Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Potentially n00b question coming up: is there any reliable / good app out there that scans your PC and gives you a relatively accurate idea of compatibility with a certain games? Not mad keen to download the wrong thing off a google search, and give it access to my PC's specs :D

I realised I somehow managed to miss playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and a recent Game Makers Toolkit reminded me of this fact. Looking at the specs though, they're up from Human Revolution and not sure my creaky old laptop can handle the sequel.

There's System Requirements Lab, they're legit but the accuracy is questionable to say the least.
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
    Your best off just chancing it yourself and see if it runs. What one person deems playable, another would call unplayable, maybe you don't care about lighting effects so you turn them all the way down whereas others would see it as a dealbreaker.
    Compare your specs to the minimum required and if they're any way similar then have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I played it for an hour or so last night. I'm enjoying it but I really couldn't see myself playing a hundred hours, let alone a few hundred. Does it change much in later levels?

Talking about Slay the Spire above.

I was totally wrong. This game is great. Lots of depth, so much replayability. Having great fun trying to get good runs done. Haven't slain the spire yet, still trying. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,704 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Talking about Slay the Spire above.

I was totally wrong. This game is great. Lots of depth, so much replayability. Having great fun trying to get good runs done. Haven't slain the spire yet, still trying. Great game.

Sorry man, never saw your question after my post. Glad you're enjoying it now though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Azza wrote: »
    By any chance did you accidentally happen to log on to Retr0gamers account?

I'd take offence at this if my recommended feed wasn't full of ****ty visual novels and I don't know why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Sorry man, never saw your question after my post. Glad you're enjoying it now though!

No worries at all. I'm also glad I'm enjoying it!

Simple and deep at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

How Over 25 People Got Scammed Into Working At A Nonexistent Game Company

A rather bizarre tale to enjoy over a cuppa and likely under a rather furrowed brow. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Is the Nuclear Gandhi bug just a myth?!

Kinda sad that it's likely all just a figment of our imagination!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One for the lotto wishlist.
    Mother of God, what a machine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I've seen that before. Cool project but if I actually won that or something I'd sell it. No chance in hell playing 8th gen console games from the same box is worth whatever premium that goes for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Reminds me of Peep Show's "Megatron" remote. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Mr E wrote: »
    One for the lotto wishlist

Well if you already own the machines then it would just be a matter of tearing everthing down and shoving it in a big case. Not that hard at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Rob2D wrote: »
    Well if you already own the machines then it would just be a matter of tearing everthing down and shoving it in a big case. Not that hard at all really.

The APU waterblocks are probably custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah I saw that video, though I'm really not seeing the big deal around it.

As other have mentioned, you can actually just do this build yourself, and probably be quite a bit cheaper too. The only thing that stands out is the custom watercooling loop, but again, that's something you can do yourself.

It's definitely a vanity item for the very affluent... that is if it were even for sale. I couldn't find any purchasing options for it. There really isn't any practical use scenario. What are you going to do show up to a LAN party with this massive thing that's the weight of a grown man so you can play 8th gen console games that barely have any local multiplayer or LAN capability? It's a 4K gaming PC with consoles stuck inside it. I can't think of any situation where I wouldn't sell it if I somehow had one. Could re-invest that money into much better enhancements to your gaming setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I dunno, I reckon if I had the money I'd get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty much 100% confirmed that Death Stranding is coming to PC at a later date. The only exclusivity deal was for console exclusivity.

Some fans are getting in a flap over it because.... I'm not sure but fanboys will be fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty much 100% confirmed that Death Stranding is coming to PC at a later date. The only exclusivity deal was for console exclusivity.

Some fans are getting in a flap over it because.... I'm not sure but fanboys will be fanboys.
    Just wait till it's announced to be an Epic Store exclusive...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

gizmo wrote: »
    Just wait till it's announced to be an Epic Store exclusive...
    Why are people so annoyed about Epic Store exclusivity? I was under the impression that the Epic launcher is free, so it's a minor inconvenience at best.

