Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hypothetically speaking, if someone was in office a couple of days a week and working from home for the rest, would it be feasible to live somewhere else in the country and just come up to Dublin for the necessary days?

Right not it's too early to say. Probably depends on how much working from home the civil service will allow after this. Not all civil service jobs can be done from home either.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Anyone be kind enough to give me some help with Upcoming interview!! Ive never done a zoom one like most people but havnt done an interview in 15 years and especially this kind of one & im nervous!! Appreciate any kind of help/advice & i dint mind anyone to pm me thanks so much in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Icbaby

tiny14 wrote: »
    Anyone be kind enough to give me some help with Upcoming interview!! Ive never done a zoom one like most people but havnt done an interview in 15 years and especially this kind of one & im nervous!! Appreciate any kind of help/advice & i dint mind anyone to pm me thanks so much in advance

Look up the usual interview questions and have answers for the most common (tell me a time etc) think Morgan McKinley have a list on their website. Use the STAR method to answer the questions (situation -talk about a time and place, Task- talk about what the job and what it entailed, Action - talk about what you did, Result/ talk about the outcome). If you use that method for most of your answers to common questions you’ll fly past. Don’t be nervous they are lovely (I was pre zoom so actually had to sit across them and they are very helpful). Know about the public service and different roles, know computer literacy stuff like what BCC is and how and when to use it. And you will be flying it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 condubh

I found it all pretty rapid, so just be prepared for that. I had fairly meaty examples ready for each of the different competencies but it seems they wanted it short and sweet, a lot of cutting across and then just swiftly moving onto the next etc, so don’t go in with a big long story about what you did, just be prepared to give a quick outline and say the right buzzwords.

Anyway, I just kept talking and found out today I passed so there’s that haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hypothetically speaking, if someone was in office a couple of days a week and working from home for the rest, would it be feasible to live somewhere else in the country and just come up to Dublin for the necessary days?

Lots of people spent years commuting 80/90 miles to Dublin, 5 days a week.
    So two days or three would be luxury to them!
    Depends on the travel links, if it's a single transport type it helps a lot.

Have a friend who did 4 years in Dublin Airport, drove every day from Cavan town.
    If your working hours suit it's not too bad, be on the road before six, get out at 4.30pm at the latest and it's almost non stop driving.

Apply for a transfer asap.... !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Sweet Autumn

Can you tell me please what your order of merit is.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Hi all. So, I start as a CO next month. I'm looking forward to it. In regards to the regular and higher CO pay scale does anyone know what qualifies someone to be on the higher scale? Is it relating to qualifications or where you are placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Every new entrant to the CS starts on the 1st point of the scale. I'm unaware of any exceptions, regardless of experience, qualifications etc. Probation lasts 1 year.

(There MAY be an allowance if you're a fluent Irish speaker, and it's a requirement of the role. If you work shifts e.g. in Dublin Port, there is a shift premium of 25%.)

Each year, subject to satisfactory performance, you will move up 1 point on the pay scale (increments).

CO's are due a €500 pay increase in October(check month?) as part of a pay agreement.

Finally, FYI, CO's are paid weekly - Friday a.m. into your bank a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

blindsider wrote: »
    Every new entrant to the CS starts on the 1st point of the scale. I'm unaware of any exceptions, regardless of experience, qualifications etc. Probation lasts 1 year.

(There MAY be an allowance if you're a fluent Irish speaker, and it's a requirememtn of the role. If you work shifts e.g. in Dublin Port, there is a shift premium of 25%.)

Each year, subject to satisfactory performance, you will move up 1 point on the pay scale (increments).

CO's are due a €500 pay increase in October(check month?) as part of a pay agreement.

Finally, FYI, CO's are paid weekly - Friday a.m. into your bank a/c.

