Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

mf240 wrote: »
    Bought milking cows there a couple of times in the last few years and that clown spouting would nearly put you off.

Is he as bad as bop bop bop bop in Castleisland. There is a real lad that will do your head in the dealers can hardly understand him.

TBH marts are split in two those that need dealers to buy there cattle and those that do not. Even those that do have a large farmer presence buying still tend to defer to dealers even if they look like they do not. I tend to buy at marts that are considered dealers marts. I find that so called farmers marts screw the farmer buying a lot of the time. A dealer mart will as well if they only see you once off if you keep going and drive the cattle by 20-30 euro they will let you be.

I have little sympathy for dairy farmers selling calves or culls these are byproducts of their system . Too many beef farmers pay over the top like at present for such cattle. At present I think calves are overvalued too many lads panicking as there are fewer store's around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Bought milking cows there a couple of times in the last few years and that clown spouting would nearly put you off.

Tbf MF they have good milch cows selling there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Tbf MF they have good milch cows selling there.

Agreed . I was happy with any i bought in it.

Staff in yard are sound too.

Yer man is straight enough, its just he thinks hes funny and he isint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Is carnew that bad gg? I

We never got on well in it sold very good weaning in it last few yr and they were given away
    and we'd know David well. Sold our farm for us.
    Enniscorthy is a good mart I'm told. Never sold in it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have little sympathy for dairy farmers selling calves or culls these are byproducts of their system . Too many beef farmers pay over the top like at present for such cattle. At present I think calves are overvalued too many lads panicking as there are fewer store's around.

Its lads like you that pisses me off marts
    The odd time they show up in a mart they want stock at there own price
    At least cattle jobbers will be there the dear day as well as the cheap day and are not shy of driving on prices if they can get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

cute geoge wrote: »
    At least cattle jobbers will be there the dear day as well as the cheap day and are not shy of driving on prices if they can get away with it

None of us deserve charity but some lads take the piss. Called to a dairy farmer last spring looking for calves. He was blowing that he was getting nearly 50 cent a ltr and wanted 400 quid for 3 week old FR/AA calves. I hope the miserable cumt still has them.

None of us deserve charity but some lads take the piss. Called to a dairy farmer last spring looking for calves. He was blowing that he was getting nearly 50 cent a ltr and wanted 400 quid for 3 week old FR/AA calves. I hope the miserable cumt still has them.

So do I . Theyll be worth 700 hundred if he does.

cute geoge wrote: »

The reality is that for dairy farmers beef is not the main enterprise. These are the same lads that want us beef farmers to rear their dairy heifers for 90c/day as ( sur that is all they make at beef)./ Most dealers are only turning cattle especially those that are longer than 70 days from finish. Most of the time if I buy cattle that are too dear I am losing money.

A farmers only friend is his pocket. And yes I will be there the day they are expensive but generally I keep my hand in my pocket.

The reality is if me or you buy cattle at that price we are leaving a dairy farmers with the most profit on the animal.

So do I . Theyll be worth 700 hundred if he does.

There would be no margin for him if he got 3-400 out of the yard at 3 weeks. He have done a lot of work for 50ish euro's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

€400 seems excessive for any calf and nearly all dairy lads would snap your had off at€300 for a good he/aa
    I sold good br.fr 4 weeks bulls at mart for €135 last week, I cant see why lads leave these after them and buy whiteheads .
    Most dairy lads would at least need this or it does not make sense even to go to the trouble of feeding them ,At 4 weeks they would have drank [25x8l] 200 litres of milk and tagging and bvd test would add another €7. I can not see how ye are complaing to get them cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

SeLling calves to a neighbour and his paying me in bales , im saying 5 bales per fr bull and he thinks 4, what do ye think, good bales in fairness as he works with the contractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

We sell calves to our baling contractor but we just agree on price of calves and that goes against the bill I owe him or if the balance is my way I take his bill off the cost of calves. Perhaps depending on number of calves you could go 4.5 per calf meet half way

keep going wrote: »
    SeLling calves to a neighbour and his paying me in bales , im saying 5 bales per fr bull and he thinks 4, what do ye think, good bales in fairness as he works with the contractor

Nine bales for two calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Just make sure there round bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

For those of you buying FR bull calves, what do you plan to do with them?

• Advertisement

For those of you buying FR bull calves, what do you plan to do with them?

Stuff them and display on the mantle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Just make sure there round bales

And not well packed Mchale fusion bales

What age and quality are the Friesian bulls. If they are less than 3 weeks and if you are getting good quality big bales then they are worth 25/bale. Is he delivering the bales as well. If delivered the 4 bales are costing 110 in the yard. I presume he is collecting the calves and you have no fees. You need to be getting 120++ in the mart.

At 5 bales delivered he be giving you 140 in the yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We never got on well in it sold very good weaning in it last few yr and they were given away
    and we'd know David well. Sold our farm for us.
    Enniscorthy is a good mart I'm told. Never sold in it though

carnew mart is flying and when david selling serious trade for the last couple of months,the only person david likes is money and if you think you know david well your a fool nobody knows david well,
    if enniscorthy mart is so good how come all other parts of the business has being lost and wexford men passing the gate to go to carnew,
    the last two years we went to enniscorthy to buy calves and the manager wouldnt take our bid only eyes for the dealers,

as for the man in kk with the travelling gavel he is like rewinded record and getting wore out,

• Advertisement

carnew mart is flying and when david selling serious trade for the last couple of months,the only person david likes is money and if you think you know david well your a fool nobody knows david well,
    if enniscorthy mart is so good how come all other parts of the business has being lost and wexford men passing the gate to go to carnew,
    the last two years we went to enniscorthy to buy calves and the manager wouldnt take our bid only eyes for the dealers,

as for the man in kk with the travelling gavel he is like rewinded record and getting wore out,
    Fair enough I'm just giving my experience there sold lots in carnew over the yrs and never got the price we should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What's a nice lim heifer out a British friesan worth roughly at the moment lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

Took 6 calves to mart today..
    Belgian blue male 410
    Belgian blue male 365
    Bb female 355
    Bb male 285
    2 fr males 95

Oldest calf was 29 days old
    Big demand for whitehead and belgian blues pity i dont have 100 of them eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Sold 12 Fr/Holstein bulls out of the yard, average 30 days old, €170.

Good price, repeat customer?

Took 6 calves to mart today..
    Belgian blue male 410
    Belgian blue male 365
    Bb female 355
    Bb male 285
    2 fr males 95

Oldest calf was 29 days old
    Big demand for whitehead and belgian blues pity i dont have 100 of them eh.

I'm out with calves again tomorrow all 2 wks or less, will be rode again but let someone else have them.

Ran He mop up bulls but won't have any for a week or so. Saw a very plain whitehead 3wo making €300, madness of the highest order

Seen small jerseys in the mart yesterday 2.50 each or four for a tenner. Think one just got fired in for luck at 0.00

Commision is 7 euro to buy. Prob 5 to sell. Should be a disposal scheme in place or better still funding for sexed semen reseach and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

In Nenagh mart today. Saw fr bulls 2/3 wks making 50/60 euro, light lads and some same age making 120/140 but much stronger in shape. I would question some of the ages of these calves. Anyone think the same?.
    Agree with you frazzled we been rode on these holstien lads.
    BB bull reared , fine calf 495 E.
    2 SIM calves ,M, narrow as f***k 295.00 madness!!!!!!!

Bought this lady today for 300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Best of luck with her, she should make a nice replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Milked out wrote: »
    Good price, repeat customer?

Yes, wants the same again next week. Good calves on 7 lts and potential O grades.

• Advertisement

joejobrien wrote: »
    In Nenagh mart today. Saw fr bulls 2/3 wks making 50/60 euro, light lads and some same age making 120/140 but much stronger in shape. I would question some of the ages of these calves. Anyone think the same?.

Agree on age. See "2" week old calves and they're fit to be skulled. Seller can puff out his chest and talk of the €160 for a fr forgetting the cost. I see guys bringing calves this week will bring some older ones next week and nothing wrong with that. I just bring everything with card and BVD, get rid before they cost anymore

Seen small jerseys in the mart yesterday 2.50 each or four for a tenner. Think one just got fired in for luck at 0.00

Commision is 7 euro to buy. Prob 5 to sell. Should be a disposal scheme in place or better still funding for sexed semen reseach and use.

A guy landed at my local mart 3 wks ago with 50 Jex. Backed in unloaded numbered them and left. Heard him say to manager that he didn't want a bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

A guy landed at my local mart 3 wks ago with 50 Jex. Backed in unloaded numbered them and left. Heard him say to manager that he didn't want a bill

Who was that now frazzeld!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mahoney_j wrote: »

Greengrass I heard

Reggie. wrote: »
    Greengrass I heard

I wish.....I'd have 100 cows milk then and no where to put it

In all seriousness. How can the mart not have a bill for you. Lads paying 2.50 are being let of commision so theyll take the calves. marts cant operate for free either. Plus buyers get fed up waiting around for the normal calves to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What age is she LC? You've an eye for replacements ;)

joejobrien wrote: »

No you are not being rode on Ho lads buying those BB will not leave a bob if finished in Ireland. At present a Friesian that kill 320kgs at under 30 months grading O-3 is making about 1250 max. A 30-36 months Friesian killing 380 kgs grading O=3/4 is making about 1480. No room to pay any more than 50-100 euro for such calves. If you think there is money in finish them yourself.

In 18 months time if stores are expensive and there is a lot of them around Pudsey will be keeping his fist in his pocket until the following spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

In all seriousness. How can the mart not have a bill for you. Lads paying 2.50 are being let of commision so theyll take the calves. marts cant operate for free either. Plus buyers get fed up waiting around for the normal calves to come in.

Unless sold as a group, possibly not even going through the ring. A manager you'd imagine would know his clients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

I sold a FR Bull in Castleisland on the 16th Feb = 57 euro. The same age calves today (2 weeks) in Milltown 30, 40 and 51 euro respectively.

just do it wrote: »
    What age is she LC? You've an eye for replacements ;)

14 days on the card anyway, wouldn't think she's much older. Seems a nice type of a calf alright, don't think there's too much Holstein in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

The calf sold in Castleisland made 157 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

serious number of fr bulls hitting the marts this week,

also some very poor quality hex and aax stock , seems when some dairy men have enough cows bulled for replacements they throw any kind of beef breed to mop up , as long as he is able to a mount a cow he'll do

with suckler cow numbers declining , factories will have a field day in a couple of years,

orm0nd wrote: »
    serious number of fr bulls hitting the marts this week,

also some very poor quality hex and aax stock , seems when some dairy men have enough cows bulled for replacements they throw any kind of beef breed to mop up , as long as he is able to a mount a cow he'll do

with suckler cow numbers declining , factories will have a field day in a couple of years,

Why will they have a field day.When lads stop producing those loss making sucklers there will be 10K less cattle a week for factory to mess with. When there stuck they will take goats. A prominent procurement manager with one of the processors said that British supermarkets are quite happy with O+ grading cattle. It those sucklers killing over 400kgs that usually cause all the problems.

mahoney_j wrote: »

Can assure you it wasn't me. Averaging €70 since start. Lowest price €20 highest €150

• Advertisement

I've no Idea wheather bill was sent or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Why will they have a field day.When lads stop producing those loss making sucklers there will be 10K less cattle a week for factory to mess with. When there stuck they will take goats. A prominent procurement manager with one of the processors said that British supermarkets are quite happy with O+ grading cattle. It those sucklers killing over 400kgs that usually cause all the problems.

If there's less sucklers will this not drive up the costs of calves even further or will the dairy expansion balance this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

did you buy her for a cow or you gona rear her on the bucket??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Can assure you it wasn't me. Averaging €70 since start. Lowest price €20 highest €150

Adlib feeding these guys too?
    Are you acidifying the milk.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

No you are not being rode on Ho lads buying those BB will not leave a bob if finished in Ireland. At present a Friesian that kill 320kgs at under 30 months grading O-3 is making about 1250 max. A 30-36 months Friesian killing 380 kgs grading O=3/4 is making about 1480. No room to pay any more than 50-100 euro for such calves. If you think there is money in finish them yourself.

In 18 months time if stores are expensive and there is a lot of them around Pudsey will be keeping his fist in his pocket until the following spring.

Your consistent with the overpriced fr bull calf argument I'll give you that.

What state do you reckon calves will come off farm this time next year when all theyll make is 50 euro.

Podzol has a client who sees value in paying a better price for a well cared for calf ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement