Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General secretary of the IFA on a possible €400,000 salary-Read mod note in post 2734

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

cute geoge wrote: »
    Schools might be closed but that does not mean the principal is on holidays.
    What responsibility has the general secretary to anyone?
    What is his salary and what has he done to warrant extra payments.
    Sorry for all the questions but i am getting disillusioned with ifa claptrap

I'd say your questions will be answered shortly now that it's in the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

cute geoge wrote: »
    Schools might be closed but that does not mean the principal is on holidays.

Ahmmmm, that's a tough one Ted!

Grueller wrote: »
    If thats the case he has no right to go public now. Does smack of sour grapes given what you posted earlier rangler but it is some wedge and is very bad pr for the association.

Glad to be out of it, but it's no harm to have it out in the open.
    Driving to Dublin to listen to that was a right pain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

400k salary, what's the fooking pension going to be?:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

blue5000 wrote: »

And the payoff / golden handshake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

rangler1 wrote: »
    I don't see that it matters how it relates to farmers, it has to relate to the real world when you go looking to employ professionals

It is farmers who pay for their membership, who also pay with money taken from milk and cattle checks, that pay these salaries.
    That is why it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Serious blow to the IFA and going to be a hard sell to the farmer members making their contributions.

If one reads the piece properly it's clear that Dean is guessing the amount. Get the story out get attention for whatever reason.

If however it proves to be correct there's no way in hell is the reported salary fitting the position or indeed just reward for the mans capabilities.

I attended a meeting with a small group of farmers at which Mr Smith spoke and to say he was underwhelming is a gross understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Dawggone wrote: »
    Ahmmmm, that's a tough one Ted!

Drive by a school at about 5 in the evening chances are the principals car will be outside, also not uncommon to see the same car outside a school twice or three times a week during the summer holidays.
    I am biased in my defense of teachers but the vast majority of the general public have their head in the sand with regards to the true workload of teaching jobs. Landing into an office and taking it easy on a laptop for a couple of hours is common in many white collar jobs but not a hope a teacher gets that chance, 30 kids don't be long getting restless if they're not kept active and challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭alps

Serious blow to the IFA and going to be a hard sell to the farmer members making their contributions.

If one reads the piece properly it's clear that Dean is guessing the amount. Get the story out get attention for whatever reason.

If however it proves to be correct there's no way in hell is the reported salary fitting the position or indeed just reward for the mans capabilities.

I attended a meeting with a small group of farmers at which Mr Smith spoke and to say he was underwhelming is a gross understatement

I would reckon this is Deane's launch on the top job. We're just 2 years out and reckon if it's not Deane it's a coleague and they will run the anti establishment ploy. If this is the case were in for a boisterous 2 years.

400k, absolute abhorrent money, alleged to here but could be a sum made up of salary, pension sub, and also many lucrative board positions that the general secretary holds.

Gonna be a lot of head scratching around the country by officers and volunteers who put up hours and milage for nothing in their quest to better themselves, their neighbours and their colleagues.

Keep saying it..."Animal Farm"....the complete manual in understanding the workings if the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

alps wrote: »
    I would reckon this is Deane's launch on the top job. We're just 2 years out and reckon if it's not Deane it's a coleague and they will run the anti establishment ploy. If this is the case were in for a boisterous 2 years.

Unlikely as Deane is in the politics side and would only be on expenses only same as Downey. Deane wouldn't have the experience or qualifications to take on Smith's role. Could have taken you up wrong if you mean he is looking to take on the presidents role though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭alps

MF290 wrote: »
    Unlikely as Deane is in the politics side and would only be on expenses only same as Downey. Deane wouldn't have the experience or qualifications to take on Smith's role. Could have taken you up wrong if you mean he is looking to take on the presidents role though

Yep....someone's pushing for President

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wasnt this made public months ago? Think it was on the front page of the findo. Out of interest how much would Eddie Downey be on?

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is farmers who pay for their membership, who also pay with money taken from milk and cattle checks, that pay these salaries.
    That is why it matters.

So you can get your accountant/vet/dr to work for the same rate as you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

So the SG's salary is private information. Typical IFA double speak...they dont really set a good precedence so when calling for transparency within industry

blue5000 wrote: »

I think that's where it differs from civil service in that his pension is based on what he or ifa pays in....can't see it being the cs bonanza anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Your pension can only be max 60k after which point it is tax inefficient to save for one. That says it all about 400k salary. And you have rangler trying to justify it! Head of IBEC on half that. Fair play to Derek Deane

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

I sold corn to the co op and there was money taken off cheque and when I looked at invoice it was from IFA , I went back in to co op to tell them I did not agree to giving them money but they told me that they can't give me back that money.
    That to me is daylight robbery and I should have gone down to the garda station to report a robbery.
    The IFA do nothing for farmers and they also come to my and other farmers door looking for money too .
    I think the farmers themself need to stand together like the french and protest against bad prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A lad that can't be good to himself can't be any good to anyone else Rangler isn't that it?
    Ah nearly time for a seasonal pull out of the placards now.
    Angry farmer, boiling point, crisis.. Get seen on the 9 o'clock news now and sure that'll keep the membership coming..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Look, it depends on what he'd get elsewhere, he doesn't have to stay if they drop his salary, Micheal Treacy and Micheal Berkery have moved on to good jobs, so there's no reason Pat Smith won't either

Tbh I don't think Berkery has worked well in fbd

adam14 wrote: »
    Your pension can only be max 60k after which point it is tax inefficient to save for one. That says it all about 400k salary. And you have rangler trying to justify it! Head of IBEC on half that. Fair play to Derek Deane

Derek deane kicked off like this at the agm and demanded that there be a vote of no confidence in pat smith, and he wanted to have the vote in three weeks.
    You can ask anyone that was there if this is true, but I kicked off the charge against Derek and insisted on the vote being held immediately because I know the way he'd be canvassing and I really thought we put him back in his box, but alas, I wasn't there to mark him after that.
    Where will this stop, I wouldn't support transparency because our expenses are pathetic towards the real world, and that's the next thing the members would expect to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I wouldn't support transparency because our expenses are pathetic towards the real world, and that's the next thing the members would expect to know

Jasus ranger where to begin after a statement like that!
    Do you not think that the plebs that pay this money, you and me, deserve to know (and should always have known ) where how and to whom this money is going to.
    Do you genuinely believe (all allegiances aside) that this is value for money?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Tbh I don't think Berkery has worked well in fbd

They're tolerating him well, he's there around 25 years now

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Jasus ranger where to begin after a statement like that!
    Do you not think that the plebs that pay this money, you and me, deserve to know (and should always have known ) where how and to whom this money is going to.
    Do you genuinely believe (all allegiances aside) that this is value for money?

That's my opinion, if it wasn't the opinion of the national excutive I'd have to accept it, but whether I'd accept posts on that basis would be another story.
    Value for money? well I've got back many times what I've put into it so I suppose it is

That's my opinion, if it wasn't the opinion of the national excutive I'd have to accept it, but whether I'd accept posts on that basis would be another story.
    Value for money? well I've got back many times what I've put into it so I suppose it is

Ah don't be silly now. Accept posts on what basis?

So you go along with it if a few men at the top table tell you to. But the opinion of the poor clowns bank rolling the whole operating doesn't matter.

I think that your to close to this really to be commenting objectively.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Ah don't be silly now. Accept posts on what basis?

So you go along with it if a few men at the top table tell you to. But the opinion of the poor clowns bank rolling the whole operating doesn't matter.

I think that your to close to this really to be commenting objectively.

On the basis of my payments being made known.

The executive board is a few men on the top table.
    The national executive is all the co chairmen from round the country, ordinary farmers like you and I, so I accept the democratic decision of them.
    I see they voted against Derek again.....will he ever learn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

I had an odd feeling that he was unlikely to be worth 400K in the real world, and that's without hearing so much as a squeak from him.

Funny that.

The national executive is all the co chairmen from round the country, ordinary farmers like you and I, so I accept the democratic decision of them.

And I and everyone else should know exactly to the penny how much you and everyone else gets. You shouldn't be ignoring the opinions off the vast majority of the organisation and them preach to me about democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They must have a lot to hide, that is what a lack of transparency say in this case.

Farmers want to know how their membership money and other money taken from sales is spent.

Surely as it is farmers who pay for these wages, we should know what people are getting. We can look and see what a neighbour is getting in their tax funded payments state/EU payments, but the IFA seem to think they are a special case.

It sounds like they are trying to hide a gravy train, which they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

DD may be wronged here he was not the first to kick this show off. That honour has to be given to Con Lucey former chief economist of the IFA who resigned from the audit committee of the IFA over it is rumoured officer renumeration rates. Con resigned over a year ago. There was a push at the time for the publication of renumeration rates but it was brushed under the table. I cannot post full url's as this is my first post however if you insert a 'w' before link details on his leaving should come up

ww.independent.ie/business/farming/resignation-of-con-lucey-provokes-unease-within-ifa-30588636.html

DD bought his motion up earlier this year below are details of the meeting. It should be noted that while the vote was lost 27-5 there was we are led to believe a large number that abstained. It should be noted that it was a show of hands vote like Charlie used to have in the good old days in FF. So you had to put your head above the parpet.

ww.agriland.ie/farming-news/unease-remains-ifa-vote-confidence-general-secretary/

The other thing to note is that often when those on supeer high wages are highlighted the use of market rates and bench marking against other on massive pay are used. As well it is often highlighted that previous incumbent's marched off into the sunset to high payed consultant/ board room work. Issue with this is that this then allows the push on of the wages of those other who are highlighted. 400K if it is true is an excessive salary to run what is a fairly small organisation in international terms. What are similar organisation heads in France and Germany earning??? In Ireland the Golden Cricle liked to be benchmarked agaist each other rather than against international peers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is as irish as it gets.
    " I'm trousering some extra money so we turn a blind eye to any financial irregularities"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement