Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General secretary of the IFA on a possible €400,000 salary-Read mod note in post 2734

Options
  • 09-11-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/ifa-general-secretary-under-pressure-over-suggestions-of-e400000-a-year-salary/
    Deane said rumours of a salary of in excess of €400,000-a-year, had been put to him, as the possible salary of the IFA’s General Secretary Pat Smith and he questioned that if the figure was true how the IFA could stand over this.

Wouldn't surprise me after their greed with he CAP negotiations. People on higher payments need higher payments, which to me suggested they were less efficient...

Now if this is true, I wonder what excuse they will use. It is all pure greed at the top of the IFA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

RobertKK wrote: »
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/ifa-general-secretary-under-pressure-over-suggestions-of-e400000-a-year-salary/

Wouldn't surprise me after their greed with he CAP negotiations. People on higher payments need higher payments, which to me suggested they were less efficient...

Now if this is true, I wonder what excuse they will use. It is all pure greed at the top of the IFA.

"Because, I'm worth it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Dawggone wrote: »
    "Because, I'm worth it".

It was under Pat Smiths management as Director of Organisation that IFA has got the financial security it has, so in a sense he is worth it.
    I always thought that his salary was based on the salary of the head of the department of agriculture. It never really bothered me to ask as like the banks if the package isn't attractive enough you'll only get amateurs.
    You have to be aware of who's driving this, a failed Presidential candidate who went on to fail to get the position of National Treasurer the same year

rangler1 wrote: »
    It was under Pat Smiths management as Director of Organisation that IFA has got the financial security it has, so in a sense he is worth it.
    I always thought that his salary was based on the salary of the head of the department of agriculture. It never really bothered me to ask as like the banks if the package isn't attractive enough you'll only get amateurs.
    You have to be aware of who's driving this, a failed Presidential candidate who went on to fail to get the position of National Treasurer the same year

Honestly Rangler I've no idea of the inner workings of the IFA. I'm broadly supportive of the organisation because I believe that farming needs a strong lobby to fight its corner. This in no way means that I endorse the IFA.

€400k will take a bit of explaining to the ordinary Joe Soap farmer...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Oh Rangler1, here we go again. Do you know any other tune? :(

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Honestly Rangler I've no idea of the inner workings of the IFA. I'm broadly supportive of the organisation because I believe that farming needs a strong lobby to fight its corner. This in no way means that I endorse the IFA.

€400k will take a bit of explaining to the ordinary Joe Soap farmer...

Don't know what he gets and don't care....but even at department ag rate....wonder what that would amount to with the hours pat smith puts in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

was he put straight in on the same salary as his predecessor(sp) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Happy as a pig in ****e with that I'd say

whelan2 wrote: »
    was he put straight in on the same salary as his predecessor(sp) ?

As I say I don't know, I don't like the person that's stirring it so that doesn't help my opinion. I'd be surprised if it is true, but if his overtime is the same rates as the civil service, it wouldn't be hard to hit that figure.
    people on here seem to defend civil service pay

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

As I say I don't know, I don't like the person that's stirring it so that doesn't help my opinion. I'd be surprised if it is true, but if his overtime is the same rates as the civil service, it wouldn't be hard to hit that figure.
    people on here seem to defend civil service pay

Does the Taoiseach get over time pay?

If the story is true, he is better paid than the Taoiseach, the US President, the British PM, the German Chancellor, the French President...

He is running a farm organisation, not a country.

Does the Taoiseach get over time pay?

If the story is true, he is better paid than the Taoiseach, the US President, the British PM, the German Chancellor, the French President...

He is running a farm organisation, not a country.

Look, it depends on what he'd get elsewhere, he doesn't have to stay if they drop his salary, Micheal Treacy and Micheal Berkery have moved on to good jobs, so there's no reason Pat Smith won't either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Look, it depends on what he'd get elsewhere, he doesn't have to stay if they drop his salary, Micheal Treacy and Micheal Berkery have moved on to good jobs, so there's no reason Pat Smith won't either

The President and other key staff are also having what they earn being questioned too.

Paying a lot of money doesn't mean you get the best.

After the mess the IFA made of the CAP with the farmers on the biggest payments needing protection at the expense of those on smaller payments, this would be very damaging to the IFA.

Look at the Presidential elections, voter numbers were way down and that was in my opinion at unhappiness with the IFA and the top people wanting to protect their large CAP payments.
    If the story is true, it won't go down well. It would show an organisation out of touch with the ordinary farmer, whom they claim to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

rangler1 wrote:

Sounds like a full time salary to me.