Very helpful thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Very helpful thank you

And to add to blindsiders excellent summary, one point on the scale as a newly minted CO is about €8 a week extra into your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭abbeybella

Check with HR, if you have previous experience as a Temporary Clerical Officer for instance ( 2 years plus, you may qualify for the next point of pay)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Higher Scale is generally a seniority/merit thing. It's c.25% of officers on the higher scales. There is a point 1 but I cant imagine many are on the higher scale out of the gate. At some grades (an maybe at CO in some depts) people are hired in on the Higher scale - current head of HR for the Guards is PO - Higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I posted this a few pages back, might be helpful.
    Someone else mentioned that the interviewers aren't bothered with STAR responses though.
    The information in the handbook is very helpful.

"If you Google "star" interview responses you might find that helpful.
    A lot of the websites give sample questions.
    Sit down with a pen and paper and have two answers for each questions, learn them and have them ready to roll off your tongue.

An example interview question might be Give us an example that you improved your workplace. Or give us an example of a project you undertook.
    If you were to just say "I revamped our website" that wouldn't be what they're looking for.
    If you applied the star format it'd be something like
    Situation: I recognised the requirement for our website to be updated when customers commented about lack of information and volume of calls increased.
    Task: I undertook to renew the website, got quotes, sourced samples, hired media company.
    Action: Be able to speak about going live with the job (website) and what was involved.
    Result: Be able to speak about positive benefits of your task (new website) eg lesser volume of calls, easier to navigate, increase in online sales.

They won't ask personal questions like are you married, they can't by law.

They might ask something like Tell us about a time you didn't get on with a colleague or Tell us about a time you disagreed with your supervisors decision.
    Another question might be tell us about a customer complaint.
    Just write out the answers in Star format and remember them well.

They might also ask you questions to get an understanding of how computer literate you are.
    Have some answers / situations ready to show that you can create a word document to type letters. Create a folder. Create and use a spreadsheet.Create emails and attach documents.
    You should also be able to tell them what bcc means and cc.

Have a practise with someone for your online interview.
    Check internet speed / microphone etc.
    It can be hard to not lean into the monitor.
    And try to look at the camera rather than the screen.
    Don't fidget with a pen or paper, if you were sitting in an interview room you wouldn't do that.
    Although I imagine they take that into consideration.

The interview only lasts about 20 mins to half hour and it goes by very quickly.
    Hope that helps"

Icbaby wrote: »
    Look up the usual interview questions and have answers for the most common (tell me a time etc) think Morgan McKinley have a list on their website. Use the STAR method to answer the questions (situation -talk about a time and place, Task- talk about what the job and what it entailed, Action - talk about what you did, Result/ talk about the outcome). If you use that method for most of your answers to common questions you’ll fly past. Don’t be nervous they are lovely (I was pre zoom so actually had to sit across them and they are very helpful). Know about the public service and different roles, know computer literacy stuff like what BCC is and how and when to use it. And you will be flying it. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for taking time to reply & all the info & will update once ive mine done

ellejay wrote: »
    I posted this a few pages back, might be helpful.
    Someone else mentioned that the interviewers aren't bothered with STAR responses though.
    The information in the handbook is very helpful.

"If you Google "star" interview responses you might find that helpful.
    A lot of the websites give sample questions.
    Sit down with a pen and paper and have two answers for each questions, learn them and have them ready to roll off your tongue.

An example interview question might be Give us an example that you improved your workplace. Or give us an example of a project you undertook.
    If you were to just say "I revamped our website" that wouldn't be what they're looking for.
    If you applied the star format it'd be something like
    Situation: I recognised the requirement for our website to be updated when customers commented about lack of information and volume of calls increased.
    Task: I undertook to renew the website, got quotes, sourced samples, hired media company.
    Action: Be able to speak about going live with the job (website) and what was involved.
    Result: Be able to speak about positive benefits of your task (new website) eg lesser volume of calls, easier to navigate, increase in online sales.

They won't ask personal questions like are you married, they can't by law.

They might ask something like Tell us about a time you didn't get on with a colleague or Tell us about a time you disagreed with your supervisors decision.
    Another question might be tell us about a customer complaint.
    Just write out the answers in Star format and remember them well.

