Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocket League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Champion 1 rank 3 I think. Haven't played much though, still only on silver reward level!
    The crappy rewards last season really turned me off it, to be honest.

Anyone still playing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Who said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I still play. It's an excellent online game. Only really play solo standard which is a basket case in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

still playing near daily myself, few games here and there, some good most bad... :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Came back to this recently on PS5 for the first time in months. Had to get a clip of this genius defensive play I had recently in 2V2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Came back to this recently on PS5 for the first time in months. Had to get a clip of this genius defensive play I had recently in 2V2 :P

lol Class move

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Faking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So started getting into this again lately, I'm still very new to it compared to most, the aerial moves are still beyond me more or less. I'm enjoying it, but I have a couple of questions:

1: Why, the second your team starts going behind, is there calls for forfeit from both your own team and the other team?
    2: If I feck up, the chat is still full of ironic "What a save" and all that jazz. The fact that I'm playing with these people, does that mean they're also not good enough to move up ranks? Or how does matchmaking work?

I'm enjoying it, but I reckon I'll turn off the chat if it's an option. People taking it waaaaay to seriously at the lower end of the Bronze categories. Might just wait to play with a few lads who got me back into it, but they're far beyond me in skill so wanted to play games to get myself used to it. Same as pretty much every online community I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

So started getting into this again lately, I'm still very new to it compared to most, the aerial moves are still beyond me more or less. I'm enjoying it, but I have a couple of questions:

1: Why, the second your team starts going behind, is there calls for forfeit from both your own team and the other team?
    2: If I feck up, the chat is still full of ironic "What a save" and all that jazz. The fact that I'm playing with these people, does that mean they're also not good enough to move up ranks? Or how does matchmaking work?

I'm enjoying it, but I reckon I'll turn off the chat if it's an option. People taking it waaaaay to seriously at the lower end of the Bronze categories. Might just wait to play with a few lads who got me back into it, but they're far beyond me in skill so wanted to play games to get myself used to it. Same as pretty much every online community I suppose.

You mention bronze...maybe avoid playing ranked just stick to quick play. It's possibly a bit more unbalanced but less likely to come up against the try hards

• Advertisement

But I won't progress in casual will I? Seems kinda pointless to avoid the mode to progress because some people who think they're brilliant actually aren't and rage quit or hurl abuse because you're losing. Pretty sure it was similar stuff that put me off this before. Too long in the tooth to be dealing with that crap.

Pretty sure I had a game where one of our players was in with the opposing team too. Might to stick to when the lads are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Even in casual play they're dicks. Just keep playing until it's not fun. Mute all chat and listen to music. Practice various techniques or don't. Up to you. Just have fun. Life is too short.

Rocket league is all about positioning and boost management. Ball control you really need to work on in the training drills. Do that and you'll climb the ranks. Civility improves at higher ranks imo. You'll still get toxic asses but the proportion is less - or at least it was. Games get far more intense too.

Regarding casual this mode still has a rank. You actually scale up it and down it faster. You can still improve in it. The problem is you're frequently left with bots which is worse than a 3v1 of humans.

If it's bothering you just mute the opposition. I don't really pay any heed to it. Unless someone ends up 1v3 and 8 goals down and won't forfeit, then I just ignore the ball and just nudge them around.

I've gotten to mid-high Platinum in Rumble without being able to do any aerial stuff at all. I much prefer Rumble because it adds a little variability. Otherwise the game is like chess, the person/team that's better will win the game the vast, vast majority of the time.

Practice in the drills. It's a pity Heatseeker isn't on at the moment, it's meant to be good for aerial stuff. But I'm fine with never purposely going higher than a double-jump. :pac:

Speaking of forfeiting, what's the story with it? Is there a penalty for it? I play on regardless, it's all experience imo. I was left by myself after going 5-1 down in the first few minutes, but managed to only let in 4 more by myself, made a few saves and got 2 scores.

Speaking of forfeiting, what's the story with it? Is there a penalty for it? I play on regardless, it's all experience imo. I was left by myself after going 5-1 down in the first few minutes, but managed to only let in 4 more by myself, made a few saves and got 2 scores.

I would consider it poor form tbh.
    Generally 4 goals down I'll try to forfeit unless there's been some mad luck.
    3 goals down and a minute to go I'll forfeit.
    If my team is short-handed I'll keep going til 2 goals down.

If you consider 2 matches that you don't forfeit in at the halfway point that's a full extra match you could play and win so you're missing out on improving your rating that way. And being infuriating to your opponent. :P

Feck that, I'm no quitter! It's actually bad form imo to quit out just because you're losing. Other games penalise for it, which is why I haven't quit a game yet as I don't know how that works in RL.

It depends on the skill level. Anything under 3 goals is easily changeable unless it's whiff central. Often times in the first minute a team has a weak start or their opponents have a particular attacking move or pattern that the team hasn't adapted to. Honestly anything up to 5 is doable. You can generally tell from your teams car language if it's possible. Rocket league is a game where in ranked you could lose the first game 5 - 1 in the first three minutes. Then win the next 16 minutes comfortably against the same team.

2v3s are definitely doable. For one, you've less boost to share between your teammates. The other team may force things too much two. Breaking a solid 2s defence requires coordination. If you're the team with the car advantage go for bumps/demos! (You should be doing this anyway in all modes when opportunity within rotation arises)

1 V 3 is nigh on impossible once the gap is greater than a goal or the other team actually coordinates well. 1 v 3 is good for practice with low boost and defensive plays. I'd recommend doing it with friends though and getting feedback. You're likely just going to piss off a randomer who may end up on your team next game. Your choice though it has its benefits.

Edit : forgot to add you do not get penalised if you quit after a team mate quits. Just keep in mind they can reconnect and if you quit it counts as a loss regardless of end result.

That's fair enough, I'll consider it in the future. That also leads me to this question, if these people are so good that they want you to quit, why are they in the same league as me? I just don't get it, even if you're losing badly it's bad form imo to quit. Play out the game, take your loss. I did gg after a game where we lost 7-2 and one of the other team went "really?". I replied with "good experience" and he agreed. I did learn a few things from that match so it was worth waiting.

A quick Google shows that this doesn't really happen at the higher ranks, and only seems to happen from Plat down. In fairness, if a few minutes makes that much of a difference to people, maybe they shouldn't be playing it at that time. I just don't like it I suppose.

Edit: A good quote I found on a reddit thread of someone giving out about players not forfeiting, and it's genuinely what I believe:

I almost never ff because if im getting destroyed i use the end of match to practice against players who are obviously better than me. I think its one of the best ways to get better.

Everyone is sh1t at this game. Some though are only sh1t because of you!!

The problem is online games have nothing to incentivise the type of behaviour you desire. The game does not discourage players from their unreasonable expectations and toxicity. Rather sadly when the issue is pointed out most communties get defensive suggesting you need to toughen up. That this mentality might have other consequences is alien. Yet anecdotally speaking people I've had a blast with in cooperative games I've also had a far better experience in real life projects that came under fire.

Just my own experience but I do wonder if this toxicity will have impacts in the real world. Particularly for younger generations who think its the norm to blame just about everything else.

I almost never ff because if im getting destroyed i use the end of match to practice against players who are obviously better than me. I think its one of the best ways to get better.

Maybe people don't like being used by strangers on the internet? :pac:

I play with my mate abroad a decent amount. On a different console so we've no voice chat. I prefer to not play out a bunch of one-sided games either way because the close games are the most intense and fun.
    In an hour we could play 7 games all the way, one might be good towards the end.
    If teams (and us) are willing to concede then we can get another maybe 3 matches in. By definition they'll be closer matches so a lot more highlights per session can happen.

It's arguable either way but I find that always playing the game out just makes it feel more grind-y.

BTW, watch out the day of the new weekly challenges and the few days after the new season challenges are unlocked, the forfeit rate collapses.

• Advertisement

Haven't played this in ages now. Had thousands of hours in it and ran my own Discord with around 500 people and a huge bot I coded myself. Playing in the private leagues is far better than ranked or unranked.

Possibility this is a stupid question, but it would be even stupider if I didn't ask and it turned out to be an issue. :pac:

Are you using the Ball Cam? Quickest way to improve massively if you've been using the follow Camera.

Also is there anywhere in the game to check recent results? Pretty sure I went on a run of 1 win in 15 (went from a division below Diamond to 2 above Gold :L) and would be good to confirm if it was as bad a run as I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I wouldn't subscribe to any sort of honour rules around forfeiting, it's all situational imo. If I've gone a load of goals down but feel there's a chance then I'll keep going, if opponents are putting 'ff' in the chat then all the better.

The most consistent way to improve is to keep playing competitive (doubles or standard with teammates. I'd avoid solo standard but that's just my opinion, some people enjoy it). I don't think you can improve much past the basics by only playing casual.

And then on the chat toxicity, ignoring is definitely your best bet. If you can do that then grand, if it means turning the chat off then it's definitely better than leaving it on and getting pissed off, it is supposed to be fun after all! The best outcome when someone is getting toxic is to prove them wrong/shut them up through the game, and sure if you don't manage that then so what, you'll most likely never come across them in the game again.

Also is there anywhere in the game to check recent results? Pretty sure I went on a run of 1 win in 15 (went from a division below Diamond to 2 above Gold :L) and would be good to confirm if it was as bad a run as I think it was.

Not in game but you can throw your Steam name/gamer tag/etc in here and it'll give you all the stats you'd ever need: https://rocketleague.tracker.network/

Conchir wrote: »
    Not in game but you can throw your Steam name/gamer tag/etc in here and it'll give you all the stats you'd ever need: https://rocketleague.tracker.network/

That's handy.

Me: 118 wins
    Best person on PS: 34,669 wins

I'm a bit away!

Conchir wrote: »

Cheers. Seems to be missing about 5% of my goals/saves/assists.
    Does it just start from when you enter it? Says I'm on a 3 win streak but doesn't have all my matches individually that I can see.

Cheers. Seems to be missing about 5% of my goals/saves/assists.
    Does it just start from when you enter it? Says I'm on a 3 win streak but doesn't have all my matches individually that I can see.

From what I can tell it's broken into seasons at the top (S2(17), S1(16), 15, 14....). I hadn't played really since it launched so all empty for me.

Played this on switch today for the lulz. Can barely hit the ball, fly, turn the car or half-flip. I think the game is more fun this way. I know what I want to do but have no idea if I can actually do it and results have been hilarious. Tried a wall pinch ended up getting my car killing the ball dead then being bumped by a teammate into opponent so decided what the hey might as well aim for the next guy. Next thing I know my teammate is behind me and doing the same thing! I played a back pass in platinum. Apparently they don't expect those.
    I can't aerial for sht, it's such waste of boost to recover from them too. So, naturally I saved a goal for our opponents while I was in freefall.
    Tried the dribble the ball across the wall of our goal to buy time for my team to reset. Perfectly centred the ball over our goal instead. Nobody scored. I mean they all missed. This was plat II!
    (One of my teammates though did an ace play by bumping at least one attacker. He changed driving line superbly too).

So many fun moments. I definitely pissed a lot of people off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I put 35 hours into the Steam version back in 2017. Enjoyed it but put it down for other games on the backlog.

When it went F2P I started playing it on Switch and became really engrossed in both doubles and 3s. I wasn't fantastic mainly keeping within Gold, but I was really enjoying it.

After 275 hours on Switch I installed it on Epic last week just for something different. Going from handheld Switch to 1440p/27"... :eek: At first it looked Fisher Price chunky in comparison, but the added fidelity and background details look great (is that floating camera drone missing on the Switch or just too small to see :p). Controls also feel more accurate, not surprising really when you compare joycons to a 360 joypad. Quick chat can be dodgy with the 360 d-pad, but the triggers and sticks are so much better.

The trash talk though! Typed chat doesn't cross platforms. Having a full keyboard at their disposal really makes the (I'm hoping) 13 year olds belligerent little assholes. I think the most I saw on Switch was "trade?" and only once or twice "ff". Some how "ez" hurts more than a sarcastic "What a save!" :pac:

So played a couple of 5am tournaments recently with randomers. It's quite exciting! Twice I've been knocked out in the Gold Quarter Finals for whatever group I'm in. I appear to be stuck in Gold for regular 3v3, Diamond for Rumble though.

Also, why does no one mention Rocket League when it comes to charging mad money for unlocking stuff? Those blueprints are crazy expensive to build.

• Advertisement

Because they're purely aesthetic.

Advertisement