Apologies for the ignorance, I'm a scummy console gamer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Why are people so annoyed about Epic Store exclusivity? I was under the impression that the Epic launcher is free, so it's a minor inconvenience at best.

Its got literally no features as a launcher. Especially for someone like me that likes to play PC games on a TV nothing comparable to Big Picture Mode or built in controller configuration is a big minus.

• Advertisement

The client and games are windows only so I can't even use the client or play any of the games reliably... that's probably #1 issue. No reviews, forums or screenshots. The company itself; I have a lot of reservations and criticisms of Valve but they don't even come close to what I think of EG. If something comes out as EGS exclusive it's literally like it hasn't even come out on PC for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

SomeSayKos wrote: »

A brief summary:

The exclusives are gained by effectively bribing the publishers by paying them upfront on predicted sales.

The exclusives are often coming close to release, screwing over those who pre-ordered/kickstarted for Steam keys. MechWarrior 5 is an example of this kind of bait and switch.

Store exclusive reduces customer choice. In the console world a walled garden may be the normal, but on PC it's not accepted.

Not that it's about competition, Epic are just targeting Steam with this. Other marketplaces like the Windows Store are getting some of these games on release.

Epic have infamously awful security and customer support. They're so bad they banned customers just for buying multiple items during a sale because their client lacks even basic features like a shopping cart.

Epic boss Tim Sweeney is an utter tool in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Did we not create a separate thread for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Isn't it weird the way no one complains about exclusive when it's a Steam exclusive

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Isn't it weird the way no one complains about exclusive when it's a Steam exclusive

What's exclusive to steam outside of Valve games?

Because it's not held down as an exclusive due to contractual obligations and piles and piles of moneyhat cash.

Not releasing on EGS =/= Steam exclusive. Look for financial connections to any outlets consistently defending EGS, though. Last I chekced Polygon has a paper trail that leads back to investments in EGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

The only games that are steam exclusive are the games Valve make themselves.
    Not releasing on EGS =/= Steam exclusive. Look for financial connections to any outlets consistently defending EGS, though. Last I chekced Polygon has a paper trail that leads back to investments in EGS.

This is extremely unlikely and bordering on paranoia. The more boring answer is that most games journalists when they do play games on PC probably don't make much use of Steams features so they don't factor them in when they think of EGS as a comeptitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Even if EGS had full parity with steam, it wouldn't get anywhere if it wasn't for buying exclusives.

People would still want it on the one launcher. Steam has the playerbase and they'll stay there. Even games built on the Epic engine where the Epic made it easier to sell on their store and still some devs don't, as they likely don't see the sales moving over to benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As with many things in the gaming community, the Epic Store debate is a mix of genuine concerns and wild hyperbole.

I’m increasingly of the view that many independent and mid-size developers would be foolish to turn down Epic’s minimum guarantee offers. In a competitive, saturated field - especially in the wildlands of Steam - financial security is a very big deal for many of the people taking these deals. And for all the ‘anti-consumer’ talk, it’s a very good thing for all of us that a number of modest sized developers are now secure enough to stay open and with the bonus of extra resources to finish their games to the quality they want.

Now, I’m also of the opinion that it’d be better for all of there were more avenues for secure funding of games than relying on a company temporarily flush with cash and a generous chequebook. That’s a systemic problem, and I’d embrace alternatives in a second. In the current environment, Epic is a temporary avenue allowing good developers to breathe a temporary sigh of relief. Good thing in the short and mid-term, if fragile in the long-term.

As for the launcher itself, in my experience it’s basic but functional in the only ways I truly care about (i.e. it allows me to play the games in an unobtrusive way - in some ways it’s more seamless than Steam, although obviously lightweight in other respects). I’ve amassed a serious library of really good games but have only bought three of them (two of which were at ludicrously generous discounts). There’s pretty great value to be had while Epic’s still willing to splash their cash around, and I’m sure as hell going to take advantage of that.

If only they paid me to say all that!

Advertisement