Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

River City Ransom is a classic and it's a collaboration between WayForward and the Kunio developers. It's probably going to be great considering Double Dragon Neon was a very deep and fun beat'em up despite the dodgy visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Looks and sounds great. What's wrong with the visuals? Too bubbly? Reminded me of Totally Spies a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    River City Ransom is a classic and it's a collaboration between WayForward and the Kunio developers. It's probably going to be great considering Double Dragon Neon was a very deep and fun beat'em up despite the dodgy visuals.
    I know, right? I don't understand why Neon got such a mixed reception either, I thought it was pretty damn good entry in the series.

This is making me want to go back to the Scott Pilgrim game again. Such a shame they can't sort out the licencing for it so it can get a proper re-release.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Looks and sounds great. What's wrong with the visuals? Too bubbly? Reminded me of Totally Spies a bit.
    Just not a fan of the style. Looks like old flash animation. I feel the same about the new streets of rage and the new battletoads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I played their most recent (I think?) Shantae game. Passable platformer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not played the latest one but the previous Shantae games were excellent takes on the Monsterland/Metroidvania formula.

I wouldn't compare the visuals in this game to SoR4 and Battletoads (which looks totally over animated and way too busy) but can see how people wouldn't like the visuals. I don't hate them, but don't love them either.

It's hard to explain but old school pixel art is working within limitations to make something look amazing whereas this is working without limitations and purposefully trying to make the game look old. It ends up look neither old nor modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I'd love a beat em up with guilty gear or dragonball fighter z style visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Im trying to find an old thread about a faulty ps4 or might even have been a 3. It was about returning it within the guarantee time and gamestop trying to pass the buck and insisting that the customer must deal with Sony themselves. Does it ring a bell with anyone? A link to it would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

weiland79 wrote: »
    Im trying to find an old thread about a faulty ps4 or might even have been a 3. It was about returning it within the guarantee time and gamestop trying to pass the buck and insisting that the customer must deal with Sony themselves. Does it ring a bell with anyone? A link to it would be great. Thanks.

That was a thing with Sony a few years ago, once it was purchased then it had to go back to Sony themselves. Apple were the same with their products.

I'm not sure if it's the same procedure nowadays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/faulty-goods/
    Your contract is with the retailer or business that sold you the item so if there is a fault, it is up to them to fix it and not the manufacturer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pretty sure the return to retailer is 14 days and has to be unopened, any guarantee issues have to go through the manufacturer, unless it's Hire Purchase or Credit or something like that, as you don't 'own' the product until the final payment.

Its actually a friends machine. He bought it in November. I believe since the most recent update the machine wont turn on.
    I had already sent him the above link regarding the responsibility lying with the retailer, but im thinking now that it might be quicker and far less hassle to get Sony to collect it and repair/replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pretty sure the return to retailer is 14 days and has to be unopened, any guarantee issues have to go through the manufacturer, unless it's Hire Purchase or Credit or something like that, as you don't 'own' the product until the final payment.

No they don't. The Supply of Goods and Services Act covers faulty items in Ireland.

Its actually a friends machine. He bought it in November. I believe since the most recent update the machine wont turn on.
    I had already sent him the above link regarding the responsibility lying with the retailer, but im thinking now that it might be quicker and far less hassle to get Sony to collect it and repair/replace.
    It absolutely won't be less hassle sending it to Sony yourselves. Gamestop have a legal obligation to sort faulty products sold by them, and to do it in a timely manner. Don't go letting them off the hook.

I know you're right. Its why i came in originally looking for the old thread, so that we could go back to them fully armed. Pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

It absolutely won't be less hassle sending it to Sony yourselves. Gamestop have a legal obligation to sort faulty products sold by them, and to do it in a timely manner. Don't go letting them off the hook.

Because that's probably the only reason to buy from them rather than have it delivered by some online store for a lower price.

Cordell wrote: »

Because that's probably the only reason to buy from them rather than have it delivered by some online store for a lower price.
    Hardware is the only thing i ever buy off them as i can put a deposit down and pay of between first payment and release. Ill be doing it with the PS5.
    Even though it pains me to give them any business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retailers responsibility but nothing to say they can't have that responsibility fulfilled by someone else; manufacturer or 3rd party repair centre.

While Ireland never signed up for the 2 year mandatory warranty as out consumer rights place the burden on the retailer most manufactures still give the 2y for all EU, if you had a 2y1d PS4 break and Sony don't want to know about it then the retailer still has a responsibility if you go through them or direct.

Most retailers will just be sending it back to manufacture themselves, they won't be in any rush to send it off and when it does come back it'll sit on a self in the back until someone bothers to tell you.

So my friend has been in touch with the shop again and their line is now. He cant prove that the fault was there at manufacture then its not gamestops responsibility. Infuriating!! How can such a thing be proved??

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No they don't. The Supply of Goods and Services Act covers faulty items in Ireland.

Correct, but the guarantee is from the manufacturer, not the retailer. So the guarantee is from Sony, not GameStop who just sell it.

Think of it this way, the manufacturer, Sony, have a 1 year guarantee on the PS4. So say I purchase a PS4 on January 1st, 2019. Sony guarantee that will work for 1 year, not GameStop. GameStop give me a 14 day return policy, but the guarantee is with Sony, and stays in force for the duration of the guarantee. So I sell my PS4 to my mate on July 1st, 2019. On July 2nd the disc drive stops working. My mate then has to go to Sony, not GameStop.

I'm open to correction, but I had war with 2 companies over this, Flexirent tried to pawn this off on me, but as it was a Hire Purchase I deal with them, not the TV manufacturer (much to their dismay). But for straight up sales, the guarantee is with the manufacturer, unless it was an 'extended warranty' sold by GameStop, which I believe they don't do on new consoles, and would only apply after the expiration of the manufacturer warranty.

• Advertisement

So my friend has been in touch with the shop again and their line is now. He cant prove that the fault was there at manufacture then its not gamestops responsibility. Infuriating!! How can such a thing be proved??

They're fobbing you off. Ask for the manager. Tell them you know by the EU law that the contract is with the retailer and the product must last a reasonable time. If there's no nudge threaten small claims court. Also mention the threads here about faulty PS3 consoles and how people won small claims decisions based on the same thing. Search for PS3 threads and consumer rights and small claims court in this or PlayStation forum. If that doesn't work you might have to go to the small claims court but you'll almost certainly will win.

Correct, but the guarantee is from the manufacturer, not the retailer. So the guarantee is from Sony, not GameStop who just sell it.

Think of it this way, the manufacturer, Sony, have a 1 year guarantee on the PS4. So say I purchase a PS4 on January 1st, 2019. Sony guarantee that will work for 1 year, not GameStop. GameStop give me a 14 day return policy, but the guarantee is with Sony, and stays in force for the duration of the guarantee. So I sell my PS4 to my mate on July 1st, 2019. On July 2nd the disc drive stops working. My mate then has to go to Sony, not GameStop.

I'm open to correction, but I had war with 2 companies over this, Flexirent tried to pawn this off on me, but as it was a Hire Purchase I deal with them, not the TV manufacturer (must to their dismay). But for straight up sales, the guarantee is with the manufacturer, unless it was an 'extended warranty' sold by GameStop, which I believe they don't do on new consoles, and would only apply after the expiration of the manufacturer warranty.

Actually not true. The manufacturer can offer a warranty but the contract is with the retailer. EU and Irish law cover that goods should last for a reasonable amount of time. In this case the Irish law gives more protection than EU law. People have brought small claims cases for the same thing for a PS3 and 360 the previous generation and won. Every case was won by the consumer so much so that smyths and GameStop stopped taking cases to small claims court. They used to make it difficult then relented once small claims was mentioned. Probably short term memory and new managers but the law still holds and is backed up by court wins in similar cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Consumer laws overrule any shop or manufacturers guarantees.

What Gamestop provide in your example is not a guarantee, it's a 'cooling off' period. Which is why the item should be unopened/unused. That's a simple return.

Under EU and Irish laws, the goods must be fit for purpose, so if your item breaks under reasonable use, then they must repair, replace or refund you. (The choice of which in this instance is at their discretion.) And if I remember correctly, that covers you for at least 2 years, it may be more!

From ccpc.ie, regarding guarantees vs consumer rights:
    A guarantee or warranty gives you additional protection. However, if something goes wrong, you still have consumer rights, regardless of any warranty or guarantee. Often warranties can be more generous, but they do sometimes have exclusions and many run out after one year, while your consumer rights don’t.
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/faulty-goods/

There's no actual timeframe given. It's just a reasonable time.

For a console that's quite expensive and has a 10 year life cycle a reasonable time can and has been argued to be much longer than 2 years.

I'm open to correction, but I had war with 2 companies over this, Flexirent tried to pawn this off on me, but as it was a Hire Purchase I deal with them, not the TV manufacturer (much to their dismay). But for straight up sales, the guarantee is with the manufacturer, unless it was an 'extended warranty' sold by GameStop, which I believe they don't do on new consoles, and would only apply after the expiration of the manufacturer warranty.

It has absolutely nothing to do with a Guarantee.

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be: of merchantable quality. fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable.

Two years is not a reasonable duration for a console to last. It's generally accepted that 7 years as a reasonable period for something to continue to work as intended.

The OP friend needs to stand firm on this and ask for one of the 3R's. If GameStop don't play ball off to the Small Claims Court and he'll win.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Two years is not a reasonable duration for a console to last. It's generally accepted that 7 years as a reasonable period for something to continue to work as intended.

Yup, you're exactly right. Two years is the EU one. Ireland has more consumer friendly laws:

From an Irish Times article on faulty goods published April last year:
    What exactly are my statutory rights?
    EU consumer legislation has provided a sort of “legal guarantee” that entitles consumers across Europe to seek this redress when a good is faulty for a period of up to two years.

Two years? That’s good, right?
    It’s better if you live in the Republic of Ireland. Under Irish law, the limitation period is actually six years. If a fault arises within the first six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise or provide remedies. After six months, the consumer may be requested to show that the lack of conformity (eg, a hidden defect) already existed at the time of delivery. The seller should first offer a repair or replacement (liaising with the manufacturer if necessary) and provide this free of charge. If this is not possible or fails to correct the problem, then the consumer may request a refund.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/faulty-goods-know-your-rights-if-things-go-wrong-1.3450322

I understand what ye are saying, so maybe words are being confused here. It's warranty we're talking about (which is basically a written guarantee)? If so, that's with the manufacturer. And I do understand EU law giving you more time that the US standard, but it's still a manufacturer warranty and I genuinely can't see how GameStop, or other retailers, are legally bound to the manufacturer warranty. Like, disc protection from GameStop is theirs.

In my example above, I bought the PS4, sold it to a friend 6 months later, on the 7th monty it fails, how can GameStop be responsible for that? Most likely, the friend won't even have a receipt from GameStop. Maybe I'm missing it, and I'm more au fait with criminal law, but I was confident on my stance on warranty, but totally open to correction.

I understand what ye are saying, so maybe words are being confused here. It's warranty we're talking about (which is basically a written guarantee)? If so, that's with the manufacturer. And I do understand EU law giving you more time that the US standard, but it's still a manufacturer warranty and I genuinely can't see how GameStop, or other retailers, are legally bound to the manufacturer warranty. Like, disc protection from GameStop is theirs.

In my example above, I bought the PS4, sold it to a friend 6 months later, on the 7th monty it fails, how can GameStop be responsible for that? Most likely, the friend won't even have a receipt from GameStop. Maybe I'm missing it, and I'm more au fait with criminal law, but I was confident on my stance on warranty, but totally open to correction.

I think your the one getting confused. Everyone else is thinking along the same lines here.

Your example is irrelevant as your friend bought second hand in a private sale and has no recourse against the original shop so he must deal with the manufacturer.

I buy an Xbox from GameStop and we are entering a contract. Under that contract I am buying a console that should be of merchantable quality, as described and intended to last a reasonable length of time. If the console goes kaput day one or day 900 I can go back to the retailer and request one of the 3Rs (with my receipt).

GameStop must either repair, replace or refund me for my item which did not last a reasonable amount of time. The R they provide is up to them.

He bought second hand goods, that's an entirely different kettle of monkeys.

But if you bought it, and it just randomly died after 3 years under normal usage (and not because you accidentally drop it, for example), you're still entitled to replacement, repair or refund under Irish consumer laws, and your contract is with the vendor.

• Advertisement

I'll hold my hands up if that's the case, but just to be sure i've banged off an email to the CCPC to clarify. I still can't see how a retailer is responsible for a 3rd party product under the warranty, but I will agree with all of ye if that is the case, as soon as the CCPC responds.

Advertisement