Is he full time or does he farm as well?

kowtow wrote: »
    Sounds like a full time salary to me.

Is he full time or does he farm as well?

He's a paid professional on staff, it's a full time job and more. don't know whether he has a farm

The President and other key staff are also having what they earn being questioned too.

Paying a lot of money doesn't mean you get the best.

After the mess the IFA made of the CAP with the farmers on the biggest payments needing protection at the expense of those on smaller payments, this would be very damaging to the IFA.

Look at the Presidential elections, voter numbers were way down and that was in my opinion at unhappiness with the IFA and the top people wanting to protect their large CAP payments.
    If the story is true, it won't go down well. It would show an organisation out of touch with the ordinary farmer, whom they claim to represent.

I don't see that it matters how it relates to farmers, it has to relate to the real world when you go looking to employ professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Like Dawggone I am neither pro or anti ifa and we newd a strong lobby that is100%. Whether the ifa provide this or not is a whole other debate but seriously rangler, are you defending an €8000 PER WEEK wage when annual average farm incomes are not a lot above this?

On the argument of needing to pay that to get capable people, I would totally disagree. The banks was used as an example but they paid this and got what have since proved to be donkeys regardless of salary.

Grueller wrote: »
    Like Dawggone I am neither pro or anti ifa and we newd a strong lobby that is100%. Whether the ifa provide this or not is a whole other debate but seriously rangler, are you defending an €8000 PER WEEK wage when annual average farm incomes are not a lot above this?

On the argument of needing to pay that to get capable people, I would totally disagree. The banks was used as an example but they paid this and got what have since proved to be donkeys regardless of salary.

All I'm saying is how many hours would a public servant with 200000/yr have to work to double it. I know he works long hours and his pay is related to an equivalent in civil service.

Just on the banks and the senior civil servants, how come there's no out cry about their pay and they destroyed the lives of hundreds of thousands of young couples. the irish are gone soft...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Surely If your salary is 200,000 you get paid 200,000. Your not paid by the hour. Your paid to do a job no matter how many hours are involved.

Surely If your salary is 200,000 you get paid 200,000. Your not paid by the hour. Your paid to do a job no matter how many hours are involved.

As far as I know people are entitled to overtime.
    Any way I'm sure it'll figure itself out

As far as I know people are entitled to overtime

??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ya for €200000 I'd stay late the odd evening and wouldn't watch the clock :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

On salaried employment there is no entitlement to overtime.

Not in the likes of salaried positions at the head of organisations. Per hour workers get it but even tje likes of your local school principal who would put in a lot of time after hours gets no extra. As darragh haven said, they are paid to do the job, not a certain amount of time.

Not in the likes of salaried positions at the head of organisations. Per hour workers get it but even tje likes of your local school principal who would put in a lot of time after hours gets no extra. As darragh haven said, they are paid to do the job, not a certain amount of time.

LMAO!!
    Good man!!

With how many weeks holidays....wouldn't like to even work out their rate per hour

With how many weeks holidays....wouldn't like to even work out their rate per hour

Ok bad example maybe but those kind of positions do not get overtime. I worked in a Glanbia processing plant years ago and the manager would have put in hours way above and beyond but only got his contracted salary. No overtime.

LMAO!!
    Good man!!

As I said to rangler, I picked a bad example. I doubt any cs example would be a good one in your eyes though Dawggone given your posting history.;-)

Can't understand Derek Deane, he was part of the team that gave Pat Smith the job, you'd think he'd have checked out what was offered. It'll be very hard to change the deal now. Between this and the beef price a lot of things got put back last year and maybe never dealt with

As I said to rangler, I picked a bad example. I doubt any cs example would be a good one in your eyes though Dawggone given your posting history.;-)

I have been privileged to rub shoulders with the crème of the CS. Privilege....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Schools might be closed but that does not mean the principal is on holidays.
    What responsibility has the general secretary to anyone?
    What is his salary and what has he done to warrant extra payments.
    Sorry for all the questions but i am getting disillusioned with ifa claptrap

• Advertisement

Can't understand Derek Deane, he was part of the team that gave Pat Smith the job, you'd think he'd have checked out what was offered. It'll be very hard to change the deal now. Between this and the beef price a lot of things got put back last year and maybe never dealt with

If thats the case he has no right to go public now. Does smack of sour grapes given what you posted earlier rangler but it is some wedge and is very bad pr for the association.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement