Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocket League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So this happened today. All 3 defenders pushed up but still. :)
    https://gfycat.com/ScornfulImpracticalAtlanticbluetang

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Siiick!!! But seriously great improvisation.

Wish people would post more vids on the thread love looking at highlights of this game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 techgraphix

It's amazing to see how the techniques and tactics have evolved since the game first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Anyone else getting having issues getting into a server? I keep getting some junk about cross network play not being available regardless of whether it's enabled or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Anyone else getting having issues getting into a server? I keep getting some junk about cross network play not being available regardless of whether it's enabled or not.

Yeah I got that a few times tonight on xbox, but if you wait long enough you'll get a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Got that the first time playing for a couple of nights in a row. When it happened I just cancelled and started a search and it worked normally for me then.

This has been an issue for me since the hot wheels update. Never had this cross network error crap before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

New game mode incoming. Looks really cool!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Anybody else having matchmaking issues since the update? On PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

same is happening on pc too, they know about the issue afaik

• Advertisement

Scored a nice goal in competitive last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Scored a nice goal in competitive last night.

Sweet ❤️

Haven't played in weeks and scored this today. Delighted with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Rocket League’s Autumn update is live, contains over 90 free items
    Rocket League’s fall update has new arenas, cars, and free items which make blowing up enemy goals even more enjoyable.

Rocket League was already an exciting game at launch, but now it’s a gift that keeps on giving thanks to a metric ton of bonus updates. The latest “Autumn Update” is no exception, adding brand-new arenas, gameplay tweaks, and a massive volume of free items.

To start, players will have access to a seasonal arena called Farmstead, where matches occur in a field surrounded by crops and farmland. Anyone can also take advantage of five new standardized arenas: Starbase Arc, Wasteland, Champions Field (Day), Mannfield (Snowy), and DFH Stadium (Day).

The real treat however, are the 90+ items players can equip on their vehicles. These items cover everything from pinwheels, to a Taco Boost special effect, to a tiny bunny who rides on top of your car. Rocket League is also introducing new player banners which surround your name after a goal, to add another cosmetic layer players can enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

After spending the last 1 and a half competitive seasons in the gold ranks, I finally made it to platinum last night in doubles. Really satisfying game when you can feel yourself improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

anyone else having issues with the game since the last update?? it keeps crashing every couple of minutes to the point of it being unplayable

My xbox controller could finally take no more of me and this game last week. I figured that would be a good enough excuse to take an extended break from RL but I'm seriously missing it after just a couple of days.

Then I remembered the seasonal update.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Love the attention this game gets.

After you play a game on Farmstead(the new arena), a banjo version of the game's theme tune is played. Such a class little touch by the developers who still care about the game.

Wish I could find a YouTube clip of it, might have to make one!

I was just trying to pinch the ball away here and ended up firing it into the net! :D

Conchir wrote: »
    After spending the last 1 and a half competitive seasons in the gold ranks, I finally made it to platinum last night in doubles. Really satisfying game when you can feel yourself improving.

I forgot about this post. Since then I've moved up again, currently diamond 2 in doubles and standard. Having so much fun with Rocket League still, it's always handy for a quick 2 or 3 games.

• Advertisement

I forgot about this post. Since then I've moved up again, currently diamond 2 in doubles and standard. Having so much fun with Rocket League still, it's always handy for a quick 2 or 3 games.

Congrats! I was Gold 2/3 standard across all game types and now vary between Platinum 1/3 so not a big movement there.

My basic game and awareness is decent (I work well as the cautious teammate in 2v2) but very poor off the wall or in aerials. Wish I had the patience to work in the training modes but it’s just too tempting to play competitive whenever I have the time.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Congrats! I was Gold 2/3 standard across all game types and now vary between Platinum 1/3 so not a big movement there.

My basic game and awareness is decent (I work well as the cautious teammate in 2v2) but very poor off the wall or in aerials. Wish I had the patience to work in the training modes but it’s just too tempting to play competitive whenever I have the time.

Nice progression :)

I know what you mean about competitive! I recently got a controller so am trying to get used to it by playing casual. I'm hoping to get to the point where I'm better with it than I am now with keyboard and mouse, but it's so hard to push myself to play casual. Oh how easier it would have been to play on a controller from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I just got up to diamond recently. It's weird the standard doesnt seem to change much through all the platinums to diamond. The biggest problem is when one team has a crap player.

Started in gold. Now hovering at Diamond 1 in solo standard. It's great for casual play but frustrating as well because you can land in a team who literally can't hit the ball. Haven't invested the time to team up yet unfortunately. I hear if I got a good team together I'd have better chance to progress in it than solo, but yeah.

EDIT: Call Me Jimmy you put it better. It just takes one bad player and your team is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Hoovering just inside champion myself. Standard can be very strange, insane players to people who can't hit the ball. The ranking system is flawed for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jamesjackso1

The biggest problem is when one team has a crap player.
    Have to agree with you on this one! It sucks sometimes but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Everyone at every level of this game, even the top level pros will miss the ball. Sometimes hilariously. The question is why? (I'm deliberately ignoring fakes here btw.) It's inevitable that in a game decided by six individual cars one will have a weak game, or weaker moments, from time to time. Form fluctuates and ultimately what distinguishes rank is their base level consistency and positioning i.e. not how one individual game goes but how they perform overall in 5 to 10 matches.

However, things aren't always as they seem. Looking the weaker player doesn't always mean they are the weaker player. Yes, maybe if they constantly miss the ball (e.g. putting a Silver in Plat III) but everyone has different playstyles. Some won't gel all that well. Mechanically speaking there's not a whole lot of difference between Plat and Diamond, maybe the reading speed of the ball but it's not massive. The difference is largely one of positioning and strategy. Are you trying to win this contest for the ball? Are you deliberately going to lose it to commit the attacker and give your team8 behind you a much better chance of winning it? Are you trying to stall or slow the momentum of the game? Should you press up higher to overload their defence or should you stay deeper leaving it 2v3? Or is that too risky? Assessment of the situation and risk is a huge part.

Before blaming your team8 ask yourself this: Why are they missing ball? Is it a matter of ball timing? Is their reading of the situation really poor, or just overly optimistic? Have they been bumped? Are they low on boost? Has their desired driving line being interfered with somehow? Is there something you can do to make the hits for them easier or more readable for them? Are you making silly contests? Have you left a passing lane open leaving them to cover multiple options and have to do late improvisations? Are they being put in a situation which is not their comfort zone e.g some players are excellent at defending and making clears but you pushing into the space and asking them to make a dribble or passing play and you're in a whole heap of trouble? Is their system of rotation different to yours? etc. etc.

Players generally have four basic attributes:
    Car Control
    Ball Reading/Control
    Positioining
    Decision making/strategy

Even within a given rank or game mode the level of these attributes can vary wildly because often times one over abundance of an one attribute can more than adequately compensate for a weaker strength in another. Consistency of performance in these attributes will vary also. The most important thing if you're playing with randomers is to figure out what attributes your teammates have and what attributes your opponents have. Then see how best you can gel and they can carry you to victory.

Been playing hard recently in Doubles. Got right up to Diamond 3 Division 4 a few days ago, and was probably a win or two away from hitting Champ for the first time. Then I went on a run of losses that brought me down to Diamond 2 Div 4. I've since managed to get back to Diamond 3 Div 3 but it's tough. I'm hoping to hit Champ before the end of this season, that would be very satisfying.

I have to say that all of this has been some of the most enjoyable Rocket League I've played. This game just doesn't get old.

How are other people here getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

Been playing hard recently in Doubles. Got right up to Diamond 3 Division 4 a few days ago, and was probably a win or two away from hitting Champ for the first time. Then I went on a run of losses that brought me down to Diamond 2 Div 4. I've since managed to get back to Diamond 3 Div 3 but it's tough. I'm hoping to hit Champ before the end of this season, that would be very satisfying.

I have to say that all of this has been some of the most enjoyable Rocket League I've played. This game just doesn't get old.

How are other people here getting on?

Plat 2 in Standard is the highest I've gotten this season. The amount of toxicity I've encountered this season has been horrific.

• Advertisement

Mr_Man2121 wrote: »
    Plat 2 in Standard is the highest I've gotten this season. The amount of toxicity I've encountered this season has been horrific.

I've come across a good bit too, but I ignore it tbh. Definitely never reply to it anyway.

Advertisement