Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

I don’t think anyone should have earphones in while driving, let alone those driving a ten tonne vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I wouldn't have a problem with the radio per say, it was the BLARING of it, the crap music on it and the singing along that made me shudder. I've shushed people who don't know how to use earphones also, I think it's animal like behaviouri wouldn't do that at home with other people present never mind in public with strangers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Most of them arent watered down though and should go through planning fairly easy but here we are 2 years deep. It's only 2 or 3 of the corridors that are significantly watered down, all south side and all in areas with highly agressive residents associations, the result is their footpaths have been cut down to nothing in the design, in Ballsbridge for example a wheelchair users will no longer be able to access a number of places because of sub 1m wide footpaths proposed. This is what locals wanted apparently. If that cuts the mustard with ABP then clearly ABP is not competent as these designs are not only non compliant thEy are grossly at odds with all standards and policies and should be conditioned back to the drawing board. That might mean those areas will have poor bus services for another 5 years, so be it but I'm hopeful a proper design will be implemented and not the tat thats been submitted for planning in certain areas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In terms of bus priority the southside ones will make a significant difference though, including the ones you’re commenting on, which given bus users far outnumber everyone else is kind of important, but especially the Rathfarnham / Templeogue corridor which suffers the slowest bus speeds in the city.

But the vast majority of bus drivers don’t do that, and your initial post was a bit harsh to be honest - most Dublin Bus drivers are decent hardworking people getting us all from A to B and have a hard enough job as it is without having to read sweeping statements like “Is anyone else finding bus drivers increasingly annoying?” here.

Every job has their bad apples, and fair enough you can pick on an individual, but tarnishing everyone with the same brush isn’t right or fair comment.

As someone who commutes five days a week on Dublin Bus and also at weekends, the bad experiences that I’ve had (in terms of staff interaction) are minuscule in number compared with the good ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

I drive for DB and use to drive for GAI. I've always had a radio as it makes it less stressful when I have it playing and great to listen to something when stuck in traffic. One day while driving an AX and the bus was full an a person standing beside the cab but behind the white line asked could I turn my radio up a little as they liked the song that was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭john boye

About 15 years ago (before we all had everything in our pockets on our phone) a particular driver on a local route would be listening to the live Premier League match on Today FM and shouting the latest scores from that and other games down the bus as they came in. It was great!

Drivers were getting booked for having radios a few years ago, I assume that's no longer the case?

They where, until drivers threatened to go on strike and the kinda backed down.

Sorry folks I'm going way of topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I thought weren't officially allowed use the radio but couldn't be displined for having one.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BusGuy

This is a bit unrelated but I saw an EW on the 15B the other day and I thought it was supposed to be on the 122 and the 123?

It's meant to be 15A/B and 123 but since Summerhill are have some trouble with them at the minute they decided to keep them near the garage. But as more come to the garage the will br on every route in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

Does anybody else think the EWs look…terrible?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,239 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Lads, just to go back to the Swords Road x Collins Avenue junction layout, can I just remind that—as far as I remember to have been the case in the last 7 years—the 16 didn't actually use the lay-by stop (that's currently on the N4) as an intermediate stop on Ballinteer/Airport journeys, but only as a starting stop for the Collins Ave/Ballinteer shorts that run the counterroute and swung around to Whitehall to beat the Shantalla Road traffic.

I'm of course open to correction, but as far as I remember from my DCU firstie time, I don't think that's been an intermediate on the 16 for a long time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Personally, I think they look great, modern looking front end. But of course a very subjective thing.

I actually got to ride one a few weeks ago, been meaning to write up about it when I have a minute!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Buses are finally starting to look like what Transport Tycoon told us they would in the 00s. Just waiting for widespread use of maglevs to complete the predictions!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

the front display looks terrible in particular.

We've spent a lot of money in the past meticulously changing the dot matrix displays on the AV/AX to orange LEDs.

Now they're abandoned for a white text.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Don’t the PA class also have white displays? Personally I think it looks better then the weird orange colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

The resolution of the white displays always seems much sharper and legible to me, similar to how white LED street lights provide much more sharp and clear illumination versus older orange sodium vapour ones.

It may well be the case that orange displays aren't even offered as an option on new builds anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The same front end as the BE VWDs. They're nice enough looking buses but I prefer the look of the PAs myself.

Ah, right! I knew it was different but somehow familiar, couldn’t put my finger on it. Being from Cork originally I’ve been on the VWD’s many times when home, though they would have had the red and white BE colour scheme, so that would explain it thanks.

On the display, yes I was out for a walk earlier and saw both an older bus with an Orange display and a PA with white display and the white display was definitely more legible. That was in daylight sun, might be different at night, must keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have some more information about my local bus stop which has the L25 route serving Annaville Terrace to Dún Laoghaire. This is known as bus stop no. 7421. in Newtownpark Avenue in Blackrock.

The latest photograph of it is here below taken earlier tonight.

It turns out this bus stop has now been updated with the new TFI bus pole in the above photo.

It previously had the old Dublin Bus stop on it since it was replaced with the new pole earlier this week. The L25 route has also been added to it's bus stop flag. However there are no printed timetables available on this stop at all. It just has a TFI notice on it written in both English and Irish on it's carousel.

Also; there is still is no online real time information available for the L25 stopping here yet when I looked up the TFI Live app or the TFI Journey Planner website either. Why is that information still not available when the L25 has been out in service for nearly 3 weeks now coming up to this Sunday. That is very frustrating.

I haven't checked the other poles which had the old Dublin Bus stop poles located along that stretch from Stillorgan Park Road to Rowanbyrn yet. I would assume that they have all been updated with the new TFI pole either with timetable information or not for each stop by now. If TFI have been updating them this week. They must have replaced them all replaced within a day or two of work and then that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭TranslatorPS

There is a major shift towards white displays on the continent as well—disability advocacy groups generally do agree that they are easier to read than orange displays.

Yes it's really been an overnight change. You see them on most new buses now in the UK.

I was out walking after dark last night and caught both an EW and older bus less then 30 seconds apart. The white display is definitely clearer and easier to see at distance at night too.

BTW I also noticed that the EW has a full width display on the back, so it displays both the route number and destination, while the older bus had just a small display that showed just the destination. Looking online, it looks like the PA introduced this wider display on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Can anyone shed any light on why Dublin Bus never purchased any more VT buses? (the tri axle ones that can hold 120 people)

You would have to ask the NTA - they make the decisions about PSO fleet purchases.

And this is probably one of their poorer decisions to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

I agree. They'd make a big difference on busy routes now. In Hong Kong, the Enviro500 tri axle can hold 140 passengers. That's 50 more than a normal Dublin bus. Would be great if we had them here on busier routes.

Advertisement