Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General secretary of the IFA on a possible €400,000 salary-Read mod note in post 2734

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mf240 wrote: »
    You could rent a personality.

That's well out of order, mf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Base price wrote: »
    rangler1 wrote: »
    Of course you wouldn't or even possibly at that time. The means of the few far overweighed the needs of the "suit" SFP farmers.

I think if you go back to my posts in 2014 you'll see I attended all the protests, told farmers to go, sent out up to 100 texts each time. but I'm just saying as I am now (not involved) I see them as a waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

RobertKK wrote: »
    ok, well he/she is getting some money saving tip advice, stop paying the non compulsory levies if you farm :P

You could save even more if you stopped farming, and got an off-farm job... You wont be worried about the IFA then 'tall ;)

Oh... am I not supposed to say things like that... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This thread is about pat Smith not rangler. We have been round that round about before

whelan2 wrote: »
    This thread is about pat Smith not rangler. We have been round that round about before

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Why oh why are these people in so called "high power" positions in the IFA getting this sort of crass money? They are the most toothless shower of bastards that were ever given jobs. They have worked their way to the top while rubbing shoulders with all the top brass in the dairy and meat prosesssors industries and they don't give a ****e about any farmer. Before elections you see a big bull**** setup going to each candidates farm on ear to the ground so they look like they are in touch with their peers. They are so far removed from the reality of farming it is a joke. They are only yes men for the minister of agriculture and the processors. Squabbling on here about the salary if one if their top men is about as usefull as a chocolate teapot. The fact if the matter is that until "farmers" take over their own affairs and set up an alternative structured competitor to the IFA then all we are doing is going around in circles. If you look at the GAA it was all top heavy with no rights or respect for players until the players and ex players set up the GPA to look after the welfare of their players. Now they are no way near as powerful an organisation as the GAA itself but at least they are recognised and heard and are seen to be doing good for their members.

Why oh why are these people in so called "high power" positions in the IFA getting this sort of crass money? They are the most toothless shower of bastards that were ever given jobs. They have worked their way to the top while rubbing shoulders with all the top brass in the dairy and meat prosesssors industries and they don't give a ****e about any farmer. Before elections you see a big bull**** setup going to each candidates farm on ear to the ground so they look like they are in touch with their peers. They are so far removed from the reality of farming it is a joke. They are only yes men for the minister of agriculture and the processors. Squabbling on here about the salary if one if their top men is about as usefull as a chocolate teapot. The fact if the matter is that until "farmers" take over their own affairs and set up an alternative structured competitor to the IFA then all we are doing is going around in circles. If you look at the GAA it was all top heavy with no rights or respect for players until the players and ex players set up the GPA to look after the welfare of their players. Now they are no way near as powerful an organisation as the GAA itself but at least they are recognised and heard and are seen to be doing good for their members.

Not gonna happen,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It was under Pat Smiths management as Director of Organisation that IFA has got the financial security it has, so in a sense he is worth it.
    I always thought that his salary was based on the salary of the head of the department of agriculture. It never really bothered me to ask as like the banks if the package isn't attractive enough you'll only get amateurs.
    You have to be aware of who's driving this, a failed Presidential candidate who went on to fail to get the position of National Treasurer the same year

Boards.ie, don't you just love it.
    If there is a complaint about Iarnrod Eireann on the Commuting and Transport forum, you get hounded off by IR insiders.
    If there is a complaint about RTE on the Broadcasting forum, you get talked down by the RTE insiders.
    And now here with the IFA.
    Insiders should be banned on these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Not gonna happen,

What would you propose so? Why can't it happen? And finally and I'm not getting personal here but why do you try and defend the indefensible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Boards.ie, don't you just love it.
    If there is a complaint about Iarnrod Eireann on the Commuting and Transport forum, you get hounded off by IR insiders.
    If there is a complaint about RTE on the Broadcasting forum, you get talked down by the RTE insiders.
    And now here with the IFA.
    Insiders should be banned on these forums.

Love your username, great music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Join the ICSA

Just a reminder, as it seems to have been forgotten.

The salary of 400k is an alleged figure so, atm, all the outrage at a senior figure in the IFA being paid that sum is pointless.

The site of that allegation would have form in being anti IFA, as much as the Journal has form in being pro IFA. It would be wise to keep that point in mind when reading articles in both sources on the IFA.

When/if the figure is released is plenty of time for outrage to break out.

Saying that, though, with the modern attention span being slightly less than that of a goldfish, it is foolish for the IFA not to release a ballpark figure or an explanation of what is included in the salary figure.

It could be released next week that Smiths salary was 3 packets of Rancheros and a box of Cocopops but the public perception of his salary will still be 400k, as is easily seen from comments on this thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

When/if the figure is released is plenty of time for outrage to break out.

I could be wrong but I suspect that regardless of his motives the identity of the author of the letter (which repeats the rumoured salary) must give it some credibility.

And - if the estimates really are wide of the mark - the failure of the IFA to say so publicly and quickly rather calls into question their PR skills, something which - given what we pay them to do - is nearly as worrying as the allegation that their executives have their snouts in the trough.

In any event the behaviour of the IFA evidences a level of contempt for farmers which is unacceptable. It goes without saying that an organisation which claims to demand transparency from processors and factories on behalf of farmers must demonstrate the same integrity and openness in it's dealings with the world at large.

And at first blush, the IFA doesn't.

barnaman wrote: »
    Join the ICSA
    what salary is the secretary of icsa on?

barnaman wrote: »
    Join the ICSA

What's their stance on TTIP and Mercosur?

What would you propose so? Why can't it happen? And finally and I'm not getting personal here but why do you try and defend the indefensible?

If you want change, change it, but it takes work and there's only a handful of farmers in each county that'll do it, and they're probably doing it already. I've never been challenged for a position and only take them because if everyone keeps refusing we'll have nothing.
    I don't consider it indefensible, I've worked on farmers problems, the delivery of which even surprised me.
    Once the decision to reveal salaries is taken, it can never be undone, so I'd say it won't happen.
    There's good people in IFA, all probably above average farmers and insinuation that they're crooked is only a bit more of the begrudgery.
    The staff in farm centre have huge expertise and probably no one has tried them out on boards and yet criticise. we've a very good regional development officer in our area and the previous guy is now head of agriculture in Bank of Ireland. how long would it take a new organisation to put that together.
    Whether you like it or not IFA is the best out there

If you want change, change it, but it takes work and there's only a handful of farmers in each county that'll do it, and they're probably doing it already. I've never been challenged for a position and only take them because if everyone keeps refusing we'll have nothing.
    I don't consider it indefensible, I've worked on farmers problems, the delivery of which even surprised me.
    Once the decision to reveal salaries is taken, it can never be undone, so I'd say it won't happen.
    There's good people in IFA, all probably above average farmers and insinuation that they're crooked is only a bit more of the begrudgery.
    The staff in farm centre have huge expertise and probably no one has tried them out on boards and yet criticise. we've a very good regional development officer in our area and the previous guy is now head of agriculture in Bank of Ireland. how long would it take a new organisation to put that together.
    +1, rangler.

I've seen it in my own branch, there's only 5-6 people who are willing to take positions while those in the back row of seats spend their whole time b!tching. If they spent a fraction of their that actually doing work that would benefit themselves and other farmers, none of us would be worried about our future.

I asked a question about TTIP and Mercosur and rangler touched on it above.The IFA has a reputation as a big dog in EU ag circles because they work to get information in and out and really pester those in power to move their positions closer to what the IFA want.

A recent example is the Brazilian beef expose where the EU was willing to leave free access to toll free beef in return for access to Eu goods once Brazil signed a compliance cert that all their beef conformed to EU specs. Once the IFA came back with documented proof that virtually none of the agreed procedures were in place, there was still a fight to halt the flood of beef. Would that we were subjected to the same self compliance procedures that The EU seem willing to accept from other countries.

There is a limited amount of political capital available to the IFA and it has to spend it where it can achieve most return. While that may not please those whose belief is that the IFA should only do what that sector want and when they want it, there is a host of conflicting interests at battle and we all can't have what we want all the time.

There is an immature reaction to any act by the IFA including throwing their toys out of the pram and ranting at length online but never getting up off their backsides to actually attend a meeting to make their points.

They are right in thinking the IFA don't represent them, how can it when they are never present to actually fight for their beliefs but remain at home toasting their feet while others go and do their job for them.

Rant over, because it's utterly pointless explaining the above to those who never debate their beliefs to anyone other than their dog:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Reluctantly I have to agree with you this time.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Fair enough. But may I ask, why weren't the IFA voicing such concerns when the payments of commonage farmers was being made public?

Fair enough. But may I ask, why weren't the IFA voicing such concerns when the payments of commonage farmers was being made public?

The IFA were always against the publication of farm payments.

A simple Google search should show that.

• Advertisement

Smith resigns.

Looks like 400k was in the correct ballpark.

Explanations needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So he resigned after a meeting in the IFA, so we won't get the truth...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

who will replace him and what salary will they be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭alps

Smith resigns.

Looks like 400k was in the correct ballpark.

Explanations needed now.

Absolutely incredible...

That's a lot of toys out of a very big pram.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Should Eddie Downey step down as well? Correct me if I'm wrong but I was led to believe that he aledgeially ridiculed Derek Deane for making the whole thing public

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭alps

Brown Podzol a week back referred to Coop executive pay being secret, and I've heard it referred to at several meetings lately, with reference to this issue......could that be the next "farmerrepgate"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

alps wrote: »
    Brown Podzol a week back referred to Coop executive pay being secret, and I've heard it referred to at several meetings lately, with reference to this issue......could that be the next "farmerrepgate"

Is it secret?

If it is, that is obscene.

If you have a co-op vote, whatever you do, and whatever your feelings about the long term future of co-ops, don't allow any proposition which might lead to a merger or re-organisation until remuneration is transparent.

In fact, members could do a lot worse than refuse to vote to accept the accounts until transparency is instilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mcgyvor

who said theres no money in farming we paid the 400k and were paying our coop executives similar figures

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    who will replace him and what salary will they be on?

What'll they have to offer to get anyone now,

He probably resigned for the same reason as I did :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement