Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocket League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

its funny on twitter, a few game journos on twitter are having a right laugh at the skill level on xbox, they're winning all round them having gotten familiar with the ps4 version.

Might stay away from online so till I get the hang off things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Might stay away from online so till I get the hang off things.

if anything get in there sooner, before everyone else gets to grips with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭finglashoop

if anything get in there sooner, before everyone else gets to grips with it!

Im online. Just drop in games it seems to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

So after playing this since release and always wondering how people line up air shots so perfectly... when mine are usually flying through the air in order to a$$ shot the ball into the net, I finally realise there is an Air Roll button in the settings that gives much more control. wow.

Now I've to spend the next while learning how to fly again while trying to roll and turn properly. So far I have failed miserably because I keep getting my fingers in a twist :pac:

It's not easy on keyboard / mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ah yes Air roll. That moment when you finally realise how difficult it is to control the cars momentum in flight. You see, under normal operating conditions turning the car left turns you left and turning right turns you right. Once you start using air roll however, the axes that contain left and right turns also shift orientation relative to the ground by rotating around the vertical plane. What this means, is that if you flip your car upside down in the air, turning left means the cars goes right and turning right means the car goes left. The car still turns left, but relative to your intended flight path it's actually going right. If your air roll is at a 45º relative to the ground then left and right become more oblique orientations. This is all well and good until those moments where you might also need to add a directional dodge to your aerial to make the desired contact with the ball as dodges work slightly differently again.

The only way to understand this is to save replays on people who can actually fly, then watch them in slow motion and then watch yours in slow motion. Expect many many many headaches. :(

Oh! And if anyone is thinking why bother? It's actually kind of crucial. Hitting the ball with the cars ceiling carries greater power than the undercarriage. There's also far less chance of an undesirable wheel hit which basically cushions the ball on impact. Then there's huge defensive bonuses. Ever been stuck driving backwards towards your own goal and flipping your car in the wrong direction to make an easy save?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ah yes Air roll. That moment when you finally realise how difficult it is to control the cars momentum in flight. You see, under normal operating conditions turning the car left turns you left and turning right turns you right. Once you start using air roll however, the axes that contain left and right turns also shift orientation relative to the ground by rotating around the vertical plane. What this means, is that if you flip your car upside down in the air, turning left means the cars goes right and turning right means the car goes left. The car still turns left, but relative to your intended flight path it's actually going right. If your air roll is at a 45º relative to the ground then left and right become more oblique orientations. This is all well and good until those moments where you might also need to add a directional dodge to your aerial to make the desired contact with the ball as dodges work slightly differently again.

The only way to understand this is to save replays on people who can actually fly, then watch them in slow motion and then watch yours in slow motion. Expect many many many headaches. :(

Oh! And if anyone is thinking why bother? It's actually kind of crucial. Hitting the ball with the cars ceiling carries greater power than the undercarriage. There's also far less chance of an undesirable wheel hit which basically cushions the ball on impact. Then there's huge defensive bonuses. Ever been stuck driving backwards towards your own goal and flipping your car in the wrong direction to make an easy save?

I spent 30 minutes yesterday in open play simply getting the basics of speed running into a net, looping, coming out from the top of the net and air rolling into a perfect straight line so I could get back to my own net quick without skidding all over the place.
    It's not as easy as it sounds and takes a good bit of practice to get right.
    I'm decent enough at flying and jumping off walls, but rolling with it now really makes this a whole new ball game. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Some random goals and saves I put together from saved replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

When you say air roll, you mean with the handbrake button while flying, yea?

I'm not even that great at flying on it's own!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I see people suicide bombing. How do they do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I see people suicide bombing. How do they do that?

Lol. It's not suicide bombing, it's the opponent that blows up.
    If you hit them at full speed they blow up, it's called a demolition, there's no points for it but the opposition are a man down for a couple of seconds.

• Advertisement

Lol. It's not suicide bombing, it's the opponent that blows up.
    If you hit them at full speed they blow up, it's called a demolition, there's no points for it but the opposition are a man down for a couple of seconds.
    ah, I see.

*takes off C4 vest.

Oh, its so good.

we had a round of matches against the same 2 guys, it was back and forth until, well.....

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Stone%20Deaf%204evr/video/14879185

rage quit anyone? :D

Oh, its so good.

we had a round of matches against the same 2 guys, it was back and forth until, well.....

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Stone%20Deaf%204evr/video/14879185

rage quit anyone? :D
    It was such a nice way to finish the evening.

We had played many games against them back to back.

Played a few 2 v 2 with Failsafe, this game is a great laugh.

One of my very few many online goals:

rB53b4J.gifv
    http://i.imgur.com/rB53b4J.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Played a few 2 v 2 with Failsafe, this game is a great laugh.

One of my very few many online goals:

rB53b4J.gifv
    http://i.imgur.com/rB53b4J.gifv

Wait until you get some really good goals if that one impresses you! It's definitely my game of the decade so far!

I cant feel my hands. Their numb. Gripping the controller like a crazy mofo

chrislad wrote: »
    Wait until you get some really good goals if that one impresses you! It's definitely my game of the decade so far!

It far from impresses me, I think I only got 3 - 4 goals and 1 own goal in 4 games last night.

That goal was the best I could muster & I just wanted to post a goal. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Ahh, I am going to have to pull the trigger on this game aint I?

I have so many games to play!!! Gaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

logik wrote: »

Those games won't matter once you get into this. It's a case of one session of a game, or 15 5 minute games of Rocket League. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's still not as good as the original in my eyes. Hasn't got that factor that keeps me playing it. I must have put thousands of hours in the first one, only have around 200 games on this version.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    It's still not as good as the original in my eyes. Hasn't got that factor that keeps me playing it. I must have put thousands of hours in the first one, only have around 200 games on this version.
    Thinly veiled hipster 'i was playing before it was cool post!

logik wrote: »

A bit of balance between games will be good. Remind me of this post when I am playing the Division 24/7 :)

A bit of balance between games will be good. Remind me of this post when I am playing the Division 24/7 :)

You will be needed for R6S ranked and Rocket League.

Good games last night, did you play much more?

You will be needed for R6S ranked and Rocket League.

Good games last night, did you play much more?
    Yes, quite a bit. My hands are killing me today lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Had a good few games with failsafe there, such a good laugh, I will be on for the night anyway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just scored this goal. :)

https://gfycat.com/LikableHelplessGalapagostortoise

Absolutely buzzing from it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Turtwig wrote: »
    Just scored this goal. :)

https://gfycat.com/LikableHelplessGalapagostortoise

Absolutely buzzing from it. :o

Lovely goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Cotts72

If anyone On xbox fancies a few games add me "Cottz" having zero banter so far on this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Cotts72 wrote: »
    If anyone On xbox fancies a few games add me "Cottz" having zero banter so far on this!

Theres a rocket league thread in the xbox forum. Ganertags for lads included. Mine is Doyler1984

Advertisement