They might also ask you questions to get an understanding of how computer literate you are.
    Have some answers / situations ready to show that you can create a word document to type letters. Create a folder. Create and use a spreadsheet.Create emails and attach documents.
    You should also be able to tell them what bcc means and cc.

Have a practise with someone for your online interview.
    Check internet speed / microphone etc.
    It can be hard to not lean into the monitor.
    And try to look at the camera rather than the screen.
    Don't fidget with a pen or paper, if you were sitting in an interview room you wouldn't do that.
    Although I imagine they take that into consideration.

The interview only lasts about 20 mins to half hour and it goes by very quickly.
    Hope that helps"

Thanks so much for taking time to reply and all the info!! Ive alot to get done before it but will update once its done & thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiafleur

Quick update on when the panel expires:

I emailed PAS last week to see if they had any update on the Meath panel and an end date. Got a reply today saying I’m still next in line for a position in Meath (been next in line for 5 weeks now, had interview at the start of March) and that there is still no set end date for the panel. They said again that this panel has been active since June 2020 and the panels typically run 12-18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Has anyone else had difficulty getting a response from the Clearance email address? I've emailed them over a week ago and usually PAS are very quick to respond to emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiafleur

Has anyone else had difficulty getting a response from the Clearance email address? I've emailed them over a week ago and usually PAS are very quick to respond to emails?

Yeah. I emailed PAS last Tuesday and just got a reply this morning. They’re usually much faster at responding so they must be quite busy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rally109

Anyone gone the Irish language stream? Had an interview through Irish and wondering how long it takes to hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Got an email today to say they are interviewing for kilkenny, I am early 50's on the list there but would really prefare Carlow where I am late 20's on the list, would I be silly to pass the option to interview for kilkenny incase a carlow place doesn't arise before the panel ends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Got an email today to say they are interviewing for kilkenny, I am early 50's on the list there but would really prefare Carlow where I am late 20's on the list, would I be silly to pass the option to interview for kilkenny incase a carlow place doesn't arise before the panel ends?

The civil service presence in either county isn't really that big. You can take your chances and wait it out for Carlow and maybe end up with nothing or try and get placed in Kilkenny and apply for a mobility move to Carlow. Regional locations are difficult to get placed in. I'd probably focus on getting into the civil service first and worry about location after (if the commute isn't going to be too bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

The civil service presence in either county isn't really that big. You can take your chances and wait it out for Carlow and maybe end up with nothing or try and get placed in Kilkenny and apply for a mobility move to Carlow. Regional locations are difficult to get placed in. I'd probably focus on getting into the civil service first and worry about location after (if the commute isn't going to be too bad).

Thank you!! I'm about 15 minutes from Carlow and 20 from Kilkenny so it's much of a muchness, I think I will chance it for Kilkenny on actually getting in first your right.

Thank you!! I'm about 15 minutes from Carlow and 20 from Kilkenny so it's much of a muchness, I think I will chance it for Kilkenny on actually getting in first your right.

In that case I think definitely go with Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭alanbyrne1982

Hi guys, does anyone know what batch Dublin is working off

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

What's Social Protection like in Covid times?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Really really busy but very enjoyable and interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lilywhite 1928

Anyone know what it's like to work in the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment and whats involved? is it in kildare Street or is there other offices? does it have flexi time? Sorry for all the questions I went back through the thread and didn't see anyone getting assigned in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Vologda69 wrote: »
    What's Social Protection like in Covid times?

Are all DSP offices now doing a 2 days in, 3 days WFH. (3 days in, 2 days WFH) rotation in the DSP now?

New laptops given to employees the last few weeks and the above shift pattern has started.

No flexi time at present. You work 7 hours in the office and 7 hours 24 mins at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Elliebeee

Anyone know how long standard e-vetting is taking to clear atm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

cvb03 wrote: »
    Really really busy but very enjoyable and interesting.

Have they recruited off this panel in the last 10 months or are they filling voids by hiring "temporary" CO's ?

Advertisement