both bus based and fixed position at key locations like bus gates and critical junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looking forward to those bus lane cameras. Some serious piss taking going on in parts of the city.

I also think they'll have a side effect benefit of reducing speeding as drivers commonly use bus lanes to overtake traffic that's free flowing but keeping to the speed limit.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yes, the biggest impediment here has been legislation which should now be resolved. The technology is largely there, although I'm sure effective implementation will need to be carefully teased through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Bus lanes are not a road safety issue. It is ridiculous to prioritise the convenience of bus operators over road safety.

not sure what you mean, but I don't think bus lanes cause any safety issues, the cameras will just stop assholes from hogging bus lanes when they shouldn't and free up the space for buses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I mean that the cost of cameras can be justified for road safety related issue like breaking red lights, if they can be afforded for bus lane monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭loco_scolo

Loosely related to this, but my anecdotal observations of the new 24/7 bus lanes on Drumcondra/Swords road is significantly higher compliance and faster bus service. Based on numerous trips both by car and bus.

Making them 24/7 takes away any ambiguity.... if you're driving in the bus lane, it's illegal, simple as. They should roll this out everywhere immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

All rules of the road are road safety issues - what you talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It's not for the convenience of bus operators; it's for the convenience of the thousands of people who rely on public transport. It shouldn't be necessary, but we are where we are.

They seem to have put up cameras up on Amiens St just past Connolly going out of town, does anyone know what these are for? They look like they've been put during the other works going on there atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Daith

There's always some car on Dorset St. I have some sympathy around deliveries, but it's such a busy road for buses it would be great if it could be better enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Can anyone explain why the TFI app is displaying bus departures as if they are actually being tracked on Christmas Day (never mind the vague 'scheduled') ?

• Advertisement

Someone in the NTA clearly did not update the timetables for today to “cancelled”.

Advertisement