Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think it frackin' rocks.

Always thought the existing menu was like, sooooo, 2002.

The jury's out on the "always there" business. Maybe if the height was a few pixels less...
    Actually no - I like it.

<anal>
    Can a similar grey border to the one that (oft times) appears in the dropdown be added to the left of the "navitem" cells when hovered? At the moment it looks a tiny bit off because there's no border there.
    </anal>

Great job. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm viewing this on my eee 1000 and it pretty much takes up the whole screen when I highlight one of the categories. Anyone else tried it on a netbook?

If it's an optional thing then awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Goodshape wrote: »
    I like the functionality of it. Definite improvement there.

Couple of things ::

--- I don't like the 'scroll with the page' feature. Bit distracting when trying to read.

--- It's all a bit chunky. Though maybe that's more to do with this big blue theme it's on (I use 'Classic' which is a little more subdued).

Good work though!

//edit.
    Actually, I could totally get over the 'scroll with the page' thing. It is handy. I think it's just that sky blue which draws my eyes to it. Moar themes pls!

I really like the scroll with page feature, as it saves you the scroll back to the top to go elsewhere. Otherwise as people have noted the look and feel is a little chunky and the music drop down jumping to left is a bit of a long way to mouse too. These are minor though and I'm sure can be easily reviewed once the concept is agreed.

Only other issue I see on IE8 and vista is a slightly longer than expected delay for the pop up. It's not *too* slow, but it is slower than the old style drop down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

White space isn't always a bad thing. If it's the difference between working for different resolutions, then by all means shrink it a little, but I think it's a lot nicer than a solid block of small text.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

For anyone reporting that the Music menu is showing up off left, can you post your browser version, OS and screen resolution?

Will help narrow down the problem because it displays as intended on the systems I have to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Looks good here on Ubuntu/Firefox 3/1280x1024

Like the scroll with the page thing, but perhaps slightly smaller and maybe with a semi-transparent background would look good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Really liking it. Good job Ross!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I like it. Nice work Ross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive just switched over to it. Ill see how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I like it. One thing is that the new menu bar doesn't seem to appear on the front page (i.e. going to http://boards.ie/?filter=subbed etc.). Apart from that, it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Nice, I could get used to using that very quickly.

One comment on "Search" is there no advanced search option any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I like it and will be sticking with the beta! Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hagar wrote: »
    Nice, I could get used to using that very quickly.

One comment on "Search" is there no advanced search option any more?
    If you click on the actual search option itself it brings you to the advanced search. Might be too subtle, I was going to add an "advanced >>" link beneath the search box but held off to see what the reaction would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I like it.

Off topic, I would love to see CuLT quote Ross at some stage :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ross wrote: »
    For anyone reporting that the Music menu is showing up off left, can you post your browser version, OS and screen resolution?

Will help narrow down the problem because it displays as intended on the systems I have to hand.

IE8, premium vista and 1280x800.

the subbed and science drop downs are one column wide for me and display correctly just below the name.

Music is one column + one entry for traditional in second column for me and displays docked on left.

All the others are wide enough so that the either jump off the left or right side of screen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I really like that when I scroll down I dont have to scroll back up to get to the top bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

too big - sucks

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The stats page on the boards.ie dropdown isnt there yet.
    Also there is no option to select other styles in that dropdown. Has it moved? I like it overall. A bit freaked out by the way it gives the forum dropdown list so much whitespace. Also Rec as a category might need a bit of tweaking to make it a bit more linear. It's a bit all over the place to look at. I don't like the way AH is over there in the corner. It means that tiny bit more mouse movement to get there. However on the other hand the thunderdome has been rather usefully hidden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Top job Ross - very nice :)

Working fine and looking great on FF3/XPP 1280*800

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Too, big, flashes on my 1600x1200 WinXP laptop Firefox 2.x

Many 3.9" to 7" are 800x480

Archos 605, 705, 5, 7 and 5-3G

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

6th wrote: »
    I really like that when I scroll down I dont have to scroll back up to get to the top bar.

Yeah. I love it. Ironically I keep flicking the scroll wheel on my mouse to get back to the top. Old habits die hard I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

seamus wrote: »
    Initial impression is that every "tab" should be the same width. The "Boards.ie" and "Search" perhaps should be a bit larger, but all of the rest of them should be the exact same width, regardless of the length of the name.
    That was my first thought. The 'padding' around the names seems to be based around the length of the name, with shorter names having having less padding than longer ones. The other way around would have made more sense imo.
    Ross wrote: »
    That happens to me for Arts, Games and Hosted (Ubuntu 9.04, FF 3.0.10, 1920x1200).

[edit] Actually, just noticed, Rec, Regional, Soc, Sports and Tech are actually right aligned for me too. The easiest way of seeing this is by decreasing your text size until it's as small as possible (ctrl and minus on FF).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I love it. Some minor comments, but other then that, excellent job. :)

- The category title in Red, doesnt look very good. Any other ideas here?

- Is it normal that a forum may start at the bottom with its subforums in the next column? Personally I would prefer at least one sub-forum under the forum name. I assume its a layout issue due to different browser widths.

- Agree with others regarding width of each category name on the menu. I think the divider between Boards.ie link and Search link is fine.

- Any chance getting private forums showing if your a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The very first thing I noticed when I loaded it up were the uneven tab sizes across the menu. It just looks lopsides when you have arts, biz and edu squashed together in the left with region and science pretty far apart.

Maybe I'm just used to the old way too much, but is there any chance the waiting time when waiting for the menu to drop down can be decreased? Not a huge issue though.

I do love how it scrolls with you though.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Vista + IE 7.0.6001 has the music bug...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

DeVore wrote: »
    Vista + IE 7.0.6001 has the music bug...

DeV.

Ditto, Xp pro IE 7.0.5 1280 x 800

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement