Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Makes for good training :pac:

I'm just trying to get to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/3130730058

Parts of today were a real struggle. Opted for shorts and leg warmers instead of proper tights and regretted that for the first half an hour - tops of my legs were cold. Got over that discomfort as the sun shone brightly and the rain stopped. Briefly. The first hail shower wasn't too bad and only lasted a few minutes. By the fourth one I was getting pretty cold and unhappy - until I saw a sign for a café. Filled with hot coffee and pancakes, I was good to go as I could feel my feet again.
    The last hour was a slog into a cold headwind and I was glad to get off the bike after 66km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3133829114

Todays rookie mistake: came to a flooded road after about 13km and thought, I'll take it handy and see how it goes. There was a 400m stretch of proper flooding, but it was a couple of inches deep in the centre of the road (small L road, no traffic). All going well until the last 50m when it suddenly got about 12-18 inches deep! As the water was so deep, both feet got totally soaked. A sensible person would have thought, sod it, I'll head home as its only about 3 degrees ambient out. Not this muppet!
    Had to stop after 50km as I couldn't feel much in my feet. Had a coffee at a petrol station and struggled on. Any time I got any speed up, I could feel my feel getting colder by the second so I had to keep a steady slow pace.
    As I got to Tulla, it started to hail, so stopped at a café to warm up with a second coffee.
    I thought I was glad to be off the bike yesterday, but today was worse. My feet took a good 30 mins to warm up.
    Definitely a day off the bike tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Boring in comparison to ^!

Wasn't feeling the love for a longer spin, been off the bike more than I'd have liked recently and knew my fitness had dropped badly as a result. So just got out for 65km up and down the S2S north and then up Howth and then repeated all that. Gorgeous morning out though the wind was stronger than I'd expected based on forecasts earlier in the week.

65km, 467m, 25kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/3136251381

Got out for the first time in ages today and did 75k in beautiful conditions.

Unfortunately, I forgot to swap out the back wheel axel from the turbo trainer and only realised it when I stopped for coffee and the back wheel came rolling past me as I walked with the bike on a path. Two minutes earlier I had been doing 60kph down a huge hill so it was a very lucky escape. The axel from the turbo trainer was a cheap, fairly basic piece and must have come loose and I can only assume the wheel was jumping in the fork all the time without me realising it.

I won't be making that mistake again.

• Advertisement

https://www.strava.com/activities/3138995511

Another wet and windy day out. 250km for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just commuting on the Singlespeed at the moment, waiting for the weather to improve before the good bike gets out. I need something to spin on in the crap weather, might like at getting something on B2W

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Heading home along the N4 bus lane between Lucan and Leixlip, a driver in an OY reg Celica comes up behind me revving his engine to tell me to move out of his way. I pointed over towards the three lanes full of traffic that he should have been in but there was no change in his behaviour. Soon after he managed to get a break and overtook me. The driver of the DL reg van behind him also in the bus lane also overtook me and made sure that I was aware of his presence by letting off a long burst of the horn. Although I don't know sign language, I understood what his gestures meant.
    Anyhow, at the Leixlip slip, I caught up with Mr. Celica and pulled up in front of him. He hopped out of his car (which had me on edge) and I just asked if he knew the difference between a bus and traffic lane. His response was do I know the difference between a cycle lane and a bus lane.
    He was adamant that I was in the wrong because I was in a bus lane. In the end I decided it was pointless trying to argue with a stupid person.
    Did just over 16km on my commute but this was pretty much straight after a lovely 5km run along the Grand Canal. Legs are knackered now but despite the pair of muppets I encountered, the weather was glorious and it was lovely being outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Got home earlyish from work so straight out on the bike. Had planned a 20km route but got a puncture after 18.5km. Walked home. Hope to get out again in the morning.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/aMIUm67os4

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was out at 7 and headed to howth. Wind not to bad leaving the house but had built up a bit by time I got to howth 5km km later and blowing harder when I turned for home . 1st spin of the year only 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Bike is in for a service so I went to the gym to train. I tried to do a couple of efforts but I was cooked after just a few minutes. The lack of ventilation/cooling makes it too difficult. Called it a day after an hour. At least it was free. Back again tomorrow. Hopefully the bike is ready soon.

Nice unofficial club spin around the roads of N Kildare (official spin cancelled because of the storm).
    Some tiring headwinds on the way out but they carried us back into Maynooth where we stopped for coffee.
    Despite the winds, there was no rain, most of the time it was sunny and it wasn't cold. Nice weather to be out and about.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/sSJSge4rt4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out with 4 buddies, not a bad morning of a bit windy and cold, 20km in one of my peddles came clean of the spindle , busted bearings, i limped home for 15km on 1 peddle to CSS and got a new set of peddles fitted and headed back out for another 30km.
    65km almost 500 meters and a miserly avg of 23.8 kph.
    Went back later into CSS to pay for the peddles.
    The buddies eneded up doing 60 ish km , met them on my way back out..cursory wave and shouts...out together..back together..my arse :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wasn't too sure whether to cycle this morning, but it didn't seem too icy out my window, and the sun was shining so I went for it. I was glad in the end, it was windy but otherwise gorgeous. I didn't even feel terribly cold either.

I wasn't too sure whether to cycle this morning, but it didn't seem too icy out my window, and the sun was shining so I went for it. I was glad in the end, it was windy but otherwise gorgeous. I didn't even feel terribly cold either.

It was a cracking morning to be out alright, Garmin read 3 degrees but never felt particularly cold. Even the headwind wasn't as strong as recently, though it was still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

The cycle paths were a bit dodgy this morning. There was the odd bit of ice too where puddles had frozen. I cycled gingerly enough this morning just in case.

Still can't really see any sign of spring at all yet.

It was a lovely crisp morning but I hit a decent sized ice patch going into a roundabout. Bike stayed upright but woke me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Usual commute, set out at 7.00, but it was still quiet enough, although crossing Liam Mellowes Bridge some Garda said I should be one the road not the path. I nodded or something. I go at times on the footpath. It's two lanes of cars and lorries on a road only one a half lane wide. A bit ahead of him, further on, past St Michan's church a car was blocking the cycle lane, no hassling that road user.

Headed out around Clondalkin, Newcastle, Celbridge and Leixlip to bump up my year-to-date kms which now are just over the 1600km mark - chuffed with that (despite me being behind my original target of 1k per month!)
    A little spit of rain and a bit chilly but it felt great to be out!

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/GTKBkxYbx4

https://www.strava.com/activities/3150409432

Mostly glorious out today. Got the bike out of the car in sunshine, fitted the mudguards that I'd removed to clean the bike over the weekend, and while I was trying to find the route I'd planned in my Garmin, it started lashing. Decided on a shorter route (that was in the Garmin) and set off.
    Stopped to take the rain jacket off after about 40 minutes and didn't need it again. Apart from one shower it was bright sunshine with damp roads in places.
    Took a few new roads, although some were little more than tracks, and found it to be a great spin so probably one I'll repeat. Even saw a group of 7 or 8 lads out - not something I've seen here yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Parked up in portmarnock and headed for howth. The new cycle lane which I hadn’t yet been on was badly flooded so did a few hundred metres of cyclocross to get round it. I wasn’t the first based on multiple tyre tracks in the mud. Lovely day up and down howth. 50k with 850m vertical. No matter how often I descend into howth village I still don’t like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Have been doing night spins with a friend of mine for a few years. Have to be creative enough to get decent routes around the city at night time in winter.

But tonight we tried something different. With good lights on our road bikes, we rode the dirt road from Kilmashogue Wood up to the top of Three Rock. So beautiful and peaceful and no real problem doing it on road bikes with 25 mm tyres. Soft crunch of gravel under our wheels turning unto a rip sound near the top as a covering of snow lay on the gravel. The bright lights of the city blazing up at us in the mountains. Our heavy breathing the only sound. Descended on gravel down to Ballyedmunduff Road, down to Glencullen and home via Kilternan on the road.

But the best part of it was the off road part. Will definitely be doing it again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3153366193

Same route as yesterday but with better weather. Had a few pints last night and really felt like turning back for most of the first 20 minutes, but did it 7 minutes quicker than yesterday.. must be the lack of wind as I definitely wasn't trying any harder

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Out last night for an hour around howth & Sutton. Very pleasent evening to be out. Spotted 2 foxes in different parts of Sutton just strolling around and 1 irate motorist who offered me a punch in the mouth. 1st time for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

LennoxR wrote: »
    Have been doing night spins with a friend of mine for a few years. Have to be creative enough to get decent routes around the city at night time in winter.

But tonight we tried something different. With good lights on our road bikes, we rode the dirt road from Kilmashogue Wood up to the top of Three Rock. So beautiful and peaceful and no real problem doing it on road bikes with 25 mm tyres. Soft crunch of gravel under our wheels turning unto a rip sound near the top as a covering of snow lay on the gravel. The bright lights of the city blazing up at us in the mountains. Our heavy breathing the only sound. Descended on gravel down to Ballyedmunduff Road, down to Glencullen and home via Kilternan on the road.

But the best part of it was the off road part. Will definitely be doing it again.

You make it sound lovely, poetic even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You make it sound lovely, poetic even.

Almost Brokeback mountainish :) not that there is anything wrong with that just in case anyone is offended.........

I used the fine weather yesterday to extend my ride home from work (although cut short to collect young fella from GAA training :().
    36kms @ 29.4km/h around West Dublin & North Kildare.
    Lovely to hear the birds singing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3151161942

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

secman wrote: »
    Almost Brokeback mountainish :) not that there is anything wrong with that just in case anyone is offended.........

I was thinking Van Morrison for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time out on the bike in five and a half weeks, and it was a glorious day for it. 40km out to howth and back.
    couldn't go up to the car park at the top, it was all cordoned off. asked a garda was it a virus outbreak or british royalty, apparently it's the latter.

hadn't lost as much form as i'd feared, actually.

• Advertisement

I met a woman walking with her bike near Bay restaurant in Clontarf this morning on the way in. She'd punctured for the second time in 2 days and was having to walk with the front wheel off the ground because the tyre had slid off to the side and I think was wedged between the frame & rim.

Another cyclist in Neamh Bharrog club kit stopped to offer help while I was there - we offered to change the tube out for her but the axle was bolted rather than QR so we couldn't do it without a spanner :(

On the other hand 2 motorists stopped to see if they could get the bike into their cars to bring her to her destination, 1 of whom parked a good bit up the road and walked back to where we were. Sometimes little incidents remind you of the soundness of people :)

Unfortunately because of the size of her child seat and not being able to remove the wheels I suspect she might have had to walk the whole way to Fairview to get to a bike shop :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement